15 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

If you want to watch a a movie that will cause your blood pressure to skyrocket from having so much hatred towards a main character or realizing this movie is based on some actual facts that if you are an Elderly person, these court appointed guardians can legally (mostly) take everything away from you, everything that you own including your family, this is the film for you. 

The highlight is Peter Dinklage as he is just such an awesome actor. 

Overall it's a good movie and Rosamund Pike proves she's a damn skilled actress. 

Yeah, friend showed this to me last month. I have never wanted a mob boss to win so much as I did in this movie.

I wanted it to be a really good and funny movie. The world could use that right now. We didn't get it. I refuse to waste my time watching it after all the bad reviews I've heard from friends who did.  Hollyweird can suck it. They couldn't come out with anything new, original or even half as good as they did back then if someone had a gun to their head. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching Thirst.

No jump scares. Only a little bit of gore... but a great take on the vampire genre. The directing makes the visual effects/stunts look like a 2021 release.

Highly recommended.

Screenshot_20210407-010600.png

Went to an actual theatre and watched the movie Nobody. It’s a fun movie and a good one to let out aggression, but probably won’t be super memorable. Definitely a good popcorn flick. It’s the first time I’ve gone back to the theater. The seating at the one we went to has a set up where no one can sit a couple seats between you or directly in front or behind you 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Wife picked the movie and watched THUNDER FORCE on Netflix.

...and that was the last time his wife ever got to pick the movie.  :vava:

Thankfully, my wife has learned to trust my judgment, rather than relying on her own intuition. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so Tenet came on HBO so I gave it a shot. I made 50% through. The wife made it about 25%. Either I'm really dumb (possible), or that movie was just plain confusing. Or maybe I didn't feel like working that hard to watch a movie. I generally give Nolan stuff a little wiggle room. There wasn't enough wiggle room in the world to make it through this one.

And people give Snyder a hard time for making pretty movies with bad stories............Why the sail boats!?!?! Was it because they looked cool? I thought I was watching a older Bond movie for a minute there.

Regarding Tenet, 

Spoiler

It’s a crazy twist on the whole time travel concept.  

Instead of traveling back in time and then moving forward through time from that point on, a person goes through that machine and then time travels BACKWARDS the entire time (or until he/she steps back into that machine).

So, someone experiencing the “normal” flow of time sees weird ish, where the effect happens before the cause.  Like you see a bullet hole in the wall, and then an explosion, and then a bullet going back into the gun.

But for the person flowing backwards through time, it looks like he fires the gun, an explosion happens, and then the bullet hits the wall (like normal).  It’s just that the rest of the world is going in reverse.

Yeah, it’s confusing as hell and thank God I had the subtitles on.

But it’s a crazy concept that must have been bonkers to film.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Regarding Tenet, 

Reveal hidden contents

It’s a crazy twist on the whole time travel concept.  

Instead of traveling back in time and then moving forward through time from that point on, a person goes through that machine and then time travels BACKWARDS the entire time (or until he/she steps back into that machine).

So, someone experiencing the “normal” flow of time sees weird ish, where the effect happens before the cause.  Like you see a bullet hole in the wall, and then an explosion, and then a bullet going back into the gun.

But for the person flowing backwards through time, it looks like he fires the gun, an explosion happens, and then the bullet hits the wall (like normal).  It’s just that the rest of the world is going in reverse.

Yeah, it’s confusing as hell and thank God I had the subtitles on.

But it’s a crazy concept that must have been bonkers to film.

I guess my issue is that while the concept was cool.......it just didn't translate well (for me).

Good point the the subtitles......:p

Most

Spoiler

time travel

stories make your head hurt.  This one can give you a monster migraine if ya ain’t careful.

The stories in The Prestige and Inception are definitely tighter.  But Nolan definitely likes to mash story and filming techniques in different ways.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, troyness said:

Just finished watching Thirst.

No jump scares. Only a little bit of gore... but a great take on the vampire genre. The directing makes the visual effects/stunts look like a 2021 release.

Highly recommended.

Screenshot_20210407-010600.png

You and I are now friends! B))

I've been recommending this film for years, Kim Ok Bin & Kong-ho Song are fantastic in this movie. 

19 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I've been recommending this film for years, Kim Ok Bin & Kong-ho Song are fantastic in this movie. 

Awesome, we're friends!!

All it took was Thirst. Now that we're friends, I was wondering if I could loan $700 off you? 

