lots of things i like and lots of things i don't on the new legioss.  i still think the proportions look odd in both modes.  i do like the shorter rear feet/thrusters as compared to every other transforming legioss ever (maybe the gakken was as short proportinally?) .  empty shoulders are a big minus.  the head is also gigantic.  its not supposed to be that big.  the whole thing is blocky and stocky which i like...but its too much so.  the legs are too short.  the cockpit in fighter mode is too bulbous and the rear of it meats the fuselage in an odd way.  i  guess for me the deciding factor will be whether it handles well and feels good.  i don't think anything since the large  gakken can claim to have done that (CMs wasn't a nightmare to handle like toynami but it was too flimsy feeling and stuff didn't line up right in hand).   i've not yet hanlded the evolution toys one but all reports say its pretty to look at but not so great in hand (but i'm getting those as anyway because presence is nice.  zeta is in my private warehouse iota is orderde ..still need to chase down the eta somewhere if anyone has one to sell at reasonable price! haha) so i'm crossing my fingers on this sentinel one. 

11 minutes ago, danth said:

I think they're nailing the Legioss. Only thing I don't like is how low the crotch/legs are in Soldier mode but I think it's mis-transformed in the pictures. Looks like the crotch is supposed to slide up at least.

I don't think the Soldier mode display is a transformable sample. So I'm not going to say mis-teansformed or something. Look at the elbow joints and some areas where you know there's some forms of panels and hinges. Like on the arm where the booster lift up to reveal the hands. They all look stiff and solid.

o0900105014254992213.jpg?caw=800

I really like both modes and I think it's the closest to the anime a transforming toy has ever gotten so far although Aoshima version is certainly a close second. The shortening of the cockpit in armo-soldier is a great idea and solves one of the ugliest compromises the other versions have made. The proportions of the feet seem much more balanced than previous versions too. Hopefully its articulation (hips mostly) will blow the competition out of the water too. 

The more compact rear booster area in armo-fighter, the way the head is stowed under the cockpit are really showing progress compared to most previous versions. I'm not really sold on the small tailfins here but I guess Sentinel had to compromise on this because of the proportions of the forearms. 

I wonder if the legioss will  be sold a bit cheaper than the ride armors. It probably will, right? I mean it's only one figure and there should be less pieces composing it too. 

Edited by Frogze

48 minutes ago, Frogze said:

*snip*

I wonder if the legioss will  be sold a bit cheaper than the ride armors. It probably will, right? I mean it's only one figure and there should be less pieces composing it too. 

How much cheaper is cheaper for Sentinel? I mean their regular Riobot 18-19cm non-transforming figure like the recent Getter Robo Devolution is already at Y27500. The transforming 28cm Sahelanthropus is at Y41000. The 20cm Shin Getter 1 at Y33000. To be prepared, I would assume this will be in a Y25000-30000 cost frame. :unsure:

There are three, if not four, possible variants so I wouldn't expect it to be more than the ride armor. If it's the size of a ride armor, it may very well be cheaper but I wouldn't get my hopes up that it would be dramatically cheaper.

If this Legioss ended up around 16-18cm, then that's around 1/48 or 1/55?

This is just an estimate between the Legioss and Yellow's figure in some of the recent photos shown.

Edited by no3Ljm

Ha, let's not call it "correct" scale, let's call it "published" scale. Why does Mercy Rabbit know how  big the toy is going to be? I thought he was an artist, not a toy guy.  Ooh, unless he's already working on the box and they told him the text that will be there. 

Thighs of the Sentinel legioss are too short. IMO the ET Legioss blows this one out of the water in armor soldier. It's a better toy than people give it credit for. Ive owned Gakkens and Toynamis and still own the CMS. The ET is thus far the best legioss we've gotten. Stupid gunpod attachments aside. 

However there is much to say about how the gakken maintained form without the use of stupid tabs.

Also, I will buy the Sentinel cause I'm a sucker for Mospeada. Big junk and all. 

Edited by easnoddy

Just now, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Found this recent post on Mercy Rabbit's Twitter. Wonder if this'll be part of the boxart or instructions for the Riobot Lancer. 

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.415f8aecfe67bb33bd938be70e110dc7.JPG

Looks like the classic design, not the Sentinel one.

7 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Looks like the classic design, not the Sentinel one.

Oh yeah you're right. Didn't even notice. He also has this which I REALLY hope isn't the updated Tread look. If we do get a Riobot Tread to go with Legioss I hope it looks more traditional than this. 

IMG_5354.JPG.bc6b1558c40c64b690375a2d124d8cec.JPG

4 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Oh yeah you're right. Didn't even notice. He also has this which I REALLY hope isn't the updated Tread look. If we do get a Riobot Tread to go with Legioss I hope it looks more traditional than this. 

IMG_5354.JPG.bc6b1558c40c64b690375a2d124d8cec.JPG

I think that's the Condor (did it have a different name in MOSPEADA or Robotech? I'm blanking).

download.jpg.0c8c9786ef6fd943575abb24bec7ccf9.jpg

VA-5-AS-CO3-Condor-Veritech-Fighter-Bomber-4.jpeg.7355e99ea6088921bd9ee0e37f72196b.jpeg

4 minutes ago, danth said:

Huh. The Condor transforms? I have a ton of Mospeada books & line art and I have never seen that second picture. Is that an original Artmic illustration or Robotech fan art?

Maybe someone did an original drawing based on the non-transforming Condor.

