On 12/22/2022 at 12:39 PM, sh9000 said:

Hmm, looks like a cross between Ghost in the Shell, Westworld, and Battle Angel Alita. I'm a fan of all three, so I'm in for a watch. I hope it'll be well-written and adventure outside of the tropes previously established by its predecessors.

Over New Year’s I watched the sequel to Rian Johnson's whodunnit Knives Out: Glass Onion.

And I’m sad to say that is a  movie with massive plot holes, terrible pacing and useless and nonsensical characters,  stupid gimmicks and plot strings that lead to nothing.
However, it is masqueraded by good actors, dialog and cinematography, which is tricking critics into thinking it is a good movie.

Just like another Rian Johnson movie…

Spoiler

The resolution of the movie is that the perpetrator is an idiot, so the case is hard to figure out because  Danial Craig's sleuth is assuming an mastermind at play.

And if your explanation for the murder plot is, that an imbecile is your culprit, you can explain  anything in the movie without any logic necessary. 

This in itself is a huge problem is this kind of movie.

Anyhow, since Knives Out received so much praise and I hadn’t seen it, I watched it the next evening and I have to say it is a perfectly good movie that has none of the issues of Glas Onion but all the positive parts.

So Rian Johnson seems to be capable of putting out movies with a wide array of quality.

Maybe anytime he gets praise for a legitimately good movie he botches it the next time.

Edited by Scyla

18 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

We watched the red band version of the trailer last night and it looks great. I like this silly take on Dracula and his henchman. There’s little bits like the fact that he warns the guy trying to invite the vampire in that are pretty funny. Hope the film lives up to how entertaining the preview was

17 hours ago, Scyla said:

Anyhow, since Knives Out received so much praise and I hadn’t seen it, I watched it the next evening and I have to say it is a perfectly good movie that has none of the issues of Glas Onion but all the positive parts.

So Rian Johnson seems to be capable of putting out movies with a wide array of quality.

Maybe anytime he gets praise for a legitimately good movie he botches it the next time.

My thoughs exactly. We'll see if the next movie is actually good again.

The very fist sequence with the arrival of the boxes, Bautista's character's mom & Craig in the tub playing Among Us is pretty funny, but cou can safely turn off the movie right after that.

If you check the trivia section on imdb, you'll find an ongoing litany of how cleverly the movie is contructed, and still the result is a terrible waste of time.

4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

My thoughs exactly. We'll see if the next movie is actually good again.

The very fist sequence with the arrival of the boxes, Bautista's character's mom & Craig in the tub playing Among Us is pretty funny, but cou can safely turn off the movie right after that.

If you check the trivia section on imdb, you'll find an ongoing litany of how cleverly the movie is contructed, and still the result is a terrible waste of time.

One of the reviews I read afterwards summed it up pretty well: "the movie thinks it is much smarter than it actually is".

While I liked the opening of the movie (yeah seeing Daniel Craig in the tub playing Among Us is pretty funny) it is already super dated now. I mean who will remember Among Us and Covid vaccinations in 2028?

I don’t know why Rian Johnson felt the need to make it that way if if has almost no impact on the plot, other than a bit of foreshadowing.

23 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just finished THE MENU on HBO Max. Great cast and fun to watch, highly recommended. ,

Good to hear ! I'm looking forward to checking it out. Wasn't sure what to think , as its a horror parody.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 3:31 PM, Bolt said:

That looks pretty good. Also looks a bit predictable . But, i will definitely check it out. 

IMO, it’s ok. Nothing special story-wise. Not worth a rewatch.

Spoiler

It’s basically a child-saving-the-parent-through-AI story. 

2 minutes ago, azrael said:

IMO, it’s ok. Nothing special story-wise. Not worth a rewatch.

Reveal hidden contents

It’s basically a child-saving-the-parent-through-AI story. 

I watched it last night. And I couldn't agree with you more.

On 1/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, sh9000 said:

Not sure why the trailer was deleted since only the teaser was posted so here it is valid to post again.

You can do far, far worse than borrow liberally from Ghost in the Shell. Wanna see it!

On 1/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, Big s said:

We watched the red band version of the trailer last night and it looks great. I like this silly take on Dracula and his henchman. There’s little bits like the fact that he warns the guy trying to invite the vampire in that are pretty funny. Hope the film lives up to how entertaining the preview was

This is gonna be a fun movie. I think my wife, who loves cheesy humor (Mel Brooks and the like), will really enjoy it.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

This is gonna be a fun movie. I think my wife, who loves cheesy humor (Mel Brooks and the like), will really enjoy it.

That and Nick Cage is not a great actor, but he’s great when he’s crazy or murderous or both. Even though he’s not the main character, I think he’d make a great Dracula 

13 hours ago, Big s said:

That and Nick Cage is not a great actor, but he’s great when he’s crazy or murderous or both. Even though he’s not the main character, I think he’d make a great Dracula 

Yeah, I'm thinking he's going to be stealing the show every time he has a bit of scenery to chew, pun intended. 😇

On 1/5/2023 at 8:16 PM, sh9000 said:

Not sure why the trailer was deleted since only the teaser was posted so here it is valid to post again.

Saw this, and liked it a lot! Much better than Wandering Earth or Warriors of Future (which I did not finish). And the trailer was misleading, at least for me... It's very character driven and emotional.

If there was one thing I'd change about the ending...

Spoiler

....it would be to have Seo-hyun put her 'mother' into the pleasure bot that one guy was working on. It was far more of a human-simulacrum than all the others, and wouldhave offered her more of a life and freedom than the strictly android body she ended up in.

Just a small quibble, though.

Just got to watch Violent Night now that it's on Peacock, what a damn fun R rated Christmas movie! I really enjoyed it start to finish, Harbour is great as Santa, there's laughs, there's violence, there's Christmas spirit, definitely a fun watch, highly recommended.

1 hour ago, hutch said:

Gamera is really neat!

He is full of turtle meat!

We’ve been eating Gamera!

We don’t eat turtles over here. They’re our friends and we flip them upright when they stumble and they eat the carrots and other veggies because they don’t try to eat us either.

Although, I have been wondering how they taste. Just don’t tell anyone that I said that, especially the turtle friends