New 1/350 MOSPEADA Garfish Project?

Hey guys. I've had a lot of requests for me to revisit the MOSPEADA Garfish and thought I'd put a feeler out to see what actual interest would be.

The original 1/350 Garfish kit I mastered for Neptune Models was on the small side (30.5cm long). If I were to offer a newly mastered version, resized to 35cm length (harmonized and proportional with the dimensions of the new Sentinel Legioss), who would want a kit?

Project codename: STARFISH
Projected retail price: $300 Canadian
Would include:
- waterslide markings
-translucent parts (lenses, engine thrusters)
-fighter bays with hatches that can be posed open or closed
-a compliment of three in-scale fighter aircraft

I'd need 30 orders to make this happen. Commitment would require a $150 CAD deposit, and the balnce upon completion. If I can get the minimum commitment of 30 orders by September 11th, the project will be green lit.

garfish.jpg

bastien m resinkit_garfish_28.jpg

12 minutes ago, captain america said:

-a compliment of three in-scale fighter aircraft

I'm in for one.  For the in-scale fighter are we talking about the Legioss/Tread combo? Three of those I guess could also be considered 6 aircraft so I wasn't sure. 

Thanks, Carl

34 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

I'm in for one.  For the in-scale fighter are we talking about the Legioss/Tread combo? Three of those I guess could also be considered 6 aircraft so I wasn't sure. 

Thanks, Carl

Fighters (Legioss) only. The Tread portion would be part of another 1/350 project should this one go forward.

sorry cap, i already have 2 of the previous version, so likely pass for me. i would be interested to get a bunch of the fighters and treads though.

i'm hoping what you're hinting at for the next project is the Horizont.  you can pre-list me for one in 1/144, or two if 1/350.

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

the 1/350 Monster is also on my want list. it seems the previous attempt on it fizzled out.  the masters looked very good. a shame that it seems to have been lost.

back to mospeada, does anyone know if the legioss and/or tread were ever kitted in 144?

16 minutes ago, Major Focker said:

sorry cap, i already have 2 of the previous version, so likely pass for me. i would be interested to get a bunch of the fighters and treads though.

i'm hoping what you're hinting at for the next project is the Horizont.  you can pre-list me for one in 1/144, or two if 1/350.

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

Yes!  Yes, give me that!  INJECT IT RIGHT INTO MY VEINS!!! :yahoo:

I have a special love for the Horizont ever since my brother and our friends made a Robotech/Firefly fusion in the tabletop RPG, and this ship was their Serenity.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

That's a substantial difference.  Did you re-evaluate the scale?

I took Sentinel's 1/48 Legioss and the original anime style sheets and compared them to re-plot the ship's size. There are stated numerical values, rendered size comparisons, both of which contradict each other, and then you have to have a ship that will actualy allow the fighters to fit inside the hangar bays while still doing justice to what the stylists created. That said, the stats posted on MAHQ are utterly off.

1469249034_ScreenShot2020-08-05at10_34_57AM.png.7baeaaa3bd1d53f0760fcf85000f897b.pngYou didn't think I was going to take the lazy way out, did you? :lol:

Edited by captain america

yup, quite small. the Legioss will probably same size as a 1/350 F-14. just the Legioss in 1/144 might be similarly sized as the 1/350 Legioss+Tread combined shown in the first post.

i'm hoping to put together an airshow diorama in 144 scale.  security will be handled by patrolling VF-1 and crowd control by 144 Patlabor Ingrams i found in WonFes a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 10:11 AM, captain america said:

Five two slots left to fill. 

On 8/26/2020 at 4:25 AM, sierra-ii7 said:

John please put me down for two, thanks!

Is it safe to assume we crossed the 30 kit threshold back on the 26th?  Just curious if there was an official announcement that this project was a "go".

Carl 

3 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

Is it safe to assume we crossed the 30 kit threshold back on the 26th?  Just curious if there was an official announcement that this project was a "go".

Carl 

Apologies for the long silence, I mostly just update my facebook page. Yes, project is a go. I will begin taking deposits on Sept 11th. For those who pay the ($150 CAD) deposit up until Oct 12th, the kit price is $300 + shipping. On Oct 13 and onward, the kit price jumps to $333 + shipping.

As of today, I will be accepting pre-order payments for the 1/350 Starfish (Garfish) project. The full kit price is $300 Canadian + shipping for those who make their deposit payment before October 13. From October 13th and onward, the kit will still be available, but the price will be $330 + shipping. 

-The amount due between now and October 12th: $150 Canadian

The balance will be due upon completion of the masters, circa late October/early November.

Patrons located in Canada/the U.S. can send payment to me directly, while international patrons can direct their payments to @return2kitform

I have already begun work on the masters, and you can expect the first scratchbuilding update next Friday, the 18th. 

Captain’s log: Friday, September 18th.

Construction of the new 1/350 Starfish project is well underway. Pic 01 shows the basics of what I start a project with, that is to say the original line-art, same-size diagrams, some blocks of modeling board, resin-cast blanks for turning the round parts, and some basic tools. The upper and lower forward hull will require some fairly big blocks to machine from, and of course those will need to be squared.01.jpg.32468d79980c838817c848a2e0ed3080.jpg

Which brings us to pic 02. Thankfully, my cross-slide table is long enough to accomodate such large pieces; otherwise, I’d have to mill two or three smaller blocks and bond them together. I try to crate assemblies in one piece as much as possible, if only to save time. These blocks will need to be properly squared and prepared for the next stage.

02.jpg.50ca4392ac659eb658d0d0c8ea270633.jpg

Pic 03: with the modeling board blocks milled perfectly square, I can now affix the paper-cut plots.

03.jpg.d6fa7cbbe81029b4e34142f913c871be.jpg

Pic 04: with the templates now securely affixed, I can use the band saw to begin basic separation and initial shaping. Not being a scroll saw, I can’t get very detailed cuts for fear of damaging both the blade and the blocks, so there’s still quite a bit of extra material to be removed.04.jpg.e2f729d2ef42042c830caaa2fc91bdba.jpg

At this point, I have a few options for more refined shaping: the mill, the belt sander, the (now deceased) drill press, and the Dremel. Since I’m still at a very critical stage where I need to preserve the cross-sections, the mill wil be the tool of choice, bringing us to pic 05. While this particular step is slow and tedious, it allows me to remove material while keeping the blocks perfectly parallel. Once this step is performed properly, only a few minor square steps will remain, and then I can get the block to match the template shape with some careful hand sanding.05.jpg.8d0fe66b892a13d0cdf8c35e84a620dc.jpg

Pic 06: here are two basic cutters used for milling: a standard square cutter on the left, and a bull-nosed cutter on the right. The latter is better suited for concave curvatures, whereas the former is used for square cuts and some convex curvatures.

06.jpg.a5640fbf3c405a9160676249ba07e054.jpg

Since the mill was now thoroughly filthy, I decided to foul-up my other machine by turning some blanks used to make the thrusters. Several years ago, I made a silicone mold of some cylindrical shapes of various sizes, which I then fill with resin to make machining blanks. While resin is certainly much faster to turn than metal, it doesn’t preserve its rigidity nearly as well under heat and stress, so requires careful attention to work. Pic 07 shows the one of the main thrusters under construction.

07.jpg.e18bc4fdfa30a8cdc69289b516db97ee.jpg

Pic 08: it took an absurd amount of work just to get to this step! Short to describe, but long and tedious to perform. In the upper-left of the pic, you can see a piece of « discarded » filler material which was removed by the band saw earlier. Being a precious commodity for me, this scrap of modeling board will be conserved, reshaped and repurposed in due course.08.jpg.a3d50d87292cf8c11cb0a14b8018274d.jpg

Pic 09: the very early stages of construction of the belly-mounted fighter bays which will mount on the ship’s belly. The piece of modeling board between the walls is actually a template which will be used to create the semi-hexahonal shape of the container, which will be largely made with styrene.

09.jpg.e766fec1c6ed4f888ec890e997c5597d.jpg

That concludes this week’s build log. Don't forget that you have until October 12th to get your deposit in to get your kit at $300 CAD. Next week’s update will already show a significant leap forward, so stay tuned!

