• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • sh9000 changed the title to Super7 Silverhawks Ultimates figures

Cartoons in the 80's really had some of the coolest openings. A little bait and switch with the animation since that was often so much better than the cartoon themselves.

At least, that's what my nostalgia-vision tells me. :D

-b.

16 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Cartoons in the 80's really had some of the coolest openings. A little bait and switch with the animation since that was often so much better than the cartoon themselves.

At least, that's what my nostalgia-vision tells me. :D

-b.

Your nostalgia-vision is correct, at least as far as Visionaries goes.  The dropoff in animation quality from the opening to the first three episodes to the ones that followed was quite dramatic.

In for Quicksilver, Steelheart, Steelwill, Copper Kidd, Bluegrass, and Mon*Star.  I haven't bought any Ultimates Thundercats yet but I might do the same and just collect the team and the main villain.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, Roy Focker said:

A year wait.  :(

How's Super 7 QC?

I'm In.  I so wanted to collect them back in the day but they were hard to find and cost more than other figures.  Only had a couple.

I don't get that year wait. But I guess this is like Mondo and other small figure companies. Or the pre-order thing that companies love to do these days to collect money, free interest, and have consumers wait for the product. It really shouldn't be normal or acceptable.

I don't remember Silverhawks figures being that expensive back in the day. I don't remember prices but I don't think any figure was more than $5. I'm talking GI Joe, He-Man, Visionaries. All the small figures. I would always get a few at a time. It wasn't like today with $20 figures or $55 for these Silverhawks. They are 7 inches but still that's adult collector price. Or vintage vehicle prices back in the day.

I know I had the full set of Silverhawks heroes and the jet. I came across them by surprise in a Circus World or Child World. The place that was setup like a castle. Got the figures before even seeing the show. They looked so cool with the wings and metallic finish. I believe parts of my jet turned the yellow color and either I tossed it or my parents did.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, Big s said:

The chrome on the old versions was really eye catching, but the new ones look closer to the animation color.

No the figures need the metal look. Just look at the opening again. All those shots with reflecting animation. Do a search for silverhawks cels as well. They are metal characters. For $55 they need to try harder. Steelheart's facial sculpt should be better too.

I might just wait and see if Tweeterhead makes statues of these characters one day since they are doing Masters of the Universe. And might get to Thundercats.

8 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Partly metal. Partly real.

You know what I mean.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Frubberslug.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuser%2F6%2F898afa602ba4ad7be2d27e29ce5954a%2Fznxbyxuqep_o.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Hot Toys would make them $200+ but the metal shine would be right. Do it right or don't do it at all. Unless they just want to make a low run figure that flippers or "collectors" can resell in the future.

Personally, I would pay $200+ for a complete Silverhawks team from Hot Toys then I would pay $55 for what I'm seeing right now. I'm actually getting excited thinking about it. But I know it won't happen. Hot Toys didn't even make a 66 Batgirl to go with Batman and Robin. They seem to only make the really popular animated characters these days.

I do not disagree with you at all. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to quote the opening.

I'm less disappointed by these figures because, frankly, I never expected to see new Silverhawks figures in the first place. I'm pleasantly surprised there's enough demand to justify making figures at all, even if the lack of any sort of metallic effect is a downer.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:16 AM, CoryHolmes said:

Your nostalgia-vision is correct, at least as far as Visionaries goes.  The dropoff in animation quality from the opening to the first three episodes to the ones that followed was quite dramatic.

Thanks for the sanity check! :lol:

Even as a kid that was always my biggest beef with cartoons, the inconsistent quality of animation and the toys that didn't do the things they did in the cartoons (will blame some of that on the really crazy expectations I had).

48 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I do not disagree with you at all. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to quote the opening.

I'm less disappointed by these figures because, frankly, I never expected to see new Silverhawks figures in the first place. I'm pleasantly surprised there's enough demand to justify making figures at all, even if the lack of any sort of metallic effect is a downer.

This, really surprised to see these being made at all. While I wasn't clamoring for Silverhawks toys, hopefully this means that someone will get around to stuff I'd really be excited about, like Galaxy Rangers.

And with a year wait, I have a looooonnnnngggg time to decide if I want to invest in a few figures or not.

-b.

why they are so opaque in color?, even the retros have better metallic coloring, still I think will support this and buy some, seriously Super7 lost a huge opportunity here , it went from a Insta-purchase to a probably-purchase buy just because of the color.

For sure they won't do vac metal because it will flake or won't last.  The renders are colored close to the cartoon colors.  Down the line before release they could probably use more metallic paints.

