On 4/29/2021 at 5:06 AM, Convectuoso said:

More reference pics:

FB_IMG_1619697564899.thumb.jpg.25e9dad6415646077ed8a3d47851ec88.jpg

FB_IMG_1619697568925.thumb.jpg.91ef0ff6d6cc4aaf092ac71bad376b45.jpg

FB_IMG_1619697969671.thumb.jpg.6ef534133ceb87e82263d4c9e57cb253.jpgFB_IMG_1619697982695.thumb.jpg.dab6297aac62a8582ded9cc4bc347d97.jpg

Oh man, I just dug my matchbox versions out of my kids' toybox thinking they didn't look too bad, and I might even take the time to repaint them, but seeing them next to those newer versions......maybe the old ones aren't so hot afterall, lol!

Has anybody ever gone to the trouble to mod those old ones, like adding ball joints, repaints, adding details to accuratize them?

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I have a custom painted one:

20210506_193511.jpg

20210506_193434.jpg

20210506_193409.jpg

20210506_193344.jpg

20210506_193329.jpg

20210506_193257.jpg

Oh nice!  I like the custom eye sensor! 

I was thinking the same thing, complete repaint, and custom eye sensor.  I think the thing needs new joints too, but that is something that is beyond my skill level.

I never had the old Matchbox ones as a kid (only one I had was Rick Hunter, but I so desperately wanted all of the MOSPEADA/New Gen ones).

I finally picked some up online a couple of years ago and, maybe it's the kid in me finally getting the toys he wanted from decades ago, but I still like having them there in my display cases.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:43 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Random question.  

Did anyone ever translate the Genesis Breaker section in the last MOSPEADA File artbook?  I've been skimming it to answer some questions on another site and was wondering if I'm duplicating effort or not by doing a translation.

(I'm very amused to see that we've all apparently been spelling the aliens name wrong this whole time... oh well.)

Sounds interesting.

Like would it be toy-based lore or a series?

I mean Mospeada is basically ended with Invid retreating and not much story besides side stories.

Maybe fleshing out the universe (like life on Mars Base or female soldiers and pilots*).
*In non-skirt uniform, even 80's had female pilots Emma and Reccoa, just my thing to be honest.

3 hours ago, roboemo said:

Sounds interesting.

Like would it be toy-based lore or a series?

No word on that that I can find... and Tatsunoko Production's page for it has a region-lock that defeated even my main VPN.

3 hours ago, roboemo said:

I mean Mospeada is basically ended with Invid retreating and not much story besides side stories.

Maybe fleshing out the universe (like life on Mars Base or female soldiers and pilots*).
*In non-skirt uniform, even 80's had female pilots Emma and Reccoa, just my thing to be honest.

What I was able to glean from Entertainment Archive Alpha: Genesis Climber MOSPEADA File is:

Spoiler

Genesis Breaker is set up as a side story to Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.  Like the series, it's set in 2083 during the time between the Second and Third Descent Operations. 

The description of the protagonists - the titular Genesis Breakers - is kind of fan fiction-y.  The BREAKERS are a Special Task Force that was secretly established within the Mars Central Government's Intelligence Bureau.  Their original purpose was to suppress dissent and turmoil during the unification of Mars.  Apparently violently, as it's indicated the BREAKERS were issued a License to Kill that was never rescinded.  They apparently don't get on with Mars's regular armed forces, who are noted to be wary of them and shun them.  (Their name is apparently a reference to circuit breakers?)

For my money, the most interesting tidbit is a notation on the origin of the human name for the invading aliens.  When they first invaded Earth they were referred to only as the "Invaders" or "Invader Division".  Once their true nature as a swarm intellect came to light the term "Invader Bit" was coined for them which was abbreviated to "INVIT".  (That's how it's spelled, in English, in the article.)

Anyhoo... in 2083 the BREAKERS are operating on Earth on a mission to study the Invit.  Their home base is a Mars ship named Archelon that's parked in lunar orbit and they made planetfall equipped with the latest Dark Ride Armor being prototyped for the Third Descent Operation forces.  The main character is an (estimated) 19 year old female operative named Gate, codenamed BREAKER-1, a consummate professional operative.

Not much else is said about the setting of Genesis Breaker, the article is mostly a recap of the MOSPEADA setting.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I'm a little lost here. Are any of these Inbit/Invid bad guys that pictures are being posted of ready to go assembled and painted figures? Or are they DIY situations?

Thanks

The MEPTOYS ones are going to be finished products (painted and all). COVID pushed the release of the scout/Iigaa and so apparently MEP is waiting to build and release the ligaa, shocktrooper/gurab, and the hellcat inorganic at the same time.

Cap's stuff is DIY models which look fantastic but beyond my ability to make look that fantastic.  :)

21 hours ago, vladykins said:

The MEPTOYS ones are going to be finished products (painted and all). COVID pushed the release of the scout/Iigaa and so apparently MEP is waiting to build and release the ligaa, shocktrooper/gurab, and the hellcat inorganic at the same time.

