See, I consider Legioss as a proper noun, a name, and thus consider the cartoon's pronunciation to be correct. Much like somebody American named Michael correcting a person calling him Mikael because that's not how his name is pronounced.

Another example would be Porsche which is correctly pronounced as por-shuh and not porsh.

Edited by crackpot

17 hours ago, crackpot said:

See, I consider Legioss as a proper noun, a name, and thus consider the cartoon's pronunciation to be correct. Much like somebody American named Michael correcting a person calling him Mikael because that's not how his name is pronounced.

I would 100% give you that. I mispronounced "HIkaru" for ages. I don't watch the shows often and when I do, I'm usually reading the subtitles since I don't speak the language so I definitely have made that mistake too. If the common thought is that "Legioss" is a name, like it's named after Akari Legioss and he just threw his last name on his sweet design, then I would agree that everyone should make the effort to get it right (pronouncing it as he would have). That's also why I asked if we're just dealing with a completely made up word. My guess has always been that "Legion" is the is the word Artmic used as the basis after it was decided the Vector should connect to a secondary vehicle for more toy potential and Legion denotes a group acting as one force... of course that could all very easily be just something I made up in my head with no connection to reality (and a Legion is a huge fighting force so not so applicable).

Edited by jenius

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

I have not heard that and I hope I never do.,

One of the guys that does the videos for HLJ says it like that. First time I ever heard decals pronounced like that...drove me nuts :lol: I got worried I was mispronouncing it wrong my whole life. I looked it up on the internet and apparently it’s a Canadian thing and a few regional spots in the US.

Chris

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I don't watch the shows often

That much was obvious from the start.  :p

4 hours ago, jenius said:

Someone even told me the proper English pronunciation was "Lee juss" which blew my mind. 

That's a sound assumption, based on a clear understanding of how English phonics are applied to foreign words... but obviously isn't applicable to Japanese romanization.

In fact, most Japanese have such a shockingly poor understanding of English phonics that a significantly different system of romanization had to be developed -- by an American, in fact -- just so foreigners would be able to parse the sounds.  Unfortunately, over a century later, most Japanese are still unfamiliar with it.  <_<

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

All I know is people that pronounce decals like “Deck-els” are statins spawn! :p

But that's the correct pattern, isn't it?

pedal - metal - decal - dental - petal - mental

Phonetically, all these vowel sounds should be pronounced exactly the same.  How would you justify a different pronunciation, based on that spelling?

5 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

I just realised Stiq is a real bad pilot, he used all that missles for 2 inbits

He is very terrible. He even missed his target with a barrage of missiles. The fact that he mostly relies on missiles to take down inbits is quite sad. It's no wonder the recapture forces failed miserably. 

10 minutes ago, crackpot said:

He is very terrible. He even missed his target with a barrage of missiles. The fact that he mostly relies on missiles to take down inbits is quite sad. It's no wonder the recapture forces failed miserably. 

Which reminds me, did they ever explained where they get their missles supplies from? Its been a while since I watch this show and I am sure the logistics to up keep that legioss will be difficult, esp when he spams missles like that

46 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

I am sure the logistics to up keep that legioss will be difficult, esp when he spams missles like that

That was always the Invid's Achilles' heel: they ignored any mecha or ordinance that didn't pose an immediate threat to them.  Functional weaponry was left abandoned on battlefields and crash sites across the Americas, so all it took was a little salvaging to procure whatever was required, be it missiles, ride armor, even variable fighter craft.  The only thing they ever paid attention to was HBT, and even that could be stolen in sufficient quantities.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

That was always the Invid's Achilles' heel: they ignored any mecha or ordinance that didn't pose an immediate threat to them.  Functional weaponry was left abandoned on battlefields and crash sites across the Americas, so all it took was a little salvaging to procure whatever was required, be it missiles, ride armor, even variable fighter craft.  The only thing they ever paid attention to was HBT, and even that could be stolen in sufficient quantities.

Still that must be a bitch to replace those missles everytime he spams them. Plus they do not have a full support crew, I am sure replacing every missle takes hours if not a whole day

Edited by Guyffon

Looks at the past two pages. :mellow:

So when the Fuke is Houquet’s Legioss gonna be up for preorder and what’s the planned release date? :D

Edited by Mog

13 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

Still that must be a bitch to replace those missles everytime he spams them. Plus they do not have a full support crew, I am sure replacing every missle takes hours if not a whole day

Deep down, Jim hated Stick with the fury of a thousand suns. 

Anybody else preorder from Anime Export? My order was "ready to be shipped" almost two weeks ago, but I got no notification. Once I logged in, I had to manually set the order to "ship," but it hasn't moved since. I'm not super worried yet, but I do wish that there could be some movement on this...

22 minutes ago, Axelay said:

Anybody else preorder from Anime Export? My order was "ready to be shipped" almost two weeks ago, but I got no notification. Once I logged in, I had to manually set the order to "ship," but it hasn't moved since. I'm not super worried yet, but I do wish that there could be some movement on this...

