Still near the top of this Rabbit hole of Macross.

Photogirl

I grew up with Robotech. when i was older, I knew it was based on 3 different series, and when Blockbuster came to our town, i watched Macross 2 and Macross Plus, but was still unaware of DYRL until many years later. 
I recently started watching the sequel series, MAcross 7, Delta, Etc Etc and i can't figure out a conclusive answer to a question always in the back of my head.
If the sequels are all canon, how can some of them be based on the TV series, and some seem based on the movie? 
Shouldn't the flashbacks show an SDF-1 with the Daedalus and Prometheus. 
Why does nobody seem concerned that the Megaroad has gone missing with what are the universe's 3 greatest folk heroes aboard? Why has no one ever addressed this in a new series.

I'm ready to go deep into this rabbit hole.

While someone else will give you a more detailed answer.

The basic canonization of the Macross material is to remember that each show/movie/game/book is a show/movie/game/book in universe, based on the actual events in the Macross universe.

So for example SDFM is a TV show in Macross, DYRL is a movie in macross. Both are based on the same events, Space War One.

31 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

If the sequels are all canon, how can some of them be based on the TV series, and some seem based on the movie? 

Because they're all an island unto themselves... sometimes explained as them all being dramatizations of a "true" Macross history.

In practical terms, it's best not to think about it too hard.  Kawamori takes whatever designs and story beats he particularly likes from any given version and uses those in the next with, or without, explanation.

41 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

I grew up with Robotech. when i was older, I knew it was based on 3 different series, and when Blockbuster came to our town, i watched Macross 2 and Macross Plus, but was still unaware of DYRL until many years later. 
I recently started watching the sequel series, MAcross 7, Delta, Etc Etc and i can't figure out a conclusive answer to a question always in the back of my head.
Shouldn't the flashbacks show an SDF-1 with the Daedalus and Prometheus. 
Why does nobody seem concerned that the Megaroad has gone missing with what are the universe's 3 greatest folk heroes aboard? Why has no one ever addressed this in a new series.

I'm ready to go deep into this rabbit hole.

Welcome to Macrossworld, nice to see another Canadian here :)  Not many of us on this forum.

I've given up on trying to make sense of the whole thing, lol!  But then, I'm easy since I generally don't stray too far way from SDFM and DYRL.  

As Focslain mentioned, DYRL is considered a movie in the M7 universe, and in that movie, they used newer Valks and ARMD carriers for the SDF1 during filming of DYRL.  (M7 doesn't exist in my life, so I just rationalize it as just the movie version of SDFM).

As far as Megaroad going missing....well, apparently Kawamori-san doesn't like to revisit stuff he's already done, so sadly, the rabbit hole ends right there for Hikaru, Misa and Minmei.

I watched MF once, and probably won't watch MD, but I heard that Minmei was hinted at in D.  Someone else will have to speak to that.

18 minutes ago, peter said:

Welcome to Macrossworld, nice to see another Canadian here :)  Not many of us on this forum.

I've given up on trying to make sense of the whole thing, lol!  But then, I'm easy since I generally don't stray too far way from SDFM and DYRL.  

As Focslain mentioned, DYRL is considered a movie in the M7 universe, and in that movie, they used newer Valks and ARMD carriers for the SDF1 during filming of DYRL.  (M7 doesn't exist in my life, so I just rationalize it as just the movie version of SDFM).

As far as Megaroad going missing....well, apparently Kawamori-san doesn't like to revisit stuff he's already done, so sadly, the rabbit hole ends right there for Hikaru, Misa and Minmei.

I watched MF once, and probably won't watch MD, but I heard that Minmei was hinted at in D.  Someone else will have to speak to that.

Yeah, Maritime Proud.
Thats too bad we will never get to see Hikaru, Misa and Minmei again. As for MD, yea, there is a flashback to the first war, but its the DYRL ship sans ARMDs taking off from antaria, and they call it the ASS-1 and talk about Minmei 

58 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

For one, they're not really "the universe's 3 greatest folk heroes"... its more like "Minmay and those two other guys".

