Promising start.

Kinda tripped me up that Omega's

Spoiler

a female.

Hopefully, she's not some oddball clone of Palpatine or anything and is just aberrant clone of Jango.  Really hope Tech did his homework on that.

Makes sense that one of them would've went Order 66.  But wonder if the plan is to stretch out the deal with Crosshair for the whole season or resolve it sooner rather than later.

Still not feeling Echo's armor, and he still seems redundant with Tech there.  Is he supposed to be the team's defacto droid?

Also, I was hoping the credits would list Dee Bradley Baker's name multiple times instead of the one credit line he got! :lol:

Lastly, I guess Anakin was successful in getting that Padme noseart removed on the Batch's ship. :sad:

EDIT: 

Spoiler

Liked how they did the Palpatine rescue scene from ROTS in the Clone Wars animation style.  Pretty cool quick little nod there.

Edited by Mog

Really enjoyed it, even liked Omega.  The trailers had really turned me off to the character.  I think it will be interesting to see how Filoni handles her,

Spoiler

it seems that she's being set up to be some kind of observational savant, IE she can do anything she sees first. 

If Kathleen Kennedy were behind this I'd be very skeptical, however Filoni has proven that he can make the obnoxious teen character into something interesting and beloved with both Asoka and Ezra, so I'll reserve judgement for now.  Besides my guess may be completely off.

Edited by levzloi

It wasn't bad. Wasn't to thrilled they re-wrote a particular character's back story, but I'll survive that, not the first time this has happened in the SW Universe.

I wonder if Baker is getting a bonus for all those voice overs lol

Watched it last night, wonder who the kid is a clone of, or grows up to be.  Waiting to be mind-blown.

I'm happy that the old voice actors are back too, they deserve more work.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

You mean Caleb? :huh:

There was a comic about him during and after order 66. The Bad Batch episode retcons all of it. It proves a point I've been making ever since Disney threw out the EU and declared everything would be canon. Between the movies, the TV shows, the comics, the novels, etc there's just too many people involved, too many moving parts for it all to work as a single canon narrative. Things are going to get retconned, and the movies and TV shows are always going to take priority over the books and comics when it comes to canon because those reach the most people.

I'm not particularly bothered by the retcon itself, but as a comic artist I am always a bit miffed when comics are treated as throw-away material.

Second episode is already out.

Serviceable ep.

Spoiler

Figured it would be Cut they meet up with.

As a parent, I liked the comment how he’d sometimes rather fight battle droids than deal with the kids.

But at least, he left the Rex nugget for the next side quest.

2 hours ago, Radd said:

There was a comic about him during and after order 66. The Bad Batch episode retcons all of it. It proves a point I've been making ever since Disney threw out the EU and declared everything would be canon. Between the movies, the TV shows, the comics, the novels, etc there's just too many people involved, too many moving parts for it all to work as a single canon narrative. Things are going to get retconned, and the movies and TV shows are always going to take priority over the books and comics when it comes to canon because those reach the most people.

I'm not particularly bothered by the retcon itself, but as a comic artist I am always a bit miffed when comics are treated as throw-away material.

Don't read the books....what were the differences?

5 hours ago, Radd said:

Here's a video that talks about some of the changes.

I can understand why some folks would be miffed or pissed about this retcon.

Instead of happening during a nice quiet moment of rest, Kanan’s Order 66 moment now happens in the middle of a battle (technically, a lull in one, but still).

Just like the majority of the Order 66 scenes we’ve seen already.

I get why they did it here in Bad Batch, but it’s still kind of a bummer.

I’m still attached to a lot of the events that happened at the end of Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars, but it’s kinda hard to tie all that with what’s been shown in Filoni’s last eps of Clone Wars.

Wasn’t the first, certainly won’t be the last, and definitely not the worst retcon we’ve seen in Star Wars.

Looks like Star Wars is fully embracing the Shoji Kawamori version of "canon"....

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-lucasfilm-retcon-bad-batch-kanan

Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo recently gave his thoughts on how to view canon, likening it to a "history textbook:"

"If you want, one way to square this circle is the history textbook version of events “persons X and Y where on planet B when A occurred” is the canon; a fictional expression of it is potentially dramatized and embellished for its medium. Your space mileage may vary."

