On 11/6/2021 at 3:24 PM, sqidd said:

The wife and I just watched this. Thought it was fantastic. A slow burn drama I guess. Pretty intense if you're in the mood.

I wonder how much stuff has been destroyed from actors shoving everything off a desk , table, etc in anger or frustration? If I did that every time I got pissed, I'd be out hundreds if not thousands of dollars of stuff that I actually cared about.  That's what I thought about watching the Guilty trailer.  It looks like the usual melodramatic stuff that Hollywood puts out, but I may give it a gander at some point.

Saw Last Night in Soho at the theater. It was a matinee on Thursday, and I was the only one in the theater, the first time that's happened in many years. Enjoyed the film; although Anya Taylor-Joy is showcased heavily in the trailer, the film follows the journey of a young woman named Eloise, Ellie for short, played memorably by Thomasin Mckenzie, a relative Hollywood newcomer. Based upon this performance, I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of Ms. Mckenzie.  Without spoiling anything that the trailer hasn't already given away, Ellie identifies with a another young woman from the past named Sandy, (Taylor-Joy), and that association leads her on an unexpected path.  There's a bit of a mystery/horror vibe to the film.  I thought it was beautifully shot, with a lot of very cool effects to illustrate said association between the two leads. Mckenzie is adorable, and her likability and vulnerability keep you invested emotionally with Ellie throughout the film.  Both leads gave strong performances in their respective roles, but Mckenzie really carries the film, which is impressive for a young actress whose name I didn't know before entering the theater. I do now. Nod to Matt Smith, the former eleventh Doctor from Dr. Who, for playing a character a bit seedier than the role he's most known for, and playing it well.  Diana Rigg plays a good turn as the world weary landlady, Mrs. Collins.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Midway is a decent movie.  It follows the history much more closely then the Pearl Harbor movie did.

Yeah, that was a very welcome surprise for me. 

Chris

On 11/28/2021 at 7:37 AM, derex3592 said:

Wife and I watched Red Notice on our new 4K TV.  It was very much a "turn off your brain and enjoy it" movie.  Pretty fun actually, I'm in for a sequel.  

It is a "fun" movie for what it is, and you're right, they want the brain turned off.  As soon as it was over and I turned mine back on, all I could think was Netflix went to Reynold's and said, "Make us a Hitman's Bodyguard with a twist."  Dwayne just can't play off of Reynold's near as well as Jackson.  While G.G. is great, she's no Hayeck.

Just watched The Summit of the Gods on Netflix.

Some may complain it's a slow film.  But it's immersive and stunning animation and gives you a sense of how crazy mountain climbing must be.

11 hours ago, Mog said:

Just watched The Summit of the Gods on Netflix.

Some may complain it's a slow film.  But it's immersive and stunning animation and gives you a sense of how crazy mountain climbing must be.

It's animated mountain climbing?

Just saw Ghostbusters Afterlife last night. I LOVED it! I really like all the new characters too, especially Phoebe. She reminds me so much of daughter it is scary. I had no problem with the nods to the old movie whatsoever which seems to be the main “complaint” of many reviewers and the cameo at the end was touching to me…screw you slashfilms reviewer. Really hope they make more as the post credit scene seemed to imply.

Chris

In case anyone is looking for a fun new holiday film that is entertaining and good for the whole family, then check out 8 Bit Christmas. It’s kinda like the story telling of princess bride and a Christmas Story. It’s good mix of nostalgia for the older crowd that grew up in the late 80’s and lighthearted fun for anyone else. It’s a bit sappy at times, but it is a Christmas movie so it’s expected 

6 hours ago, Big s said:

In case anyone is looking for a fun new holiday film that is entertaining and good for the whole family, then check out 8 Bit Christmas. It’s kinda like the story telling of princess bride and a Christmas Story. It’s good mix of nostalgia for the older crowd that grew up in the late 80’s and lighthearted fun for anyone else. It’s a bit sappy at times, but it is a Christmas movie so it’s expected 

Saw this over the weekend and wholly agree. The ending was a little out of left field, but still good.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:59 AM, Big s said:

Watched it last night with the family and really enjoyed it. Lots of nostalgia, some relatable grade-school antics, it was a fun little movie overall, part Christmas Story part 80s kid movie. 

On 12/6/2021 at 7:27 AM, Focslain said:

Saw this over the weekend and wholly agree. The ending was a little out of left field, but still good.

I actually really liked the ending, it was pretty realistic and had a solid message. 

I know there are a lot of 80’s nostalgia films and shows these days, but I really like how it was handled. The descriptions of how things were different and the parental overreaction to all things cool back then. I remember the satanic panic that went against dungeons and dragons and rock music and the arguments that cartoons teach us nothing but violence and were just half hour toy commercials. So when those parents have their meeting about the evils of Nintendo, that just had me laughing and wondering if kids these days would understand that adults were trying their best back then to kill all things fun.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:01 PM, Big s said:

I know there are a lot of 80’s nostalgia films and shows these days, but I really like how it was handled. The descriptions of how things were different and the parental overreaction to all things cool back then. I remember the satanic panic that went against dungeons and dragons and rock music and the arguments that cartoons teach us nothing but violence and were just half hour toy commercials. So when those parents have their meeting about the evils of Nintendo, that just had me laughing and wondering if kids these days would understand that adults were trying their best back then to kill all things fun.

Yup, hell the only truly inaccurate far fetched part was the NES based 16 bit 2D fighter.

14 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I'm in for the actor lineup alone.

I gotta agree. Color me intrigued.

watch this be a secret prequel  for True Blood and it’s true title is Erik the Northman. 😜

Chris

On 12/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, TangledThorns said:

We watched VIKINGS and The Last Kingdom back to back this year so we're kinda Viking'ed out but this looks really good!

I'm in.

Skarsgard is juiced to the gills.😲

On 12/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, Dobber said:

I gotta agree. Color me intrigued.

watch this be a secret prequel  for True Blood and it’s true title is Erik the Northman. 😜

Chris

That would be fun. If I remember correctly Eric's father was killed by werewolves though wasn't be? Or at least another vampire that had werewolves working for him?