Testing Paint Tips?

sqidd

I have quite a few paints to test and was trying to come up with what I was going to spray. PVC tubing (plumbing) popped into my head. To you guys think that's a good stand in for a 1/55 Chunky Monkey (which I will be painting a few of)?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I have quite a few paints to test and was trying to come up with what I was going to spray. PVC tubing (plumbing) popped into my head. To you guys think that's a good stand in for a 1/55 Chunky Monkey (which I will be painting a few of)?

Thanks!

I would get the casing from an old printer or stereo (if available); PVC and ABS are not exactly the same thing (ABS is used for stuff like 1/55 Chunky's).

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I would get the casing from an old printer or stereo 

Good thing I just threw all that stuff away a few weeks ago!:rofl:

I'll look for some ABS somethingorother. Thanks!

EDIT: I just order d a bunch of little "squares" of white ABS on eBay for $20 shipped. They will probably last forever.:D

Edited by sqidd

Yep - anything ABS will be a better stand-in for "toy plastic" than PVC.  ABS seems to be notoriously difficult to get paint to stick to.  If you can test it on ABS, there's a great chance it'll work as good or better on your Chunky.

14 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Yep - anything ABS will be a better stand-in for "toy plastic" than PVC.  ABS seems to be notoriously difficult to get paint to stick to.  If you can test it on ABS, there's a great chance it'll work as good or better on your Chunky.

I'm glad you brought that up. Is there a go to method of surface prep to get paint to stick? Zillion grit sandpaper? 3M pad? Some sort of chemical treatment? I only want to paint these Chunkies once.;)

Thanks!

On 10/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, sqidd said:

I'm glad you brought that up. Is there a go to method of surface prep to get paint to stick? Zillion grit sandpaper? 3M pad? Some sort of chemical treatment? I only want to paint these Chunkies once.;)

Thanks!

I would  scuff-sand it with 0000 grade steel wool, then wash the plastic with a mild detergent solution and rinse it really well; like you're doing a model kit. Plastics being molded are notorious for oils (mold release from initial molding as well as skin oils from years of handling/play as well as natural leeching due to age I suspect). I would also use either a flat black, flat/primer grey or primer white as a primer coat before any color coats (depending on the colors you want to use). This is especially important if you're using acrylics, but take note of "paint rub" where transforming parts would meet (such as the swing bars and nose, the chest and the back plate sliding together, as a few examples); you may need to take the thickness of the paint into consideration and either omit paint from where those parts would meet, or sand them gently so that the paint would not rub.

Some of this may be overkill; folks here who have done this more may know more / better than I do. But these are just off the top of my head, given what I already know. Good luck on the paint!

I am also into restoring and refinishing unsatisfactory mass-produced factory paint jobs myself, and just want to share my utterly unpleasant finding that what appears to be unpainted surface on Bandai DX VF-1, the main body in particular, is in fact finished with clear sealing coat.. :shok: The red marker on the wing tip on my copy was scuffed from factory,(thanks Bandai) so I decided to remove and repaint all together. In the process some red paint smudged onto the surrounding area. No big deal, simply clean with some Mr. Hobby thinner right? because it isn’t painted..wait, what the @#$&.

The thinner reacted with the finish and left some kind of smudge which does not go away. It only expands and gets worse if you use more thinner. Tried enamel thinner too but no luck. I suspect it isn’t bare plastic and they must be finishing with sealer coat at the factory.

81A6B207-A909-44C2-A137-09970BF70977.thumb.jpeg.0058cea8c923fdedc3d53ec72d1e168a.jpeg

Sorry I just needed to vent and share so that it don’t happen to others. I suppose a hit of clear coat will fix it? I hope so.

*Update - The affected panels were refinished with semi-gloss clear coat and it is now restored to factory finish. Thought it was matte first but semi-gloss coat is actually much closer to original finish.*

Edited by Angesdad