• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 12:07 PM, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, Ridley Scott executive produced 2049 which probably explains why it was so good, lol. Seriously, Ridley Scott is one of my all time favorite directors but he sucks at making follow up films like he did with the ALIEN prequels. I just re-watched ALIEN and it's still so good! I'd lean that ALIEN is slightly more timeless than ALIENS is. I hope I didn't derail this thread, lol.

But yeah, Ridley's schedule is filled with so many movies and I guess he's trying to complete as many as he can while he still around as he's 83 years old.

After Alien Covenant, I believe Tarantino's theory about directors declining when they get old. Because even though Prometheus wasn't as good as Alien. It was still a fairly good movie with just a few small problems. Alien Covenant is a horrible movie for the most part. Almost shocking that the guy who made Alien could make that. It just about killed the Alien films. We'll see if the upcoming TV show can restart things. I hear the new comic might be good.

But with the plot lines from Alien Covenant, I think Ridley Scott or the writers just want to tell an evil AI story. Either I posted it before or it was something I read on the Internet. But was something like an AI would be in charge at Weyland-Yutani the whole time. We just didn't know it. I think that plotline was used in a fairly recent cyberpunk movie as well.

The sad thing is, all they had to make was an origin of that crashed spaceship story from the original Alien. Two movies in and they haven't done it yet.

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

After Alien Covenant, I believe Tarantino's theory about directors declining when they get old. Because even though Prometheus wasn't as good as Alien. It was still a fairly good movie with just a few small problems. Alien Covenant is a horrible movie for the most part. Almost shocking that the guy who made Alien could make that. It just about killed the Alien films. We'll see if the upcoming TV show can restart things. I hear the new comic might be good.

But with the plot lines from Alien Covenant, I think Ridley Scott or the writers just want to tell an evil AI story. Either I posted it before or it was something I read on the Internet. But was something like an AI would be in charge at Weyland-Yutani the whole time. We just didn't know it. I think that plotline was used in a fairly recent cyberpunk movie as well.

The sad thing is, all they had to make was an origin of that crashed spaceship story from the original Alien. Two movies in and they haven't done it yet.

Agreed and I don't want to derail the thread but the ALIEN: Isolation game had the best ALIEN story since ALIENS.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

New trailer. Better than the first but that was a very low bar, still not digging it.

Voice acting/dialog is bad. 2032 is not believably distant enough for flying cars. Teenage girl killing people with a katana is very cliche...wait, did they take the name literally?

34 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

The original movie took place in the far future of... 2019.  So it is in alternate future territory

Original movie aired in 1982...so 2019 was almost 40 years in the future at that point. The newer movie was 2049.

So this movie being "alternate future" is a first for Blade Runner. They can do that, but I think it's less compelling.

"In the year 2032...in an alternate universe where the flying cars in 2032 would totally make sense..." I mean do they explain that? And if they have to explain it, that's already a lose, IMO.

Edited by danth

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to watch the third episode tonight. I do prefer the look of the last short animation we received before the last movie. But most of the environments in Black Lotus are well done. Also, the lead character Elle is well designed. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a figure of her.

I like the opening song too. However, at times the animation seems rough. And I hate it when people say movies look like a video game as if they are putting down video games. But the animation at times reminded me of not just bad video game animation but older video game animation. It seems to happen mostly on the side characters though.

I'm not sure about the thing they are doing with Elle at times. I've seen it in other cyberpunk shows that I can't remember right now. We'll see how that plays out in future episodes. If you like cyberpunk anime I don't see how you can pass on this one.

Edited by JetJockey

• 1 month later...

First episode was cool. Not ground breaking, but I enjoyed it. The environment is well done. The action seemed well paced. The music fits. I don't see how this is an alternative reality, as some have said. It seems to fit just fine with the existing material. Looking forward to more.

Edited by Bolt

Been watching from the beginning, and environmentally, I think they've got it down pretty well.  To put the story and main character into perspective this is set 17 years prior to 2049, and the production of Replicants has been banned. But, someone is still making them illegally, which sets the stage for our protagonist. Too, that's shared knowledge by certain people in high positions, not to mention there is still at least one active Blade Runner on the job. Lotus is trying to get to the root of who created her and the others.

I'm enjoying the show thus far; it's well written, well acted, the action is well done, the music is appropriate, the CG is good, and I like the two main characters (Lotus and Officer Davis, who is investigating BL).  Hopefully it'll get a second season.