BBTS is $200. HLJ is about $175 (+ 3% conversion rate, at least for my credit card). BBTS charges $4 shipping. HLJ will be about $25-30 (I'm guesstimating). 

The big difference for me is customer service. Not that HLJ's is bad, but BBTS's is the best out there. Plus, they're in the U.S., so if I get a defect/QC issue, getting it fixed is a breeze. I often choose BBTS even when the competitor is cheaper. In this case, BBTS might actually be cheaper. 

26 minutes ago, dr_vandermeer said:

For pre-ordering this bad boy, what works best for someone in Los Angeles? BBTS, HLJ, AmiAmi, or other?

Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, dr_vandermeer said:

For pre-ordering this bad boy, what works best for someone in Los Angeles? BBTS, HLJ, AmiAmi, or other?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in your same area and I always go with Nippon-Yasan when I can. I'm not too concerned with customer service but agree you will be better off in that department sticking with a domestic seller like BBTS. For me, it's all about the lowest price and Nippon-Yasan almost always has the lowest preorder prices. That is the case with this item being just under 18000 yen at NY. After shipping it is a little over $20 less than BBTS for me.

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I'm in your same area and I always go with Nippon-Yasan when I can. I'm not too concerned with customer service but agree you will be better off in that department sticking with a domestic seller like BBTS. For me, it's all about the lowest price and Nippon-Yasan almost always has the lowest preorder prices. That is the case with this item being just under 18000 yen at NY. After shipping it is a little over $20 less than BBTS for me.

Can I ask you if you can guesstimate the cost of shipping this item from N Yassan to LA?

I'd choose NY but their shipping quotes to SouthAmerica (I'm in Argentina) are very expensive. Have used NY for limited stuff before, but this time I preordered this Mospeada through HLJ.

2 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Can I ask you if you can guesstimate the cost of shipping this item from N Yassan to LA?

I'd choose NY but their shipping quotes to SouthAmerica (I'm in Argentina) are very expensive. Have used NY for limited stuff before, but this time I preordered this Mospeada through HLJ.

No need to guess. I selected SAL and it's 2540. Kinda high but I'm still getting the item with shipping for a few dollars more than most other shops are charging just for the item. For anyone buying from NY, they have a shipping calculator right under the cart on the right side of the page. You can add things to cart and use the calculator for your area and get exactly what they will charge you. Someone will say something about them sometimes underestimating the shipping charge and make you pay more when the item is released but I doubt that will happen this time. It only happened to me a couple times and each time, the increase was only a few dollars and the total price was still less than anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Hey Ignacio. Too bad we can't check NY's pricing right now for shipping since the item is already 'not available'. The only way we can check the shipping price if the item is in stock or the preorder is still live.

However, I did check CDJapan's shipping calculator to Argentina for the Mospeada Figure. Here's the available shipping methods:

EMS: Y4100
Registered Airmail: Y3560
Registered SAL Small Packet: Y1810

I can't guarantee if it's the same or not. But I did compare a DX VF-31 figure for both shop to see if it's the same:

Nippon-Yasan
EMS: Y7300
Registered Airmail: Y4310
Registered SAL Economy: Y3140

CDJapan
EMS: Y5700
Registered Airmail: Y4380
Registered SAL Economy: Y2410 

But since you already placed your order at HLJ. It's good that you already have one. And you never know that there might be another figure to be released by the same month or a month after, atleast you can use their Private Warehouse option. You know, like killing two birds with one stone. And for expensive toy my friend, just use HLJ. Atleast you're covered with their customer service. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

15 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

You can arrange paypal billing agreement or choose to pay with a credit card. You can add as many credit cards you want to your account. 

I understand that, but it is also inflexible or at least now becomes very difficult. Let's say you have 3 different avenues to pay through PP 1) PP balance 2) CC 3) Bank account. Before, when an item became available  I could wait a couple days until my Pay Check comes through and then use my Bank Account, if need be. Or just pay with CC if I so chose. But now when you set up the billing Agreement you have to specify how you want to pay all the time. No warning just bam! They take the money. If you want to change from one method or the other you have to go to PP and modify your billing agreement in advance of that order becoming available. THEN remember to go back and change it back if you don't want that method for the next pre-order. Also if you just want to purchase an item that IS in stock you still have to set up this stupid billing agreement for it as well. HLJ is making using them a HUGE hassle now. :angry:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

19 hours ago, Dobber said:

So I just got an email from HLJ that they are now using some service called goInterPay? I'm really confused by this and don't understand the point of it. All I know is that it's making it much harder for me to pay, even though they say it's so much easier, because now it REQUIRES you to have a PayPal billing agreement with them. Don't want to do that because I don't know what method of payment I would want to use with PayPal at the time an item becomes available. I really don't want to have to start another account with another online payment service if that is what goInterPay is. I'm really confused by this and absolutely DON'T want to make a billing agreement with them and PayPal. I guess I won't be shopped MG with HLJ anymore :( Not sure if I'll have to cancel my Ride Armor order or my other pre-orders I have with them. 

Chris

I was complaining about this when it switched over for me in like June or July. I agree with you completely. I don't like pp billing agreements because there is a likely hood my payment will go NSF. I've had it happen a lot. And it's not because I can't manage my money. Money comes in and out for many reasons. I need to have control when the payment goes out. It sucks when a payment goes NSF because of the order the bank decides to process the transactions.

I've meant to email HLJ about this but I doubt it'll make any difference. Unfortunately, I've stopped ordering from HLJ and moved that business to NY and Amiami. Luckily the preorders already put in still use the old system. My final preorder is Dancouga later this month, after that, I'm done. Its really going to suck now on preorder nights for Bandai DXs as I taken a shop out of the loop.

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I'm finding I keep getting more and more excited for this release. Never did get a beagle release...was the transformation process that bad?

Chris

It's... complicated.  It took me about an hour to get it the first time I tried to transform mine.

14 minutes ago, SuperSenpai said:

It's... complicated.  It took me about an hour to get it the first time I tried to transform mine.

Agreed. It wasn't bad, and, actually, I kind of liked it, but you had to set aside some time to do it. Even after a few times, it was like a 20 minute process to get it right. Still fun though.

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I'm finding I keep getting more and more excited for this release. Never did get a beagle release...was the transformation process that bad?

Chris

It was a bit of a trial the first time. After that it makes sense and I don't think it would take more than 5 to 10 to transform it now.

It was always fiddly though, as you really had to remove the rider from the bike to transform it and then 'wrap' the bike around him from behind. The new transformation is more accurate to the anime.

2 hours ago, Tober said:

It was a bit of a trial the first time. After that it makes sense and I don't think it would take more than 5 to 10 to transform it now.

It was always fiddly though, as you really had to remove the rider from the bike to transform it and then 'wrap' the bike around him from behind. The new transformation is more accurate to the anime.

I wouldn't say for now that it's accurate to the anime at this point in time. Though we see the rider is between the front and back part of the bike as per diagram, the HBT canister slot area (gas tank area in real life), it shouldn't be coming in from the front and probably around from above. That one should be coming in from the bottom and wrapping from the back. The rest somehow looks accurate, only that gas tank area really needs to come in from the bottom to the back.

Here's the Sentinel Diagram:
C5pFjhHUYAASs-A.jpg.2419767579dc4fd8b614bff3d2aea26e.jpg

And here's the transformation from the series:
mospeada-10.gif.238fd544b927ff25421f30003a110caa.gif

23 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I wouldn't say for now that it's accurate to the anime at this point in time. Though we see the rider is between the front and back part of the bike as per diagram, the HBT canister slot area (gas tank area in real life), it shouldn't be coming in from the front and probably around from above. That one should be coming in from the bottom and wrapping from the back. The rest somehow looks accurate, only that gas tank area really needs to come in from the bottom to the back.