...but seriously been over woke. Just want good stories/acting & Korean movies have been providing. I just finished watching:

The Age of Shadows - loved it.

Memories of Murder- loved it.

Burning- loved it.

Train to Busan- meh. I find over acted zombies is hilarious..

The Wailing- loved it.

The movie I'm about to watch is :

Screenshot_20210510-021721.png

Watching another documentary on HBO MAX. The Inventor. About Elizabeth Holmes thinking she was the next Steve Jobs or something. Surprised she isn't in prison yet, gotta love our justice system.

If you owe the bank a million dollars, you're f'd. If you the bank 50 million dollars, the bank is f'd.

For the depth of her dishonesty, the harm she has caused to countless people, for giving people cause to distrust science and those who practice in good faith, I hope the courts have no mercy on her. Too often attractive but despicable people get off easy despite the profundity of their crimes, and I hope they make her an example of proper justice fit to the extent of her crimes. I hope she sees the world through bars for the entirety of her life going forward. Likewise her partner and any others in the company who knew the truth but kept the charade going while getting richer.

My heart goes out to Holmes' baby- this is the legacy she created for him/her. It's unfortunate that the misdeeds of criminals often follow their children. Hopefully, the kid rises above it all and becomes a better person.

It's rather amazing how many influential people jumped on board, and even Walgreens, very quickly without ensuring that what she promised really worked as advertised. How much of that eagerness to be a part of Theranos was due to genuinely wanting to make lives better, or just plain old greed?

Made the mistake of watching Stowaway on Netflix. I haven’t been so frustrated with a movie in a good while. The beginning makes no sense and the ending literally goes nowhere. The movie also has that used over too many times plot about not having enough air and needing to do some ridiculous climb on the outside to get more. The worst part is that you can’t spoil how the stowaway even gets stuck on the ship. They never bother to attempt to explain it. Somehow he was stuck behind a panel that had to be screwed in from the opposite side, as if someone else put him in there. He didn’t seem like he wanted to be there on purpose either. Even if he did he wouldn’t have been able to screw the panel in from the side he was on.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, 505thAirborne said:

On 5/9/2021 at 12:30 PM, troyness said:

Awesome, we're friends!!

All it took was Thirst. Now that we're friends, I was wondering if I could loan $700 off you? 

...but seriously been over woke. Just want good stories/acting & Korean movies have been providing. I just finished watching:

Burning- loved it.

The Wailing- loved it.

A Vampire movie I really enjoyed. I think mostly because it seems like people would really react.

11 minutes ago, Big s said:

Made the mistake of watching Stowaway on Netflix. I haven’t been so frustrated with a movie in a good while. The beginning makes no sense and the ending literally goes nowhere. The movie also has that used over too many times plot about not having enough air and needing to do some ridiculous climb on the outside to get more. The worst part is that you can’t spoil how the stowaway even gets stuck on the ship. They never bother to attempt to explain it. Somehow he was stuck behind a panel that had to be screwed in from the opposite side, as if someone else put him in there. He didn’t seem like he wanted to be there on purpose either. Even if he did he wouldn’t have been able to screw the panel in from the side he was on.

LOL, I was out before they left the atmosphere!! After the 100th "That's not how that works!!!!!!" I hit the eject button.:rofl:

8 minutes ago, Big s said:

Noticed that, too, which made the idea of his being a stowaway, which implies a knowing act to board a craft illegally, moot, and his placement within the alcove behind the panel couldn't have gone un-noticed by a technician securing that panel. I've done my share of securing aircraft panels, and checking for FOD, loose tools, clothing, rags, etc (unconscious coworker's body), is an ingrained part of the process before screwing the panel down. Occasionally rags or a tool get missed, but an adult body would be kinda difficult to overlook. Just sayin'.-_-

The old too many peeps, not enough O2 trope is an oldie but a goodie, and I enjoyed that aspect and the acting side of the film. I think this was the first time I've ever seen Anna Kendrick show emotion beyond flippancy and sarcasm; IMHO, she sold the performance. Toni Collette's good in just about everything she does- undersung actress.

The actors weren’t my problem with the movie. It was the fact that the creators didn’t bother with a story and only cared about a scenario. They didn’t care to have a beginning or even an ending, they only cared about the conflict and everything else was too difficult to care enough to even script. It’s a movie with a middle and that’s all. The actors could have handled an entire film or even an interesting miniseries, but the creators only gave them an incomplete movie to work around 

On 5/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, troyness said:

Awesome, we're friends!!