Cap's stuff is DIY models which look fantastic but beyond my ability to make look that fantastic.  :)

Thank you sir.:hi:

Am I mis-remembering the show (It's been almost 40yrs since I have seen it). I remember the Shock Troopers being bigger than the Legioss.:unknw: And MEP is saying that they will be smaller than in this pic?

I can't find any art with Google showing how they stack up as far as size goes. Does anyone have something like that? Thanks!

IMG_20210416_001058.jpg

4 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I can't find any art with Google showing how they stack up as far as size goes.

This is what the Tatsunoko line art dictated for mecha scale:

nC8W0NEexaVeBX3wN2Yx2KgEBRBz2OFzB47npJZN

14 minutes ago, tekering said:

This is what the Tatsunoko line art dictated for mecha scale:

nC8W0NEexaVeBX3wN2Yx2KgEBRBz2OFzB47npJZN

Thanks!

I guess I really was mis-remembering. Now that I'm looking at it that makes sense. They were a lot bigger than the Ride Armors. Not the Legioss (which you didn't see a whole lot of in the show.....if I remember correctly).

I'd like to get a couple of these for my Mospeada shelf........to go with my way too small Sentinel Legiosses (did I make that plural correctly?:unknw:).

15 minutes ago, Mog said:

So, one size to scale with most Legiosses and another larger size to scale with the Rider Armors.

I have the Beagel's. That would be one huge Shock Trooper!!!!!:ohmy:

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

They were a lot bigger than the Ride Armors. Not the Legioss (which you didn't see a whole lot of in the show.....if I remember correctly).

You're misremembering again.  Legioss are prominently featured in almost every episode! ^_^

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Legiosses (did I make that plural correctly?:unknw:).

Technically, no.  Being a Japanese proper noun, "Legioss" is uncountable, therefore there is no plural form.

I have two Sentinel Legioss figures, with a third on the way.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

You're misremembering again.  Legioss are prominently featured in almost every episode! ^_^

Technically, no.  Being a Japanese proper noun, "Legioss" is uncountable, therefore there is no plural form.

I have two Sentinel Legioss figures, with a third on the way.

Maybe I need to watch the show again!:rofl:

Is the plural of kuruma (car if Google did me right), kuruma?

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Is the plural of kuruma (car if Google did me right), kuruma?

I’m guessing maybe they add adjective to the subject in a conversation when one word doesn’t have proper Nihonggo plural word for it?

E.g. Takusan no kuruma. (Takusan means ‘a lot’.)

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I’m guessing maybe they add adjective to the subject in a conversation when one word doesn’t have proper Nihonggo plural word for it?

E.g. Takusan no kuruma. (Takusan means ‘a lot’.)

For starters, if one thinks that all Japanese words are uncountable (ie: no plural forms) would make the differences easiest to understand.

They also count things differently.  One would have to use the correct "counting word" for the thing being counted.  So, two cars would be something like "kuruma 2-dai", but 2 houses would be "ie 2-ken", and 2 sheets of paper is "kami 2-mai".

Paper is a good example for why they use different counting words.  Consider the difference in English between: 2 pieces of paper vs. 2 sheets of paper vs. 2 reams of paper.

So, going back to the OP, it would be "Legioss 2-ki" (counter for aircraft) in Japanese.  However, in English it's merely "2 Legioss".

On 5/8/2021 at 12:52 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

No word on that that I can find... and Tatsunoko Production's page for it has a region-lock that defeated even my main VPN.

What I was able to glean from Entertainment Archive Alpha: Genesis Climber MOSPEADA File is:

Hide contents

Genesis Breaker is set up as a side story to Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.  Like the series, it's set in 2083 during the time between the Second and Third Descent Operations. 

The description of the protagonists - the titular Genesis Breakers - is kind of fan fiction-y.  The BREAKERS are a Special Task Force that was secretly established within the Mars Central Government's Intelligence Bureau.  Their original purpose was to suppress dissent and turmoil during the unification of Mars.  Apparently violently, as it's indicated the BREAKERS were issued a License to Kill that was never rescinded.  They apparently don't get on with Mars's regular armed forces, who are noted to be wary of them and shun them.  (Their name is apparently a reference to circuit breakers?)

For my money, the most interesting tidbit is a notation on the origin of the human name for the invading aliens.  When they first invaded Earth they were referred to only as the "Invaders" or "Invader Division".  Once their true nature as a swarm intellect came to light the term "Invader Bit" was coined for them which was abbreviated to "INVIT".  (That's how it's spelled, in English, in the article.)

Anyhoo... in 2083 the BREAKERS are operating on Earth on a mission to study the Invit.  Their home base is a Mars ship named Archelon that's parked in lunar orbit and they made planetfall equipped with the latest Dark Ride Armor being prototyped for the Third Descent Operation forces.  The main character is an (estimated) 19 year old female operative named Gate, codenamed BREAKER-1, a consummate professional operative.