Roy, oddly enough, seems to have far more enduring notoriety than Hikaru in-universe.

Of the original main trio, Minmay was the only one who was properly famous.  Even then, her enduring fame and her status as one of Earth's cultural icons has a lot more to do with the various in-universe dramatizations of her life filmed after she left Earth back in 2012 than it does with her actual achievements in her brief music career.  Her legend grew in the telling, you see.

For a good while, the New UN Government covered up the disappearance of the Megaroad-01 for fear that its disappearance might damage the public's confidence in the Humankind Seeding Project.  It's unclear when exactly they declassified it, but in the Macross Frontier series, wealthy Zentradi business mogul Richard Bilra collaborates with Macross Galaxy in an attempt to use the proposed galaxy-wide zero-time fold communications network to find Megaroad-01 in 2059.  Shady businessman Berger Stone presents an unverifiable rumor that Lady M is somehow connected to Megaroad-01 in Macross Delta in 2067 too.

11 minutes ago, peter said:

A fansub group jumped to the conclusion that Minmay was Lady M and put it as fact in their fansubs... 

Officially, the show's creators never gave Lady M an identity.

Is there anything that pops up in the sequels that makes it clear that any part of SDFM is canon?

In later series, when the SDF-1 is visually referenced, it's always the DYRL version.  Characters shown in previous events wear DYRL costumes.  Characters with different designs in DYRL  are used in their DYRL designs.  Minmay doesn't even sing Ai Oboete Imasu ka in the original show, but it has become her defining song and is explicitly referenced as THE song.

I haven't watched much of any of Macross 7, and that's probably the most heavily referential of the original series due to the presence of Max and Millia.  Maybe I'm just missing pieces that it puts forward.  Does Max fall in love with Millia during a knife fight while she is micronized on the SDF-1 or after shooting her macronized self  near fatally (?)  in the hallway of a Meltrandi gunship?  Do the pair elaborate on it in Macross 7?  It's pretty different "how we met" stories.

38 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

Is there anything that pops up in the sequels that makes it clear that any part of SDFM is canon?

"Canon" is a pretty useless concept, since Kawamori considers every Macross series to effectively be stand-alone and inconsistently picks and chooses bits he likes in any given story.

Later Macross titles have referenced the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series, however.

This is Animation Special: Macross Plus and Macross: A Future Chronicle offer some insight into how TV and Movie designs are said to coexist.  For instance, the version of the VF-1 Valkyrie from the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series is said to be representative of the first five production blocks of the VF-1 Valkyrie while the Macross: Do You Remember Love? version of the Valkyrie is representative of Block 6 and later VF-1 Valkyries.  There's a similar attitude taken with Exsedol's design, with the one being what he looks like as a miclone with his special genetic traits stripped out and the other being what he looks like normally when he's a giant.  The SDF-1 Macross itself is said to have properly had the Daedalus and Prometheus and been retrofitted into how it appeared in DYRL? during its restoration.  Pretty much all the technical material takes the attitude that there are parts of both versions that are accurate in the "true" history, usually in the form of the TV version being early model hardware and DYRL version being later model hardware.

We've seen other, explicit nods to the original series in a few shows directly too.  The New UN Spacy 33rd Marines are shown to have the TV and Movie body armor designs in use concurrently.  The honor guard that greets Sheryl when she lands on Gallia IV was entirely decked out in TV version body armor.  (They seem to have presented the TV version as infantry armor and the one from the movie as a pilot suit instead.)  The Zentradi suffering from Var syndrome in Macross Delta's first episode also have the TV version armor on. 

Berger Stone's summary of music's history as a "weapon" in Macross also uses the Supervision Army gunship design for the pre-restoration SDF-1 Macross... the one from the Macross Model Hobby Handbook that never made it into the show proper.  He uses BGM from the original series for that sequence too, and the completed SDF-1 Macross is shown taking off with no arms, meaning this is the TV version (the DYRL? version already had ARMDs attached when it took off, as seen in the game adaptation).  When the topic turns to song, the song Minmay is shown singing is Love Drifts Away (even though the visuals are her DYRL dress and DYRL Zentradi).  Ernest Johnson's office aboard the Macross Elysion has, as decoration, a TV version SDF-1 Macross model that has the Daedalus and Prometheus.

