It's entirely possible that his 'ultimate fate,' to get wounded on the training cruise and then end up back on Talos IV, is his best future. I still think he can die at any time before then, but if he does not, if that future is immutable, then that is where he is going if he survives to that point.

Also, he doesn't seem to be the kind of man who would put others in danger merely because he believes himself to be 'bullet-proof.'  And if he makes a wrong decision on the bridge and the ship gets blowed up, he's not going to be drifting through space, unharmed and without a suit thinking, 'hmm, this is a pickle...' He'll be dead too.

As to when the accident happens, we do know his rank at the time. He's a Fleet Captain when it happens, though everything else, the actual time, the actual ship, the identity of the cadets, is a mystery.

As to his temperament, whether he is feeling sad for himself, most of the snippets seen, not the whole of the thing, obviously, is showing him as a rather good-natured, almost jovial, individual. If they happen to show him being sad for himself while thinking what may happen in the future, that's only normal. And, whether you like Disco or not, the show-runners went out  of their way to ensure that didn't happen to Michael by saving Book.

And, in the immortal words of Welsley from the Princess Bride, “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”

;)

Edited by Thom

I'm just happy that they've done away with the serial storytelling on this series and its back to episodic stories with a strange new world every week.  As such there are some stronger episodes and some weaker episodes.  Writing is always a problem, but its part of a larger generational outlook (I am one of the few that are over 50) and its at least a step in the right direction.

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Of course, try explaining that to JJ Abrams in Star Trek Into Darkness. Pike escaped alright....

... at first I was like "didn't he die, though?".  No, no that's what you meant. :rofl:

4 hours ago, Thom said:

It's entirely possible that his 'ultimate fate,' to get wounded on the training cruise and then end up back on Talos IV, is his best future. I still think he can die at any time before then, but if he does not, if that future is immutable, then that is where he is going if he survives to that point.

I guess it all depends on how much "timey wimey ball" you assume is in play.

The Klingons seem to take it as read that Pike is going to end up an overcooked burrito in a high-tech foil wrapper no matter what.  They were pretty clear that, if he takes the time crystal, that is how he's guaranteed to check out.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I can imagine Klingon microwave ovens! The instructions for using them must be utterly dire!

Considering the Klingons canonically weaponize basically everything in their daily lives, I can only imagine the Klingon microwave likely has a suspicious amount in common with a disruptor pistol.

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I can imagine Klingon microwave ovens! The instructions for using them must be utterly dire!

Reminds me of an Impractical Joker skit where Sal was trying to sell a microwave that cooks food on the outside. That I could see the Klingons doing.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I guess it all depends on how much "timey wimey ball" you assume is in play.

I'm assuming that just enough 'timey wimey' ball is in play!😄

Edited by Thom

23 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I'm just happy that they've done away with the serial storytelling on this series and its back to episodic stories with a strange new world every week.  As such there are some stronger episodes and some weaker episodes.  Writing is always a problem, but its part of a larger generational outlook (I am one of the few that are over 50) and its at least a step in the right direction.

This is why I've started a rewatch of Stargate SG-1.  Overarching plot but every episode they're on a strange new world.  So much fun.

Hopefully this will be fun too.  

Where should I be looking for Macross in Foundation?  I'm only 1 episode in but it's so beautifully shot I'm not paying attention to background easter eggs.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, wm cheng said:

I actually kinda hate that among modern TV. Limited/single run serial series is fine, but full 20-some episode recurring seasons? No. You can use plot points of previous episodes or an overarching plot, but there are times I DO NOT want to sit through an entire 10-20-some serial episode season just to reach what can be a disappointing finale. "But what about the Journey...?" In my youth, I could sit through it, but not as I get older and when I have less time; I gotta break it up into episodic watching.

I'm the opposite, mostly.  I'm tired of shows having to "reset" back to status quo at the end of every episode.  TV budgets make for lousy movies.  Though a fully thought out season where the writers know how the characters should evolve while being able to write otherwise independent stories is nice as well.

57 minutes ago, Thom said:

SG-1 had a good formula. Individual episodes that had an overarching plot throughout the entire season. Same with Babylon 5. Looks like they'll be doing the same here, which would make me happy.

DS9 also did it well—especially in the latter seasons.

I'm also in the middle of an SG-1 rewatch.  I think one of the many things that SG-1 got right was the chemistry between the cast.  Hopefully, SNW has also done that.

However, one of the other big draws of SG-1 is all the on-location filming they did of Vancouver and the lower mainland, which is where I'm from (more or less).  One wonders if SNW will do the same for Toronto/Southern Ontario.  ;)

FWIW, I found DS9 to be about the ideal blend of serialized and episodic storytelling in its last four seasons.

