12 hours ago, hutch said:

As long as he lights up those four jet engine limbs of his and spins like a top, I’m there. 

I'm looking forward to the gymnastics at a water or power station (or whatever it was).

Just saw it was animated, boohoo.  Oh Well, I'm still looking forward to it!

On 1/25/2023 at 6:37 AM, Thom said:

Saw this, and liked it a lot! Much better than Wandering Earth or Warriors of Future (which I did not finish). And the trailer was misleading, at least for me... It's very character driven and emotional.

If there was one thing I'd change about the ending...

Hide contents

....it would be to have Seo-hyun put her 'mother' into the pleasure bot that one guy was working on. It was far more of a human-simulacrum than all the others, and wouldhave offered her more of a life and freedom than the strictly android body she ended up in.

Just a small quibble, though.

I watched this last week, and overall, I enjoyed it as well. The action scenes were very well done, and the mother-daughter story was integral to the plot, and well done emotionally. On a sad note, Kang Soo-yeon who played the daughter/scientist character passed away IRL before the film's release. She was only 55. 

Spoiler

Agree about the placement of the mother's personality download; it would have served her better looking more like her organic body, but the way the story went, there was really no opportunity for her to do so. The android was really well done, all the CG, really. However, the android reminded me of a copy of Asimov's Robots of Dawn I bought as a kid featuring a beautifully rendered R. Giskard on the cover. If they ever did that story as a film or tv show, I'd hope Giskard would be similarly done. The only real negative I have about the film as a whole is the rather cartoonish over-the-top portrayal of the Kronoid Lab's director, Kim Sang-Hoon, himself an android who doesn't know he's an android.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Tetris and Air Jordans. Is this trend in movies how rich people became billionaires?

Years ago we had movies about Jobs and Zuckerberg. Billionaires and the soul-less companies are so relatable.

That why I feel COCAINE BEAR’s underlying theme (that our wanton, unchecked consumerism, our insatiable desire for more (symbolized by CB’s desire for moar coke!!!11!!) will undoubtedly lead to our own destruction and of everything around us) pierces to the very core of my being.  🤓

😶. . . 🤪

New Lord Of The Rings movies coming! Not a reboot. Scant details, but exploring more of Tolkien's world. And yes , Peter Jackson will be involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/feb/24/new-lord-of-the-rings-films-in-the-works-at-warner-bros

Also , I wasn't aware, an animated film The War Of The Rohirrim is coming April 2024. Set 183 years before the Fellowship Of The Ring.

Edited by Bolt

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

New Lord Of The Rings movies coming! Not a reboot. Scant details, but exploring more of Tolkien's world. And yes , Peter Jackson will be involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/feb/24/new-lord-of-the-rings-films-in-the-works-at-warner-bros

Also , I wasn't aware, an animated film The War Of The Rohirrim is coming April 2024. Set 183 years before the Fellowship Of The Ring.

I’d watch any of those if they don’t have a creepy toothy Galadriel like the cringy one in Rings of Power 

3 minutes ago, Big s said:

I’d watch any of those if they don’t have a creepy toothy Galadriel like the cringy one in Rings of Power 

Lol. I haven't gotten around to seeing TROP yet. So Galadriel is still epic , in my mind. I'm gonna have to see it though AND re read the Silmarlion . If only to speculate which era/ stories Might be made into a new trilogy now . Let the speculation begin!

1 minute ago, Bolt said:

Lol. I haven't gotten around to seeing TROP yet. So Galadriel is still epic , in my mind. I'm gonna have to see it though AND re read the Silmarlion . If only to speculate which era/ stories Might be made into a new trilogy now . Let the speculation begin!

You’re not missing much. Just a lot of her talking through her teeth because the actress couldn’t open her mouth far enough to speak normally and a bunch of evil useless non hobbits that will leave you behind to die if you twist your ankle 

22 minutes ago, Big s said:

You’re not missing much. Just a lot of her talking through her teeth because the actress couldn’t open her mouth far enough to speak normally and a bunch of evil useless non hobbits that will leave you behind to die if you twist your ankle 

Wow. All that for 450 million (to make the series ) US.. 

Edited by Bolt

Same. I’m not fond of Amazon or WB trying to build a billion-dollar cinematic fantasy universe. Although these studios may have the money to make wild contracts with the Tolkien Estate, there are other places to go and other stories to tell. This all feels like returning to the safety of repeat ideas.

Of the live-action productions, I rate The Hobbit at the bottom of the pack. Rings of Power is all right but still ongoing and could get messy if Amazon goes way, way astray the source material. LotR is still my favorite. I like all the old animated films, so I’m looking forward to the new one. But if this turns into another Marvel or Star Wars non-stop thing, I can see myself getting exhausted by it.

Agreed. I think what works against a new movie is that LOTR trilogy set such a high bar, ROTK got the Academy Award for Best Picture while the first films two were nominated. So anything following, including THE HOBBIT trilogy just won't be as good expectations wise. Whereas STAR WARS never set such a high bar, ESB was super close tho, so it can get away with follow ups. Plus it has the advantage of being set in a huge galaxy.

But who knows, I could be wrong just like I was with ANDOR, which is fine 😀

I got three episodes in on Rings of Power, had to bail, it was terribad. The trilogy doesn't need rebooted, I fear what they will change to "fit" with modern audiences, Rings of Power was bad enough, now they've gotta ruin The Trilogy? Rings of Power was just so incompetent, uninteresting, badly acted, predictable, I watched Critical Drinker's video review just to catch the rest of the first season's story and yikes, it was as predicted, and yet somehow even worse.