The 'Hey look at this really cool model build I saw' post

Shawn

I grew up with the Imai 1/72 Variable valks and the Robotech Changers releases (they were cheaper!)

Here is an incredible, lets say 1/20ish version! All 3D printed. With a little modification you could turn this into the HCM like Bandai did ha!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4097191

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe8SMlyTgmfrDt9yrx3_gAg/videos

image.thumb.png.b6cb4b5418894ff19c49abef46257b15.png

image.thumb.png.43b66efad540845266594a85df195395.png

Thanks for posting that, Shawn! I thought it looked at first like the kit - it is -sorta. He done gone and blown it up! Every aspect is like someone  hit the "Extra Large" button on making the kit. The nose is squatty, but other than that - REALLY COOL! - MT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 2:58 AM, electric indigo said:

I love what I'd call "remixes" of the classic designs.

Ek7BmvUU8AIg5hk?format=jpg

Maybe use a different word......"Remix" conjures up images of that horrible abortion of a RT comic, lol!

On 2/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, MechTech said:

Did somebody confuse Mak with Macross?:lol: - MT

Ma.K.ross? 

I'd watch that!

• 2 weeks later...

Only $3,750! What a bargain! Seriously though, it's a really nice build.

I wouldn't pay that but I guess factoring in the time it would take to build that, it comes out to maybe 30 to 40 dollars an hour? That's definitely not a quick, 10-hour build. 

You'll never get rich building model kits for resale. 

Yeh, there was a buttload of time put into that build, I'm sure he'll get a good price for it. I'd never pay that much, but someone out there might. I've only ever done 1 commission conversion/build and I charged $20 an hour because I'm not a professional by any means.  It's amazing how quick the time ads up. You don't realize it when you're building for yourself. 

@Gabe Q They probably buffed the windshield and used a Mop n Glow coating. There's some stuff for motorcycle lights that gives a pearlescent sheen too. I gotta get some of that!

That is a GREAT build! He mottled the heck out of the paint, but it works! It looks VERY sun bleached - like being out in space without cloud cover to shield it!:D

Hey, it's STILL for sale!:lol:- MT

Edited by MechTech

@MechTech I have the polishing compound and the future floor product. It's just that my canopies never come out that good. I guess I'll have to keep practicing!

The decals look painted on. The gun barrels look like polished metal. All the details just look right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the shine on Hikaru's helmet!  That thing must be buried under a thick cost of clear and polished.

I've heard good things about canopies and Future's/Pledge.

Some guys dip the whole canopy into it and it comes out pretty glossy.  I haven't tried it yet, but I have a few old kits I might use as a guinea pig.

3 hours ago, peter said:

Look at the shine on Hikaru's helmet!  That thing must be buried under a thick cost of clear and polished.

I've heard good things about canopies and Future's/Pledge.

Some guys dip the whole canopy into it and it comes out pretty glossy.  I haven't tried it yet, but I have a few old kits I might use as a guinea pig.

Yes, that works well, but requires some planning and patience. Here's one process:

http://www.finescale.com/online-extras/how-to/2017/11/in-the-past-it-was-future