11 hours ago, TET said:

Yeah, repairs in-process!😁 Did you have any problems?

Naw...just missed seeing you post here bro! :)

As for SNW: I'm hoping it will somehow redeem itself, but fearful that they'll bungle it in the same ways as DISC and PIC. A lot of times, I have to agree with Seto Kaiba, but I do hope we're wrong on this.

11 hours ago, azrael said:

He is Andorian...more appropriately, an Andorian sub-species called Aenar; Andorians from the northern regions who are traditionally blind and telepathic.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification! Still not bitter then!πŸ˜€

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Naw...just missed seeing you post here bro! :)

As for SNW: I'm hoping it will somehow redeem itself, but fearful that they'll bungle it in the same ways as DISC and PIC. A lot of times, I have to agree with Seto Kaiba, but I do hope we're wrong on this.

I am straight-up counting on them bungling it... I've been burned too many times by this mess to be optimistic anymore.

Β 

5 hours ago, TET said:

Ah! Thanks for the clarification! Still not bitter then!πŸ˜€

They made their debut back inΒ Star Trek: Enterprise's fourth season, when the show was finally starting to Grow the Beard but unfortunately got canned before it could finish.

It's rather interesting to see what appears to be an Aenar in a Starfleet uniform given that the Aenar are blind albino telepaths who firmly believe in pacifism.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

In the 'trailer' Hemmer does say that (paraphrasing) his main strength is 'fixing things.' And seeing how Enterprise is pretty much just an armed, deep space exploration vessel, I wouldn't assume that would be too much of a problem.

40 minutes ago, Thome said:

In the 'trailer' Hemmer does say that (paraphrasing) his main strength is 'fixing things.' And seeing how Enterprise is pretty much just an armed, deep space exploration vessel, I wouldn't assume that would be too much of a problem.

It was too much of a problem for the Aenar back inΒ Star Trek: Enterprise.

They flatly refused to assist Earth Starfleet and the Andorian Imperial Guard in tracking down the unmanned (Romulan) ship that'd destroyed theΒ KumariΒ and numerous other ships because they were that opposed to being even peripherally involved in violence against an inanimate object.Β  The only reason one eventually agreed to help was because she was something of a nonconformist and wanted to rescue her brother, who she believed was being coerced into piloting the unmanned ship remotely.

Now, cultural values can change... but considering that isolationism and a total commitment to pacifism were the Aenar's cultural "hat", it seems unlikely that they'd give it up even a century later.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They flatly refused to assist Earth Starfleet and the Andorian Imperial Guard in tracking down the unmanned (Romulan) ship that'd destroyed theΒ KumariΒ and numerous other ships because they were that opposed to being even peripherally involved in violence against an inanimate object.Β  The only reason one eventually agreed to help was because she was something of a nonconformist and wanted to rescue her brother, who she believed was being coerced into piloting the unmanned ship remotely.

Now, cultural values can change... but considering that isolationism and a total commitment to pacifism were the Aenar's cultural "hat", it seems unlikely that they'd give it up even a century later.

Well, as you say, values change, and that one woman may have been only the first of a trend, and a lot can change in a century. We'll see how SNW handlesΒ  it.

17 minutes ago, Thome said:

Well, as you say, values change, and that one woman may have been only the first of a trend, and a lot can change in a century. We'll see how SNW handlesΒ  it.

We'll have to wait and see... but it is worth remembering thatΒ Star Trek's alien races all have a "hat" - that one defining cultural characteristic - and that it's practically unheard-of for one ofΒ Star Trek's alien races to change their "hat".Β  The one real deviation that wasn'd portrayed as just a strange nonconformist individual was whenΒ Discovery's writers suffered a critical research failure and referred to the Andorians as cold and stoic instead of what they'd always been as "paradoxically hotblooded ice world guy" opposite the Vulcans being "paradoxically cold and unfeeling desert world guy".Β  When a character defies their species "hat" it's usually a sign something is deeply wrong... like Alexander not wanting to be a warrior despite the Klingon default being Proud Warrior Race Guy, or Leck, the Ferengi eliminator who not only enjoyed violence but was uninterested in profit.

