On 10/7/2020 at 1:43 AM, roboemo said:

Yes, that one.

anything new added to it?

My copy rolled in a few moments ago, so I will review it shortly and post a review/comparison for you. :) 

On 10/7/2020 at 1:43 AM, roboemo said:

Yes, that one.

anything new added to it?

Hm...

Entertainment Archive Alpha: Genesis Climber MOSPEADA File is a bigger book than the previous MOSPEADA: Complete Art Works book.  I think it's one standard paper size bigger in terms of what it was printed on.  The first forty or so actual pages of the book - discounting the introduction and table of contents - are color pages devoted to MOSPEADA's toys and model kits.  There's a ~11 page article on Genesis Breaker with the same art we've seen in various promotional materials elsewhere.  That's followed by the color art pages for all of the show's mecha lineart, and the print quality is NOTICEABLY inferior to the MOSPEADA: Complete Art Works book.  I'm baffled as to why the color art is all noticeably yellow-tinged.  It's not yellowing of the original art, which would be uneven, they're like tinted yellow for some reason.  There's a little more text on them in MOSPEADA File but art itself is printed at just about the same size as in the Complete Art Works book.  The line art section has the same weird yellowing problem on its color sections, and the art is printed slightly smaller than it'd been previously in Complete Art Works (apparently to fit eight model sheets onto a page?).  Some of the black and white lineart looks inexplicably dirtier in this new book too, and the art shows signs of someone inexpertly photoshopping inventory numbers and other markings off the art that were present in the previous book.  Some of the art is helpfully printed in larger sizes than the Complete Art Works book, which makes reading the text handwritten on it easier, but the actual print quality still feels inferior with the uncleaned black specks on many of the pieces.  The one advantage MOSPEADA File has is that a lot of art that was previously printed at index card size or smaller in the episode-specific section of Complete Art Works is reprinted larger in this book like Rainy Boy's bike and those of the various motorcycle gangs.  The stats are unhelpfully scattered around the sections, mixed with the various normal commentary instead of being called out in specific blocks for easy reference.  At the very end it has slightly more preproduction material than Complete Art Works did, but it's nothing new if you've seen the Imai Files.

All told, I would say Complete Art Works is probably the better reference book and better quality book overall... but the MOSPEADA File book does have size going for it in terms of the readability of its line art.  It's somewhat perplexing that the character bios got left out entirely though.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hm...

Entertainment Archive Alpha: Genesis Climber MOSPEADA File is a bigger book than the previous MOSPEADA: Complete Art Works book.  I think it's one standard paper size bigger in terms of what it was printed on.  The first forty or so actual pages of the book - discounting the introduction and table of contents - are color pages devoted to MOSPEADA's toys and model kits.  There's a ~11 page article on Genesis Breaker with the same art we've seen in various promotional materials elsewhere.  That's followed by the color art pages for all of the show's mecha lineart, and the print quality is NOTICEABLY inferior to the MOSPEADA: Complete Art Works book.  I'm baffled as to why the color art is all noticeably yellow-tinged.  It's not yellowing of the original art, which would be uneven, they're like tinted yellow for some reason.  There's a little more text on them in MOSPEADA File but art itself is printed at just about the same size as in the Complete Art Works book.  The line art section has the same weird yellowing problem on its color sections, and the art is printed slightly smaller than it'd been previously in Complete Art Works (apparently to fit eight model sheets onto a page?).  Some of the black and white lineart looks inexplicably dirtier in this new book too, and the art shows signs of someone inexpertly photoshopping inventory numbers and other markings off the art that were present in the previous book.  Some of the art is helpfully printed in larger sizes than the Complete Art Works book, which makes reading the text handwritten on it easier, but the actual print quality still feels inferior with the uncleaned black specks on many of the pieces.  The one advantage MOSPEADA File has is that a lot of art that was previously printed at index card size or smaller in the episode-specific section of Complete Art Works is reprinted larger in this book like Rainy Boy's bike and those of the various motorcycle gangs.  The stats are unhelpfully scattered around the sections, mixed with the various normal commentary instead of being called out in specific blocks for easy reference.  At the very end it has slightly more preproduction material than Complete Art Works did, but it's nothing new if you've seen the Imai Files.

All told, I would say Complete Art Works is probably the better reference book and better quality book overall... but the MOSPEADA File book does have size going for it in terms of the readability of its line art.  It's somewhat perplexing that the character bios got left out entirely though.

