If you want something great to look at that you will never touch, Toynami is the best.

If you want something you can actually pick up and handle, the Gakken Legioss is the best.

If you want something great to look and withstands handling, you will have to find the guy who made this:

f851be0e7c541e037a6d3fa091aea27e.jpg

Had to go looking for this, just looks ace. Found the rest of it here http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2008/01/

2008_0128_07.jpg

Those custom Gakken pics are spectacular.

Have wanted to pick up an old Gakken with hopes of trying that myself someday - but auction prices for good ones have remained very high.

Perhaps these pics floating around have helped keep those prices so steep . . .

Had to go looking for this, just looks ace. Found the rest of it here http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2008/01/

2008_0128_07.jpg

Thanks for finding that -- I remembered stumbling across that blog a while ago, but forgot how to access it... I just googled "custom Legioss" under Google's image search function. That guy also did a killer customization of a Gakken ride armor too. Really makes those old toys shine.

And as someone else mentioned, MW's Captain America did a killer Legioss as well, though I think that one is a model kit and not a toy. I would think it handles a bit more delicately as a result.

Edited by SuperSenpai

Wait, Captain American finished his Legioss? I was following that thread for a while and I don't recall it ever being finished.

Production went about in stages from late 2010 all through 2011. I had re-worked and added details that weren't there in the original 2001 sculpt, new composite joints, the whole 9 yards! Best. Legioss. Evar!

post-632-0-70425100-1406741810_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-84419400-1406741823_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-29136000-1406741846_thumb.jpg

The Mospeada market is pretty small - so we may not see many more releases for it.

As I transformed my Yamato VF-1s to pack them all up --- the materials, the tightness, the LITTLE TABS on the arms, calves that make them so solid in fighter mode --- made me weep they did not do a Legioss!

A truly modern -- CAD Produced, high quality material, Snap Tight -- Legioss and Tread would be awesome . . .

The Mospeada market is pretty small - so we may not see many more releases for it.

As I transformed my Yamato VF-1s to pack them all up --- the materials, the tightness, the LITTLE TABS on the arms, calves that make them so solid in fighter mode --- made me weep they did not do a Legioss!

A truly modern -- CAD Produced, high quality material, Snap Tight -- Legioss and Tread would be awesome . . .

Stop just stop. I wish but it will probably never happen. :(

We made may need to sweet talk Captain America or someone as talented to make some Ride-Armors of Fuke & Yellow, probably not going to see any major company make these anytime soon, though one can hope. I'll settle for non-variable Bike mode only and detail figures.

I feel for you guys. I'm cutting back on my collection now to make room for other stuff and it's Mospeada that got cut. I'm going to be sad to see my Scott MPC go.

We made may need to sweet talk Captain America or someone as talented to make some Ride-Armors of Fuke & Yellow, probably not going to see any major company make these anytime soon, though one can hope. I'll settle for non-variable Bike mode only and detail figures.

Given what transformation was like on both the Gakken and Beagle ride armors, either a bike mode and rider figure or a non-transformable armored figure seem like the most reasonable options. No way I'd wish the kind of hell it must be to design a transformable version on Cap on anyone else.

Given what transformation was like on both the Gakken and Beagle ride armors, either a bike mode and rider figure or a non-transformable armored figure seem like the most reasonable options. No way I'd wish the kind of hell it must be to design a transformable version on Cap on anyone else.

Agreed, the Gakken was relatively easy to transform where as the Beagle was so overly complicated it had an instruction booklet the size of the yellow pages. I honestly prefer the Ride-Armor in Bike mode anyways (Saddles bags of course), but if the Captain said sure I'll give this a swing for a Non-variable Bike and/or Soldier mode would be awesome!

Agreed, the Gakken was relatively easy to transform where as the Beagle was so overly complicated it had an instruction booklet the size of the yellow pages. I honestly prefer the Ride-Armor in Bike mode anyways (Saddles bags of course), but if the Captain said sure I'll give this a swing for a Non-variable Bike and/or Soldier mode would be awesome!

The Gakken was relatively complicated given the era... most transformable toys in the early to mid-80s were pretty simple affairs. And it was definitely too complicated for a child's toy. I've transformed mine a couple of times and I can't imagine handing this thing to a kid under 10 and expecting him to not break anything. I think that's part of the reason why it was considered a failure. It's not a bad transformation for an adult collector, but I don't think the adult collector market really existed back then -- at least not for transforming toys.

The Beagle ride armor is complicated, but I don't think it's overly complicated in the sense of being more complicated than it needs to be. The ride armor doesn't really have a design that lends itself to a straight-forward, intuitive transformation. It always struck me as the type of design where the major components can be easily identified in either mode, and therefore seems like it could work, but when you start working out the details you realize why they needed so much anime magic for the transformation. So given this, and also given that Beagle's intent was perfect transformation, I'd say their design is actually quite clever. If your goal is perfect transformation, there's no way a design like that is NOT going to be complicated.

Edited by SuperSenpai

I purchased 3 of my Gakken Ride-Armors in the early 90's before I graduated High School, a friend of mine in Los Angeles found a store selling them for $19.95 a piece, so I couldn't resist and the transformation threw me off a few times but then I mastered it, and for sure definitely not for a child to play with. And as far as a collectors market definitely not much one back then, All of my destroids, Inbits and SDF-1 were essentially given to me by guys who wanted to dump them.... they're loss, my gain!!

As for the Beagle, I have a tendency to exaggerate at times (My weird sense of humor) but the Beagle really is the first toy I ever owned that took forever to transform and twice I was for sure I was going to break it in the process, normally I never read the instructions but this one I did, though not a transformation fault the fact the Windscreen & seat never locked in place on mine bummed me out, unless it was on its stand she was impossible to play with. At east mine is loose as hell.

So if we just had some really detailed 1/10 Bike & Soldier mode kits, I'd be super stoked! B))

I started scratchbuilding the Gosu and one week later the Captain announced he was going to offer the same inbit mecha (it was a given after the gurab ant the gamo) :lol:

It's going to be very interesting comparing my version to John's Gosu. He is going to blow my gosu out of the water (he can do this in his sleep)

Some quick crapy phone pics late at night:

post-557-0-25221600-1407551495_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-00978000-1407551517_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-79303000-1407551529_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-47287600-1407551542_thumb.jpg