By what method have to chosen to ship?  AE are pretty much not going to ship anything unless it's by ferry.  They've been holding on to an SHF figure of mine since end of March and the pricks won't ship by any normal method (i.e. DHL or FedEx.)  Only EMS, Ferry or some specific courier service that, oddly, needs my Social Security Number even though DHL and FedEx do not.  Screw AE.

Same as a VF-1, chair rotates and the pilot looks at monitors showing the action outside. I don't recall them ever making a point of showing the cameras though... But one assumes they're in the head. The green one has the big obvious eye.

Edited by jenius

Speaking of eyes, anybody find them to be a bit too dull? Wish they were more yellow like the reflectors on the legs and shoulders. It's strange, because the box art actually emphasizes a glow on the eyes.

Some other things that I have noticed since handling it:

• The tab/slot system for the gun doesn't work for me, it seems misaligned or the slot on the gun is to shallow.
  • Would have been nice for the nose-cone to lock into the back for robot mode
  • A thigh/knee swivel or a more versatile ball-joint system in the hips would have been nice for more dynamic and expressive articulation

That being said, this Legioss is full of quality and pretty robust then its small appearance might indicate.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

That's a sound assumption, based on a clear understanding of how English phonics are applied to foreign words... but obviously isn't applicable to Japanese romanization.

In fact, most Japanese have such a shockingly poor understanding of English phonics that a significantly different system of romanization had to be developed -- by an American, in fact -- just so foreigners would be able to parse the sounds.  Unfortunately, over a century later, most Japanese are still unfamiliar with it.  <_<

Phonetically, all these vowel sounds should be pronounced exactly the same.  How would you justify a different pronunciation, based on that spelling?

Except English is messed up like that in that you can't rely on any pattern; it's why it is such a difficult language to learn. After all, you pronounce the front of decal and fecal the same but the end changes pronunciation (al versus əl).  The funny thing is that when I dropped that upsidedown e in there, it made it look like the a in this font. Renal is also the same with the long E sound but follows the fecal pattern versus the decal pattern.

Edited by vladykins

1 hour ago, vladykins said:

Except English is messed up like that in that you can't rely on any pattern; it's why it is such a difficult language to learn.

That's the influence of all the other European languages, of course, with their contradictory spellings and unique phonemes; if you research the etymology of "decal," it turns out to be a French abbreviation, which explains the inconsistent pronunciation.  Those of us unfamiliar with the French term are likely to read the word based on English phonetics, so we've got it wrong... but if enough people make the same mistake long enough, we end up with new pronunciations like "Paris" (completely different from the proper French pronunciation) that become established as unique for that language.  Japanese is full of these ignorant mistakes becoming full-fledged Japanese words, with consistent meanings and pronunciations existing separate from their original English roots.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

Same as a VF-1, chair rotates and the pilot looks at monitors showing the action outside.

He doesn't watch the shows often, but @jenius knows what he's talking about.  :good:

1527597303_Legiosscockpitscreens.jpg.42bedcbe22c3b15748c2298607a34a57.jpg

282211350_Legiosscockpit.jpg.258779e5519ef3106132b47218875f5d.jpg

4 hours ago, lechuck said:

Speaking of eyes, anybody find them to be a bit too dull? Wish they were more yellow like the reflectors on the legs and shoulders. It's strange, because the box art actually emphasizes a glow on the eyes.

Some other things that I have noticed since handling it:

• The tab/slot system for the gun doesn't work for me, it seems misaligned or the slot on the gun is to shallow.
  • Would have been nice for the nose-cone to lock into the back for robot mode
  • A thigh/knee swivel or a more versatile ball-joint system in the hips would have been nice for more dynamic and expressive articulation

That being said, this Legioss is full of quality and pretty robust then its small appearance might indicate.

The nose cone locks into the back of solider mode pretty well. You do have to give it a good push, but will make a nice click when it's all the way in. 

I'll have to disagree with you on the ball-jointed hip idea. I think the mechanical joints they employed offer plenty of articulation, certainly more than any other Legioss toy has ever enjoyed. Moreover, I think it'll prove to be more robust over time. Ball joints are nice for their range, but tend to wear and become floppy over time, and sometimes right out of the box. They're fine on a smaller toy, and this is relatively small, but I'm thinking more on the scale of Transformers legends or deluxe scale. I don't recall if this has a knee swivel, but yeah, that would be nice. I don't think it needs a separate thigh swivel, as the entire thigh swivels on the hip joints, offering a comparable range of motion.

As for cockpit orientation, I only just recently watched the whole series, and  never is it shown or described in any way how the cockpit orients in Soldier mode.  How the pilot's are able to see anything is also never shown, as , in Soldier mode, the view is always of the pilot (often recycled footage)  from a 3/4 front perspective. From what I can recall, I don't believe they ever give you a pilot's perspective. It would make sense that the pilot's seat rotates into an upright position, a la any number of Macross valks, and I love what Sentinel did with their Legioss, canon or not. Considering the VF-1 predates Mospeada by about two years, there was already a precedent. It's just never explicitly shown in the animation.

Edited by M'Kyuun

1 hour ago, SuperHobo said:

The nose cone locks into the back of solider mode pretty well. You do have to give it a good push, but will make a nice click when it's all the way in. 

Holy mother of crabs... You are absolutely right, it really needs a good push. :ohmy:

Thanks @SuperHobo!

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'll have to disagree with you on the ball-jointed hip idea. I think the mechanical joints they employed offer plenty of articulation, certainly more than any other Legioss toy has ever enjoyed. Moreover, I think it'll prove to be more robust over time. Ball joints are nice for their range, but tend to wear and become floppy over time, and sometimes right out of the box. They're fine on a smaller toy, and this is relatively small, but I'm thinking more on the scale of Transformers legends or deluxe scale. I don't recall if this has a knee swivel, but yeah, that would be nice. I don't think it needs a separate thigh swivel, as the entire thigh swivels on the hip joints, offering a good range of motion.

I was envisioning something like those hip ball-joints you get in MG GunPla that have the short downward rod that plugs into the leg and provides an elegant swivel. Otherwise I am with you, the setup we got is good and robust, just missing that option to tilt the leg inwards.

7 hours ago, jenius said:

Same as a VF-1, chair rotates and the pilot looks at monitors showing the action outside. I don't recall them every making a point of showing the cameras though... But one assumes they're in the head. The green one has the big obvious eye.

Thanks Jenius.  I see what you mean. It’s a common design in Japanese cartoon robot. However, it is weird that I can hardly see any opening of cameras in the head. The design of the head could be more stylish.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

That's the influence of all the other European languages, of course, with their contradictory spellings and unique phonemes; if you research the etymology of "decal," it turns out to be a French abbreviation, which explains the inconsistent pronunciation.  Those of us unfamiliar with the French term are likely to read the word based on English phonetics, so we've got it wrong... but if enough people make the same mistake long enough, we end up with new pronunciations like "Paris" (completely different from the proper French pronunciation) that become established as unique for that language.  Japanese is full of these ignorant mistakes becoming full-fledged Japanese words, with consistent meanings and pronunciations existing separate from their original English roots.

He doesn't watch the shows often, but @jenius knows what he's talking about.  :good:

1527597303_Legiosscockpitscreens.jpg.42bedcbe22c3b15748c2298607a34a57.jpg

282211350_Legiosscockpit.jpg.258779e5519ef3106132b47218875f5d.jpg

The sketches are so cool! 

Yeah, but those designs never actually got depicted in the animation... perhaps because they simply ran out of time to incorporate them.  You'll notice the date on that lower sketch -- July 22nd, 1983 -- was a mere ten weeks from Mospeada's broadcast premiere, October 2nd.  They must have been well into animation production by that point, and yet they were still finalizing designs...?  :huh:

It's incredible that Mospeada ended up looking as good as it did, really, particularly considering how poor some of the later Macross episodes turned out (having been broadcast earlier that same summer).  The mecha, characters, and backgrounds were all more consistently drawn and animated for Mospeada than they had been for Macross.

Mind you, Macross DYRL was released a mere nine months later, and made everything else look like crap by comparison.  B))

What a time that must've been to be an anime fan in Japan!

Otaku.jpg.d83c8cf8d8dd682237a8bf25074f6b79.jpg

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Some of us collect more than just the toys, Akim.  ^_^

308531010_modelsheets.jpg.f2723d5033d9b45edb0c62b6eb52acb1.jpg

Settei, storyboard, scripts

Beautiful!!

Strangely, some of these settei copy are familiar...

I thought it came from a peculiar settei set but maybe i was wrong...

Nice to see all these copy in big size

Edited by akim
Wrong idea

21 hours ago, tekering said:

Womb, tomb, comb...

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, but those designs never actually got depicted in the animation... perhaps because they simply ran out of time to incorporate them.  You'll notice the date on that lower sketch -- July 22nd, 1983 -- was a mere ten weeks from Mospeada's broadcast premiere, October 2nd.  They must have been well into animation production by that point, and yet they were still finalizing designs...?  :huh:

So I don't know how similar Japanese production pipelines are to ours, but we'll often finalize designs even after episodes have already technically shipped for animation. And generally props/BGs/etc. won't be designed until they actually appear in the show - if they never actually showed the cockpit in armor-soldier, it never would have had a final design pass. If it did show up, it would have been a situation where they said, "okay, we're finally showing the cockpit in armor-soldier, we need to finalize the design for it" - or they would have just cut the cockpit interior shot because they didn't have the bandwidth.

23 hours ago, Dobber said:

One of the guys that does the videos for HLJ says it like that. First time I ever heard decals pronounced like that...drove me nuts :lol: I got worried I was mispronouncing it wrong my whole life. I looked it up on the internet and apparently it’s a Canadian thing and a few regional spots in the US.

Chris

If you were mispronouncing it wrong, wouldn't that mean that you were pronouncing it right?... :unsure::unknw: ...8P... :lol: