1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

@jenius the darker colors on that one, is that the Toynami MPC Alpha/Beta?

They're so tempting, but now that Sentinel has shown their Legioss prototype I'm trying to hold off...

Yeah I agree. That darker green looks fantastic!

Chris

I always liked the Toynami color myself. Looked more military-ish. I was just looking at my Toynami Alpha's and Beta's in the case the other day thinking I need to get them out and swoosh them around. Maybe transform the Beta's. To scared to do the Alpha's...<_<

You definitely should be too scared to transform the Alpha. I've obviously been handling my Mospeada toys a lot lately and the MPC Alphas are falling apart in a BIG way. Ones that historically seemed to be the 'good' ones have started crumbling. This break is worst:
Toynami-Masterpiece-Alpha-6I-10-4K.jpg

I suspect the Aoshima chest isn't as prone to this breakage since they did something different with the chest intakes... since I haven't had an Aoshima chest break on me I haven't had one apart to take a look.  I think of the 8 MPC Alphas I've handled lately, at least 3 of them have either broken in the chest in the years since I played with them last or broke during my transformations recently. Once that part is broken it's a fighter mode only toy short of doing some very invasive repairs. I also experienced a crumbling hip joint (that gray plastic) recently. Basically... leave 'em fighter mode... Even then, my Scott had the toe fall off when I was handling fighter mode :D

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

You definitely should be too scared to transform the Alpha. I've obviously been handling my Mospeada toys a lot lately and the MPC Alphas are falling apart in a BIG way. Ones that historically seemed to be the 'good' ones have started crumbling. This break is worst:

I went to transform my MegaHouse Ley Ride Armor from armor mode to bike mode recently (displaying it next to the Sentinel Ray one in bike mode) and it friggin fell apart on me.  The figure itself broke right at the waist, just fell right off.  one of the front forks broke off too when i was attaching the wheel to it.  Really pissed me off, BUT made me happy to have the Sentinel version now.

Man. That is some catastrophic breakage @jenius - if it has happened with age it could mean any eBay Toynami ones are disasters in the making. 

I really wanted Maia’s when it was released initially, held off, then missed the reissue - kind of glad I did now. Might have just been trading one set of problems for another.

I have this sort of general aversion to Toynami, and every time I’m tempted I hear about something like this that reminds me their stuff always seems priced about 3x too high for me to consider it worth the potential QC issues. 

The Aoshima dark Legioss is still looking pretty good though...

6 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

The Aoshima dark Legioss is still looking pretty good though...

You mean CMs Dark Legioss? Aoshima never made one. The Toynami Maia is basically an Aoshima toy... it features all the 'upgrades' Aoshima made so it might actually have a safe chest.

Edited by jenius

3 hours ago, jenius said:

Toynami-Masterpiece-Alpha-6I-10-4K.jpg

I suspect the Aoshima chest isn't as prone to this breakage since they did something different with the chest intakes... since I haven't had an Aoshima chest break on me I haven't had one apart to take a look.  I think of the 8 MPC Alphas I've handled lately, at least 3 of them have either broken in the chest in the years since I played with them last or broke during my transformations recently. Once that part is broken it's a fighter mode only toy short of doing some very invasive repairs. I also experienced a crumbling hip joint (that gray plastic) recently. Basically... leave 'em fighter mode... Even then, my Scott had the toe fall off when I was handling fighter mode :D

My red Toynami MPC Alpha broke there, but I used superglue and it's holding together just fine

@jenius ah I didn’t realize they’d used all of the updates Aoshima made. Maybe I’ll keep watching for a deal on it anyways... I do like the purple. 

Though i I could have sworn Aoshima also did a dark Legioss, I see now that was not the case. Maybe I was thinking of CMs. 

Edited by jeniusornome

I used to use CM the dark legioss and the pilotless with the Aoshimas to represent an updated design for the 3rd invasion fleet. The CM was so versatile. I hope Sentinels Legioss will live up to it.

post-12515-0-83639700-1328729139.jpg

4430115634_c246bc1bdb_b.jpg

post-12515-128697341348_thumb.jpg

post-12515-128697342598.jpg

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

14 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

I had to go check on anymoon, there was this picture in my head and I kept thinking it was Toynami

Toynami did release a Dark Legioss... or rather, a "Shadow Alpha."

Shadow-Alpha-Line-Art-1.jpg

Despite the shoulders, it was a lot more accurate than the awkwardly-proportioned CMs.

15 hours ago, easnoddy said:

The CMS dark Legioss are the best of that line. Much stiffer joints. I like them. They're better than the ET legioss.

Better accuracy?  No.  Better proportions?  No.  

Better build quality?  Most definitely.  <_<

Man. I meant Aoshima! I’m so confused. There’s.... four different companies done Legioss so far, five of you count the originals, and now Sentinel is adding to the pile. Hopefully theirs will be amazing. 

Compared to Macross stuff where it’s just Bandai and Arcadia to keep track of, and that still gets confusing sometimes. 

I've never seen you so careful with a toy in a review ever.  That said a lot.

