What Is The Quintessential Akira Bike/Rider Toy?

sqidd

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, MKT said:

Well, I came across this today. A 3rd party 1/15 Kaneda's bike with nice light up features like the official 1/6 version:
208A443B-5A1D-4C53-AF16-EB7378D78D73.jpeg.0a5924a3f2ef8587e6317b0b43c72a81.jpeg3881C88C-62A1-44B4-BC6A-7AF25676DFC0.jpeg.f9645d0d9a218f4ab0edfdb666998d66.jpeg

That's so cool. :good: Though I wish they should've pushed it more towards the 1/12 scale. And with an articulated figure instead.

Not sure if they copied the Popy PX-03 release.

42 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That's so cool. :good: Though I wish they should've pushed it more towards the 1/12 scale. And with an articulated figure instead.

Not sure if they copied the Popy PX-03 release.

It looks like both bike & rider are based on the Popy PX-03.

Kaneda himself is almost the same pose, except with interchangeable arms and much sharper face sculpt.

As for the bike itself, its stand at the bottom and the front forks being able to be lifted higher are features that are similar to the PX-03 and if I’m not wrong, not present on the 1/6 version. 

24 minutes ago, MKT said:

It looks like both bike & rider are based on the Popy PX-03.

Kaneda himself is almost the same pose, except with interchangeable arms and much sharper face sculpt.

As for the bike itself, its stand at the bottom and the front forks being able to be lifted higher are features that are similar to the PX-03 and if I’m not wrong, not present on the 1/6 version. 

The front fork feature is present in the 1/6 PBM version. Though the 1/6th kickstand is not the same as the 1/15th above. So the 1/6 bike is tilted when the kickstand is on.

image.jpeg.205a6dc906331e5777ec411d336e00b7.jpeg

image.jpeg.93c7144e4e3cad49d05e4d7a7c50b96a.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Wow!  Is this Ace Toys bike out?  Does anyone have it?  Is it any good (better than Bandai)?  I've been eyeing the Bandai PX-03 but at over $200-$250 its a bit rich for me.  But my recent 1/15 Garland has lit a fire under my butt for these 80s motorcycles from my youth.  I'm concerned it doesn't have all the markings - says waterslide decals is limited edition but can't find that for sale anywhere and its around $200 too - so which is better, Bandai or Ace Toys?

Edited by wm cheng

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Wow!  Is this Ace Toys bike out?  Does anyone have it?  Is it any good (better than Bandai)?  I've been eyeing the Bandai PX-03 but at over $200-$250 its a bit rich for me.  But my recent 1/15 Garland has lit a fire under my butt for these 80s motorcycles from my youth.  I'm concerned it doesn't have all the markings - says waterslide decals is limited edition but can't find that for sale anywhere and its around $200 too - so which is better, Bandai or Ace Toys?

Ace Toyz' was out since middle last year, and it felt like they were only available mostly in Asia. Sold out at most places but here's one from Hong Kong that shows in-stock:

https://robotoybase.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=7024

Comparison between Bandai's and Ace Toyz:

Thanks @MKT!!!  So they're about $50-60 difference between the "used" licensed Bandai (more expensive) and the "new" Ace Toyz - so what's your suggestion?  Better detailing in the mechanicals on the Bandai (plus its actually licensed) vs. the lighting feature and slightly cheaper on the Ace Toyz but boy are they similar.

I have both and will say when I picked up the original Bandai release years ago I loved it. I remember thinking it was heavy, the front panels come off to reveal the inner workings of the die cast front suspension, etc. Then ACE released theirs and the first thing I noticed when holding it was the weight difference (Ace 14.1oz vs Bandai 11.3oz). The front suspension on ACE is chrome plated plastic instead of die cast. Part of that could be because it was easier to run all the wiring for the LEDs plus it's cheaper but the weight is more than made up for since the side panels on the ACE version (minus the canopy) are solid metal while Bandai's panels are plastic but can also separate into two pieces each to provide additional display options (to reveal more of the front suspension). The detailing in my opinion seems identical and is hard to spot, a screw hole here an extra dimple there, so there are some very minimal and subtle differences. The most noticeable difference parts-wise is there are actual foot pedals on Bandai's version while Ace's pedals are cast into the metal body itself. Another possible noticeable difference would be comparing paint quality. Bandai's paint is just flawless but on the ACE, depending on the one you get you may be able to detect a couple spots that you can argue is not flawless and will most likely vary from one model to the next. Again, overall it is generally hard to tell the difference between the two I think. At the end of the day, the lighting feature got me and wins hands down in my opinion ... you push the button at the base of the center console, turn out the lights, and it is like having a whole 'nother bike to look at and enjoy.   

Edited by Bobby
comment on paint

Thanks @Bobby - that's exactly the kind of opinion I was hoping to hear.  So you're recommending the Ace Toyz over the Bandai?  The lighting gimmick is cool at first, but I usually end up taking the batteries out after a few months when it sits in my display case as I've had a few batteries corrode on me after forgetting about them.  But it is a nifty feature!  The figure on the Any Toyz seems a bit better too.  But the mechanical details seem better on the Bandai especially with more covers to remove and strip down.