So now we just need to figure out what is the "dramatization"....the movies/animation...the books/comics.....either one at any given time?  :rolleyes:

The quiet moment does sound better and more unique but ultimately no biggie for me.
As for “canon” I have no problem looking at it as the Live action and animation depiction of events are “gospel” and can trump all with live action being top. Comics and novels are canon unless/until one of the visual mediums above decides to depict said event. Honestly, making comics and novels “official” is kind of crazy as they come out so much more frequently and fill SOOO much more time that it leaves next to nothing for movies and shows. That’s why I like the “official until the visual mediums want to tell the story” structure.  If they never do the same story then the book or comic stands. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

15 minutes ago, Mog said:

Just don’t mess with KOTOR too much (the games or the comics).

Lot of good concepts and characters from that time period.

Funny thing is, as big a fan of Star Wars I am, I somehow missed the whole KoTR train.
With my “canon structure” theory, just to be clear, I wasn’t implying  they can’t use what was established in other media.  Just that they don’t HAVE to be beholden to it is all. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Oh, I get it.  They just need to make sure they get the character right (like how they did Thrawn for Rebels).

Of course, I’m also the salty curmudgeon whose “head canon” has Luke winding up with a redhead, there being a Ben SKYWALKER instead of a Ben Solo, and Imperial Knights that go full-on Jamie Lannister on an Emperor who strays too far down the Dark Side. ;):crazy:

3 minutes ago, Mog said:

I’m also the salty curmudgeon whose “head canon” has Luke winding up with a redhead, there being a Ben SKYWALKER instead of a Ben Solo, and Imperial Knights that go full-on Jamie Lannister on an Emperor who strays too far down the Dark Side. 

I have no particular affinity for Ben Skywalker (or any EU Star Wars content, for that matter), but I'm more than happy to erase Ben SOLO and the Sequel Trilogy from my own "head canon" regardless. :p

I'm still surprised by how consistently good Disney's Star Wars TV output has been thus far (Bad Batch included), given how poorly most of their films turned out... :unsure:

Filoni and Favreau “get” Star Wars.

The other two directors of the ST didn’t.

Filoni somehow brilliantly made you appreciate The Phantom Menace for more than just the Maul v Obi and Qui-Gon duel.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

Oh, I get it.  They just need to make sure they get the character right (like how they did Thrawn for Rebels).

Of course, I’m also the salty curmudgeon whose “head canon” has Luke winding up with a redhead, there being a Ben SKYWALKER instead of a Ben Solo, and Imperial Knights that go full-on Jamie Lannister on an Emperor who strays too far down the Dark Side. ;):crazy:

With you there brother :D

Chris

There's an inconsistency with pronunciation that's beginning to bug me.  Despite both hailing from New Zealand, Michelle Ang pronounces her character's name as "Oh-mee-gah," whereas Dee Bradley Baker calls her "Om-egg-ah."  :unknw:

Since their dialogue is presumably recorded separately, the cast is likely unaware of the discrepancy, meaning the voice director's at fault. :unsure:

On 5/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, tekering said:

There's an inconsistency with pronunciation that's beginning to bug me.  Despite both hailing from New Zealand, Michelle Ang pronounces her character's name as "Oh-mee-gah," whereas Dee Bradley Baker calls her "Om-egg-ah."  :unknw:

Since their dialogue is presumably recorded separately, the cast is likely unaware of the discrepancy, meaning the voice director's at fault. :unsure:

Lol, I noticed that too.  I like oh-mee-gah....

On 5/19/2021 at 1:46 AM, tekering said:

Heh, that's interesting as Dee Bradley Baker is voicing animation characters originally played by a live actor (Temuera Morrison) that is from New Zealand.

Well, Omega is a “defective” clone.  Maybe that pronunciation is part of her advantageous genetic mutation.

. . . Or maybe, that’s how Palpatine pronounces Oh-MEE-gah!!!111!!!! :ph34r::shok::ph34r:

:p