If Strange New Worlds can manage about that level of balance between the two, it'll be doing better than the other offerings by quite a bit right out of the gate.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dangard Ace said:

Where should I be looking for Macross in Foundation?  I'm only 1 episode in but it's so beautifully shot I'm not paying attention to background easter eggs.

Hey @Dangard Ace - I designed the Imperial FTL ship, look for it on surface details and engine details as well as the interior set with the beds.  I also did the hovercar on Trantor (they flew me out to London to supervise some of the construction and I saw the Dune Ornithopters there as well as some landspeeders for Star Wars - very cool!).  I also designed the Raven interiors only (probably my best work to date - other than Pacific Rim conn pods) which comes up in later episodes (but only 2 I believe :().  I did Beggar's Lament exteriors and there's always the Macross vernier thrusters everywhere (hard to sneak it into Star Trek 😛) as well as the exterior of the Invictus.  I designed the interiors and bridge too, but they ran out of money and severely cut it back to the point where I don't really consider it close to the original design anymore.

Awesome, thanks!  Gonna print that out and look for that Easter weekend.  Probably going to binge watch Foundation then.  

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Hey @Dangard Ace - I designed the Imperial FTL ship, look for it on surface details and engine details as well as the interior set with the beds.  I also did the hovercar on Trantor (they flew me out to London to supervise some of the construction and I saw the Dune Ornithopters there as well as some landspeeders for Star Wars - very cool!).  I also designed the Raven interiors only (probably my best work to date - other than Pacific Rim conn pods) which comes up in later episodes (but only 2 I believe :().  I did Beggar's Lament exteriors and there's always the Macross vernier thrusters everywhere (hard to sneak it into Star Trek 😛) as well as the exterior of the Invictus.  I designed the interiors and bridge too, but they ran out of money and severely cut it back to the point where I don't really consider it close to the original design anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of unsurprised that, in the wake of the Kirk announcement, they've had to trot Anson Mount out for a few interviews to assure fans that he's not going to be a one-season wonder like Lorca.

Looks great, getting strong Voyager vibes here and nice upbeat intro music evoking that adventure/exploration feeling.

Also didn't think expect them to go for the full starting monologue and with better wording to boot (no ONE has... vs. no MAN has...). That gets a thumbs up from me.

49 minutes ago, lechuck said:

Also didn't think expect them to go for the full starting monologue and with better wording to boot (no ONE has... vs. no MAN has...). That gets a thumbs up from me.

That's been "no one" since Next Generation. Not a new change.

37 minutes ago, tekering said:

The grammar issue is with the split infinitive "boldly go..." (which should be "go boldly..." of course). 😉

To boldly split infinitives no man has split before?

29 minutes ago, JB0 said:

That's been "no one" since Next Generation. Not a new change.

Yes, I know that – the point being that they went with TNG tweak instead of reusing the more antiquated wording of TOS.

34 minutes ago, tekering said:

The grammar issue is with the split infinitive "boldly go..." (which should be "go boldly..." of course). 😉

haha - good one :) Quick, somebody do the monologue in Yoda-speak.

Liking the intro! Good use of the old theme, rather than just a few notes at the end, and with some nice energy to it. Also, beauty shots aplenty of the gray lady!

As to the 'No One,' I think it's fine. Don't really care either way. But I think it is based on people taking 'Man' too literally as a gender specifier, rather than what it was used as, as in 'the race of Man,' Or at least, that's how I've always taken it as. Saying, 'where no one has gone before,' discounts the aliens they will meet who, obviously, have already been there.

Edited by Thom

16 minutes ago, Thom said:

Liking the intro! Good use of the old theme, rather than just a few notes at the end, and with some nice energy to it. Also, beauty shots aplenty of the gray lady!

As to the 'No One,' I think it's fine. Don't really care either way. But I think it is based on people taking 'Man' too literally as a gender specifier, rather than what it was used as, as in 'the race of Man,' Or at least, that's how I've always taken it as. Saying, 'where no one has gone before,' discounts the aliens they will meet who, obviously, have already been there.

Right; last I checked, "mankind" hasn't been pc'd to death yet...

37 minutes ago, Thom said:

Yup... "man" used without an article is a gender-neutral term.  It's derived from mann, proto-Germanic for "person" and passed into Old English with the same meaning.

Well, if nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how they screw this one up.

I want to be optimistic and hope this series will succeed and convince the others to course-correct back towards Star Trek's core themes of a better, brighter future... but I have a nasty suspicion this'll devolve into another wannabe space action movie.