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

I have both and will say when I picked up the original Bandai release years ago I loved it. I remember thinking it was heavy, the front panels come off to reveal the inner workings of the die cast front suspension, etc. Then ACE released theirs and the first thing I noticed when holding it was the weight difference (Ace 14.1oz vs Bandai 11.3oz). The front suspension on ACE is chrome plated plastic instead of die cast. Part of that could be because it was easier to run all the wiring for the LEDs plus it's cheaper but the weight is more than made up for since the side panels on the ACE version (minus the canopy) are solid metal while Bandai's panels are plastic but can also separate into two pieces each to provide additional display options (to reveal more of the front suspension). The detailing in my opinion seems identical and is hard to spot, a screw hole here an extra dimple there, so there are some very minimal and subtle differences. The most noticeable difference parts-wise is there are actual foot pedals on Bandai's version while Ace's pedals are cast into the metal body itself. Another possible noticeable difference would be comparing paint quality. Bandai's paint is just flawless but on the ACE, depending on the one you get you may be able to detect a couple spots that you can argue is not flawless and will most likely vary from one model to the next. Again, overall it is generally hard to tell the difference between the two I think. At the end of the day, the lighting feature got me and wins hands down in my opinion ... you push the button at the base of the center console, turn out the lights, and it is like having a whole 'nother bike to look at and enjoy.   

Thanks for the comparison. :good: Ace Toyz weight being much more substantial is quite surprising, seeing how Bandai's already pretty heavy.

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks @MKT!!!  So they're about $50-60 difference between the "used" licensed Bandai (more expensive) and the "new" Ace Toyz - so what's your suggestion?  Better detailing in the mechanicals on the Bandai (plus its actually licensed) vs. the lighting feature and slightly cheaper on the Ace Toyz but boy are they similar.

I don't have Ace Toyz version, just Bandai's. I keep thinking Ace Toyz version is smaller even in the second comparison video, but on rewatch, the size is actually the same. I too am leaning to the light up features, which I'm usually impartial to as electronics in toys are usually more trouble than they are worth. The good thing is the on-off switch can be accessed easily. And now learning about the weight also tips me over to it as well - nothing like a good old school gokin-type feel sometimes.

I didn't plan on getting this, but now I just might! :p

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks @Bobby - that's exactly the kind of opinion I was hoping to hear.  So you're recommending the Ace Toyz over the Bandai?  The lighting gimmick is cool at first, but I usually end up taking the batteries out after a few months when it sits in my display case as I've had a few batteries corrode on me after forgetting about them.  But it is a nifty feature!  The figure on the Any Toyz seems a bit better too.  But the mechanical details seem better on the Bandai especially with more covers to remove and strip down.

Well ... not necessarily after what you described ... it's having me think differently and comparing them side by side without the light gimmick I think tells a different story. I put a lot of emphasis on the light feature from a personal standpoint because of wanting a Popy version. If that gimmick isn't as important in the long run then Bandai's is better as a standalone display piece. Besides the visible foot pedals the most obvious difference is that Bandai's wheel rims are chromed (making it appear heavier) where Ace's are clear plastic (for the LED feature) so when the lights are not on (which will be most of the time if not all of the time), clear plastic rims look cheap compared to chromed ones. Plus the Bandai has an additional chromed disc detail on the rear wheel where Ace's does not. So it boils down to whatever you value the most and how you think you'll derive the most enjoyment out of the piece and for me it was the lights ... but I can see that for someone else who might place a lot of importance on display factor, quality finish and the appearance of a high-quality/heavy piece it would be different.

Edited by Bobby

Thanks, I did pull the trigger on the Ace Toyz version! The first thing I thought when I saw the smaller 1/12 Bandai PX-03 was I wished it was lit like the bigger 1/6 version - so when you guys pointed me to the Ace Toyz - I was like wow, it's exactly what I wanted!  It's just too bad the mechanical detailing wasn't as nice under all the cowling but I don't think I'd ever display it with the cowling off which offsets the display with the lights - so they cancelled each other out (in my post rationalization mind :P)  So what tipped me was that I find the figure nicer (better shaded, creases with wash, liked the magnetic swivels AND $60 cheaper.  I think I would turn on the lights more (and it is a bigger Wow factor) than I would remove the cowlings when playing with it.  It's really the perfect size to display with my new Garland (even though the scales are wrong but the relative lengths are close). 

Now I just have to wait for someone to re-issue the Bubblegum Crisis Priss Motoslave in the Metallic Colour.  Thanks so much for your insights and help finding one.

Finally got it in hand and its great!  Very accurate for a non-licensed and better figure sculpt.  (too bad it wasn't in scale with the Garland) but the size is small which I like but with the lighting gimmick.  I just did a very quick little black wash to pick out the few recessed details.  Thanks for your comments and the link! IMG_3724.JPG.bc8092e4479284ff382bd60ec457a271.JPGIMG_3723.JPG.df8d0d8f0b121ac303dbd41b31f85082.JPG

Edited by wm cheng