(It's a well-enough known bit that evenΒ Lower DecksΒ openly pokes fun at it, with the Orion Tendi protesting that "Many Orions haven't been space pirates in over five years!")

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is it possible that there was an event (such as a war or pandemic) that caused them to have to reconsider their stance?

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

Is it possible that there was an event (such as a war or pandemic) that caused them to have to reconsider their stance?

If there were a war, the Aenar probably wouldn't exist... there were only a few thousand of them in the mid-2150s.

Maybe he's half-Aenar half-regular Andorian, like Shran's daughter?

3 hours ago, Thome said:

Wowza! Everyone would be wondering why I am always in sick bay!

I'd say keep your pants on, but she's a bedside/surgical nurse and probably seen it all...Guess we're past the "Hello Nurse!" stage here... 🀨

While I am undeniably happy to see Anson Mount back in the center seat, I feel like it's not particularly congruous that heΒ knowsΒ when, where, and how he will be incapacitated yet he claims it's making him hesitate?Β  He basically knows he's bulletproof, predestined to meet a very specific fate at a very specific time and place.Β  If anything, the knowledge that fate refuses to let him end any other way should make him overconfident.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

It's still probably best of he doesn't try walking across on-coming traffic. Just because he knows his ultimate fate, doesn't mean that he can't die sooner if he does something different.

Personally, I'd like to see him escape his fate. I know canon has him being crippled and confined to a chair only to end up back at Talos IV, but does that have to remain his end if they are redoing TOS?

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Personally, I'd like to see him escape his fate. I know canon has him being crippled and confined to a chair only to end up back at Talos IV, but does that have to remain his end if they are redoing TOS?

I feel like that's a bad idea.

It is a powerful statement about who Pike is that he would dive into an extremely dangerous situation to save others, and it is more powerful if he does so with full knowledge of what it will condemn him to.Β 

Throwing a "get out of jail free" card onto the pile afterwards undermines that statement.Β 

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

If they do manage to find a convincing way for him to not suffer that fate, I would be for it, however...

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

I feel like that's a bad idea.

It is a powerful statement about who Pike is that he would dive into an extremely dangerous situation to save others, and it is more powerful if he does so with full knowledge of what it will condemn him to.Β 

Throwing a "get out of jail free" card onto the pile afterwards undermines that statement.Β 

...this is true as well. It's like Book being given back by the 10C when I think he really should have died in order to keep the weight of the story.

And really, is it such a bad fate? In the end, after a long and illustrious career, he ends up on a world defined only by the limits of the imagination, with the woman he loves. That's not half bad.

12 hours ago, Thom said:

It's still probably best of he doesn't try walking across on-coming traffic. Just because he knows his ultimate fate, doesn't mean that he can't die sooner if he does something different.

There's the thing... inΒ Star Trek: Discovery's second season, it was made clear to Pike (and the audience) that if he took the *gags* "time crystal" on Boreth the future he saw when he touched it would be immutable.Β  His destiny is written.Β  His fate preordained.

In theory, this means Christopher Pike is practically bulletproof.Β  He can't die or even suffer an untreatably severe injury because the timeline says But Thou Must! on the matter of him surviving to lead that disastrous training mission that leaves him a vegetable in a spacefuture iron lung.

Β 

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I don't think they're redoing TOS... they tried that once already and it got crucified by the fans.Β  This is just another ill-advised prequel.

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There's the thing... inΒ Star Trek: Discovery's second season, it was made clear to Pike (and the audience) that if he took the *gags* "time crystal" on Boreth the future he saw when he touched it would be immutable.Β  His destiny is written.Β  His fate preordained.

In theory, this means Christopher Pike is practically bulletproof.Β  He can't die or even suffer an untreatably severe injury because the timeline says But Thou Must! on the matter of him surviving to lead that disastrous training mission that leaves him a vegetable in a spacefuture iron lung.

Β 

I don't think they're redoing TOS... they tried that once already and it got crucified by the fans.Β  This is just another ill-advised prequel.

Hmmm....

*wonders what a 20 lb sledge hammer and that crystal would net Pike...*

49 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Hmmm....

*wonders what a 20 lb sledge hammer and that crystal would net Pike...*

He'd have to get the crystal back first... that was what was powering Burnham's imitation-brand Iron Man armor, meaning she took it 800+ years into the future when she left.

