Free Guy

Old_Nash

So it's Live Action Wreck-it Ralph? It seems OK... but one little problem: Who is gonna show it? This Zombie pandemic isn't exactly over yet...

11 hours ago, sqidd said:

Groundhog Day, meets the Matrix, meets The Truman Show, meets every movie RR has been in where he plays himself (which got old a long time ago). Hard pass.

Reynolds has sort of become Canada's funnier/younger Nicholas Cage. [though he does seem more discriminating in his project selection]

I'm down for a watch, but as many have said, my local theaters are all closed, so it'll show up on Netflix or someplace eventually.

Edited by slide

Not only are the local theaters closed, but Regal just announced yesterday that they're going on indefinite shutdown across the country. That's a lot of jobs, not to mention a hard hit for Hollywood.

I live in a small town outside of Spokane, and we finally got our own theater out here several years ago. Like most, it's been closed for most of 2020, with no signs of reopening anytime soon, and I'm worried we're going to lose it. It really is incredible the affect a highly-communicable disease can have on every facet of life. 

So, like all the other big box office films that never got shown on the big screen this year, this'll likely make its way to the small screen, or they'll hold the release until after the pandemic. Hopefully there'll still be theaters by the time they get a reliable vaccine and get some semblance of control over Covid.

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Not only are the local theaters closed, but Regal just announced yesterday that they're going on indefinite shutdown across the country. That's a lot of jobs, not to mention a hard hit for Hollywood.

I'm hoping this can be a learning lesson for Hollywood that they'll have to resort to releasing only high quality movies for a significant amount of time if they expect the audience to ever return to the cinema.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm hoping this can be a learning lesson for Hollywood that they'll have to resort to releasing only high quality movies for a significant amount of time if they expect the audience to ever return to the cinema.

I hadn't thought about it in those terms. It'd be nice, but I don't think any studio goes into a project thinking they've got a low quality bomb on their hands.  And schlock, even high budget schlock like the modern Universal monster films, is fun to watch on the big screen.  What'll be a sure fire hit and what won't isn't an exact science, and I don't think it ever will. Humans are fickle.

As for Free Guy, looks good. Good for a few laughs if nothing else, and I'm usually not the biggest fan of overt comedy films. The sci-fi elements make it interesting for me. And, I like Ryan Reynolds.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

This is kind of backward, the argument is generally that studios invest so heavily in tent poles now (before COVID)  that it has slaughtered creativity. Given the backlog though, seems that there should be plenty of good movies in the queue.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just came back from seeing this.  It had several bits that made me laugh, but it's more of a family-friendly feel-good kind of movie than some of my more favorite comedies.  It had a few issues, mostly with the characters in the real-world, but the game-world stuff did a great job simultaneously poking fun at games and gamers while expressing love for games and gamers.  There were tons of cameos and references, and most of the acting was good.  I'd go so far as to say that Ryan Reynolds, Channing Tatum (who, frankly, I think is underappreciated as a comedic actor), and Lil Rey Howery were great.  Overall I'd say it was charming, worth a watch, but it's not something that's going to stick with you or call for multiple viewings.

• 6 months later...