Yeah, with all the customs I’ve done on 3.75” scale figures, I just have more experiences and am more comfortable brush painting by hand.

The Bartley’s parts are too small for me to spray paint using a can.  

And I have zero experience (or tools) to airbrush.

So by default, I have to go with brush painting.

Edited by Mog

On 4/30/2022 at 8:23 AM, Big s said:

How’s it look with the extra gear on? 

It looks well enough, though we’ll see how much paint chipping happened when I put it back into bike mode:

B802A268-9DBE-4BFA-9A61-6416CAA9920F.jpeg.7019f6411b327be476c28dfdbd2a731a.jpeg

Wonder what I was trying to mimic? :rolleyes:

6356ACB4-2E64-45CE-86E6-221F7C757852.jpeg.6dc3ae6756d7eb7e5b0b981611a4718e.jpeg

Like I said before:  there’s a lot of things to like about the design.  Along with the thrusters, they even added little brakes to the wheels.  It’s just frustrating that Sentinel dropped the ball by opting to go with pink.

After leaving them on display for years, I actually messed with all four Ride Armors again, changing them to bike mode and armor mode.  

It’s crazy how they pulled off the design, but I forgot how many little parts and greeblies love to pop off on these figures and bikes. :wacko:  Can make for an annoying experience.

In any case, more pics.

Visors up shot:

83596EDD-C1A5-444C-BF84-B5962E627202.jpeg.251b624d7782e51c4268fb64aefbbcfa.jpeg

All armor mode shot:

2D537714-4ADA-485E-9310-B2E55F8D7B2F.jpeg.9dca01a8d5af335d1b6329ec8febee71.jpeg

From Twitter. According to the OP, he didn't apply any force and it just snapped. He said it felt like some molding defect.

So it looks like Sentinel really neglected that swivel bar. 4 models in, it's still the same issue.

image.jpeg.aff8542703d9821668e5dcb390ad874b.jpeg

Yeah, I’ve been handling that joint with extra care, but thankfully haven’t had any issue with any of them (including Yellow’s, Rey’s, and Stick’s rides).

If anything, it’s the swivel joint above it that gives me more issues with one or two of the ride armors.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

From Twitter. According to the OP, he didn't apply any force and it just snapped. He said it felt like some molding defect.

So it looks like Sentinel really neglected that swivel bar. 4 models in, it's still the same issue.

That is really a bummer. Out of eight ride armors (two of each) I have had only one breakage (Yellows left mirror peg) thankfully it's not too bad and i can still transform into both modes easily (but I dont, hence two of each).

This toy is really something special. Fantastic design and execution although it's their interpretation and not 100% cartoon accurate).

1.jpg.5debd3b9d2438ee2bdf718ff38bfca31.jpg1327366082_2(1).jpg.7de1cabe9f06a318a78389ca444183e1.jpg3.jpg.ab2e34d496a1890275fc7cce566559d6.jpg4.jpg.a61e046faaa0a5951020158704cf5c12.jpg

Edited by RED WOLF

26 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

That is really a bummer. Out of eight ride armors (two of each) I have had only one breakage (Yellows left mirror peg) thankfully it's not too bad and i can still transform into both modes easily (but I dont, hence two of each).

This toy is really something special. Fantastic design and execution although it's their interpretation and not 100% cartoon accurate).

1.jpg.5debd3b9d2438ee2bdf718ff38bfca31.jpg1327366082_2(1).jpg.7de1cabe9f06a318a78389ca444183e1.jpg

Nice display. :good: 

Just so you know that Yellow and Houquet's are mostly Sentinel's interpretation based on Aramaki's Ley and Stick's 'reimagined' design from the Mospeada Complete Art Works book.

13 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

This toy is really something special. Fantastic design and execution......

As an engineer I have to completely disagree with this statement.

The design/execution is not good at all (design includes materials choice). At best it's a 4/10. Any product that has frequent breakages, things popping off and or transforming toy that is very, very fragile is a design failure.

It's not that they were unable to design something that doesn't break, have parts pop off, etc. The technology and materials are there to do it. They chose to say "That's good enough" and sent it on its way. That is a failure in design and the desire for customer satisfaction. 

And they are grossly over priced (they retail for Bandai DX VF-1 money).

If any of us bought a house, car, appliance, bicycle, etc, etc designed and built to the same standards we would call it a pile of crap and return it.

What they have going for them is that they look neat and someone put out almost the whole line of Cyclone's. That's it. If that's enough for everyone, great. I'm happy you're happy.:good: I on the other hand couldn't stomach what you get for your money.

Edited by sqidd

32 minutes ago, sqidd said:

finally someone put out the whole line

Except its not the whole line as they have not done a single Inbit. Even if you just mean cyclones its not complete as there is still Sue Graham

Shinobu Takeuchi.

Edited by Podtastic

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Except its not the whole line as they have not done a single Inbit. Even if you just mean cyclones its not complete as there is still Sue Graham

Shinobu Takeuchi.

Edited for accuracy. :hi:

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

could someone not remake/mould/machine this part out of metal?

Yeah, it’s an annoyance when things pop off on the Sentinel Mospeada toys (and I won’t discount the folks who’ve had that troubled joint crack on the Ride Armors).

BUT if something pops off, you freak out, get annoyed, and then you just stick it back into place and go on with life.