And here's the transformation from the series:

This step here (attached below) is where I find the Sentinel diagram confusing.

It looks like the "gas tank" (not that it really is one in MOSPEADA or Robotech) seems to fold up, and then somehow flip over the rider's head, along with the windscreen?

This part of the transformation is actually what bugs me most about ALL the MOSPEADA toys over the years. Be it the old Gakken (big one and 1:20, both), the CMs, the Megahouse, or the Beagle/Toynami, they all have the rider essentially have to get off or out of the way so that the seat and pillion can flip up and into the gas tank, and then the rider has to get UNDER the gas tank, and then the cowl flips down onto the rider's shoulders.

None of this is anime accurate. In the anime, the cowl basically just rotates back onto the rider's chest, and the gas tank kind of (anime magic) disappears/flips under the rider along with the engine. That said, I don't REALLY care about being anime accurate, but I don't like the rider having to get off the bike to transform it.

Confusing Step.jpg

15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

It looks like the "gas tank" (not that it really is one in MOSPEADA or Robotech) seems to fold up, and then somehow flip over the rider's head, along with the windscreen?

This part of the transformation is actually what bugs me most about ALL the MOSPEADA toys over the years. Be it the old Gakken (big one and 1:20, both), the CMs, the Megahouse, or the Beagle/Toynami, they all have the rider essentially have to get off or out of the way so that the seat and pillion can flip up and into the gas tank, and then the rider has to get UNDER the gas tank, and then the cowl flips down onto the rider's shoulders.

None of this is anime accurate. In the anime, the cowl basically just rotates back onto the rider's chest, and the gas tank kind of (anime magic) disappears/flips under the rider along with the engine. That said, I don't REALLY care about being anime accurate, but I don't like the rider having to get off the bike to transform it.

Confusing Step.jpg

The anime transformation is completely unrealistic (read: impossible) from a physical standpoint. It was just drawn to look cool to pre-pubescent boys and simple enough for the sweatshop animators to draw. -_-

10 minutes ago, captain america said:

The anime transformation is completely unrealistic (read: impossible) from a physical standpoint. It was just drawn to look cool to pre-pubescent boys and simple enough for the sweatshop animators to draw. -_-

Oh, I get it. I just want a ride armor that folds up in front and in back without the rider having to get off the bike for it to transform. Maybe the Sentinel will be the one, even if that gas tank transformation looks odd.

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I think the Sentinel's transformation sequence is a flip version of what Beagle had. Beagle is more scooping from above enclosing the rider to the front and locks at the crotch area. Whereas the Sentinel one looks more like scooping from below, above the head and finally locking in towards the back. 

And as Capt mentioned its transformation is really unrealistic and it really needs to remove the rider first. And I've been playing that clip back and forth and it's really impossible without removing the rider.

And if we really need this to be anime accurate, the bike shouldn't be in 'one-piece' during transformation. It needs to split in 'two parts' just like in the first clip that I posted. One part is the front that makes the chest, torso, shoulder and gauntlet should be separated (1:04). And the second part which is the HBT tank (gas tank area), seat, rear booster, engine, wheels, and crotch armor (1:06). Which we clearly see that it's being separated from the front at 1:07 where the rider is somehow moving forward from the back part of the bike.

Hence, if you check this other official artwork of transforming sequence. You really can tell that it splits into 2 parts:

mospeada-20.gif.f05afca2a8c92bb5e9de04627aa97171.gif

Edited by no3Ljm

14 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I think the Sentinel's transformation sequence is a flip version of what Beagle had. Beagle is more scooping from above enclosing the rider to the front and locks at the crotch area. Whereas the Sentinel one looks more like scooping from below, above the head and finally locking in towards the back. 

And as Capt mentioned its transformation is really unrealistic and it really needs to remove the rider first. And I've been playing that clip back and forth and it's really impossible without removing the rider.

