9 hours ago, Duymon said:

I painted up the recast copy of the pilot. Was a lot harder than I thought it would be :0

Nice! It looks better than the original. I plan to paint the bike and pilot figure also when I eventually get mine, but I need to find or mix the right colors for it and I hate mixing paints.

6 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Nice! It looks better than the original. I plan to paint the bike and pilot figure also when I eventually get mine, but I need to find or mix the right colors for it and I hate mixing paints.

When I saw your post, I thought "hey, what about the old Legioss kits, they should have a colour guide".

image.png.c5ae16b48e102a46441e72921474520b.png

image.png.94e671416ea2a5f139b78c201ca14784.png

So paint mixing looks like a must.  Searching through HobbySearch lead me to discover these, which I did not know existed:

Spoiler

Legioss Cutaway (the Legioss has hidden boobs):

image.png.7d0a012ddf2f1669739abcb75afc3347.png

Mospeada Cutaway:

image.png.eba3cc1bf0f37a885850a242fa558066.png

How do non-Japanese reading people go about reading or translating that though? I had the same issue with the color guides for some bandai Macross kits.

They tell you the percentages of what colors to mix, but I can't tell what colors they're saying to mix. :(

Edited by MacrossJunkie

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

How do non-Japanese reading people go about reading or translating that though? I had the same issue with the color guides for some bandai Macross kits.

They tell you the percentages of what colors to mix, but I can't tell what colors they're saying to mix. :(

The color guides usually correspond to Mr. Hobby/Gunze paint numbers.  For example, H-5 = Blue.

3122904381_424c280e84_o.jpg.abe1541cdfabb6dcea58c35dc437bcc7.jpg

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

As someone who can read both (J and E), I can confirm that UN_Marine's colour guide matches up.  However, there are some discrepancies.  E.g. 56 "medium blue" on the instructions is "UN Gray green" on the colour guide.

On closer inspection, the instructions do have a disclaimer in the upper right: "H = GSI Creos water-based hobby colour numbers".  (Look for "GSI" in the 2nd line of Japanese above the Hobby Search in the upper right).

Here's a linky to the "Aqueous Hobby Colours" (colour information at the bottom): http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=83

#H56 is described as "Intermediate Blue", which matches the instructions. ;)

Edited by sketchley

It would be a good reason to learn some basic Japanese!

the ones I’ve seen are usually written in Katakana (used to write words from foreign languages, like “blue” would be “buruu”) or Hiragana (used to write native Japanese words, so “blue” is “aoi”), which are phonetic scripts. So you could sit there with a small chart (about 50 symbols for each) and learn a little.

It’s both fun and practical!

48 minutes ago, UN_MARINE said:

The color guides usually correspond to Mr. Hobby/Gunze paint numbers.  For example, H-5 = Blue.

Thanks! that helps a whole lot! Up until now, I've been referencing translated ones like this http://www.mech9.com/2016/09/172-vf-31s-siegfried-arrad-molders-ver.html?m=1

but I couldn't find ones for every bandai macross kit.

37 minutes ago, sketchley said:

As someone who can read both (J and E), I can confirm that UN_Marine's colour guide matches up.  However, there are some discrepancies.  E.g. 56 "medium blue" on the instructions is "UN Gray green" on the colour guide.

On closer inspection, the instructions do have a disclaimer in the upper right: "H = GSI Creos water-based hobby colour numbers".  (Look for "GSI" in the 2nd line of Japanese above the Hobby Search in the upper right).

Here's a linky to the "Aqueous Hobby Colours" (colour information at the bottom): http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=83

#H56 is described as "Intermediate Blue", which matches the instructions. ;)

Also good information.

4 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

It would be a good reason to learn some basic Japanese!

the ones I’ve seen are usually written in Katakana (used to write words from foreign languages, like “blue” would be “buruu”) or Hiragana (used to write native Japanese words, so “blue” is “aoi”), which are phonetic scripts. So you could sit there with a small chart (about 50 symbols for each) and learn a little.

It’s both fun and practical!

This is good to know. Thanks, I might just do that.

19 minutes ago, ghostryder said:

Small, but mighty!

AHCHec.jpg

YfejkX.jpg

2UJ2pO.jpg

I love the Legioss fighter mode, but damn that gap between the wing and shoulder is triggering the Hell out of my OCD. If I knew how to make a 3d printer cover for it, that would have been the first thing I would have done upon removing it from the box. 

2 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

I love the Legioss fighter mode, but damn that gap between the wing and shoulder is triggering the Hell out of my OCD. If I knew how to make a 3d printer cover for it, that would have been the first thing I would have done upon removing it from the box. 

I'm surprised I hadn't noticed that before!  I must be losing my OCD powers with age.

I transformed this guy and am pleasantly surprised that the wing flaps never popped off.  The shoulder rotation is, however, too stiff to move.  I'll need to locate the WD-40 or silicone grease.  

My two favorite 80s mecha in battroid/soldier modes:

olFqow.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

paint makes the hip joints work well so i'm sure nail polish would too.

I would avoid using any fricition additives to the shoulder joints though, because the material is very soft and it's a tiny pinhead-sized ball joint.

For the knees just use some hot water to make the sides fit firmly

Edited by Duymon

2 minutes ago, crackpot said:

More photos: 

https://hakabanogarou.jp/archives/12082

That all hot pink Hoquet and ride armor sure is not good to look at. 

Yikes, I hope that's the test shot color and not final! It goes from "it looks better if you paint the pilot figure" to "you kinda have to paint this figure." 

Looks like it comes with both guns though.