Product Review - KiKi Loose Joint Fixer

sqidd

I just got some of this and tested it out. Figured I would write a quick review.

Short version is that it ROCKS!!!

The long version is that it works really well. I have an old Yamato VF-0S that has super loose shoulders and bicep swivels. They were so bad that you only option is to let the arms hang. I'd say the shoulder to ball clearance could have been measured in miles. I put some of this stuff in those points about 24hrs ago and let it dry. I just went to check to see how it was going. I was a little worried at first with how much pressure I was exerting on those fragile shoulders but just when I was getting really worried they "broke" loose and started moving around. But they're tight. I'd say perfectly tight. Same with the bicep swivels. The goop dried 100% clear. I can't tell it's even on there.

I understand that you can get results with Future. But the results I got in the past weren't as good as this stuff. The Future would have take a ton of applications to get the 0S's shoulders tight enough. And Future doesn't come in a little bottle with a pin point accurate application nozzle. The KiKi is super easy to use.

My conclusion, WORTH IT.:good:

I just bought a second bottle just in case I lose one.

evilBay link

56606751_LooseJoints.jpg.11f292b0a778a9b0a2942302bd6740ab.jpg

Edited by sqidd

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

I just got some of this and tested it out. Figured I would write a quick review.

The long version is that it works really well. I have an old Yamato VF-0S that has super loose shoulders and bicep swivels. They were so bad that you only option is to let the arms hang. I'd say the shoulder to ball clearance could have been measured in miles. I put some of this stuff in those points about 24hrs ago and let it dry. I just went to check to see how it was going. I was a little worried at first with how much pressure I was exerting on those fragile shoulders but just when I was getting really worried they "broke" loose and started moving around. But they're tight. I'd say perfectly tight. Same with the bicep swivels. The goop dried 100% clear. I can't tell it's even on there.

I understand that you can get results with Future. But the results I got in the past weren't as good as this stuff. The Future would have take a ton of applications to get the 0S's shoulders tight enough. And Future doesn't come in a little bottle with a pin point accurate application nozzle. The KiKi is super easy to use.

evilBay link

Nice! I'm glad these are back in stock. I ordered a bottle and can't wait to use it. 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:47 AM, sqidd said:

evilBay link

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a bottle to fix the loose joints on my Yamato SV-51 Ivanov.

5 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered a bottle to fix the loose joints on my Yamato SV-51 Ivanov.

I need to go after my SV-51's too. They're pretty. They're finicky though.

9 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Looks like I'll need some of that joint fixer. Front flap on my 1A is super loose and opens at the slightest jostle.

Sounds like Bandai copied the "features" of the Yamato 1/48's in more ways than I thought.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Arrived today (very fast shipping). Have not use it yet, but the applicator cap with syringe like applicator is neat. They have also kindly include a pin to clear the applicator when clogged. A nice touch.

2 hours ago, kkx said:

Arrived today (very fast shipping). Have not use it yet, but the applicator cap with syringe like applicator is neat. They have also kindly include a pin to clear the applicator when clogged. A nice touch.

Mine arrived today, too! Same experience with the seller. Looking forward to trying it out. 

Seems to be working for me. It has stiffened up the arms for my non-PF VF-0D and the left arm for one of my VF-25S, but the right arm still remains pretty floppy, so I'll try adding additional layers. I added some to the wings of my Yamato Nora and Ivanov SV-51 to see if I can get it to not droop anymore and so far so good. Seems to be staying up even without the pins which were kind of useless to begin with. Overall, not too bad at all. 

2 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

anyone try this on metal joints like some of the dx chogokin ball joints?  this product seems to have fans over in the TF side of things too but those are mostly plastic joints.

It has worked decently well on my VF-25S. Also on the ball joint for the legs on the VF-0D.

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

It has worked decently well on my VF-25S. Also on the ball joint for the legs on the VF-0D.

I went three applications on one Yamato VF-0S sholder to get it dialed in. It eventually filled in the six miles of slop.

I heard it's just water based polyurethane clear coat that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes common to wood working.  The polyurethane is basically why Future/Pledge acrylic floor polish works.    Just get the polyurethane without all the additives that is in Pledge.

You can get little bottles with interchangeable needle tips on Amazon. I got some to use for various glues I was using for paper craft projects.

