15 hours ago, sqidd said:

Is a Shock Trooper and a Graub the same thing?

Yeah, my RT is sowing though.:lol:

Ha, don't worry- it's why I tend to put both names up. This is even more so to help out the 1E Palladium Robotech folks because they totally got some of the original names wrong (like the Malar being called the enforcer instead of the Gamo). at least they fixed that in the 2E version, but you'll still find pockets of people with the wrong names due to the 1E game. So it reduces confusion to pop up both correct names.

1 hour ago, vladykins said:

they totally got some of the original names wrong

Speaking of getting names wrong:

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Ligaa = Scout

I don't know if the role-playing games can be blamed for this one, but the error is a simple one; in Japanese, the elongated イー sound gets Romanized as "ii" (which is not a spelling pattern native to English), and since it's common for proper nouns to be capitalized in English, the "Iigaa" spelling is often misconstrued as representing a lower-case "L" instead of the upper-case "I".  In Japanese, it's pronounced "Eager," and that's the preferred English spelling (if only to avoid confusion).

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Gurab = Shock Trooper

This one gets all sorts of spellings (in this thread alone, it's spelled "Grab," "Grub," "Graub," and "Gurab"), and while each is a valid Romanization of グラブ, I think "Grub" is what the Japanese clearly intended, given all the insect analogies used to describe the Invid in Japanese publications (and even their Mospeada Wikipedia page).

7 minutes ago, tekering said:

Speaking of getting names wrong:

LOL- the funny thing is the Palladium 1E game got the *Robotech* names wrong. I don't expect them to come close on the Japanese Mospeada names when they can't even get the RT ones right.

8 hours ago, edstuff said:

Do we know what the final date of the pre-order is for the big one? 

July 28 is the current deadline.

Not sure if the "backers" graphic changes dynamically with each order, but it doesn't seem to have moved since I ordered the other day.

2 minutes ago, vladykins said:

July 28 is the current deadline.

Not sure if the "backers" graphic changes dynamically with each order, but it doesn't seem to have moved since I ordered the other day.

Cool. I'm debating getting this or the smaller version. I don't really collect mospeada any more but at the larger scale could make a cool standalone piece

22 hours ago, tekering said:

Grub" is what the Japanese clearly intended

That may be, but "Gurab" is just cooler.

29 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I also noticed that. Be nice if there was a "we are here" percentage tag on the bar.

I really hope all those people asking for the large size dont fade when it comes to putting up money.

25 minutes ago, edstuff said:

I don't really collect mospeada any more but at the larger scale could make a cool standalone piece

The larger is the better option I would say.

The larger one will be a limited run but the small one will probably be available for a while.

And if the large one doesnt meet the minimum order level then the guy has promised to refund.

Edited by Podtastic

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Only if one is speaking the Kansai dialect (where the u vowel is /u/).

In Tokyo, the u is pronounced /ɯ/, which makes "Grab" closer to what's being said by the voice actors, right? ;)

40 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Only if one is speaking the Kansai dialect (where the u vowel is /u/).

In Tokyo, the u is pronounced /ɯ/, which makes "Grab" closer to what's being said by the voice actors, right? ;)

Gurab can be read/imagined in English as an alien designation whereas grub and grab just come across as incredibly unimaginative human descriptions.

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

And equally valid, as I say. :good:

However, while Stig and Houquet are established European names, "Stick" and "Fuke" are merely mistakes born of ignorance.  Those spellings are as unacceptable as "Ligaa." <_<

8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

E94A86B4-2CC5-4C36-B5AA-81BDA71D8BD0.thumb.jpeg.5f89e7775f3bf7880507d6107ebb748f.jpeg

Are ANY current/previous MOSPEADA items in scale with this?

I mean, I'm ok with a manufacturer essentially having a scale all their own and planning on building out a whole like of items to match, but it would sure be nicer to have something at a matching scale for ride armors or other mecha, especially considering the price point.

(To be clear, I don't think the price point is crazy for something that obviously fits our particular niche market, it just feel a bit tough to accept for not having anything else currently on display where these would be sort of filling out that display)

17 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I mean, I'm ok with a manufacturer essentially having a scale all their own and planning on building out a whole like of items to match, but it would sure be nicer to have something at a matching scale for ride armors or other mecha, especially considering the price point.

(To be clear, I don't think the price point is crazy for something that obviously fits our particular niche market, it just feel a bit tough to accept for not having anything else currently on display where these would be sort of filling out that display)

They scale with the Sentinel 1/48 Legioss. Which is pretty small.