I'm still undecided on picking up one of Sentinel's upcoming new version.  It promises to be the best but I'm expecting the price will be north of 30,000 yen.

One thing I hope we get out of any upcoming new Mospeada content is perhaps more backstory on why the Legioss, Tread, and ride armors exist.  AFAIK, there has only been a few mentions in interviews about the worlds of Mospeada before the Inbit - that being that there were human colonies on Jupiter and Mars that had engaged in warfare against each other just prior to the arrival of the Inbit.

Growing up in the mid-80's I of course never knew that existed, if Kay-Bee or Toys R Us didn't have it, you were just SOL.  I have all 3 of the Legioss' still to this day, I always thought they were hideous even back then, but hey they were cheap and Mom and Dad got them for me to tide me over until I could get them to spring for the big Gakken's.   I used my Transformers original Topspin as my Robotech Beta back then...in my mind's eye it was the closest thing I had that came close..LOL. 

Edited by derex3592

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Growing up in the mid-80's I of course never knew that existed, if Kay-Bee or Toys R Us didn't have it, you were just SOL.  I have all 3 of the Legioss' still to this day, I always thought they were hideous even back then, but hey they were cheap and Mom and Dad got them for me to tide me over until I could get them to spring for the big Gakken's.   I used my Transformers original Topspin as my Robotech Beta back then...in my mind's eye it was the closest thing I had that came close..LOL. 

I didn't get my first Gakken Cyclone until I was well into my 30's. I loved Robotech as a kid but didn't have the luxuries. I "created" a Cyclone with whatever handful of toys I already had. I wish I still had the same imagination I once had as a kid. 

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I don't remember seeing that Beta toy either. Although I don't know if I would have purchased it as I wasn't the biggest fan of that ship or design. But I was lucky when I found the Cyclone along with mini veritechs back then. I was searching for the toy store where I purchased them. I kind of put it off for a while but I was close as I found a few old mall sites. But I don't think the store was a Kay Bee. As this was a smaller store with more odd toys. It wasn't designed like a Kay Bee which I think all had the same design. And I know it wasn't a Toys R Us or Circus World as those were big stores. And I'm pretty sure I purchased my Southern Cross toys back then at a Circus World.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:35 AM, Mog said:

My guess is the side mirrors/handlebar guards rotate up and become part of her shoulder armor.

The bar end mirrors (if that's what they're supposed to be) probably fold into the hand guards.

The hand guards themselves may pull forward a bit and tuck in flush with the front fairing and not be used as should armor at all.

2 hours ago, bluemax151 said:

The bar end mirrors (if that's what they're supposed to be) probably fold into the hand guards.

The hand guards themselves may pull forward a bit and tuck in flush with the front fairing and not be used as should armor at all.

Occam’s razor.

The original anime never had the hand guards/side mirrors.

For the male ride armors, those parts make up the shoulder armor.

If they don’t become part of the shoulder armor in the Bartley, then why even add them in the first place?

Instead of having Houquet sporting massive wide shoulder pads, I suspect this is Sentinel’s way of balancing out the look of the shoulders in the combined mode.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, tekering said:

You mean Robotech toys.  Southern Cross toys don't exist, and never did.  :(

You know it's strange. As a kid, I just saw that old hovertank toy and just labeled it a Southern Cross toy. I don't think I noticed the branding on the box back then. But I know I got that at a Circus World. It was always about the toy unless something was off like that Transformers Jetfire that looked like a veritech but wasn't.

But with the Cyclone and mini veritech with the rotating heat shields. I know I got them at a smaller mall toy store that perhaps sold some imports as well. Because I know I had Scott's big Cyclone, the Gakken I believe. But also the small ones for Rook and Lancer. And I don't believe those were United States domestic releases. At least I don't remember the boxes saying Robotech. I checked Anymoon and he says there was a Robotech release. This is the small version I'm talking about, I think I posted about it before.

Gakken-Mid-RA-8.jpg

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=1424

I can't remember where I purchased the Gakken Alpha Fighter. I would bet it was that same mall store where I purchased the Cyclones. I guess I have more of a memory of the Cyclones and veritechs because I was surprised to see them. They were at the front of the store on the right as soon as you walked in and I think it was near Christmas time and snowing. The store had aisles but the Cyclones were on tables across from the register.

Another Head swap in the helmet for Four characters instead of doubles. 

Not sure if redying the cloth uniform as I did with the last custom one. 

Also getting the Armoury Ready too.

Still need to build Moscato Rocket Launcher to add to Plastic Cretins along with old model kits weapons too.

Blowsperior gets a Warm Welcome once he is released (anytime soon I hope).

IMG_20190811_151103_601.jpg

IMG_20190811_151103_602.jpg

20190811_144446.jpg

Now seems to be a great time to collect Mospeda . In the 80's , down in So Cal where i grew up, Gemco and one other store i cant remember for the life of me, had Henshin Robo and Takatoku VF's. And the swap meets had everything. I had several of the small and large cyclones and all 3 of the Alphas..Dont have any now:mellow: definitely eye balling them now..