Who Can Guess What This Is/What It Does?

sqidd

It looks like a "wrist" swivel joint that goes in the forearm of a valk. The side pegs gives full swivel, the socket on top is for the hand/fist ball joint, and the radius cut notch on the end is for re-locking the lifting forearm panel in place once the swivel is complete?

56 minutes ago, Bobby said:

It looks like a "wrist" swivel joint that goes in the forearm of a valk. The side pegs gives full swivel, the socket on top is for the hand/fist ball joint, and the radius cut notch on the end is for re-locking the lifting forearm panel in place once the swivel is complete?

Yes, but what is it's function (this one specifically). I added another hint above. It's for a 1/48 Yamato.:good:

1 minute ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

An adapter/replacement part so you can use the DX hands with the old Yammie 1/48?

You win!!!!:yahoo:

I figured since you can't buy good 1/48 hands with buckets of gold and the DX's come with elevindy billion hands it would be a good , easy, inexpensive solution. I should have some prototypes in a few days. I just need to get over to my buddies shop. I'll never remember to send you some. When you see production units get posted up PM me and I'll send you some.:good:

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

You win!!!!:yahoo:

I figured since you can't buy good 1/48 hands with buckets of gold and the DX's come with elevindy billion hands it would be a good , easy, inexpensive solution. I should have some prototypes in a few days. I just need to get over to my buddies shop. I'll never remember to send you some. When you see production units get posted up PM me and I'll send you some.:good:

Seeing as how my old 1/48 Roy is in desperate need of some decent hands, this is a great idea! I'll shoot ya a PM when the time comes.

29 minutes ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

Seeing as how my old 1/48 Roy is in desperate need of some decent hands, this is a great idea! I'll shoot ya a PM when the time comes.

That's exactly the Valk that's getting the prototypes.:D

12 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Not fair additional hint added after I guessed ;) 

So I get a set too right...I mean I did afterall guess what it was (partly) :D just kidding I know it wasn't the answer you were looking for ... Congrats kaiotheforsaken!

I didn't even notice that was two different people. How about you're both winners!:yahoo:

Ping me when I post up production stuff.:good:

Fantastic development @sqidd

I'll be interested when you get these rolling because I have no plans of getting rid of my 1/48 Yamatos (in fact, I will probably end up buying more). Only thing is the colors won't work for many of them. 

Would you be interested in developing something similar for the Arcadia VF-0s? I think that is one Valk that could use this more than any other as the hands are the only thing I can think of as a negative mark on those figures. An improvement there would definitely make those toys complete perfection.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Fantastic development @sqidd

I'll be interested when you get these rolling because I have no plans of getting rid of my 1/48 Yamatos (in fact, I will probably end up buying more). Only thing is the colors won't work for many of them. 

Would you be interested in developing something similar for the Arcadia VF-0s? I think that is one Valk that could use this more than any other as the hands are the only thing I can think of as a negative mark on those figures. An improvement there would definitely make those toys complete perfection.

What hands would you want to use?

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Same DX VF-1 hands I think would work perfectly since they are about the same size. I guess a quick test to see how the VF-0 gunpod fits in the DX hands would be a smart move first.

I'll check that out.:good:

These were easy. I couldn't sleep last night and knocked that out half awake. I did screw up and didn't break all the edges though. Both of my subcontracted CNC shops prefer I don't because of how they like to code the machines. They break the edges "on their end". I didn't even think of it until my buddy texted me pics a few hours ago. Whoops!:unknw: That's what prototypes are for.:D

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'll check that out.:good:

These were easy. I couldn't sleep last night and knocked that out half awake. I did screw up and didn't break all the edges though. Both of my subcontracted CNC shops prefer I don't because of how they like to code the machines. They break the edges "on their end". I didn't even think of it until my buddy texted me pics a few hours ago. Whoops!:unknw: That's what prototypes are for.:D

Yeah, designing for CNC and designing for Print, or for Injection Molding are all totally different.

It always seems to confuse some of the people at my company how I can 3D print something for them the next day, or it can take a week just to get it drawn up and ordered from a machine shop. Plus 3 weeks delivery time.

4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yeah, designing for CNC and designing for Print, or for Injection Molding are all totally different.

It always seems to confuse some of the people at my company how I can 3D print something for them the next day, or it can take a week just to get it drawn up and ordered from a machine shop. Plus 3 weeks delivery time.

3D printing has made my life a LOT easier. I used to glue sheets of MDF together and machine prototypes out of it by hand. Once that was dialed I would draw it and then get a CNC'd prototype done. Which you know costs a fortune. Invariably something(s) would be wrong, corrections would be made and then production would start. Now I go straight to drawing and then a 3D printed prototype. I can get 8-10 3D printed prototypes done (I've never needed more than 2) for the cost of one CNC'd aluminum one. And as you noted the turn around time is super quick on 3D printing. I have a place on Brooklyn that does them for me. The big pieces are  rough;y 18x15x6". They get them to me in 4-5 days. I don't know how long they take to print but it's got to be a while. From what I understand that's on the big end of 3D printing.

Have you seen the 3D printed Titanium exhaust that Koenigsegg does? Man, that guy gets to play with all of the cool toys!

No Titanium, but we do have some 3D printed sintered Tungsten parts we use for shielding, since I work with X-ray equipment.

Though for the most part I'm just using PLA and the 18" x 18" x 12" printer that we bought for making in-house parts. It sits next to my desk. Very nice when I have to turn around brackets for holding whatever the applications team found this week they want to shove into our equipment.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

7 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

No Titanium, but we do have some 3D printed sintered Tungsten parts we use for shielding, since I work with X-ray equipment.