Captain’s log: Friday September 25th.

When last we met, I was starting to develop the launch bays for the fighter. You’ll be getting an eyefull of those in the next update, but for now, I will continue to tutor you in the construction of the main hulls. 

Pic 10 shows me using the bull-nose cutter to create the opening for the ship’s frontal eye-sensors. Doing it this way ensures that the « eyes » will be the same size on both sides, and evenly spaced. If you’ve noticed that the work area is starting to get a little messy, you’re correct.10.thumb.jpg.ee8009ff8451ff1c07c4b6df60f126eb.jpg

In fact, this is a perfect opportunity to show you the milling station as I work on the ship’s horizontal sensor band (pic 11.) It will usually look like this way after as little as 30 minutes of machining, so before I go any further…

11.thumb.jpg.c3fcfbe4a42331505ef699105b186199.jpg

…I break-out the shop-vac and clean off all the debris (pic 12.) Aesthetics aside, a dirty work area can become a safety hazzard, so a quick (literally 5 minute) clean-up brings it back to order. I used to leave the shop-vac on during the whole process, but as you might imagine, it’s very loud and produces a lot of uncomfortably warm air, so the best compromise was simply to clean intermittently.

12.thumb.jpg.7d30670cf527ccc3b9388a10b5bc31f7.jpg

Parts now go back to the band saw so that I can begin shaping the vertical cross-sections (pic 13.) As before, this particular saw doesn’t allow for sharp curves or detailed cuts, so my aim is to remove as much excess material without cutting into the paper templates. The excess on this particular part (the upper forward hull) was removed using two cuts, but it’s not uncommon for me to make several cuts, depending on the part’s complexity.

13.thumb.jpg.ba2d511c424fba0e7790a8bbdfdc83b7.jpg

When there’s very little excess to remove, or a very complex shape, like in pic 14, I’ll just go straight to the mill. Here you can see the shaping of the aft main shruster bells.

14.thumb.jpg.b3184cf60b45108f90ed1c2de0043666.jpg

Because smoothing-out the huls would have taken far longer by hand, I decided to break-out my trusty belt sander to save some time (pic 15.) I will still do the final shaping by hand, but this machine will save me a couple of hours on all the hull parts.

15.thumb.jpg.3db443020397dbdf42a434d7e09ce5f9.jpg

The second most glamorous part of the build: hand sanding! (pic 16.) To make sure both top and bottom hulls mate perfectly, I will lightly tack them together with CA glue and sand them together. The paper templates are still attached, and will guide every stroke of my sanding block.

16.thumb.jpg.06694ee4f195b80034bb49517a96828b.jpg

The most glorious part of any project is carving with a rotary tool! I’m basically sitting at my work station wearing sound bafflers, the shop-vac nozzle placed a few inches from my working surface, and I simply grind away (pic 17.)

17.thumb.jpg.07a24c4e65437bd9f5545e9b352e286c.jpg

Because the hull parts are quite large, I will be shaping not only the outer surfaces with the rotary tool, but I’ll be hollowing them out as well: twice the fun! The outer hull shape is the main focus of my work, so my days are spent carefully carving away at the excess material, then refining the hull shapes with progressively finer sanding blocks. Once this is accomplished, only then will I aim the rotary tool at the insides to hollow them out.

Pic 18 shows the end result of that week’s work. What doesn’t show-up in pics is all the thinking, plotting, adjusting and fitting required to make all the hull parts fit together harmoniously.

18.thumb.jpg.3122d1e5d0a717642631656f9a79f217.jpg

Pic 19: as you can see, everything fits! But beyond merely fitting, the parts will have to fit sturdily together, and I think I achieved a rather clever solution for parts interlock, but more on that next week, so stay tuned!

19.thumb.jpg.b95c2d34a294a96f3610ecddf5bc9f57.jpg

As always, Cap'n, I'm in awe of your skill.  Templates on blocks to blocky shapes to BAM decent looking blank!  Having binge-watched a bunch of This Old Tony videos on YouTube, I can now appreciate how much effort it takes to get things set up in the machines before you do the actual cutting!  

Moar!  Always moar! :yahoo:

Captain’s log: Friday, October 2nd.

Things are starting to look interesting now. Pics 01 and 02 show the 1/350 scale fighter, which is utterly tiny, but accurate. I based the overall geometry on Sentinel’s 1/48 Legioss figure, which I consider the new standard. While a bit on the small side, it is the most faithful representation available.

02.thumb.jpg.212a00f10334986358370aa5e1424957.jpg01.thumb.jpg.33554ac8c311ce214ba77cf64b0f9b4b.jpg

Pics 03-05 show the (mostly) complete cargo/fighter bays. I decided that since the bays themselves are quite shallow that they would need some sort of integrated catapult system to adequately eject the fighters into battle (pic 04.) If you turn your attention to pic 05, you will see the basic 3-part breakdown of the launch bay. The piece in the middle will be molded in translucent resin, and will act as a light-pipe for illumination purposes inside this otherwise limited space.

04.thumb.jpg.4f863ef6da8742bb732bf90117619d2f.jpg03.thumb.jpg.c763f6c962ea1c076666102d08752a2d.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.e3336b014339ca447912f11b1f37a169.jpg

Pics 06 and 07 show the hull mating mechanism. The bigger a kit gets, even if it’s the same subject, it will need to be re-engineered to address size and weight issues, and that’s what I did here. The large tabs on the fore and aft sections can, if desired, be attached to the center bulkhead with screws for both sturdiness and maintenance. The entire joint section will be hidden beneath a removable vanity panel. Easy-peasy!

06.thumb.jpg.5e37f8752d8cfd0a39615e0789696684.jpg

07.thumb.jpg.0884489e3e39df4be2ff4326c67b5c72.jpg

Pic 08: another practical change I made to the kit was to leave the side panels on the center bulkhead separate. That way, you can drill mounting holes into that bulkhead and mount it to a stand from either side, and even be able to switch the mounting from left to right for photography or lighting purposes. I got the idea from the studio model of the Enterprise Refit, and how they had different hard points on the ship to film it from various angles.

08.thumb.jpg.ebc58eb430330a7fda22fc298fc382b5.jpg

Pics 09 and 10: the putty smash technique being put to good use. While I prefer to use Tamiya’s polyester putty for its fine detail, it has the drawback of taking almost an hour before I can start carving it. Bondo putty (the blue-gray stuff) will cut my carving time to one third, but doesn’t capture fine detail quite as well. Pic 11 shows the now sculpted snout sensor.

09.thumb.jpg.df5591a777e5e887b57406ce25f63754.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.549cd38c4250bde09f0c22a0de0ee534.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.c806c3f2e47119bbc7c0502d7f132e5c.jpg

Pics 12-14 show most of the ship, crudely taped together but looking great! All of the structures and components are sculpted, so the next two weeks will entail molding duplicate parts to finish the aft hulls and finally detailing the ship. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait!!

12.thumb.jpg.bce0249deaf0efc32e555d2ad80b8158.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.40bd80b04e8ce2f858f2d39a4b5e0756.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.31e0441afd00c08a25008cc8c9769f1d.jpg

10 days left to take advantage of the pre-order special. B))

Haaa Captain ^_^, Always a wonderful job :good:

After my green (thanks to display it here :) ), i already have a second Garfish kit in stock who's wait me so ... I can't participate this time ... but I still follow your work with always a great pleasure!  

Bonne continuation ! ;)

Bastien

On 10/3/2020 at 3:19 AM, sierra-ii7 said:

These updates are amazing, I've paid my deposit for two of these.

Any chance you can option a few extra Alpha fighters? I would love one displayed with a squadron in flight

Thanks and really great work so far!

I'll wait until I get to the molding process and see how well these tiny fighters cast before making any promises on extras, but it's something I'm aiming for.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:20 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

I was looking at the wooden mock up prototype and I have to ask, have you ever considered offering a polished wooden desk top model like the high end ones we typically see on general's desks?

I don't think there would be any demand for me to charge $35 an hour, for X number of hours to build, paint & shellack over the fine detail of the kit, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.