Kids Logic Minitech Robotech/Macross models

GabrielV

I looked around and if there's a topic about these, I couldn't find it.  Is there anyone else interested in the gaming miniature scaled models being produced by this company?

I skipped the whole Robotech RPG Tactics thing when it was new.  I didn't trust Kevin Siembieda.  It's kind of sad that even with the shitshow it became, I honestly expected worse.

I didn't pre-order the Kids Logic minis because the only pictures I saw were renders, and we all know everything looks spectacular in renders.  But I had started hearing some positive word of mouth about them, so I decided to blow some money on the in stock models I was most curious about.  I ordered: Super VF-1S Jet mode, Super VF-1S Battloid mode, VF-1J Jet mode, VF-1J Guardian mode, VF-1J Battloid mode, Tomahawk, Defender, Glaug Officer's Battle Pod, and a 3-pack of Regult Battle Pods.

There's some fiddliness in assembly, but it's mostly relegated to antennas and stands on the valkyries.  The models are otherwise simple and logical.  I put all 11 of mine together split over two evenings.  I had some glue adhesion issues, but in retrospect I think it's just because I'm a toy person, not a model building person.  I'm impatient.  There was nothing about the models that was anything that would be unexpected in putting a Battletech metal miniature together.

The results look very nice.  I'm most impressed with the Regults, Glaug, and Tomahawk.  The detail is great!  I immediately ordered at least one more of everything the company is making in the line (except for the valkyrie with orbital booster, screw that one).

Initially I had planned to just make my own game or use the minis for Mekton games.  But curiousity finally got the better of me so I ordered Robotech RPG Tactics because it was $40.  I justified it by the fact I'd get rules and cards and 12 battle pods (I've heard the pods in that set aren't too bad, and a battle pod is a battle pod, right?).  But after seeing my Kids Logic Regults fully assembled, I immediately regretted the purchase of the Palladium set.  I should have just ordered some more 3-packs of the Kids Logic ones.

2 hours ago, Photogirl said:

I bought some, just for painting and display. I don't game.

Me too

IMG-20200820-WA0005.jpg.a814cb0b02edeb8cd423028bedc6905d.jpg

I started painting the Phalanx last night. Still need to paint the glass parts and apply decals.

The other one I've painted so far is the Spartan, but I need to apply decals to it

IMG_20200820_110754.jpg.a1349a584daa396f3b2dc6b48f8152d0.jpg

Edited by Convectuoso

42 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

I started painting the Phalanx last night. Still need to paint the glass parts and apply decals.

The other one I've painted so far is the Spartan, but I need to apply decals to it

I would be overjoyed if I could paint minis at least as well as your unfinished ones.

What's the piece breakdown on those?  Are the missile bay doors on the Phalanx separate parts?

And I know this will be a mega-stupid question, but did you have to prime them?  

They are usually just 2 or three pieces.

I don't remember if the bay doors on the Phalanx were separate parts, but I'm pretty sure they were not.

I did prime them before painting

1 hour ago, GabrielV said:

I would be overjoyed if I could paint minis at least as well as your unfinished ones.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Me too

IMG-20200820-WA0005.jpg.a814cb0b02edeb8cd423028bedc6905d.jpg

IMG_20200820_110754.jpg.a1349a584daa396f3b2dc6b48f8152d0.jpg

Did they come with Decals, or did you make custom?

::cries::

I ordered me some new paints.  I'm actually inspired to paint my new toys.  But mine will just end up looking like they're slathered with paint, not painted.  :(

I don't know how you folks do it.  I can't even get that neat a paint job on a full sized model, much less something an inch and a half tall.

1 hour ago, GabrielV said:

::cries::

I ordered me some new paints.  I'm actually inspired to paint my new toys.  But mine will just end up looking like they're slathered with paint, not painted.  :(

I don't know how you folks do it.  I can't even get that neat a paint job on a full sized model, much less something an inch and a half tall.

I used a magnifying glass. 
It has little clips, but i don't use those. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.45.41 AM.png

10 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Looks better with decals

IMG_20200821_235558.jpg.88b898e9f7f5d1d914d7476c8086ae9b.jpg

IMG_20200821_235801.jpg.60bc5092bf935ca99d1601fbb67326a8.jpg

Did the declas come with the main box set, or do they also come in the expansion kits. or are they only available separate? I want a sheet, but the price to Canada is as much as some of the whole expansion kits. 

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

I bought the decals separately. I don't have any miniatures from that game, so I couldn't tell how they were sold initially

Ebay wants $30 shipping for a $20 decal sheet.
Cheaper to just buy the whole starter box set at that price. 

My Palladium Tactics Valkyrie wing set came today and I decided to paint one up as if I had my own Valkyrie squad. 
Teal is one of my favorite colors.

Not bad little models, but the robot modes are hard to assemble. 

118484360_2652384375021087_3232673558354330206_o.jpg

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Great job painting that, @Photogirl

How does the quality feel compared to KidsLogic's?

this one seemed fine. many thin coats of tamiya acrylic.
plan is today to paint the Battloid mode. The arms were a pain to assemble.
I see close similarities between the two. almost like the same guy designed them both, but had two different casting method requirements. 

Ive had RTT for ever sitting in a box. After reading this  I've now gone and ordered all the minitech kits! MT01 through to  MT22 so far! I blame you GabrielV!

If you intend playing the game, try Dropship Commander stuff for the Cityscapes.

Edited by NZEOD

dang it all..... now I want a mini army of these things as I was a huge battletech fan but was really turned off by the whole robotech tactics debacle with their over-engineered kits. These minitechs looks way better

Edited by Duymon