Burning- loved it.

The Wailing- loved it.

The Age of Shadows - Very good! 

Memories of Murder- Enjoyed it a lot! 

Burning- Still on my list. 

Train to Busan- This movie could have been a hot mess and yet overall, not to shabby. I'd watch it again. 

The Wailing & The Witness- Added to my list. 

$700.00 Loan... Nope! :lol::p

While not Vampire/Zombie films I'm actually a fan of the Whispering Corridors series. While they're not really scary or demented I do prefer a creepy story vs. a Jump scare/gore fest. 

@sqidd Thanks dude, I've added this one to the movie list to, looks good! 

8 hours ago, Big s said:

That sums up my critique, as well. I was waiting for them to explain why the stowaway was onboard and how he survived given his peculiar predicament. Alas, that explanation was never given to the audience. The fact that his character only serves as a plot MacGuffin is incredibly annoying, especially since he is established as a ground engineer once the crew does identify him. I kept thinking that the writers would use that detail to make him more useful and give him actual depth...

For me, the other irritating thing is how the movie kept introducing new 'no-win' scenarios in each of the main acts. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but by the final act--look another 'no-win' scenario--I found myself disconnected from the characters and their motives.

Edited by technoblue

On 5/10/2021 at 8:27 AM, TangledThorns said:

Watching another documentary on HBO MAX. The Inventor. About Elizabeth Holmes thinking she was the next Steve Jobs or something. Surprised she isn't in prison yet, gotta love our justice system.

If you owe the bank a million dollars, you're f'd. If you the bank 50 million dollars, the bank is f'd.

Wow, I got sucked into this the other night. I don't understand why I can't look away from horrible people doing horrible things.

Speaking of....Give this a watch.

Just watched TENET last night.  A nice take on time travel with some problems.  Spoilers ahead but it has been out over six months now.

The cars and people going backwards should have been going the other direction.  They are seen running backwards out of the copters for instance when they should have been running backwards into the copters.

I'm assuming the massive time paradox was on purpose and not a mistake due to how much they talked about paradoxes in general.  I keep thinking there was another couple of minor ones too but it was late...

EDIT - nice touch having the main character be BOTH of the people coming out of the time device.  (once again it was late, was he both?)

The movie had snappy dialog, well shot, nice direction, a pleasure to watch.  I like action movies but the older I get the more I require a touch of sophistication to go along with the action.

Edited by Dynaman

The wife and I watched this last night. Had a great time. Perfect Friday night popcorn flick. And despite zombies being beat to death between 2008-2016 I still enjoy a good zombie movie (when done right). Certainly some funny parts. Absolutely some intentional tropes. Predictable in a lot of ways like "Oh, that dude is getting killed this way" (which I think is kind of fun). 

The movie intentionally, what's the best way of putting this, made fun of itself at times? When trying to start the helicopter the sound it made first started with a radial piston motor sound (think WW2) mixed in and when it died ended with the unmistakable Millennium Falcon "oh crap, it just broke" sound. I was cracking up!:rofl: I can't help but think of the sound people laughing their tails off when they were putting that together.:lol:

Spoiler

There was some banter about time paradox between two characters at one point in the movie and I didn't make the possible connection and I'm not sure it's a thing (I'd have to watch it again) but my wife planted the seed that the "last man standing"  was actually the alpha/OG "zombie" (which I think is a super soldier program gone wrong) and the events were going to repeat themselves. It's pretty thin, but there could be something there.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dynaman said:

Just watched TENET last night.  A nice take on time travel with some problems.  Spoilers ahead but it has been out over six months now.

The cars and people going backwards should have been going the other direction.  They are seen running backwards out of the copters for instance when they should have been running backwards into the copters.

I'm assuming the massive time paradox was on purpose and not a mistake due to how much they talked about paradoxes in general.  I keep thinking there was another couple of minor ones too but it was late...

EDIT - nice touch having the main character be BOTH of the people coming out of the time device.  (once again it was late, was he both?)

The movie had snappy dialog, well shot, nice direction, a pleasure to watch.  I like action movies but the older I get the more I require a touch of sophistication to go along with the action.

If you click the icon that looks like an eyeball on the RH side of the tool bar you can hide your spoilers.