3 hours ago, seti88 said:

Good to hear its being considered, now lets hope the sales do well enough to warrant H and Y!

I was admiring the  back shot and it looks perfect for a custom tank paint job...wish i had the skillz and tools to attempt it..:p

NEOGDS-252562_102.jpg.0f48947edad65e13ada880a75bc8d5d2.jpg

bb45f1541f85d965ccec4e2708406f9d--custom-moto-custom-bikes.jpg.122117e10edd6356943f991fda48d77c.jpg52a527cec3827.jpg.ad2411ed645b30ba5635265b70e2158b.jpg

You can do stickers, Seti. Atleast you're not going to damage the figure just in case you don't like it anymore. ;)

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Sentinel is basing their Ride Armor figures on new concept designs that don't even exist in Yellow or Houquet versions. 

Someone posted the Rook and Lancer artwork a while back when I asked about it.

5 hours ago, jenius said:

I spoke to one of the guys at Sentinel, he was lobbying to start the line with Houquet (obviously, he was out-voted... probably by the accountants). Suffice it to say, it's definitely under consideration. Since the accountants won that discussion, they'd probably win any discussions about how well sales of Stick and Ley have to be before a Houquet or Yellow gets green lit.

Well they made the wrong decision. Beagle went out of business going by what was thought to be the right decision. The female characters sell and once again that's what I'm waiting before deciding who I will get. People these days also like to have the complete line. To start with the two easy characters and have the others in a limbo situation is almost crazy.

3 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

Someone posted the Rook and Lancer artwork a while back when I asked about it.

As tekering pointed out. There were no Rook nor Lancer artwork based on the new concept by Aramaki on the Mospeada book. It was just Ley on the cover and Stick on the back cover. And that's the only place those new 'reimagined' artworks featured. Only in the covers. 

mospeada_front_cover.jpg?w=500&h=750

mospeada_back_cover.jpg?w=500&h=750

Edited by no3Ljm

6 hours ago, jenius said:

I spoke to one of the guys at Sentinel, he was lobbying to start the line with Houquet (obviously, he was out-voted... probably by the accountants). Suffice it to say, it's definitely under consideration. Since the accountants won that discussion, they'd probably win any discussions about how well sales of Stick and Ley have to be before a Houquet or Yellow gets green lit.

You got his contact details... right? ;)

So strange that in the age of email, Facebook and Twitter we are on this forum spitballing. :unsure:

That Figma picture from last winter's Wonderfest also has FREEing on it. They are the guys doing the new EX Garland.

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Good to know. I would definitely do the full line. 

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

As tekering pointed out. There were no Rook nor Lancer artwork based on the new concept by Aramaki on the Mospeada book. It was just Ley on the cover and Stick on the back cover. And that's the only place those new 'reimagined' artworks featured. Only in the covers. 

mospeada_front_cover.jpg?w=500&h=750

mospeada_back_cover.jpg?w=500&h=750

I don't think it would be that hard to have some designer extrapolate updated designs for Houquet/Rook and Yellow/Lancer based on these.  It's really just portions of the upper body armor that need updating, since the leg armor is the same across all the characters.

4 minutes ago, SuperSenpai said:

I don't think it would be that hard to have some designer extrapolate updated designs for Houquet/Rook and Yellow/Lancer based on these.  It's really just portions of the upper body armor that need updating, since the leg armor is the same across all the characters.

If Stick and Rei sell well we could have Shinji Aramaki updating Houquet and Yellow.

1 hour ago, Vortech said:

If trying to do a Kaneda's bike custom there is this as well.

No.  Absolutely not.  :angry:

If Shinji Aramaki wants to redesign the Mospeada Ride Armor, that's his prerogative... but only his.

Likewise, only Katsuhiro Otomo should be redesigning Kaneda's bike.

15 minutes ago, tekering said:

No.  Absolutely not.  :angry:

If Shinji Aramaki wants to redesign the Mospeada Ride Armor, that's his prerogative... but only his.

Likewise, only Katsuhiro Otomo should be redesigning Kaneda's bike.

