Actually, all the Legioss toys/models, save for the Toynami (1/55?) are undersized for any kind of adult human pilot. Having scrutinized the line-art at length I can tell you that even the original stated dimensions for the craft are stupid small for any pilot bigger than a 10 year-old child. According to the stats, a 1/32 Legioss Armored Soldier should be 27.5cm tall, but mine is almost a full 10cm taller because I designed the whole thing around the pilot.

The whole "line-art accuracy" thing is irrelevant: being hand-drawn, the shapes and proportions vary wildly in all modes from one illustration to another, so it comes down to picking what version you happen to like more than another.

I may be imagining things but does anyone remember a really amazing scratch built Houquet ride armor custom from a few years back? I'm pretty sure it was fully transforming.

I'm certain it wasn't built on a Beagle but looked around the 1/10 scale.

Edited by Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Cool background and other drawings with this cel . . ..

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-b175827668

It sold for cheap too. I love those snow episodes. I can't be sure but this looks like it's from the episode when they find the underground city. That's a good one.

• 3 months later...

I'm really impressed by how he built the lower legs and feet extending gimmick yet keeping the ankles articulated. I wish I had the skill to achieve something like this for the Gakken rider I've been keeping aside to customize (eventually)

Nosutaru! One of my fav. Japanese builders!

You can follow his process at his blog. It is a blog so there are other models of his interspersed in the posts, but it's all worthwhile stuff. He's does a fair bit of Macross, Mospeada and Votoms builds.

This is a link to what I think is the start of his build with some computer modeling of the Mospeada. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find two arrows click on the one pointing to the left to move forward in time and the one pointing to the right to move back in time.

Looks like he did some computer modelling, some 3d printing (possibly unsuccessful) and used de-folding software a-la paperkura plus more traditional scratch building techniques while executing this build.

Check it out if you are interested.

http://nosutaru.blog41.fc2.com/page-9.html

one of the progress images:

http://blog-imgs-68.fc2.com/n/o/s/nosutaru/FJ310924.jpg

Edited by Chas

• 3 months later...

Variable Legioss? What scale?

Oh... It's Evolution toys. Never mind. It'll be like buying a Toynami and will probably be at the same price they are now.

The only reason this remotely has my interest is because unlike all of my Toynami Alphas (Variable & Poseable).... nothing on my VF-2SS has fallen apart or crumbled. I'm at least curious to see what they will come up with. B))

The only reason this remotely has my interest is because unlike all of my Toynami Alphas (Variable & Poseable).... nothing on my VF-2SS has fallen apart or crumbled. I'm at least curious to see what they will come up with. B))

yeah... I think you're right. At least I see people fixing theirs with superglue and seems like they're happy with it. Plus maybe they learned something from the VF-2SS. I guess it's in the wait and see file for now.

If it's being done by the same toy engineer from CMs maybe this time the guy will get it right. From the VF-2SS at least the guy has learned about locking tabs. The only problem is getting the factory to have the proper tolerances on said connections.

Since the old Gakken, poor old Legioss has had a horrible history of subpar toys. Right off the bat, Evolution taking on it sounds like another miss, but I'm curious.

I love the Gakken! One of my favorite toys as a kid. I wish it came with little figures on bikes though.

The most important thing to take away from this is that someone is bothering to manufacture something from lil' olé Mospeada.

...Let's hope ET can learn from experience.

The most important thing to take away from this is that someone is bothering to manufacture something from lil' olé Mospeada.

...Let's hope ET can learn from experience.

From Macross II to MOSPEADA? I'm worried they did learn, and the lesson was "a desperate enough fan will buy it even if it's crap, and thank us for it"

I'm just grateful ET hasn't touched ride armors.

Otherwise I'd buy it and shove it up my own ass...and there'd be nothing I'd be able to do to stop myself.

That's an... intesreting fetish you got there.

Nahhhh mate.

Just my Aussie way of sayin' that I'd knowingly buy expensive inferior products.

...More likely thro a coupla ride armors on the barbie.

That photo was taken at Evolution Toy's Private Exhibition Gathering on Saturday April 2nd in Akihabara. It was a small invite only show for industry members and limited toy press, like Dengeki Online, prohibited photos probably will not surface. Why? Smaller companies exhibiting at events such as Miyazawa Mokei have said that their pre-order sales have taken a dive over the past three years. They believe it's because of mock-ups and prototypes are being mistaken for a finished product, so they are cracking down and only allowing photos of paint masters or printed details to be taken.