And if we really need this to be anime accurate, the bike shouldn't be in 'one-piece' during transformation. It needs to split in 'two parts' just like in the first clip that I posted. One part is the front that makes the chest, torso, shoulder and gauntlet should be separated (1:04). And the second part which is the HBT tank (gas tank area), seat, rear booster, engine, wheels, and crotch armor (1:06). Which we clearly see that it's being separated from the front at 1:07 where the rider is somehow moving forward from the back part of the bike.

Hence, if you check this other official artwork of transforming sequence. You really can tell that it splits into 2 parts:

mospeada-20.gif.f05afca2a8c92bb5e9de04627aa97171.gif

I see it in that animation, but I don't think any other animation showed it that way. I think Aramaki's idea was basically

1) Gauntlets separate from front wheel/suspension, while still held in place by (redundant) shocks/steering column

2) Cowl separate down the middle

3) Seat and pillion fold up behind rider, taking wheels and engine with them

4) Gas tank and windscreen somehow magically fold under and back with the items from 3)

5) Cowl slides back onto rider's chest, which magically still has the armor there that was in front of the engine, even though it should have gone with the gas tank and windscreen.

Magic!

14 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I see it in that animation, but I don't think any other animation showed it that way. I think Aramaki's idea was basically

1) Gauntlets separate from front wheel/suspension, while still held in place by (redundant) shocks/steering column

2) Cowl separate down the middle

3) Seat and pillion fold up behind rider, taking wheels and engine with them

4) Gas tank and windscreen somehow magically fold under and back with the items from 3)

5) Cowl slides back onto rider's chest, which magically still has the armor there that was in front of the engine, even though it should have gone with the gas tank and windscreen.

Magic!

And that is why anime accurate or not, we are not going to have any transforming Mospeada Ride Armor without removing the rider.

11 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

And that is why anime accurate or not, we are not going to have any transforming Mospeada Ride Armor without removing the rider.

Or until someone more creative comes along... who actually cares about this particular old anime... and sees enough potential financial benefit to make it worth their while.

Which isn't the most likely thing in the world.

2 hours ago, captain america said:

I guess I was one of those boys back then. It was cool. That first linked video from no3Ljm is from the episode where the Invid drop a building on the team. That was the best transformation sequence of the Cyclone. I think that episode was the first episode of Robotech New Generation that I even watched. Also Rook's intro in the 2nd episode and her showing Rand how to transform the Cyclone in the 3rd episode made her one of the best female anime characters.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

C5pFjhHUYAASs-A.jpg.2419767579dc4fd8b614bff3d2aea26e.jpg

I said it was "more accurate" in that, yeah, the rider is 'clam-shelled' by the bike transforming. :p

It's a pity they couldn't get the tank moving from underneath as per the animation chart, but it is a re-designed MOSPEADA anyway. :0

The only thing I really dislike is the wheel-guard being only on the left shoulder. So I wonder if it's removable.

6 minutes ago, Tober said:

I said it was "more accurate" in that, yeah, the rider is 'clam-shelled' by the bike transforming. :p

It's a pity they couldn't get the tank moving from underneath as per the animation chart, but it is a re-designed MOSPEADA anyway. :0

The only thing I really dislike is the wheel-guard being only on the left shoulder. So I wonder if it's removable.

I'm not a fan of that either, though that is true to the MOSPEADA book redesign.

Still, Aramaki spent enough time commuting on a motorcycle where you'd think he'd appreciate a matching rear splash guard, for symmetry.

Might have to 3D print one.

00-_BAVETTE_ARRIERE_MT09.jpg

If its less fiddly than transforming my CM Brave Riders, that's a WIN in my book hahaha

As for excited for the release, hell yeah. Noticed an ebay seller is stating to have them arriving between 21st Nov to 21st Dec. I am soooo hoping that is true but guess as an ebay seller being wary.

Also may have a scaled Gallant or two to show very soon ;) How's that for eagerness lol

I was always a much bigger Macross fan than Mospeada in the 80s, but nothing made my little heart beat like the transforming cyclone. Such a cool concept.