1 hour ago, sharky said:

I heard it's just water based polyurethane clear coat that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes common to wood working.  The polyurethane is basically why Future/Pledge acrylic floor polish works.    Just get the polyurethane without all the additives that is in Pledge.

You can get little bottles with interchangeable needle tips on Amazon. I got some to use for various glues I was using for paper craft projects.

One trip to HD or Lowe's not to mention the time tracking down the bottle/applicator is not worth the time spent/money saved. 

Take what you make at your job/what you do for the time period that it takes to go to the store, track tat stuff down on Amazon, etc and compare that to how much you save doing it yourself. If you make $4/hr you may have good reason to make the stuff yourself. If you make more than $4/hr it's not worth your time. You will find that most of the really successful people in the world understand the time is money thing and constantly practice it. It's one of the main drivers of success.

Be aware that I know what your "argument" will be and I alreday have something to shut that down locked and loaded.;)

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

One trip to HD or Lowe's not to mention the time tracking down the bottle/applicator is not worth the time spent/money saved. 

Take what you make at your job/what you do for the time period that it takes to go to the store, track tat stuff down on Amazon, etc and compare that to how much you save doing it yourself. If you make $4/hr you may have good reason to make the stuff yourself. If you make more than $4/hr it's not worth your time. You will find that most of the really successful people in the world understand the time is money thing and constantly practice it. It's one of the main drivers of success.

Be aware that I know what your "argument" will be and I alreday have something to shut that down locked and loaded.;)

Totally agreed, not to mention the time effort required to test this out to make sure that it does work and does no harm. The risk of ruining our toy is also a factor.

Unless out really like to tinker and DIY for fun.

Definitely food for thought, @sharky, and great points by both @sqidd and @kkx. Before I'd use something other than a proven product on an expensive and hard-to-replace toy, I'd need to do a bunch of testing on junk toys made of the same materials to make sure the pure polyurethane wouldn't damage anything. I'm very cautious after a horrible incident involving Pine Sol and a 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Roy that I was trying to strip paint off of. Given how much the polyurethane probably costs, the time required to get it, the time and cost of getting the right kind of bottle with the right kind of applicator, the time required to do the testing, and how often I might actually use a joint fixer, $9 plus shipping for KiKi is a pretty good deal. I could see investing the time and money in making my own if I wanted to create a competing product or I had a very large number of toys with very loose joints....

46 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

This is getting complicated lol! My bottle of Future will last the rest my life and toothpicks and cotton swabs work great as applicators. Good to know there are other options if I never bought the future. 

You mean Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss? ;)

http://www.finescale.com/how-to/tips/2018/05/reader-tips-pledge-future-gloss-has-a-new-name

I'd lost track of how many times the name has changed over the years. As far as I can tell, the formula is still pretty much the same. Works well as a glossy base coat on my custom toy and model projects. Also makes canopies super-shiny.

9 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

You mean Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss? ;)

http://www.finescale.com/how-to/tips/2018/05/reader-tips-pledge-future-gloss-has-a-new-name

I'd lost track of how many times the name has changed over the years. As far as I can tell, the formula is still pretty much the same. Works well as a glossy base coat on my custom toy and model projects. Also makes canopies super-shiny.

They changed it again? I can't even remember what they called it before that. Each name change becomes less and less memorable.

I still have a bottle of it for it was still labeled as Future, but it's unlikely it will ever be emptied as I've switched to using the Vallejo Mecha line of varnishes for my gloss coating needs as it's tougher and more scratch resistant made specifically for applications that the name implies. Though I guess I would use Future for models with non-moving parts since it's cheaper to use by far.

On 9/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, sqidd said:

Be aware, that you know nothing about me and are being a presumptuous a$$. ;) What are you talking about "tracking down stuff"?  You only need to order 2 things online.  Takes less than 5 minutes to do it.  In any case.,  I'm just pointing out what I think it actually is and where one might get it regardless of any money saving aspect to it.  You think the guy is some genius chemist with some secret formula that only he makes?  And, he made a specially designed bottle that is super optimized for action figures?  Give me a break.  It's  just off the shelf items that he re-branded.  I even have some polyurethane and bottles just like that already in my workshop.  So, I'm saving tons of time and money because I don't even have to order anything.  What, do you have stock in his business or something?  Why so defensive?

Edited by sharky