Thanks.

To be honest, Complete Art Works seems to be out of print.

Edited by roboemo

17 minutes ago, roboemo said:

To be honest, Complete Art Works seems to be out of print.

It'll pop up on Mandarake and other reseller sites from time to time at a reasonable price... just don't humor that insane eBay seller who wants almost three hundred dollars for it.

Thanks Seto Kaiba for your review.

About art quality, it makes me feel sources and materials they had access to were pretty bad... and we can add a bad use of  image processing software...

So more i see this mook, more this idea appears : print my own personal artbook, with good sources, good materials, like a doujin...

But it's just a wish...

1 hour ago, akim said:

and we can add a bad use of  image processing software...

It may not actually be bad software per se, it may just be that the have a monitor improperly setup, and they colour corrected the images to what their monitor shows, not what the artwork actually looks like when printed.  (The opposite extreme is their scanner "colour corrected" the images, and no one bothered to colour correct the scans.)

Another possibility is the printers getting the ink mixture wrong (or the ink balance was slipping in the part of the batch you guys got).

So many simple things can muck up graphic design and printing.

10 hours ago, sketchley said:

So many simple things can muck up graphic design and printing.

True, but regardless of which one (or combination thereof) was responsible, it's still weird and slightly upsetting that nobody seems to have reviewed a proof copy of this book before it went to market... the yellowness of the color art isn't subtle.  It's eye-catching and looks really really bad.

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

Tell that to the rap industry.

Also, it's not.

https://onlineartrights.org/issues/sampling-and-appropriation/

I would disagree. That was not sampling, that was appropriation of an entire work, nothing transformative about it, full appropriation and misrepresentation. I have literally pursued near-identical cases for clients...

... but I don't want to get into a rant. Not the right thread for it.

9 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I would disagree. That was not sampling, that was appropriation of an entire work, nothing transformative about it, full appropriation and misrepresentation. I have literally pursued near-identical cases for clients...

... but I don't want to get into a rant. Not the right thread for it.

Word games.

Edited by sqidd

13 hours ago, tekering said:

No, the Sentinel can pull off that pose no problem...

13 hours ago, jenius said:

Still looks awkward to me...

Combine Jenius's right arm pose and Tekering's left arm pose and it might look pretty good.

(Right/left of the Armo Soldier, not the viewer).

36 minutes ago, jenius said:

Stick to the thread topic... See what I did there... Stick. That's word games.

Should that be STICK or STIG? :spiteful: 

It's a good thing the MW boards are not ruled by a merciless REY, because we'd all be FUKE'd, issued YELLOW card warnings, and would probably have to pay a huge MINT of a fine.

46 minutes ago, Mog said:

Should that be STICK or STIG? :spiteful: 

It's a good thing the MW boards are not ruled by a merciless REY, because we'd all be FUKE'd, issued YELLOW card warnings, and would probably have to pay a huge MINT of a fine.

That would blow in a most superior way.

20 minutes ago, Glasswave said:

Are there any Legioss models that have intakes that might even approximately fit the CM's Legioss ?

The Aoshima 1:48 variable Legioss kits are about the same size as the CMs, the Toynami, and the Sentinel.  They are cheap and plentiful.

I imagine upgrading your CMs toy would require far more than just the intakes, however...  <_<

6 hours ago, tekering said:

The Aoshima 1:48 variable Legioss kits are about the same size as the CMs, the Toynami, and the Sentinel.  They are cheap and plentiful.

I imagine upgrading your CMs toy would require far more than just the intakes, however...  <_<

Many thanks I'll definitely invest in one!

And lol indeed, they have several shortcomings; but the intakes are my only unforgivable "gripe".

Thanks again man! 

The CM's is the one I think I have. Didn't they offer up a set of new, better intakes? I failed to purchase those.

Has anyone done a 3D printer version?

Also. that got me thinking. The Aoshima/Toynami (they are same/similar no?) Tread.. One of you guys has made an adaptor for putting that Tread on the Sentinel Legioss. Any plans for an adaptor from Sentinel to CMs tread?  I only have the CMs but it looks close enough to try.

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/auction/yahoo/input/n403509543/lgk-link_search

CM's Legioss & Tread combo with Special Upgrade Parts

Just saying

How good IS the CMS? My experience with their products is so hit/miss and generally dated but I'd like to start adding more Legioss variants at very least.