21 hours ago, Dobber said:

I understand that, but it is also inflexible or at least now becomes very difficult. Let's say you have 3 different avenues to pay through PP 1) PP balance 2) CC 3) Bank account. Before, when an item became available  I could wait a couple days until my Pay Check comes through and then use my Bank Account, if need be. Or just pay with CC if I so chose. But now when you set up the billing Agreement you have to specify how you want to pay all the time. No warning just bam! They take the money. If you want to change from one method or the other you have to go to PP and modify your billing agreement in advance of that order becoming available. THEN remember to go back and change it back if you don't want that method for the next pre-order. Also if you just want to purchase an item that IS in stock you still have to set up this stupid billing agreement for it as well. HLJ is making using them a HUGE hassle now. :angry:

Chris

Yes, you have to choose and change everytime how you want to pay. It kinda us a hassle now.

22 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Ignacio. Too bad we can't check NY's pricing right now for shipping since the item is already 'not available'. The only way we can check the shipping price if the item is in stock or the preorder is still live.

However, I did check CDJapan's shipping calculator to Argentina for the Mospeada Figure. Here's the available shipping methods:

EMS: Y4100
Registered Airmail: Y3560
Registered SAL Small Packet: Y1810

I can't guarantee if it's the same or not. But I did compare a DX VF-31 figure for both shop to see if it's the same:

Nippon-Yasan
EMS: Y7300
Registered Airmail: Y4310
Registered SAL Economy: Y3140

CDJapan
EMS: Y5700
Registered Airmail: Y4380
Registered SAL Economy: Y2410 

But since you already placed your order at HLJ. It's good that you already have one. And you never know that there might be another figure to be released by the same month or a month after, atleast you can use their Private Warehouse option. You know, like killing two birds with one stone. And for expensive toy my friend, just use HLJ. Atleast you're covered with their customer service. ;)

Yes, it what I do, I tend to combine my orders in my private warehouse to save shipping. The next few months there's a lot of items coming!!!!

On 2/10/2017 at 11:58 AM, Slave IV said:

No need to guess. I selected SAL and it's 2540. Kinda high but I'm still getting the item with shipping for a few dollars more than most other shops are charging just for the item. For anyone buying from NY, they have a shipping calculator right under the cart on the right side of the page. You can add things to cart and use the calculator for your area and get exactly what they will charge you. Someone will say something about them sometimes underestimating the shipping charge and make you pay more when the item is released but I doubt that will happen this time. It only happened to me a couple times and each time, the increase was only a few dollars and the total price was still less than anywhere else. 

Seems a bit high for SAL but nothing outragerous. I didn't check this time NY, went straight to HLJ for this preorder to combine it in my private warehouse.

10 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Or until someone more creative comes along... who actually cares about this particular old anime... and sees enough potential financial benefit to make it worth their while.

Which isn't the most likely thing in the world.

It's not a creativity problem, it's a physics problem. You cannot make a 2.5cm dia. helmet pass through a 1.8cm dia. armor neck hole and you cannot make an engine block teleport through the front of the abdomen of a figure and emerge at the back. The best you can hope for is the rider lifting his butt off the seat, over the tank and "fall" between the tank and front fairing without being maimed in the process.

14 minutes ago, captain america said:

It's not a creativity problem, it's a physics problem. You cannot make a 2.5cm dia. helmet pass through a 1.8cm dia. armor neck hole and you cannot make an engine block teleport through the front of the abdomen of a figure and emerge at the back. The best you can hope for is the rider lifting his butt off the seat, over the tank and "fall" between the tank and front fairing without being maimed in the process.

I agree. I think what Capt mentioned here is basically what we saw on the clip that I included where the rider somehow moved past above the tank area and basically making the back part of the bike, tank area, engine, and tires included, have the room to transform and to be attached on the rider's back armor. Hence, why I say earlier it separates into two parts.