6 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Maybe someone did an original drawing based on the non-transforming Condor.

I could look through my various ARTMIC books to refresh my memory, but I don't think it was every shown transformed (though there was concept art showing it flying, in robot form).

All the transformed art work out there is fan art, I think...

However, some of the ARTMIC art did show what appear to be wings on it, so my opinion is that, as originally designed, they were at least leaving the option there for it to be transformable.

download.png.6ea2139c420043fa6d93604adbc5772d.png

My personal, non-canon preference is to have it transform and be a booster, like the TLEAD. That whole proboscis on the design looks like it would fit nicely between the arms/upper engines on the Legioss.

12 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

My personal, non-canon preference is to have it transform and be a booster, like the TLEAD. That whole proboscis on the design looks like it would fit nicely between the arms/upper engines on the Legioss.

Didn't occur to me it could be the Condor either. No idea it transformed. Yeah what threw me also is the phallyc nose cone that looks like it would marry up between the Legioss' arms. Glad I'm wrong. Looks cool and all but an updated yet still traditionally spirited (like the Ride Armors) Tread would be preferred. 

3 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Didn't occur to me it could be the Condor either. No idea it transformed. Yeah what threw me also is the phallyc nose cone that looks like it would marry up between the Legioss' arms. Glad I'm wrong. Looks cool and all but an updated yet still traditionally spirited (like the Ride Armors) Tread would be preferred. 

It'll never be made, but I have a soft spot for Kakinuma Hideki's redesigns from 2007 Hobby Japan Magazine.

legioss-remake.jpg.b758426d4a22be496e1b70502ec518de.jpg

tread-remake.jpg.ea41b5f82d741af6632ca3ae36eecf56.jpg

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

I think I have to agree.

What I really like about the Sentinel Legioss is the fact that it's being designed by T-Rex. I really dig the novel nosecone/cockpit transformation scheme (props to @F18LEGIOSS for his very insightful schematics based on the shown prototype images). I'm a little less enthused about some of the more angular features in Armo-Fighter mode, and some of the very obviously WIP parts like the hollow shoulders, large shoulder swingbar relief gaps, and some of the basic proportions shown in the prototypes... Capt America is also 100% correct about the jamming of the leg units - check out the fuselage fairing which is prototyped as part of the flight stand fer chrissakes - but if there is any modern toy design firm able to do justice to the Legioss, then T-Rex has got to be up there near the very tippy top of that list.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this one.

Edited by Hiriyu

I can guarantee that there's no way for the Condor to transform AND attach to the back of any Legioss and still retain any resemblance to the line-art. These guys couldn't even design a basic rifle, so my faith in them figuring-out the mechanics of a robot that was seen as a still in ONE episode is ZERO.

Edited by captain america

10 hours ago, captain america said:

I can guarantee that there's no way for the Condor to transform AND attach to the back of any Legioss and still retain any resemblance to the line-art. These guys couldn't even design a basic rifle, so my faith in them figuring-out the mechanics of a robot that was seen as a still in ONE episode is ZERO.

I'm not trying to get into an argument by any means, but I do think that it's important to separate what was seen in the show from what was designed. It may have been seen in one still, but the ARTMIC team did a ton of design work and backstory work that the final episode writers did or did not include at their own discretion. There were histories written that never made it in, and many additional mecha, weapons, armors, and variants. Mecha were designed with full, detailed transformation sequences, even if the animators and script writers of the final show never used those designs. Again, we're talking about what was designed, not what made it into the show.

Looking at the IMAI files (well, the English translation of the IMAI files), the Condor was described as the "Condor Armo Fighter". The Legioss, in its history notes, was referred to as the "Legioss Armo Fighter", which replaced the "Condor Armo Fighter". So, to me, that means that the designers intended the Condor not to be a TLEAD predecessor, thus it did not connect to the Legioss.

I personally just like to picture it as an attachment/booster/re-entry add-on, just because I think it would be visually fun.

As for transformation, I have seen no original ARTMIC pictures of it transformed, except for having the legs folded back; it also does have those small/vestigial wings on its back. However, lets keep in mind that the TLEAD transformation is, essentially, bend the legs and arms back and open the wings. Looks to me like the Condor would be essentially bend the legs back and unfold the significantly smaller wings. So, not THAT far short of it (in fact, early designs for the TLEAD, including transformation, didn't have a head or anything else folding or moving, but were basically the Condor "transformation", but with longer wings), but yes, visually less of a change.

If you look at the backstory in the IMAI files, the different Earth colonies (Mars and Jupiter) were involved in warfare among each other, and then banded together to fight the Inbit, developing the Legioss along the way. My takeaway from that is that the Condor was used in these colonial battles. As these took place in space or in the atmospheres of other planets (and, in some cases, lower gravities and different densities of atmosphere), the Condor did not have to be very aerodynamic (not that the TLEAD is either). The first wave to retake Earth used these, and then the Legioss was developed. That doesn't change the fact that the Condor was an "armo fighter" and not just an "armo soldier".

Realistically, it just doesn't matter. You prefer to think of it as not being intended to transform; I prefer to think of it as being intended to transform, just with a really minimalist transformation. To each his own.

As to the comment about the ARTMIC guys not being able to design a basic rifle, I think that's a bit harsh. I think they came up with some pretty decent weapons designs. Their rifles are pretty decent, and the Gallant in "rifle mode" really isn't really a rifle; it's a pistol with a stock attached.

• 2 weeks later...