Not much else is said about the setting of Genesis Breaker, the article is mostly a recap of the MOSPEADA setting.

How many protagonists? And by fan fiction-y as in lack of personality and more how powerful they are even by setting standards?

1 hour ago, roboemo said:

How many protagonists?

"Gate" AKA Breaker-1 is the only one given any discussion/description, but only in vague terms as a ~19 year old consummate professional operative.

There's mention in passing of more members of the Breakers in the field with her.

1 hour ago, roboemo said:

And by fan fiction-y as in lack of personality and more how powerful they are even by setting standards?

Mainly in terms of how the Breakers are described as an ultra-super-top-secret organization of elite intelligence operatives with the latest tech even the military doesn't have yet and a license to kill.  (I guess it doesn't really help the edgy fanfic feel that ships and mecha with the Dark stealth upgrade were already being painted black...)

But this is just an initial impression based on the description in Mospeada File.  

I think any time a story is set in an existing fictional universe, and the description is along the lines of "A super skilled, super lethal, super secret team...", it feels a bit fan fiction-y right off the bat.

Up until this description, I thought Breakers was going to be more of like that one Robotech comics side story (if I remember right, it was in another series that I'm blanking on right now, with like 8 pages per issue as a back-up story) where we followed a different team on Earth while in parallel to the New Gen series, except, you know, this would be MOSPEADA.

13 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I think any time a story is set in an existing fictional universe, and the description is along the lines of "A super skilled, super lethal, super secret team...", it feels a bit fan fiction-y right off the bat.

Up until this description, I thought Breakers was going to be more of like that one Robotech comics side story (if I remember right, it was in another series that I'm blanking on right now, with like 8 pages per issue as a back-up story) where we followed a different team on Earth while in parallel to the New Gen series, except, you know, this would be MOSPEADA.

Invid War or Robotech Invasion.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:00 PM, RavenHawk said:

Pretty much, yes... I'm not sure what I expected from Tatsunoko Production, especially after the mess that was The Price of Smiles, but it certainly wasn't this.

Oh, the Robotech: Invasion video game?

I guess the basic premises do sound a similar in a vague sense... and that game was where Robotech first introduced its equivalent of a Dark Ride Armor, albeit as a new model rather than a converted existing model like Shinobu's in the original MOSPEADA.

Agreed; I would say the only  time it wouldn't is if they were telling the story of how they got to that status, complete with bad mistakes, high-cost failures, monumental screw-ups, and other such things that made sure their position was earned rather than just "a kewl club" as it were. Those skills need to cost much training, pain and injury, the lethality needs to have been learned through rigorous discipline and enduring the consequences of not heeding that discipline, and the secrecy must come with a high price (loss of friends, loss of family, loss of identity, etc.)

There's a reason Master Chief in HALO is a bada$$ and his story is replete with tragedy, failure and sacrifice. If the "Breakers" are to be that kind of special, then that kind of horrible must await them, IMO.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:26 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

"Gate" AKA Breaker-1 is the only one given any discussion/description, but only in vague terms as a ~19 year old consummate professional operative.

There's mention in passing of more members of the Breakers in the field with her.

Mainly in terms of how the Breakers are described as an ultra-super-top-secret organization of elite intelligence operatives with the latest tech even the military doesn't have yet and a license to kill.  (I guess it doesn't really help the edgy fanfic feel that ships and mecha with the Dark stealth upgrade were already being painted black...)

But this is just an initial impression based on the description in Mospeada File.  

Yeah, pretty fan-fic alright. Although if they wanted to be authentic, that tech was probably built by the lowest bidder and breaks down every other mission or two.

(not to mention the black paint was watercolor and even the first good humid or foggy day will ruin their camo. O.o :lol:

11 hours ago, sh9000 said:

MEP.

C'mon MEP, quit photographing that same flawed prototype and take the time to fix the sculpt.  You're so close! 

b4.jpg

Just take a second look at the line art, and tweak the proportions appropriately.  The "cockpit/head" needs to sit lower and widen as it tapers back, and the cannons have to sit higher up:

aftR.jpg

It's not like you had to make concessions for transformation or anything... <_<

Edited by tekering

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh, the Robotech: Invasion video game?

I guess the basic premises do sound a similar in a vague sense... and that game was where Robotech first introduced its equivalent of a Dark Ride Armor, albeit as a new model rather than a converted existing model like Shinobu's in the original MOSPEADA.

The comic by Wildstorm.

2 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I'd definitely prefer @tekering's version. Is that Cap's?

No, I just did some Photoshop manipulation to MEP's prototype pics, to demonstrate the inaccuracies in Hielo Metalico's sculpt.

I no longer use Facebook, but feel free to share the images there... although I'm sure they're much too far along in the production process to fix anything now. <_<