Though for the most part I'm just using PLA and the 18" x 18" x 12" printer that we bought for making in-house parts. It sits next to my desk. Very nice when I have to turn around brackets for holding whatever the applications team found this week they want to shove into our equipment.

If I were to win the Lotto (gotta play to win though;)) I would spend silly money on "toys". I have to work with what I can beg borrow or steal. I love making/testing/developing things. Unfortunately most of my time is spend running the damn business. It's one of those good problems I suppose. I'm hoping over the next few years to get people trained up on handling a lot more of the day to day so I can get back in the shop. I get offers to develop all sorts of race car stuff that I can't do. It's frustrating. 

Three years ago I got to develop the intake manifold/ air to water intercooler for one of the OEM's NHRA program. I......was.......in.......heaven! The equipment and budget I had access too was amazing. We were wearing $75K motors out on the dyno daily.:shok: They were good for 40 pulls and then had to be rebuilt. Production based 5.2L V8's that spin to 10,500rpm and make 1400hp wear out really fast. Imagine that. When we ran into stuff during testing I could go down to the fab guys, tell them what I wanted, and they would rock it out on the spot. It was incredible. I had them building a custom heat exchanger tower and ice tank by the end of the first day of testing. We were running through 50lb of ice per pull. They had guys running all over the area buying all of the ice for the first couple of days.:rofl: Then they got a couple of huge ice machines in there. They were not ready for that. My design was extracting a lot more heat than they were used to. I got to try things I had only been able to dream about for years. Most of them actually worked! Every day I crossed my fingers and hoped they didn't find out I would have done it all for free.:p The test results were worth a fortune to me though. It wouldn't have been for "free". Now I can plug my designs into just about anything at this point. I don't want to come off sounding like I'm some sort of genius. I didn't really do anything impressive aside from have the idea of going big time. At the end of the day all I did was figure out how to throw a lot more water speed at the problem. A whole lot more. It extracted more heat. Shocker. It was tricky to get the water moving that fast without issues. But it wasn't that hard.

Now I'm spending most of my time doing admin crap.:mellow:

My place is a startup (was a startup, we're in the black this year), my employee number is in the low single digits. So very glad I stayed out of management. I still get to design and assemble things, rather than managing people (which I'm terrible at).

The current one is a large factory tool that a customer wants designed to their specifications. Which I get to do a ground-up design on the hardware aspect of, including the methodology.

Much more enjoyable being at the top of the "worker" level, rather than spending my time telling other people what to do.

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

My place is a startup (was a startup, we're in the black this year), my employee number is in the low single digits. So very glad I stayed out of management. I still get to design and assemble things, rather than managing people (which I'm terrible at).

The current one is a large factory tool that a customer wants designed to their specifications. Which I get to do a ground-up design on the hardware aspect of, including the methodology.

Much more enjoyable being at the top of the "worker" level, rather than spending my time telling other people what to do.

I've got a buddy at Ford Performance (formerly SVT) who was a big part of the GT350, was the Performance And Standards engineer on the new GT500 (this translated into him spending most of his time working on cooling/aero) and he just moved over to the very small GT Supercar team. They keep trying to push him into the executive program and he keeps resisting. Smart move. Money doesn't do you any good if you're not happy. Right now he's either solving problems, in the wind tunnel; or at a race track somewhere doing testing (he's also a driver). Trade that for management? Not on your life!

Fit up the first set of prototypes just now. I had to drill the holes out a touch so the print will have to change. They pop right in the firearm though.

The Yamato gun fits right in the fixed DX shooty hand like it was meant to be there. You can't put the Yamato gun in the articulated DX hand though. The slot in the DX hand is too big for the hole in the Yamato gun handle. Square peg/round hole and all that.

Pretty good little mod. Now to dial the hole sizes in just right and they're ready to rock.

I didn't spend much tie posing this.;)

IMG_7058.JPG.f7644f74da06ddf5c5675c0ec44eadb5.JPGIMG_7059.JPG.3bba1412a181100c46d1e2f2b286e4c9.JPGIMG_7060.JPG.f5f8f4943221687c03563e0af88f6328.JPGIMG_7061.JPG.5d2d968a9daa4a11e904ada66eae97ea.JPGIMG_7062.JPG.800b95e6583abff6ca9c44f47b754a3e.JPG

Wow, this will breathe new life into the Yammies. 

I know for some, the chicken hands was either a deal breaker or a good reason to offload their collection in favour of the new DX line.

21 minutes ago, peter said:

Wow, this will breathe new life into the Yammies. 

I know for some, the chicken hands was either a deal breaker or a good reason to offload their collection in favour of the new DX line.

RIGHT!!!

The "Get rid of Yammies to get DX's" argument gets a bit thinner when you can run DX hands. That's assuming you have some DX around.:p

I'd like to do some DX hands but don't have the time to draw them. And they would need quite a bit of finishing after printing. 3D printing is great. But it's certainly not "show quality".

Holding and messing with the DX releases I was, thankfully, never tempted to sell my 1/48 stuff. If anything it just reinforces how good those pieces are. Some proper hands really go a long way on them. It's a shame they Yamato didn't included with every/more release(s) since they existed anyway.

8 hours ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

Holding and messing with the DX releases I was, thankfully, never tempted to sell my 1/48 stuff. If anything it just reinforces how good those pieces are. Some proper hands really go a long way on them. It's a shame they Yamato didn't included with every/more release(s) since they existed anyway.

True.  To this day I still wish they had released official two-seaters.

What was so great about the original 1/48 is just how easy it is to customize with just a little splash of paint or decals.