Milia, in Macross 7, has her TV series VF-1J Super Valkyrie as a privately owned VF... until Gamlin borrows it and it gets wrecked.  She has a TV version pilot suit for it as well.  IIRC, we also see TV series versions of the UN Forces uniform worn by the old timers who crew the Monster destroid as well.

Millard Johnson in Macross Plus may be a walking TV series reference, as Macross Chronicle connected him to Hikaru as one of his subordinates in the SVF-1 Skulls.  (Max was Skull Leader instead in DYRL?.)

Macross the Ride makes explicit reference to the Angel Birds, the flight demonstration unit that only appears in the TV series, with an Angel Birds VF-19 variant.

38 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

I haven't watched much of any of Macross 7, and that's probably the most heavily referential of the original series due to the presence of Max and Millia.  Maybe I'm just missing pieces that it puts forward.  Does Max fall in love with Millia during a knife fight while she is micronized on the SDF-1 or after shooting her macronized self  near fatally (?)  in the hallway of a Meltrandi gunship?  Do the pair elaborate on it in Macross 7?  It's pretty different "how we met" stories.

Nope, the two do not discuss it... the closest they get is screening selected clips from the in-universe version of the movie Do You Remember Love? which has some scenes that are not in the real world version of the movie like Max and Milia's wedding in Meltran uniforms.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Milia, in Macross 7, has her TV series VF-1J Super Valkyrie as a privately owned VF... until Gamlin borrows it and it gets wrecked.  She has a TV version pilot suit for it as well.  IIRC, we also see TV series versions of the UN Forces uniform worn by the old timers who crew the Monster destroid as well.

When these episodes played, this is when i assumed it was a Cartoon sequel. they used the cartoon uniforms, and the other veteran RDF soldiers had their cartoon era uniforms. Seeing the VF-1j again in action was a nice treat. 
It would make sense to retrofit the SDF-1 with the ARMDs and still explain how both versions could be correct. 
In Macross Delta though, its clearly the DYRL version of the ship take off before the ARMDs were attached. the color, and the shape for the main cannon are identical, plus the bridge is already one piece, in the center of the hull. 

5 hours ago, Photogirl said:

When these episodes played, this is when i assumed it was a Cartoon sequel. they used the cartoon uniforms, and the other veteran RDF soldiers had their cartoon era uniforms. Seeing the VF-1j again in action was a nice treat. 

Barring what we've been told about the forthcoming Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!!Macross doesn't really do sequels as such... each story is effectively stand-alone.  Macross 7 borrowed from the TV series and DYRL? movie in equal measure, sometimes in the same scene.  Like when they were shooting The Lynn Minmay Story in-series, and had a DYRL? Vrlitwhai next to a TV Quamzin.

It would make sense to retrofit the SDF-1 with the ARMDs and still explain how both versions could be correct. 

After Frontier, there's the implication that the SDF-1's redesign was partly becuase they used bits that were made for the mass production Macross-class ships that all follow the DYRL? design.

In Macross Delta though, its clearly the DYRL version of the ship take off before the ARMDs were attached. the color, and the shape for the main cannon are identical, plus the bridge is already one piece, in the center of the hull. 

What they're depicting, though, is the version of the ship's launch from the TV series as well as the ship's origin from the TV series.

The same scene also points to TV series order of events for the bombardment of Earth and the Minmay Attack, albeit with DYRL? visuals.

Like I said, Kawamori likes to mix and match... seemingly without rhyme or reason.

