The Butterfly Effect

Oihan

I saw it earlier this morning. It is such an awesome movie...probably one of the best I've seen. I'd definitely have to say this one of my favorites. Ashton Kutcher does a great job in this film...pulled it off nicely. The Butterfly Effect is somewhat trippy. I'd go more into detail about the movie...but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I highly recommend this movie...so go see it if you haven't already! I can't wait for it to come out on DVD!

Edited by Oihan

The reports from Sundance are not good...

The film and its star were panned after being screened at the Sundance Festival recently - Variety magazine said it "grows more ridiculous by the quarter-hour" and The Boston Globe said it was "hooted off the screen at Sundance".

Bah...I say Sundance is full of it. From what I've come to find...when people can't grasp something, they get frustrated with it and give up...hating/disliking it. The movie is based off a Theory...they obviously must not be able to grasp the concept of it all...hence thinking the plot "grows more ridiculous by the quarter-hour." I say poo on them. The movie 0wnz. If anything, don't take anyone's word...go see the movie for yourself if it has caught your attention. I just think it's an awesome movie.... I don't think you'll be disappointed....

Edited by Oihan

I still want to see. Its one of the few movies which trailers have really caught my interest. The concept alone is enough to make want to see for myself what its about, though I'll have to wait till its on on DVD or download it since I can't get a movie theater while away at college. No car yet.

I almost laughed when I saw the trailer. It looks like such crap.

Sure, the base concept is sound, but when you think of it so was the concept for Robot Jox or Johnny Mnemonic.

Add in the fact that the scene they keep showing in the trailers of a house exploding and throwing a character back (is it Kelso?) looks like one of the worst special effects of the new millenium.

For those who care, here's The Onion's scathingly hilarious review.

I still want to see. Its one of the few movies which trailers have really caught my interest. The concept alone is enough to make want to see for myself what its about, though I'll have to wait till its on on DVD or download it since I can't get a movie theater while away at college. No car yet.

Dude... where's YOUR car? :huh:

I actually saw it last night (got free tickets) and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The premise is completely ludicrous, but if you're willing to suspend belief for a while, it's an ok movie. The first half of the movie, regarding Kutcher's past, was forgettable. Also, every character was portrayed as an extremist. For example, there's the extremely "bad" guy and an extremely "good" girl. The characters were lacking in depth. I guess I enjoyed it because I've often wondered about alternate realities myself. :)

i'm interested in seeing this 1. the trailers look interesting & i usually don't listen to others when they review a movie. everybody bashed "waterworld" & it's 1 of my favorite movies

Meh. My desire to see this one is dwindling very fast. The trailers were interesting, but so far the reviews (I mean the reliable ones, not the jokey trash-the-movie ones) have been mixed at best. I'll wait for the cheap seats....if one of my friends doesn't download it first.

I'm sorry but I'll NEVER give my $ to an Ashton Kutcher movie......PUNK'D was already bad enough. :blink:

Cameron Crowe kicked him off his new movie because he couldn't act. That's all you gotta know. You might as well go see a Steven Seagal movie.

You'd think that Ashton Kutcher is a poor actor.... But you guys keep referring to the movies he's been where he acts like a complete retard...I'd say he's done a damn good job of pulling that off if that's all you guys can make referrences to. As GreenGury42 said...he is a Chemical Engineer...Biochemical to be exact. He's far from being a retard. I myself was kinda skeptical with him being such a comedian and all when it comes to the film industry...but he really pulled off a serious roll.

Edit: So you guys know, I liked Bad Boyz II, loved ROTK, and hated Bad Santa. Bad Santa has to be the worst comedy I've ever seen...didn't laugh through the entire movie...and I love comedies.... Just thought I'd give you guys an idea to where I stand with movies to give you guys a better perception so to say

Edited by Oihan

Few are going to accept Ashton Kutcher as lead in movie that isn't a comedy. Especially after doing that 70's show, Punk'd, Dude Where's your anus, Just Married. If he wants to be considered a serious actor he should have first tried playing a supporting serious roles first instead of taking the lead.

For about a month the modelling company that "found" Ashton in a bar had their shop in my old office building and I got to talk to them for a bit about him... they told me in no uncertain words that he was your typical goof-off drinking buddy sort of guy. They also said he remembers his friends and those that helped him along the way... he even went so far as to bring my friend Richard's WILDCats Maul doll onto Regis and Cathy Lee (or whoever Regis had as his wench that year) as a joke so Richard could get a video tape of his doll on national TV.

I've never personally met Ashton but I have heard good things about thim none the less. I don't like his acting style or the movies he is in but unlike some other Hollywood ass pilots I will not mention Ashton at least has shown me what sort of person he is in real life.

Few are going to accept Ashton Kutcher as lead in movie that isn't a comedy. Especially after doing that 70's show, Punk'd, Dude Where's your anus, Just Married. If he wants to be considered a serious actor he should have first tried playing a supporting serious roles first instead of taking the lead.

Directors won't take him for serious roles, that's why. He was already kicked off one film, and turned down for another.

Both Sundance and The Onion seem to review movies based on how smart/clever everyone will think their opinions are.

Well, everyone is a critic. And many of us are critics of the critics themselves.

I enjoy The Onion's movie reviews because they're never biased. They don't pander to certain director's simply because they enjoyed several of his/her movies from twenty years ago (Scorcese, anyone?). If there's something wrong with a movie, they'll point it out. But in the end, they'll tell you whether or not (in their opinion) a movie is worth trying out.

Plus, whether they like or dislike a movie, the review is usually pretty funny. More than I can say for Gene Shallit (sp?) or the bickering duo- Ebert and Roper.

Edit: So you guys know, I liked Bad Boyz II, loved ROTK, and hated Bad Santa. Bad Santa has to be the worst comedy I've ever seen...didn't laugh through the entire movie...and I love comedies.... Just thought I'd give you guys an idea to where I stand with movies to give you guys a better perception so to say

So what your saying is that we should use you as a reverse-barometer for movie quality? :p

My Girlfriend asked, is this a teen movie, or a horror movie?

Not a teen movie.... I'd say Scifi being the main genre with horror/suspense being the sub genre? The horror part being the trippy part of the movie....