I would only be interested in this if it addressed all the issues of the previous version and/or had a large reduction in price. As it was, I had been casually keeping tabs on MPC Alphas in the aftermarket, but only ones that were being sold at what I considered to be reasonable prices in light of the many flaws. Getting a flawed toy always sucks, but I'm more willing to play the QC lottery for $50 plus knowing that I might get a dud in advance, vs. $100+ and being completely in the dark about it.

On the other hand, if they are just re-using the same molds, then that's just pure greed. I have no idea if they re-couped their costs on the molds with what they sold the first time around. But assuming they did, then that means this latest batch should have higher margins even without the price increase. At this point they are just trying to milk people.

Sadly, it's nice-looking toy....

I bought all 3 Alphas and Betas at different times. Alpha's all have crumbly hands, loose joints, gappy gaps...just not a good product really. It does look good if you never touch it. The Beta's were better no doubt, but still have issues. They are just fun to have because honestly, never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever get a half way descent Beta Fighter. I would NEVER buy any of these again however without there being a major redesign.

It's highly unlikely that they'd renew the molds or even parts of it, c'mon this is Toynami/HG we're talking about. I think I'd be less angry if these toys were easy to fix. But most of the breaks are in places that are glued shut with no screws or replaceable attachment points. Taking them apart would most likely damage the toy even more because it means prying on cheap plastic. I've bought broken Gakken Alphas before knowing I can take them apart and put them back together. But I cant even do that with my Voltron. It's easier to buy a whole new lion just to replace the leg (of the lion and in turn the whole gestalt.) But how do you put up that much money knowing it's going to crumble in parts? Parts that turn to dust are not repairable. So not only are you putting up money for a dud, you also might want to decide what mode you want it in when you receive it and glue it shut as soon as you open it. I think I'd rather invest on models I have to paint and put together like the wave 1/72 Legioss.

What a ripoff! These MPC Alpha reissues are gonna cost $140?! That's a 133% price increase over the original MPC Alphas. For that kind of money, it had better come with a 1/55 scale Invid Shock Tropper. But knowing Toynami, it'll probably just come with a cheap stand and low-grade ABS plastic that bootleggers wouldn't even touch. And let's not forget the abysmal QC that the last batch of Alphas had.

Regarding the price -- my guess is that it's based on some Toynami or HG staff member scanning eBay to see what MPC Alphas are selling for these days. They are likely reasoning that if people are paying over $100 for a secondhand Alpha, they'd easily fork over $140 for a brand-new one.

The MPC Alpha is, in my opinion, a prime example of aftermarket inflation that is truly undeserved.

i saw but it's curious, toynami say on facebook :

These will be based on the same model as the Masterpiece Collection, but will be all new, made with ABS plastic. The MPC was a Limited Edition which means it will not be reproduced.

So no book style for the box?

Just less metal parts? or the same mold as the latest Maia version?

And why show us old version (old mold) on their stand?

Interesting it's Gonna be all ABS plastic. If they've taken a look at their materials and revamped some tooling perhaps the crumbly hands and broken arms will no longer be an issue. Aesthetically there are sill issues with the toy in fighter mode... Still if mpc alphas didn't breeks like they did or held their arms up better I think collectors would love them. I half think the designs were meant to be plastics to begin with (pure speculation). I wish a good 3p company would tackle legioss in like a 1/40 or so scale ...1/55 is just too small IMO. It's a shame the cms version was kind of a mess too.

JoshB and I met with George Sohn in the Toynami show room at Toy Fair. We chatted for about an hour and he explained the new toys cost more because of increased prices for plastic versus what they were almost a decade ago. Also he wanted to change the toy so as not to interfere with the individual numbering of the original run and preserve their value. George said that Harmony Gold asked him to do another run of Mospeada toys for the RT 30th.

JoshB and I met with George Sohn in the Toynami show room at Toy Fair. We chatted for about an hour and he explained the new toys cost more because of increased prices for plastic versus what they were almost a decade ago. Also he wanted to change the toy so as not to interfere with the individual numbering of the original run and preserve their value. George said that Harmony Gold asked him to do another run of Mospeada toys for the RT 30th.

Did he mention any specific design changes besides the switch to all plastic?

Did you ask if they will use latest mold as the "Shadow Fighter Maia Version 2" ?

Does it matter? It's almost certainly vaporware and if it's not it won't be out for years. I also find his answers.... dubious.

exactly. material cost (plastic resin pellets and powders, fillers etc) is hardly a major driving factor of cost. also with crude oil is WAY back down...plastic prices should follow anyway. its disingenuous at best. if he were a better liar, he'd have blamed rising labor costs...because that is actually real. that being said...still doesn't justify the 2X price. the real driving factor for the selling price is target margins.

I will let Toynami disappoint with their offering... Perhaps after that has passed, people will be accepting of a 1/48 soldier--done MY way.

Do you think people really need to wait 6 years to realize it will be crap?

I don't care what they offer, a Captain 1/48th resin Legioss Soldier (that can have a slightly shortened nose cone since it will not transform) is tops on the want-list . . .

Well, I guess it was difficult for them to think of original art concept

I still have that original poster with the Robotech titles on the bottom.

Wasn't there something big Mospeada going to happen a while ago? I guess that got cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of crap Alphas how about finishing the Cyclones(RT)?!?! I mean the Maia never got a Beta, the Alphas crumbled if you exhaled too hard on a hand!! I liked the Mospeada run but I want the damn bikes!! The Stick and Ley were great! What about a Yellow and Fuke to finish that up! Then maybe they can re-address a re-issue!!

Instead of crap Alphas how about finishing the Cyclones(RT)?!?! I mean the Maia never got a Beta, the Alphas crumbled if you exhaled too hard on a hand!! I liked the Mospeada run but I want the damn bikes!! The Stick and Ley were great! What about a Yellow and Fuke to finish that up! Then maybe they can re-address a re-issue!!

Doubtful that we'll ever see any more Cyclones since Beagle, the company that actually made them, bit the dust. Does anyone know if any company managed to grab the molds after Beagle's demise, or have they been lost?

I love Mospeada and the Legioss and i have no interest in these Toynami re-releases.

One would think reaction and demand for this is going to be microscopic.

How about Toynami contacting Sentinel and getting them the Fuke RideArmor prototype parts to see what they could do?

If they managed that Fuke bike release, we would be 'crazed maniacs' shoving each other out of the way to pre-order them like they were cabbage patch kids . . .

Edited by DarrinG