The Unrustable Bastards bike is not a redesign of Kaneda's bike. It is a completely unrelated toy that offered a red version (and the above image) as a stretch goal for their Kickstarter campaign as an homage to Akira (or, rather, for funders who had contacted them and asked for a red version that they could customize for that purpose). To me, there's a world of difference between redesigning someone else's work (i.e. suggesting you can do it better) and this.

(As a side note, I came across a DeviantArt artist recently who is posting pictures of his "redesigns" of MOSPEADA, though he's actually just redrawing concept art from pre-production of the show and claiming it as his own)

4 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

anyone have this?

*snip*

Yes sir! Finally I have the Project BM complete Akira set unopened last year. Got it locally via eBay but thru local transaction for a good price eliminating the shipping and fees. ^_^

6 hours ago, SuperSenpai said:

I'm sure it can be done but it needs Aramaki's and Tatsunoko's approval too. ;)

29 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Why do you say that? Or should we leave that discussion for a different thread?

Well, because I don't think HG has any involvement on this figures from the initial prototype reveal in one of those toy conventions. There wasn't any indication that HG/RT has involvement on this. So I don't think they have if ever Aramaki or Sentinel or Tatsunoko decided to continue this 'reimagined' concept for Fuke and Yellow. I don't think they require HG approval on this.

I don't really know how their global hands work esp since Stick is available thru preorder at BBTS under the Mospeada name. But there's no indication on the product detail info that HG is involve. And it's not showing also int eh RT store.

Harmony Gold's input isn't necessary since these updated Ride Armors are only released in Japan, not the USA. While BBTS and other online retailers will be importing them in the USA, that doesn't qualify as an official Harmony Gold release.

Considering that Beagle's old Ride Armors were officially released in the USA as "Cyclones" by Harmony Gold and Toynami, I'm surprised that neither of them are jumping on these updated toys. Maybe those Cyclones tanked so hard that they're sitting out this release?

7 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, because I don't think HG has any involvement on this figures from the initial prototype reveal in one of those toy conventions. There wasn't any indication that HG/RT has involvement on this. So I don't think they have if ever Aramaki or Sentinel or Tatsunoko decided to continue this 'reimagined' concept for Fuke and Yellow. I don't think they require HG approval on this.

I don't really know how their global hands work esp since Stick is available thru preorder at BBTS under the Mospeada name. But there's no indication on the product detail info that HG is involve. And it's not showing also int eh RT store.

I don't disagree with you as to the facts (i.e. no mention of this on HG's websites, BBTS is selling the Stig, HG does not appear to be blocking any of the Japanese sellers from shipping orders outside of Japan). That said, HG's rights to MOSPEADA appear to include derivative works, which this would likely fall under (based on their recent arbitration with Tatsunoko).

So, in my opinion, it seems like either:

1) This isn't on HG's radar yet (or, at least the ability to get it shipped outside of Japan isn't);

2) HG gave approval but hasn't worked out their own distribution deal outside of Japan yet and thus hasn't announced anything;

3) HG took a cash payment for the license which excluded getting their name slapped on the box;

4) The arbitrator's decision, as quoted by the judge in the arbitration enforcement award, may have been slightly out of context. What I mean by that is that the decision gives HG rights to the copyrights of the shows and source material (minus visual representations of some Macross characters), including derivative works. The only specific cutout that Tatsunoko maintained was merchandising rights within Japan. The decision writes of this in regards to all three series (Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA), so the only way I see that HG would not have rights here would be if the quote was out of context and somehow Tatsunoko retained merchandising rights to derivative works on MOSPEADA... but this seems highly unlikely, based purely on the rest of the decree;

5) HG is aware of this, but doesn't have the cash to enforce the less direct issue of "We have merchandising rights to the shows, we have rights to derivative works, and these are merchandising rights to derivative works, thus this is also covered;" or

6) Tatsunoko did this behind HG's back, which is a contract violation. However, we now that their contract requires going to arbitration, which may be going on right now. The selling of these is not likely to support "irreparable harm" to HG, thus they have not been able to get an injunction while awaiting arbitration (or decided not to spend the money trying to).

Just now, TheLoneWolf said:

Harmony Gold's input isn't necessary since these updated Ride Armors are only released in Japan, not the USA. While BBTS and other online retailers will be importing them in the USA, that doesn't qualify as an official Harmony Gold release.

I disagree. See my post below yours (sorry, you posted yours while I was still typing up mine).

On 09/10/2017 at 6:10 AM, adankree said:

Thanks guys. Sounds like they're going to be articulated non-transforming figures. Honestly I don't mind, as long as they're around the 1:12th -1/14th scale as mentioned.  if that's the case, they should be more affordable.

I can't recall figma ever making any transforming figures.   If this is, it's the first.  The quality also seems to depend on the sculptor  in figma that is working on it.   Eg solid snake was awesome but mgs soldier was garbage.   Link was awesome but bruce lee sculpt was garbage. 

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

I disagree. See my post below yours (sorry, you posted yours while I was still typing up mine).

Harmony Gold has no jurisdiction over anything occurring in Japan. Their contract with Tatsunoko Production states:

"...Japan shall be excluded from the licensed territories under this Agreement."

Regarding Harmony Gold's history of blocking toys, that only pertains to Macross toys, not Mospeada toys. For example, they never blocked the importation of CM's Mospeada toys, which was a pretty extensive release. The reason can be found in the arbitrator's report:

...Respondent (Tatsunoko Production) asked Claimant (Harmony Gold) to enforce and protect the Macross trademarks outside of Japan...

In summary, as long as these toys are only being released in Japan, Harmony Gold has no say in it. Online retailers are free to import them on the gray market since Harmony Gold's litigation provision only applies to Macross. If Sentinel wants to actively market these toys in the USA, then they'll have to work with Harmony Gold and Toynami. Conversely, if Harmony Gold and Toynami want to officially import these in the USA, then they'll have to reach out to Sentinel.

As you stated above, it's possible that Harmony Gold is quietly in the process of working out a distribution deal on their own. But, given that Harmony Gold is desperately trying to market anything Robotech for the sake of the LAM, it would be absolutely bizarre if haven't finalized anything this late in the game.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

12 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Has BBTS ever put something up for pre-order but then had to cancel it due to licensing? Could that be why they haven't put up Rei for pre-order.

Chris

They were going to import Yamato Valks but Toynami threatened to refuse supply of their goods if they did. 

I heard a rumor that the Beagle Stick wouldn't have been released without Toynami's involvement. There were delays prior to the release, so... :unsure:

15 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Harmony Gold has no jurisdiction over anything occurring in Japan. Their contract with Tatsunoko Production states:

Regarding Harmony Gold's history of blocking toys, that only pertains to Macross toys, not Mospeada toys. For example, they never blocked the importation of CM's Mospeada toys, which was a pretty extensive release. The reason can be found in the arbitrator's report:

In summary, as long as these toys are only being released in Japan, Harmony Gold has no say in it. Online retailers are free to import them on the gray market since Harmony Gold's litigation provision only applies to Macross. If Sentinel wants to actively market these toys in the USA, then they'll have to work with Harmony Gold and Toynami. Conversely, if Harmony Gold and Toynami want to officially import these in the USA, then they'll have to reach out to Sentinel.

As you stated above, it's possible that Harmony Gold is quietly in the process of working out a distribution deal on their own. But, given that Harmony Gold is desperately trying to market anything Robotech for the sake of the LAM, it would be absolutely bizarre if haven't finalized anything this late in the game.

Which contract with Tatsunoko are you referring to? Where are you getting that quote from? I have only seen the Petition to Confirm the Arbitration Award, which states ". . . from the 1991-LA in that Such exclusive rights shall include all rights in all media now existing or hereafter invented, including but not limited to, theatrical, non-theatrical, television, video, merchandising, soundtrack and publications rights excluding only the merchandising rights in Japan. . . . "

I'm not sure what litigation provision you're referring to, and nothing in the judgment I've seen supports anything being exclusive to Macross. If a product is being manufactured in Japan, in sold into the US, then HG could go after the retailers that are shipping to the US, and could take matters before the ITC if they just want an injunction.

Again, I'm only looking at the one judgment, so if you have access to the multiple original contracts or to the complete text of the arbitration decision, then please share.

EDIT:

Re-reading your post, what you are referring to as a "litigation provision" does not, to my knowledge, have any bearing on their rights to enforce copyright or their exclusive contract rights here, but there are obviously plenty of details in the contracts that I haven't seen.

Edited by RavenHawk