Likewise. They took a few liberties with The Killing Joke that had folks up in arms, and changed the identities of the antagonists in Gotham by Gaslight and Hush. The latter bugged me, as I was pretty excited for Hush. It was still a good movie, overall, but changing Hush's identity just didn't sit right with me. I guess they did it to keep it fresh for the fans? :unknw: I would have preferred they stuck to the comic as-is. I think the same sentiment applied for most fans of Killing Joke.

Anyway, I've never been much of a comic collector, but for some reason, IIRC, I bought an edition of Death in the Family. I have no idea where it is now, as over the years, as most folks do, I've accumulated a lot of stuff, much of which is boxed up and secreted away in every available nook and cranny of my little house. I have a whole box of Iron Man comics, and it's likely packed with them. I digress.  DitF is the only Batman story with which I have a connection through the comics, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I liked how they spun Jason's story in Batman: The Arkham Knight. Honestly, though, they already told Jason's story in Under the Red Hood. The difference here is that, like the original comic, they're giving the option to the viewer, interactively (Jason Todd's fate in the original comic was decided by a telephone voting system), to decide Jason's fate. Kind of a neat throwback, I guess. It's an interesting way to present material that's generally linear; now you can watch it multiple times making different choices.

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Likewise. They took a few liberties with The Killing Joke that had folks up in arms, and changed the identities of the antagonists in Gotham by Gaslight and Hush. The latter bugged me, as I was pretty excited for Hush. It was still a good movie, overall, but changing Hush's identity just didn't sit right with me. I guess they did it to keep it fresh for the fans? :unknw: I would have preferred they stuck to the comic as-is. I think the same sentiment applied for most fans of Killing Joke.

Anyway, I've never been much of a comic collector, but for some reason, IIRC, I bought an edition of Death in the Family. I have no idea where it is now, as over the years, as most folks do, I've accumulated a lot of stuff, much of which is boxed up and secreted away in every available nook and cranny of my little house. I have a whole box of Iron Man comics, and it's likely packed with them. I digress.  DitF is the only Batman story with which I have a connection through the comics, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I liked how they spun Jason's story in Batman: The Arkham Knight. Honestly, though, they already told Jason's story in Under the Red Hood. The difference here is that, like the original comic, they're giving the option to the viewer, interactively (Jason Todd's fate in the original comic was decided by a telephone voting system), to decide Jason's fate. Kind of a neat throwback, I guess. It's an interesting way to present material that's generally linear; now you can watch it multiple times making different choices.

I agree. I think they too a little too much liberties with some of the content. Wish they'd be more true to the comic, may not be as fresh or original but dang! That's why the comics were great ya?

I’m guessing it’s supposed to be like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book or Black Mirror:  Bandersnatch or like most BioWare RPG’s.

The tension isn’t so much in the decision itself, but what happens afterwards.

Of course, some of those “innocent” choices winds up with you dead or accidentally killing off people unexpectedly.

It’s one way to get repeat viewings or play value out of some entertainment:  trying to get all of the main endings/results.

Yep,  the Fallout games have been doing this at least since Fallout 3 (never played the originals), offering multiple endings based on player choices. I assume this will do something similar, albeit in a more limited form (how many choices can they offer in a  1.5-2 hr film?  There has to be some linearity to the story for cohesion). It's an interesting way to present the story, though. I'm willing to give it a watch.

I've long felt that DC do a far better job with their animation than Marvel. DC tend to tell grittier stories, I think. All the way back from B:TAS, to Justice League, I thought they did a great job with writing the characters, choosing really good VAs (and VA directors- Cheers, Andrea Romano!), and addressing the not-always sunny interpersonal relationships between  the characters. It made for really compelling storytelling that found an audience with adults as well as kids, a mean feat back in the 80's and 90's when it wasn't cool to be 'nerdy', and especially not cool to be an adult indulging in such things as toons and toys. I was flipping the bird to convention even then. ;)  I'm proud of my nerd cred! :lol:

I have to agree that the decision altering the consequences sound interesting here. Like if you let Jason die that would bring up an alternate persona or would it actually just be his true death. Or is saving him the thing that brings about the alternate persona in a different way. I’m kinda curious about this one and it’s an interesting way to update the change of medium between waiting til the next issue comes up in a monthly issue of a comic to the modern tech and being able to see things multiple ways and then saying that ending was dark, now let me change my mind and see if I get the good ending only to find the epically worse ending.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...