When something on the Toynami Alpha or the CM’s Ride Armor breaks, it’s just flat out broken.  Maybe superglue can salvage it.  But it’s always gonna be damaged from that point on.

To use an analogy:  if we’re handling the Sentinel stuff with kid gloves, then we’re having to handle these toys I referenced like ultra fragile museum pieces that will crumble at the slightest errant breeze.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

As an engineer I have to completely disagree with this statement.

The design/execution is not good at all (design includes materials choice). At best it's a 4/10. Any product that has frequent breakages, things popping off and or transforming toy that is very, very fragile is a design failure.

It's not that they were unable to design something that doesn't break, have parts pop off, etc. The technology and materials are there to do it. They chose to say "That's good enough" and sent it on its way. That is a failure in design and the desire for customer satisfaction. 

And they are grossly over priced (they retail for Bandai DX VF-1 money).

If any of us bought a house, car, appliance, bicycle, etc, etc designed and built to the same standards we would call it a pile of crap and return it.

What they have going for them is that they look neat and someone put out almost the whole line of Cyclone's. That's it. If that's enough for everyone, great. I'm happy you're happy.:good: I on the other hand couldn't stomach what you get for your money.

I appreciate your opinion. 

Considering all of the R&D Sentinel had to do not to mention two out of the four releases were during a pandemic (prices remained the same) I would say what Sentinel is pricing their toys at are very fair if not a steal (not to mention you get diecast parts along with very nice paint.).

Could anything be better? Of course they can, but at what cost?

If you or any other company could make me something better than what Sentinel produced for $160 shipped to my door, please let me know I'll buy a few sets.  ;)

Edited by RED WOLF

I agree on the pricing. It's hard to argue it's a bargain but it certainly seems like a more complicated design than the DX VF-1 so the fact they're ballpark similar pricing while Sentinel is a much smaller company producing much fewer units, it seems like it's at least a 'fair' price. I guess the argument could be made that they should have made more parts out of metal and stepped up the price a little for a better experience but anyone involved in manufacture has to look at each part and figure out 'good enough' to make it do what its supposed to without being more expensive than it needs to be. In this case, there were a couple parts that may have been misjudged and/or a couple parts that are more prone to manufacturing issues. My Yellow broke similarly and just like this user... it never felt right so I think that part has QC issues on top of being subjected to a lot of force.

I honestly just pop the arm armors off at the struts/shock absorbers.

Not sure if it relieves some of the stress on that joint, but it does make it easier to transform between bike and armor when they're out of the way.

AND frees up the posing options for armor mode.

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Whatever happened to the old adage, "quality costs nothing"?

If you make toys that break easily, people will eventually stop buying them.

Whatever happened to the old adage, "be grateful for what you have"?

If you feel Sentinel or any other company is not offering you a quality product for your dollar then simply do not buy their products.

Not sure why anyone that does not like the product that is being offered would hang around in a forum dedicated to that product (there are quite a few in here)?

Eh, even with something as niche as Mospeada, we each have our own likes and wants.

Some of us really want Inbit figures; others don’t have much of an interest.

Some of us prefer the Ride Armors the most;  some of us value the Tread the most.

Can’t expect everyone to have the same opinion.

Hell, I collect Star Wars figures.  But I don’t care for Hasbro’s 6 inch scale or their retro collection.  If I like something in my preferred scale, great.  I’ll point it out.

But I’m also not afraid to call Hasbro out for all their various crappy choices or decisions (hard to find exclusives, piss poor distribution for OVER A DECADE, odd delays with Hasbro Pulse orders while other retailers already have the figure in stock).

3 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

If you feel Sentinel or any other company is not offering you a quality product for your dollar then simply do not buy their products.

Not sure why anyone that does not like the product that is being offered would hang around in a forum dedicated to that product (there are quite a few in here)?

It's an internet forum for mecha anime fans, of course we're going to critique mecha toys.

I'd like to point out the absolute hypocrisy of your take, too. If you don't like critical comments, you don't have to read them. And if you don't like hearing the opinions of mecha toy fans, you don't have to hang out here.

32 minutes ago, danth said:

It's an internet forum for mecha anime fans, of course we're going to critique mecha toys.

I'd like to point out the absolute hypocrisy of your take, too. If you don't like critical comments, you don't have to read them. And if you don't like hearing the opinions of mecha toy fans, you don't have to hang out here.

Where did I say I don't like critical comments or hearing others opinions? Exactly I didn't. I actually said the complete opposite by thanking Squid for giving his opinion (scroll up).

Therefore there is no "absolute hypocrisy".

There are quite a few people on this forum and others that hang out and bash the IP talked about for various reasons.

I WILL hangout wherever I choose to 😃

If you want to further discuss this please DM, I dont want to derail this thread of Mospeada any further.

Thank you!

Edited by RED WOLF

20 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Where did I say I don't like critical comments or hearing others opinions?

Any time someone says "if you don't like it don't buy it", it means shut up and don't complain. Always has, always will. You can pretend that's not what it means, but we all know what it means.

Or did you really think we are so dumb that we didn't realize that not buying something was an option? 🤣

And it's funny how literally one sentence later you say this:

20 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

There are quite a few people on this forum and others that hang out and bash the IP talked about for various reasons.

Thus admitting that your problem is with hearing critical opinions.

Anyway, try sharing what you like about the toy instead of shutting down criticism. I guarantee you it's more fun and effective.

Edited by danth