Wave 1/72 vf-171

seti88

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

The Wave kit seems a little stubby compared to the DX and the animation?

You are right. The prototype does indeed look quite stubby even from other pictures of it, but from @Urashiman drybuild it looks right, albeit seems not as long as the DX (?). 

Eventually someone will compare it to the DX. 

3 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Might be an issue with camera angles and lenses and stuff.

I think the kit nose looks longer in this image:

IMG_3377.jpeg.92183e530058754f5074cf0ac53ea632.jpeg

I think it’s a weird color illusion. Unpainted it definitely looks longer, but with the colors and lighting it somehow looks different 

On 10/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, Raikkonen said:

You are right. The prototype does indeed look quite stubby even from other pictures of it, but from @Urashiman drybuild it looks right, albeit seems not as long as the DX (?). 

Eventually someone will compare it to the DX. 

I think it is only the perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Gotcha. That's a bit of a wait. But that's ok, plenty to do in the meantime. And there's some nice Hasegawa  stuff coming next month. 

With their Votoms kits they usually release one basic kit, then six months later the same kit with add ons and then six more months then there’s a new kit. They don’t always follow that pattern, but they are a smaller company and don’t have a high output of kits per year 

• 3 months later...

I just discovered something kind of hilarious about these kits.  In the process of putting together my 171 EX, I noticed that there was one spare piece that the instructions never used, and I couldn't tell if they ever mentioned it at all.  It was just a U-shaped bar, that looked like a support for something.  Not having a place to put it, I decided it would make a good set of armrests for the EX-gear seat, since it didn't have any, for some reason.  Filed a slot in the center of the part and in the back of the seat to slot together, and bingo.  Armrests.

Imagine my surprise when I go to put together my teal 171 kit, and discover that's exactly what the part was for.  Somewhere in production, they forgot to cut a slot in the back of the EX seat to let the armrests attach.  The normal 171 used a different seat back design, which had the slot for them all along.

Makes me wonder what was going on when they released these kits, since the EX version came out first, without weapons, but using a part meant for the CF. :lol: 

I've really been enjoying these, and the VFG kits the past couple weeks.  I could definitely finish them up nicely, paint them, decal them, and all.. but I just have fun snapping them together quickly.  They come apart again easily enough to go back and finish, it's just satisfying to cut the parts loose and build something in an evening.

I probably spent more time cutting and trimming the parts than I did actually building. :lol: 

ss(2024-02-17at12_28.29).jpg.ac5a203dd7d639287ae194fe2f8c8e42.jpg

Sadly though, the way the weapons mounts work on the CF is really just cheap looking.  The pylons are simple tabs sticking out of the wing, and the weapons just slide onto them until they hit the wing.  Even the DX versions were better than that.  I wound up just using the plain wings.

I'd really recommend just going through spare parts bins for some actual weapons pylons to use, or just cut something better out of sheet plastic. 

Edited by Chronocidal