Netflix PACIFIC RIM: The Black in 2021

no3Ljm

Netflix Series PACIFIC RIM: The Black

As monsters emerge from the sea to attack Earth, humanity fights back using giant robot warriors in this anime adaptation of the blockbuster film.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81002003

netflix_pacificrim_theblack_nt01.thumb.jpg.e3fbb2268af6d8684c4c57711679c94b.jpg

netflix_pacificrim_theblack_nt02.thumb.jpg.aa50cbb315b47613d12263667c735f1f.jpg

From Syfy:

As far back as 2014, Pacific Rim director and co-writer Guillermo del Toro teased that the robots-vs.-monsters franchise would live on in the form of an animated series. But the series was slow to materialize, and we got the live-action sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising instead. Then, in 2018, Netflix announced an anime series based on the franchise, fulfilling del Toro's promise. Now Pacific Rim: The Black is almost here — and we just got a first look.  

Netflix and Legendary revealed the first look at the upcoming anime series late Monday in the form of two images, one taking us inside a Jaeger cockpit and the other revealing a brand-new kaiju design. We still know very little about the plot of The Black, but we do know that it will involve the evacuation of Australia at a time when humanity thought they'd already beaten the kaiju, and it will follow two siblings piloting an old Jaeger across "a continent of danger." Check out both images in all their glory below.

Del Toro teased all the way back in the summer of 2014 that he was talking to several Japanese companies at the time about working on a Pacific Rim anime series that would focus on "younger" characters and explore the various consequences of drifting a little more, but the project seemed to go a bit dormant as work began on Pacific Rim: Uprising. Then, a few months after that film hit theaters in 2018, Netflix announced Pacific Rim woud be joining a crop of new animated series.  

Pacific Rim: The Black will take place in the same continuity as both live-action films, and will be showrun by Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (Wolverine and the X-Men, Miles From Tomorrowland).  

Pacific Rim: The Black does not yet have a release date, but is set to hit Netflix sometime next year.

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm one of the few people who was genuinely entertained by Uprising, so I'm glad this new anime doesn't just chuck it all away.

I will never understand the hatred people had for Uprising(apart from killing off Mako Mori). It felt far more mecha anime like than the original and was to me far more enjoyable.

I still think the mental drifting crap is dumb though and only exists as plot convenience to create dumb drama.

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The whole idea of needing two pilots is just plain stupid.  Otherwise the first one was fun and the second was watchable.  I didn't hate the second one but other than the little bot I can't really remember anything about it.

Scrapper was hilarious!  He's a giant, 3-storey tall mech.... and he barely comes up to November Ajax's shin!  Ajax's finger is about the length of Scrappers torso!

• 3 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, Dynaman said:

The whole idea of needing two pilots is just plain stupid.  Otherwise the first one was fun and the second was watchable.  I didn't hate the second one but other than the little bot I can't really remember anything about it.

Yeah, the two pilot thing is dumb. It makes zero sense. Having to "drift" with what is basically a mech suit is silly too. I think whomever wrote it tried a little too hard to put some Evangelion in it. Jagers are not anything like EVA's though.

I liked the first movie a lot. I didn't dislike the second.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, the two pilot thing is dumb. It makes zero sense. Having to "drift" with what is basically a mech suit is silly too. I think whomever wrote it tried a little too hard to put some Evangelion in it. Jagers are not anything like EVA's though.

Hehe, ROBOT CHICKEN did a funny and NSFW skit about the drifting.

It's dumb, but I'm glad that the series maintained its internal consistency all the way through.  

• 3 weeks later...

surprised there hasn't been anyone voicing their opinions on the show thus far. I just finished watching all 7 episodes and I feel, the show has some potential but it really seems to just drag on....7 episodes that could of very easily been done in 3, maybe 4 and given us some more with the remaining 3-4 episodes. 

Im not saying this was bad, but it certainly didn't feel good and didn't capture what made Pacific Rim a cult hit when first released  8 years ago. I do hope the series continues and maybe give us a little more than 7 episodes and a bit more action. 

3 hours ago, Hikuro said:

surprised there hasn't been anyone voicing their opinions on the show thus far. I just finished watching all 7 episodes and I feel, the show has some potential but it really seems to just drag on....7 episodes that could of very easily been done in 3, maybe 4 and given us some more with the remaining 3-4 episodes. 

Im not saying this was bad, but it certainly didn't feel good and didn't capture what made Pacific Rim a cult hit when first released  8 years ago. I do hope the series continues and maybe give us a little more than 7 episodes and a bit more action. 

Binged watched in this past weekend.  My take was the pace was a little too quick; too many deaths are simply brushed aside, episode 1.  Had the potential for Godzilla meets Mad-Max, then just dropped the ball; for now.  the Drifting part is actually cool, want to see what happens when you attempt to Drift too often, it's here.  The manipulation of Drifting was a nice new corridor to explore.  For a show that is trying to be serious and adult, it has far too many open plot threads at the moment and ended a season by not answering any of them!  I'm intrigued enough to keep watching but already becoming skeptical.  Not impressed by the "mysterious mute" third wheel.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I couldn't get past the first five minutes or so.  Too many bad vibes in that short amount of time.  Does it get demonstrably better after that?

Yes, then turns right back around in another 5 mins and undoes everything it just spent time building.  The meat and potatoes don't really start happening until about half-way through; most of which is dystopian.

I finished the whole series up Tuesday night, I liked it. Animation was solid, I liked the new jaeger and kaiju designs, action was admittedly a bit more weightless then I'd like, but I enjoyed it overall. I'm definitely a bit iffy about...

Spoiler

the whole humans becoming kaiju thing, it's a bit Attack on Titany, and is getting a bit too far removed from the nice and simple piloted mechs vs giant monsters story. I get it, we're never getting another movie and they definitely had to go somewhere new with this story, but I'm a bit worried where they may go with this.

I'm definitely in for another season. I'm even more excited for Godzilla Singular Point, also Terminator, Netflix is killing it with the animated stuff. I need more Castlevania ASAP as well.

1 hour ago, Wolf-1 said:

Yes, then turns right back around in another 5 mins and undoes everything it just spent time building.  The meat and potatoes don't really start happening until about half-way through; most of which is dystopian.

Sounds like I need to give the whole first episode a look.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I couldn't get past the first five minutes or so.  Too many bad vibes in that short amount of time.  Does it get demonstrably better after that?

OMG yes. Amazing scenes that really went places the movies couldn't go, namely with the violence and more mature tone.

Some compared it to Mad Max when it more reminds me more of The Walking Dead, back when it was a good series of course :)

Binge watched it as soon as it was released. Personally,  I loved it, could nit pick a few points. But why bother, I can't wait for more. Polygon and Netflix have produced some enjoyable anime. And yes, more Castlevania would be awesome.