I'm so glad there's so much positive buzz here on ST SNW!Β  It really is different from Discovery.Β  Some of you know I've been working in film for a long while and love to pepper Macross influences into everything I do.Β  Just wanted to let you know that I'm the VFX Art Director on the 2nd season of this show and its not like Disco at all!Β  I was offered Disco a few years ago but smart enough to stay away.Β  Can't give anything away because of NDA, but the cast is great on this.Β 

Now everyone go out to see Foundation (Apple+) and The Boys (Amazon) season 3 airs June 3rd to support me :p

8 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I'm so glad there's so much positive buzz here on ST SNW!Β  It really is different from Discovery.Β  Some of you know I've been working in film for a long while and love to pepper Macross influences into everything I do.Β  Just wanted to let you know that I'm the VFX Art Director on the 2nd season of this show and its not like Disco at all!Β  I was offered Disco a few years ago but smart enough to stay away.Β  Can't give anything away because of NDA, but the cast is great on this.Β 

Now everyone go out to see Foundation (Apple+) and The Boys (Amazon) season 3 airs June 3rd to support me :p

That's really awesome, and as a fellow Canadian i'm super happy for you.Β  At the same time, Doug Drexler has been similarly promoting Season 2 of Picard and swearing up and down that it wasn't like Season 1, and for fans to give it a shot.Β  We now know how that turned out...

I really, really want to believe you, I really do.Β  I'll definitely watch the first few eps just because i'm a huge Anson Mount fan and his Pike was the only good thing about Discovery s2, but I am not going into this series with any high hopes or expectations.Β  STD, Picard, Lower Decks etc have burned my optimism too badly (I NEVER thought i'd miss Berman and Braga, yet here we are).Β 

That said, i'm really curious to see how they will address Pike knowing about his future.Β  Like Seto Kaiba said, the fact that they revealed Pike's fate to him and that he still remembers basically puts him in godmode - he can't be seriously hurt or killed and he knows it.Β  Will they reveal that his fate can be changed after all?Β  I'd love it if they do, and keep him (and the audience) in a constant will they/won't they guessing game.Β  I'd also be completely fine with him not getting Vader'd.Β  I don't really consider any of Kurtzman Trek to be canon anyway, and i'd have no issues with this being an alternate timelime or something.Β Β 

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I think the reason he's hesitant is that he doesn't know what situation(s) will put him aboard that ship and trigger that destiny. Potentially, he may feel that any specific mission may have him recalled to a Starfleet base and thus end up on a training mission aboard an old J-class starship. I think he's trying to be careful and if he "sees it coming", he may feel he can put the brakes on before the train goes over the chasm, as so to speak.

Maybe delay it until he's at the point where he's a bit too old anyways for further adventures?

We, the audience knows the particulars of Pike's fate. But the character, Pike, doesn't. He doesn't know which J-class starship or which cadets he will be working with, what the training mission is. And maybe when that day finally comes he thinks he can beat fate when it happens.Β 

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I think the reason he's hesitant is that he doesn't know what situation(s) will put him aboard that ship and trigger that destiny. Potentially, he may feel that any specific mission may have him recalled to a Starfleet base and thus end up on a training mission aboard an old J-class starship. I think he's trying to be careful and if he "sees it coming", he may feel he can put the brakes on before the train goes over the chasm, as so to speak.

Maybe delay it until he's at the point where he's a bit too old anyways for further adventures?

It was a training cruise... not the sort of thing you get assigned to out of the blue.

Moreover, he seemed to have at least a vague idea ofΒ whenΒ too, at least inΒ Discovery.

Β 

Meh... I'm just tired of this modernΒ Star TrekΒ and its unrelenting misery.Β  Nobody gets to be happy or have any kind of a fulfilling life.Β  Everybody has to be broken and depressed, living with some kind of terrible trauma that causes them to seclude themselves from the rest of the galaxy and wait to die.Β  The whole reason Pike stood out onΒ DiscoveryΒ was that he was the only one around who wasn't a damaged, self-loathing soul wallowing in misery with people he hated.Β  This world sucks enough as it is, let us have a happier future at least in fiction, y'know?