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

9 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

This, really surprised to see these being made at all. While I wasn't clamoring for Silverhawks toys, hopefully this means that someone will get around to stuff I'd really be excited about, like Galaxy Rangers.

I think the nostalgia for old cartoons and items took off during the virus pandemic. People looking for old stuff to buy on ebay. Plus Thundercats didn't lose its popularity. He-Man is coming back. New Voltron series is popular. Why not Silverhawks?

My immediate reaction to Galaxy Rangers is that we wouldn't get figures. Especially since they attempted some items and a possible comic revival back when the two volume DVD box set came out and interest wasn't there I guess. I was looking forward to the comic. But now I don't know or can't come to a solid conclusion yet. These limited product companies aren't the average company. They are like the Kickstarter company just getting the money, maybe doing the design, and having a company overseas make the product. Delivery is always many months or a year later. Even Hasbro does the Kickstarter stuff which they really shouldn't be doing.

So who's to say someone wouldn't attempt Galaxy Rangers today? If they do the Kickstarter plan the risk is on the consumer. There was that Saber Rider videogame Kickstarter that never materialized. People weren't refunded for that. This Super 7 company or Mondo could make the Galaxy Rangers. Do a limited time pre-order. See if they get the numbers. I'll watch how these Silverhawks are handled after the pre-order period as I've never ordered anything from this company before. I think I saw Toyark post that they made a Thundertank. But the figures didn't look that good so I didn't care.

Edit - Apparently there are two lines of Thundercats from Super 7. The Ultimates line goes with the Thundertank. And it's like the Silverhawks being a pre-order line at around $50 per figure. I hate this sort of thing. I love the days of being able to see a toy in a toy store. Normal priced figures. Super 7 has small figures priced at $18. That's adult keep the figure in the case pricing. And those figures don't look that good. The Ultimates Thundercats are ok. But they already had to do some kind of replacement part deal.

Edited by JetJockey

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Edit - Apparently there are two lines of Thundercats from Super 7. The Ultimates line goes with the Thundertank. And it's like the Silverhawks being a pre-order line at around $50 per figure. I hate this sort of thing. I love the days of being able to see a toy in a toy store. Normal priced figures. Super 7 has small figures priced at $18. That's adult keep the figure in the case pricing. And those figures don't look that good. The Ultimates Thundercats are ok. But they already had to do some kind of replacement part deal.

I miss those days too. There's no more dedicated big toy stores.  Major Toy companies only have big box stores and they have to play by their rules.   Action figures are low priority for big box stores.  If you want to buy one of these figures consider yourself lucky if you're only paying $50 for them off eBay.  If a toy line is accepted by a big box stores it means only the scalpers will be able to buy them at normal prices.  Most of these stores only get one single case and that's it.   Only when these same figures are also offered at online collector stores do we have a chance of getting them at normal prices.  No big box store is going to carry Thunder Cats, Silver hawks or even Robotech figures.  That means they aren't worth the effort for the major Toy companies.   Smaller Toy companies are willingly to make them but at a higher costs and longer waits. 

19 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

I miss those days too. There's no more dedicated big toy stores.  Major Toy companies only have big box stores and they have to play by their rules.   Action figures are low priority for big box stores.  If you want to buy one of these figures consider yourself lucky if you're only paying $50 for them off eBay.  If a toy line is accepted by a big box stores it means only the scalpers will be able to buy them at normal prices.  Most of these stores only get one single case and that's it.   Only when these same figures are also offered at online collector stores do we have a chance of getting them at normal prices.  No big box store is going to carry Thunder Cats, Silver hawks or even Robotech figures.  That means they aren't worth the effort for the major Toy companies.   Smaller Toy companies are willingly to make them but at a higher costs and longer waits. 

Yeah... with the loss of TRU in the states, that left many like Hasbro and such without a major venue for their collector's stuff in a brick and mortar setting. Kay-Bee Toys had been working on a comeback a couple of years ago, but they failed to launch when they couldn't get the financial backing together (it would have been a disaster anyways, given COVID and all). There used to be other places such as FAO Schwartz, Child Kingdom/ Child World and Toy Works (later merged with Kay Bee); now, it's pretty desolate. Then also consider retail stores like Caldors, Bradlees (mostly northeast US, admittedly) tanked, and K-Mart and Sears in the states are one foot in the grave (and the other sliding in) thanks to Eddie Lampert's BS "business practices", toy manufacturers have lost a lot of retail presence out there.