EDIT: I should add that there are several other depictions of the First Space War that use the DYRL?-style SDF-1 Macross design but give it the Daedalus and Prometheus, including the novelization of the movie and the Macross the First manga.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

This is why I just watch each one really on its' own merits and enjoy them (or at least try to) for what they are. But that said, I like the various things they've done with both the TV and DYRL versions and enjoy both in equal measure. I also like M+ and MII, and yes, M7 as well!

Frontier and Delta...not so much. They're okay, but just not my cup of Petite Cola (which reminds me...I have to make a Petite Cola machine in-scale for my factory workers in the Macross Armored Factory Diorama!).

With the addition of Delta to the Macross universe, I’m almost convinced that Macross is actually the story of the Jenius family! Frontier, Plus, and Zero are the only animated Macross works that don’t have a Jenius family member as part of the cast. 

16 hours ago, peter said:

Another Canadian here (and I live in the same city you do, peter).

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned yet but Macross II is a sequel to DYRL but not the TV series (so far at least). M2's continuity also contains two games that I forget the name of.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Like I said, Kawamori likes to mix and match... seemingly without rhyme or reason.

I wonder if he does that to piss off the fans outside Japan or because is a valid way to tell a story in Japan. I mean, continuity and canon are values that fans treasures above all things in a series... messing with that is messing with the fans directly (Or at least we usually think that way in Occident)

For me, it just doesn't matter; I love the universe as it is but I know a lot of people that thinks Kawamori doesn't know how tu run a coherent universe for his work.

9 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I wonder if he does that to piss off the fans outside Japan or because is a valid way to tell a story in Japan. I mean, continuity and canon are values that fans treasures above all things in a series... messing with that is messing with the fans directly (Or at least we usually think that way in Occident)

For me, it just doesn't matter; I love the universe as it is but I know a lot of people that thinks Kawamori doesn't know how tu run a coherent universe for his work.

I call it artistic license. Big West, the company that owns the franchise is Japanese and they unlike Kawamori do care about continuity and apparently try very hard to link all the shows, movies, etc together into a coherent narrative.

5 hours ago, camk4evr said:

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned yet but Macross II is a sequel to DYRL but not the TV series (so far at least). M2's continuity also contains two games that I forget the name of.

Nice!  Sure is a pain in the buttocks to get Macross stuff here isn't it?

51 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I also have a fuzzy recollection that apart from not liking top go back to stuff he's done already, there was a secondary reason why Kawamori did not want to revisit SDFM for another reason....he didn't want to feed HG by giving them any new material...but that might have been a rumor.  Getting old here and don't remember things clearly.

34 minutes ago, peter said:

I also have a fuzzy recollection that apart from not liking top go back to stuff he's done already, there was a secondary reason why Kawamori did not want to revisit SDFM for another reason....he didn't want to feed HG by giving them any new material...but that might have been a rumor.  Getting old here and don't remember things clearly.

This was one factor I was wondering if maybe the prioritization of references to DYRL above SDFM had some hidden meaning.  Something beyond DYRL having generally more detailed designs as well as being more popular.

As has already been shown, there ARE references to SDFM, but they're mostly relegated to supplementary materials or fanservicy blink and you'll miss it moments.  There are exceptions, but I just get the impression that whenever the franchise prominently references the "original" it either visually references DYRL or they just trot out the song from the movie.  In fact, THE major reference is to just throw Minmay in her DYRL final concert outfit on screen and start playing that song.  Throwing up the DYRL design of the SDF-1 is a close second.

I dunno.  It just often feels to me that the DYRL version of the story is the "official" one and SDFM is sort of secondary canon.  And maybe that's all this is, just sort of an irrational feeling.  But given the licensing snarl with the property, trying to shift the source/origin property for the descendants could (at least in armchair theory) make at least some hypothetical sense.

1 hour ago, peter said:

....he didn't want to feed HG by giving them any new material...but that might have been a rumor.  Getting old here and don't remember things clearly.

R******* fans have this bad habit of appropriate Macross art and other stuff to fill their lack of content. A lot of fan artist are pissed by that behavior and surely Kawamori and Mikimoto must feel the same.

I feel that we don't get the love from the creators because of those kind of people.

Edited by Gerli

6 hours ago, camk4evr said:

Sort of... Macross II: Lovers Again is officially classified as a parallel world story, but like the main continuity it does kind of cut a dash between the two versions albeit in a way that draws far more heavily in DYRL? than the TV series.  You could argue that it's technically drawing more on the novelization of DYRL?, as the Macross is shown to have had the Daedalus and Prometheus as its arms during the First Space War in Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song, as well as in some promotional material made for the OVA itself before its release.

(It has some distinctly TV-esque bits, like Quamzin not dying fighting Roy, and instead living on Earth briefly before acquiring a ship and fleeing into space... albeit only to return as an antagonist in Macross 2036 and Eternal Love Song.)

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

It's just Kawamori being auteur... he doesn't want to end up in continuity lockout the way some properties (e.g. Gundam) have done.  He wants to be free to tell the stories he wants to tell, so his attitude towards continuity is a "broad strokes" one when it comes to the TV shows.

Other materials, like light novels, manga, games, artbooks, and so on tend to do a bit more with actual continuity because they're marketed to fans who are naturally inclined to want that kind of thing.  It's kinda like how Gundam has the AU stories for folks who want just a standalone story and the UC for die-hard fans who are into continuity porn.

1 hour ago, peter said:

Yeah, Kawamori has indicated directly or indirectly on a number of occasions that he's not keen on direct sequels and the like.  His attitude towards the Hikaru-Misa-Minmay situation is that their story arc had a natural conclusion, so it's best to let it be.  They've sailed off into the metaphorical sunset.

The stuff about not wanting to feed HG is just fan conjecture AFAIK.  HG never had any rights to Macross's sequels apart from the merchandising rights to DYRL? it got in '01, so it's not like they can do anything even if Macross went on a TV series referencing spree.

27 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

This was one factor I was wondering if maybe the prioritization of references to DYRL above SDFM had some hidden meaning.  Something beyond DYRL having generally more detailed designs as well as being more popular.

Nope... it's just the author's personal preference, and as we've shown his preference changes on a case-by-case basis.

As has already been shown, there ARE references to SDFM, but they're mostly relegated to supplementary materials or fanservicy blink and you'll miss it moments.

Eh... the official Macross timeline essentially takes the TV series version of the story as gospel and the entirety of Macross 7 is one long explanation of the mentioned-only Supervision Army from the TV series version of the story and all references to the ancient Protoculture are built on that.

It's just that they seem to prefer to use the more visually impressive DYRL? designs to be used in subsequent animated works that are set after it.

I dunno.  It just often feels to me that the DYRL version of the story is the "official" one and SDFM is sort of secondary canon.  And maybe that's all this is, just sort of an irrational feeling.  But given the licensing snarl with the property, trying to shift the source/origin property for the descendants could (at least in armchair theory) make at least some hypothetical sense.

It's explicitly not the case, though.

Later titles perceptions of history may be muddied somewhat by the many, MANY in-universe docu-dramas about Lynn Minmay and the First Space War that were filmed using later versions of real ships and mecha like Do You Remember Love? using postwar VF-1's and having a West Point-class training ship with a holographic camouflage applied to it stand in for the Zentradi mothership.  Many characters are more familiar with and connected to those dramatizations than the actual history, esp. since Do You Remember Love? was one of those films that defined a generation when it came out in 2031.

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Sort of... Macross II: Lovers Again is officially classified as a parallel world story, but like the main continuity it does kind of cut a dash between the two versions albeit in a way that draws far more heavily in DYRL? than the TV series.  You could argue that it's technically drawing more on the novelization of DYRL?, as the Macross is shown to have had the Daedalus and Prometheus as its arms during the First Space War in Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song, as well as in some promotional material made for the OVA itself before its release.

Macross was also treated a bit differently back in those days, even if only due to the nature of the kinds of reboots and storyline extensions that were being done in that era.

I know those two are PC Engine (or CD or whatever the proper terminology is) games.  Whichever one is the turn based tactical RPG, did that one ever get an english translation patch?  I'm not as plugged into the retrogaming scene as I once was.  The last time I checked many years ago, it still seemed to be a blind spot among the fan translators.

15 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's just that they seem to prefer to use the more visually impressive DYRL? designs to be used in subsequent animated works that are set after it.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.  As someone who is primarily about the shows and what is onscreen, I just get more of a DYRL visual callback vibe.  

Come to think of it, that may be what colors my perception.

I come to Macross via Robotech.  So to me the SDFM series is first in my mind as Robotech.  My first direct exposure to Macross was via the Clash of the Bionoids dub of DYRL.  But that at least makes DYRL first and foremost in my mind as Macross.  I perceive the later Macross shows as mostly using movie visuals when referencing back.  Plus there is the distinction in my mind that TV = Robotech and Movie = Macross.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, I never watched much of Macross 7.  During the time I was interested in it, I had no potential access.  By the time I had access, I had no real interest in that chapter.  

9 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

I know those two are PC Engine (or CD or whatever the proper terminology is) games.  Whichever one is the turn based tactical RPG, did that one ever get an english translation patch?  I'm not as plugged into the retrogaming scene as I once was.  The last time I checked many years ago, it still seemed to be a blind spot among the fan translators.

I'm not aware of any translation patches for those PC Engine SuperCD games... but then, I haven't exactly looked very hard for one either since I can read enough Japanese to get by.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.  As someone who is primarily about the shows and what is onscreen, I just get more of a DYRL visual callback vibe.  

Come to think of it, that may be what colors my perception.

I suspect a lot of it may be that you didn't watch all of Macross 7... since that sets up a LOT of the later stories, but is also one huge expansion on the backstory of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series that explains how the Protoculture civilization fell and why, and introduces us to those directly responsible for it as the show's principal antagonists.  It's also what set up a lot of the nature of in-universe dramatizations of the First Space War, since it introduced the idea that DYRL? was a movie in the universe (at least, within a show, the concept was also explained in print media) and had the main characters be involved in filming another TV docu-drama based on the First Space War during the course of the story.

(There's also the vague implication that Macross II is a work of speculative fiction in-universe, since almost the entire OVA soundtrack seems to be the galactic billboard Top 40 and the Minmay Attack Girl has some brief cameo appearances.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

15 hours ago, camk4evr said:

Another Canadian here, eh!  From Victoria, lived in Vancouver for a couple of years (near where they filmed Stargate), before moving to Japan.  ;)

On 8/20/2020 at 1:21 AM, Photogirl said:

Why does nobody seem concerned that the Megaroad has gone missing with what are the universe's 3 greatest folk heroes aboard?

Simply put, they were given their "ride off into the sunset".  Of course, it doesn't help that it happened in print form.

Here's (a translation of) the circumstances leading up to their disappearance: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/OTother/MinmeiLastMessage.php

The other reason people aren't so concerned is that fleets, like the one the Megaroad-01 was part of, sometimes go missing.  The reasons why are varied, from attacks by one of the millions of Zentrādi Fleets still out in the galaxy, disappearing in something called a Fold Fault (like a space-time dislocation in a Space Fold), or succumbing to other natural phenomenon.

In some cases, it can take years to get to a fleet's last known location (the Macross Frontier Fleet was "10 years Fold travel time from Earth" in the MF TV series).  Not to mention that space is really vast.  Which is why you have some characters, for example Richard Bilra in MF, still hoping to find Minmei, some 40 or 50 years after her disappearance.

13 hours ago, peter said:

Nice!  Sure is a pain in the buttocks to get Macross stuff here isn't it?

Used to be easier to get Macross merchandise. Unfortunately, most of the stores that carried them shut down when the recession hit in the early 2000s, one i know closed when the owner retired, and the music stores i knew that were selling Macross cds were shut down. There are still a number of places in Metro Vancouver that do import Macross merch when they get them (unfortunately, not very often).