Love the sculpt!!! Always prefered the licencies taken by CM'S over the toynami sculpt. The canopy frame and the canopy are totally wrong on the toynami and the fit and finish are horrendous.

Hope this rendition is an improved CM'S.

Love the sculpt!!! Always prefered the licencies taken by CM'S over the toynami sculpt. The canopy frame and the canopy are totally wrong on the toynami and the fit and finish are horrendous.

Hope this rendition is an improved CM'S.

And locks properly in all modes. Hope ET learned their lesson with their VF-2SS. ;)

It looks sort of "eh" to me. The proportions seem off -- the tail section in fighter mode, i.e., the lower legs and feet/thrusters, look big in comparison to the rest of the fighter. It almost looks like they took the intakes, fuselage, cockpit, and arms from a MPC Alpha and stuck it onto the legs of a Gakken Legioss. And I'm not sure I like the way the transformation for the feet looks like. The heel and the rest of the foot seem to fold into each other.

Thanks for the photo upates, Ignacio. I kinda like what I'm seeing too. Though at this point in time, I'm not sure if I'm going to PO this or wait for reviews first. Knowing the outcome on the previous released VF-2SS, are shops still confident to get stocks from EvoToys?

I like the fact that the guy who sculpted the CM's is behind this. From the soldier/battroid pics we can see the arms and legs have tabs so it should be better locked in fighter mode. I hope the quality does not dissapoint!!

Thanks for the photo upates, Ignacio. I kinda like what I'm seeing too. Though at this point in time, I'm not sure if I'm going to PO this or wait for reviews first. Knowing the outcome on the previous released VF-2SS, are shops still confident to get stocks from EvoToys?

Im with you there. I have no intention of a PO. Im going to wait and see what build quality is like. And im really hoping they do something with the feet in fighter mode. If those 2 issues are tackled i will love to add another alpha to the collection. Im actually rooting for them

Also do note that the chest nozzle is touching the ground even if the landing gears are deployed. As I recall, this is also the case with Toynami/CM's?

Looks like both suffer from that!

Borrowed one of your pics from Google jenius! B))

post-6180-0-11351500-1477880013_thumb.jpg

Man I dunno. I want to like it. Proportions are kind bizarre though. Huge legs & feet, tiny head, etc. Not liking how the head & chest hang in fighter. Also the feet stick out way too far in the rear, as usual.

Is the Legioss just impossible to do right without anime magic?

Man I dunno. I want to like it. Proportions are kind bizarre though. Huge legs & feet, tiny head, etc. Not liking how the head & chest hang in fighter. Also the feet stick out way too far in the rear, as usual.

Is the Legioss just impossible to do right without anime magic?

I thought the Toynami sculpt was fine. It just needed better build quality. Sturdier hands, some ratcheted joints, remove the die-cast from the legs and you'd have a much better toy without changing the sculpt at all.

Just my honest opinion, I fail to see how the toynami version is faithful to the lineart.

I find the toynami sculpt to very inaccurate compared to the lineart, but everybody thinks different so I must be the one who is really wrong. The canopy and canopy frame from the toynami are so different, it's like they belong to another plane not the Legioss.

Seriously, can someone point me where the Evolution Toys sculpt is off?

post-557-0-34549900-1478003778_thumb.jpg

The thing that is throwing it off the most is the angle of the nose but the primary problem is how it all converts to soldier mode. The Toynami is really good in soldier mode, this toy looks pretty terrible in that mode. The head is low, the landing gear too small, and basically it looks like it's trying really hard to compete with a toy from 10 years ago instead of today's toys.

I think it looks pretty cool so far, the sculpt in battroid especially.

Ignacio, from the fighter pics you posted I agree with you that the Evo is looking way closer to the linear although my concern would be the way the head is not recessed into the underside of the nosecone. This was already an issue on the CM's, leaving an ugly lateral gap across the airframe. Hopefully it's just this prototype being mistransformed.

I'm all in anyway, modern Legioss toys are just too rare to pass.

Yes, toynami did a great job recessing the head in fighter mode.

I'm not saying ET's sculpt is perfect but it looks promising. Sometimes I like "some" liberties taken with the design of a particular toy. I like ET's battroid but I know that people don't like the big legs from tje prototype (I fail to see the big feet because toynami's feet are thicker and wider)

Even Toynami had the feet too big but they had the thickness closer. CMS made it into one toe. The other huge problem with CMS was how far the knees came out under the wings. Not sure if ET addressed that. ET is going with too long of a nose in fighter which will drop down the back in soldier.

Edit - this is just based on a couple pics observation. It may handle great and be better when posed differently. So far I'm just skeptical.

Edited by jenius

I see. At this point, I'm really not concern on how it looks, or even if it's lineart or anime accurate. As long that it's made well, not looking cheap, and everything locks in place in each mode, then I'll be all over it. I might consider completing the other color variants. But knowing that it's Evolution Toys, same as everyone, I'm really really skeptical about it.

Agreed, the kneecaps in fighter mode are the prime eyesore. I'm not too worried about that problem with this one though, seems like the kneecaps are hinged so it is probably going to be just like the MPC. Let's hope it can retain the build quality of the CM's.

Gone are the backward clicky knee joints too, the legs are probably extending out for soldier mode like the MPC but maybe they've done something different. I don't really understand why there is an additional thigh segment. It's also in the lineart but maybe it's also part of the transformation?

I just wish they'd implement a ball jointed hip this time, it seems so simple and it would make a big difference for posing compared to any previous version.

The thing that is throwing it off the most is the angle of the nose but the primary problem is how it all converts to soldier mode. The Toynami is really good in soldier mode, this toy looks pretty terrible in that mode. The head is low, the landing gear too small, and basically it looks like it's trying really hard to compete with a toy from 10 years ago instead of today's toys.

That's Evolution for you. As much as I love the VF-2ss design I couldn't talk myself into getting one. It was a bad toy from the prototype stage and it showed. Of all toys, all the past Legiosses taught me not to pay too much attention to the sculpt, because a good toy is all about design (sturdiness, choice of materials, transformation, tolerances, etc) and design wise this guy doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table (i.e. the tail fins doesn't seem to have a locking mechanism like the MPC and CM's). Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to ditch all my Toynamis and replace them for a good Legioss line and I REALLY hope this is it, but as it stands I think I'll wait for the reviews too.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy