Sketchley's Macross Translations Pt 2

sketchley

Over the past few months I've been slowly updating, revamping, and modernizing my sites (yay CSS!).  I've made enough progress to 'officially' announce it (and start a new topic as the original dates back to 2010!!!)

Sketchley's Macross Translations

The biggest change so far is an overhaul of the Glossary/Disambiguation page:

• now includes links to definitions in Macross Chronicle's Glossary pages, etc.
  • eternal work in progress, so if you'd like a term added (or definition modified), please message me  (alas, including all Macross names and terms are beyond the page's scope).

Sketchley's Macross Stats

More or less a distillation and collection of my translations by mecha.  Remember text in...

The old Sketchley's Macross Translations topic: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/33597-macross-translations-and-more/

Edited by sketchley

Macross Chronicle Glossary Pages: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/MCRglossary.php

I've spent the past 4 months revising ALL of these.  Aside from the changed layout, most pages have:

• revised/fixed translations
  • additional translated content

In addition, I've just finished Pg 27.  As it was mostly the character related parts, I can't say that there is any info that we haven't seen elsewhere.  However, please enjoy the revised/fixed translations on this, and the preceding 26 pages, as some of those translations have changed rather dramatically!

Please stay tuned for further fixed/revised and new content.

Edited by sketchley

Thanks guys!

Completed:  Macross Chronicle Glossary 26A: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/MCRglossary.php

There are a couple of intriguing points in the character descriptions:

1. Lynn Minmei: it ends with a brief summary of her fate detailed in the mail-in the SDFM DYRL PS1 Game Mail-in Gift - I guess that means the circumstances of the Megaroad-01's disappearance are official.
  2. Rapu Ramizu: includes a mention Miria Farīna's rank: 一級空士長.  I can't remember if I've translated it before, and the Macross Compendium doesn't list it, either.  I've included my "best guess" and the reasons why in the translator's notes.
Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...

Complete: Macross Chronicle Glossary #24A and #25A: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/MCRglossary.php

The only *newly translated* content is character related—so not much in the way of heretofore unrevealed info.  Nevertheless, some nice summaries, and I guess you could say one or two had an interesting perspective on events.

For a change of pace, I've also been updating/revising the pages in my RPG stats site.  I've been focusing on the Locations (that appear in Macross/RPG games) , and this week I tackled Planet Elysium (from Macross Digital Mission VF-X).

I've recently acquired the Macross Digital Mission VF-X Official Program, and it is a wealth of additional information not found in Macross Digital Mission VF-X Flight Manual.  While I'd like to dive into translating other parts of the book*, I've focused on Planet Elysium.  Scroll down to the "Image Gallery" section for the translation of the rather informative description of the Elysium environshttp://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Locations/OutsideBorders/Elysium.php

Frustratingly, there is a discrepancy between the two books:  Macross Digital Mission VF-X Flight Manual states that there are no moons around Elysium, but Macross Digital Mission VF-X Official Program states that there are "two satellites in the 1,000 km diameter class".  For the stats summary, I've gone with 2 moons, as it's rather hard for a planet to be stable long enough to become Earth-like (let alone have the right conditions for life to start!) without something like a moon.

* it has a wealth of info on not just Elysium, but the characters, as well as the mecha introduced in the game—such as the Pheyos Valkyrie, Rigādo Kai, Gurāji Kai, and Jināru Fighter Pod Kai.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to (finally) get around to scanning the 8th image of Elysium today: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Locations/OutsideBorders/Elysium.php#Elysium

... it's not much to look at, but I'm sure the MW members who don't have the Mook(s) in question will appreciate being able to view the full set of pre-production image boards for Macross Digital Mission VF-X—not to mention see how different the envisioned game and what was released are!

Edited by sketchley

Completed:  Macross Chronicle Worldguide 13A: Various Planets:  http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/MCRworldguide/13aVariousPlanets.php

I'm a little bit stunned by how much this single sheet covers.  Because it covers so much, details are thin, but it does provide a bunch of facts that I've never seen anywhere else—too many to list in a short summary here!

Perhaps the biggest revelation is that the Zolans are not marsupials (at least in the sense of using their abdominal pouch to raise their young).

The reasons why Zola is unsuitable for human habitation are also... rather surprising (given how well the Zolan setting is arranged and how much is new to me, it makes me wonder just how much was "lost in translation" in the fansub I watched way back when!)

The sheet's hat-trick is a shout-out to the various planets that have appeared in things as diverse as Isamu's service history bio in Macross Plus to the 2 VF-X games, what kind of planets they may or may not be, and why they're breeding grounds for terrorists.  Again, details are light, but what breadth!

... I wish I had gotten around to this one 5 or 6 years ago! (^_^;)

38 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Perhaps the biggest revelation is that the Zolans are not marsupials (at least in the sense of using their abdominal pouch to raise their young).

... I therefore choose to believe some poor Protoculture woman was fed up with women's clothes not having adequate pockets and resolved to engineer a species for which that would never be an issue.

The reasons why Zola is unsuitable for human habitation are also... rather surprising (given how well the Zolan setting is arranged and how much is new to me, it makes me wonder just how much was "lost in translation" in the fansub I watched way back when!)

Must've been a lot, since all that stuff actually gets mentioned right in the OVA itself.  

Basara's "borrowed" VT-1C gets destroyed just by getting too close to the whales in the first episode, and in the second a badly injured (and unconscious) Basara gets lectured by Elma about how there's so much bacteria because of the whales that he could easily catch a lethal infection and die since he's not immunized against them.

(The OVA also seemed to lean towards Zola having a minimal human presence because the system itself had been discovered and contacted by an emigrant fleet in the not-too-distant past, as a way of explaining the weird disparity in the planet's tech level with its early 20th century tech being native and the advanced stuff being largely exports from New UN Gov't worlds.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

23 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Must've been a lot, since all that stuff actually gets mentioned right in the OVA itself. 

I was referring mostly to the bacteria stuff.  The effects of the Galactic Whales on Valkyries is kind of hard to miss—subtitled or not.  ;)