VF-1S 3D Printed 1/20 Scale Project

Aztek

4 hours ago, Aztek said:

I did a quick adjustment with the mesh.  Will also post a render tomorrow.  One question, in the cutaway schematic, left arm, the backhand faces outward, which way is the thumb? Up or down?

The thumb rests on the bottom according to the drawing. 

Note only three fingers are prominently shown and make up the slat appearance.  The pinky appears to be tucked in, due to this you will have to add a rotation joint to the pinky as well, on the first to palm joint.

The thumb is a little tricky to see, there is plenty of room.

9A860B3D-ED8A-428D-B64B-0831484DB500.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross

• 2 months later...

I’ve been struggling to make time with work/family/holidays lately but there may be some opportunity to work on some updates soon.  I’d like to move past the hands/storage/size issue right now.  Thx for the line art@nightmareB4macross but I’m torn with the way to go on this.  Can definitely make the hands slide out vs. rotate, might even open some space for a larger hand.  Just can’t get past there not being an environmental door or hatch that keeps the hands sealed inside.  Does anyone have any screenshots or line art that shows forearms with hands stowed from the rear? I searched a few episodes from Macross and DYRL.  Was hoping for a shot of the 3D valks in Delta but the angles were off.  Thoughts?

-Az

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update.  Kinda :) 

Spent some time working on Hikaru to pilot this beast.  I wanted a fully articulated action figure style pilot I could put in the cockpit or have standing outside.  Trying to engineer the joints on such a small scale with a strong but brittle medium is a challenge.  The stl is a static statue of Hikaru I got online but I split it and re worked the mesh at all the joints in an attempt for poseability.  

Hikaru stands at 8.9cm which is 1/20 of his canon 178cm hight.

The hinge joints in the knees could work but be brittle.  The elbow hinge joint is extremely small.   Need to try a different approach.  

I have a small pin in the hand to attach to the forearm.  It rotates ok.  May upsize the hand a bit for strength.

One of the photos has the pilot being held in my VF-1 hands.  These are the old resin ones I did a while back.  I’m still reworking the forearm mesh to account for the 8ish percent increase I scaled the hands based on the forum’s feedback.

Do you guys have any ideas on the ball joint style that are in the shoulders, hip, neck and ankles?

CDBDABC5-CDB1-49CA-8FD8-BCFEBF875944.jpeg

98F62589-8677-46A6-9920-68E4BAC251AF.jpeg

E3E92CF3-1D23-4512-9509-17E82B36FA3B.jpeg

C9054250-55E2-45BA-BF32-9AD16231C9E3.jpeg

82090FE6-F8D8-414B-9DD8-FB4646BDA2C4.jpeg

FBA88381-3BB4-4720-8AA4-DA00F07B4794.jpeg

For the joints, I'd just buy a set of figma joints or the like and use those.

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/10147/figma+Basic+Joint+Set+Flesh.html or similar, there's some on ebay.

Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PVC-Ball-Joints-Accessaries-for-Figma-GSC-Kaiyodo-Revoltech-Series-Figure-Toys-/323515226616

Edited by Sanity is Optional

That's looking great! I know what I want for Christmas! Even if it's next year. I think you're using an SLA printer, correct? That's a drag with acrylic based printing - brittleness. And it gets worse with age too.

The Hobby Base joints are nice too. I have a few of their sets: - MT

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=hobby+base+ball+joints

@Type R #126 That's cool, thanks for sharing!

@Aztek Those are some small joints! You can try these (below) I have them and they work well, but are limited in how many per package you get. The alternative is the second link, but I think they no longer make them. I have both sets and they work. The MSG set has limited movement and can be loose though. - MT

https://www.hlj.com/ball-joints-ylsppc-tn28

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOTOBUKIYA-M-S-G-Pla-Unit-D-101-BALL-JOINT-S-Detail-Up-Parts-Model-Kit-NEW-Japan-/133227389257

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Joined this site because of this thread alone. Have the three Plamax 1/20 kits and was wishing for a Battloid one. Low and behold Google delivered me here! I was simple thinking about copying parts via molding to build myself one as fixed pose would be okay for my display plan. But sweet Jesus now I need a resin printer in addition to my two fdms.

Edited by Engage

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 9:05 AM, Knight26 said:

When this is completed I would be more than happy to buy the STLs and build my own to match the 1:18 fighters from my books that I am planning to print.

Same, If you are willing to sell the STLs I'd be keen to buy a copy.
You've done all the hard work you deserve to get paid for it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, MechTech said:

That's looking great! I know what I want for Christmas! Even if it's next year. I think you're using an SLA printer, correct? That's a drag with acrylic based printing - brittleness. And it gets worse with age too.

The Hobby Base joints are nice too. I have a few of their sets: - MT

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=hobby+base+ball+joints

I'll have to investigate those sometime for my custom variable mechs...

I step away from this site for a bit of time, and stuff like this happens. 

Awesome work, can5 wait to see it finished.

I have the STL files for a copy of the Revell 1/72 Valk and was plannin* on scaling it up, but as yet the new workshop build is on hold and, although my printer is out, I cant leave it running for days on end with out upsetting the Misses.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Hikuro said:

gonna be honest, with PLAMAX discontinuing their 1/20 scale kits, I'd be very interested in building one of these for myself. 

Has this news been confirmed? I know that it's been a few years since the release of the last 1/20 VF-1 kit (Fighter), but was hoping Max would create the Strike Battroid version to finish off the line. He's been doing those Frontier and Delta 1/20 nose kits lately, which I'm not a fan of, but at least it tells us that he's still making new stuff.

18 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Has this news been confirmed? I know that it's been a few years since the release of the last 1/20 VF-1 kit (Fighter), but was hoping Max would create the Strike Battroid version to finish off the line. He's been doing those Frontier and Delta 1/20 nose kits lately, which I'm not a fan of, but at least it tells us that he's still making new stuff.

I heard that Max Factory was doing a VF-1S battroid, but I didn't hear anything about release dates or anything. I actually just got in one of those VF-25 nose models, I actually kind of like it. It's gonna need love and attention to look cool, but I thought it was nice. It at least has stickers for the shoulder armor on the EX-Gear, so that's not a bad thing at all! 

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, Aztek said:

Minor update.  Kinda :) 

Spent some time working on Hikaru to pilot this beast.  I wanted a fully articulated action figure style pilot I could put in the cockpit or have standing outside.  Trying to engineer the joints on such a small scale with a strong but brittle medium is a challenge.  The stl is a static statue of Hikaru I got online but I split it and re worked the mesh at all the joints in an attempt for poseability.  

Hikaru stands at 8.9cm which is 1/20 of his canon 178cm hight.

The hinge joints in the knees could work but be brittle.  The elbow hinge joint is extremely small.   Need to try a different approach.  

I have a small pin in the hand to attach to the forearm.  It rotates ok.  May upsize the hand a bit for strength.

One of the photos has the pilot being held in my VF-1 hands.  These are the old resin ones I did a while back.  I’m still reworking the forearm mesh to account for the 8ish percent increase I scaled the hands based on the forum’s feedback.

Do you guys have any ideas on the ball joint style that are in the shoulders, hip, neck and ankles?

CDBDABC5-CDB1-49CA-8FD8-BCFEBF875944.jpeg

98F62589-8677-46A6-9920-68E4BAC251AF.jpeg

E3E92CF3-1D23-4512-9509-17E82B36FA3B.jpeg

C9054250-55E2-45BA-BF32-9AD16231C9E3.jpeg

82090FE6-F8D8-414B-9DD8-FB4646BDA2C4.jpeg

FBA88381-3BB4-4720-8AA4-DA00F07B4794.jpeg

Aztek,

Any updates? Your project has always kept me wanted to see you progress and succeed.

Hope all is well.