They would be HUGE if they scaled with the 1/12 Ride Armors. That would be pretty cool!

44 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

As sqidd says, these 1/48s will scale with the Sentinel legioss and with the older Toynami/Aoshima alpha fighter/legioss, their beta fighter/tread, and the CM's legioss and tread. (The Toynami technically billed itself as 1/55 to match the Masterpiece valkyries but it is definitely closer to 1/48 and not anywhere near 1/55- the Aoshima advertised as 1/48).

If the oversize one is built, depending on whether it is the 167mm or 209mm version that is built, they will be 1/29 or 1/23 scale roughly (assuming a 4.8m height- Mospeada scales are difficult at the best of times). While not to scale, the 209mm won't look terribly out of place with the 1/18 CM's or 1/15 Megahouse ride armors.

Here's the Megahouse with the old Matchbox ones- the 209mm would be about the same size as the old Matchbox Shocktrooper.

No photo description available.

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

They scale with the Sentinel 1/48 Legioss. Which is pretty small.

They would be HUGE if they scaled with the 1/12 Ride Armors. That would be pretty cool!

Thank you. Just looking at the pics that MEP has posted, they looked too small to me to even scale with the Sentinel, since I tend not to trust claimed scales.

Scaling with Sentinel's Legioss works for me.

10 hours ago, vladykins said:

As sqidd says, these 1/48s will scale with the Sentinel legioss and with the older Toynami/Aoshima alpha fighter/legioss, their beta fighter/tread, and the CM's legioss and tread. (The Toynami technically billed itself as 1/55 to match the Masterpiece valkyries but it is definitely closer to 1/48 and not anywhere near 1/55- the Aoshima advertised as 1/48).

If the oversize one is built, depending on whether it is the 167mm or 209mm version that is built, they will be 1/29 or 1/23 scale roughly (assuming a 4.8m height- Mospeada scales are difficult at the best of times). While not to scale, the 209mm won't look terribly out of place with the 1/18 CM's or 1/15 Megahouse ride armors.

Here's the Megahouse with the old Matchbox ones- the 209mm would be about the same size as the old Matchbox Shocktrooper.

No photo description available.

Thank you.

As I mentioned above, I looked at MEP's pic (from IG), and it looked like the Toynami was much bigger to me, so I figured this was only claiming to be 1/48, but really much smaller.

I only have one Megahouse, since I was pretty disappointed by it, but anything to go with my CM's display shelf is definitely very welcome!

At the moment, I keep my CM's ride armors, my Yamato Moto Slaves, and my Matchbox stuff displayed together, since to my eye it all fits... close enough.

1:32 scale?!  That diorama will be over a foot high! :o

Which of course means either

1. it'll be prohibitively expensive, and won't scale with anything else in our extensive Macross or Robotech collections
  2. it will be reasonably-priced (but nowhere near 1:32), and still won't scale with anything else in our extensive Macross or Robotech collections
  3. it won't receive approval from Harmony Gold and/or Big West, and will simply remain among the dozens of other unproduced MEP figures

In other words, don't hold your breath. <_<

On 5/28/2021 at 5:10 PM, Tober said:

Yep, pay up front. Even for the oversized Graub.

There is the option of four payment installments using PayPal. I think it was over two week periods. :unsure:

Hmm  i tried to do the 4 payment thing but i didn't see any way to select that option. It only allows me to pay all upfront.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Hmm  i tried to do the 4 payment thing but i didn't see any way to select that option. It only allows me to pay all upfront.

It was a PayPal option. It could be localised or depend on your account setup... :unsure:

22 hours ago, vladykins said:

if they are planning on more 1/100 scale Zentraedi figures in the future.

The fortunate thing about these being RT toys is that we won't have to worry about them being ludicrously tiny compared to Breetai, as in that supposed official Macross size chart. 

I really hate that chart since I was so used to how they appeared in the show that scenes like that soldier sharing a smoke or max getting a new wardrobe for his Valkyrie just don’t make sense. The chart works great for sizing the mecha with the pilots though, but maybe the alien mecha should have been bigger 

11 hours ago, Big s said:

I really hate that chart since I was so used to how they appeared in the show that scenes like that soldier sharing a smoke or max getting a new wardrobe for his Valkyrie just don’t make sense. The chart works great for sizing the mecha with the pilots though, but maybe the alien mecha should have been bigger 

Let's be fair, there's a LOT of reasons that Max putting a zentradi uniform on his Valk doesn't make sense. Scale's just one of them.