• 6 months later...

Glad to here it as well. I’ll admit I am slightly concerned though that this show will go “off the rails” so to speak and follow the “Discovery formula”. I just have the feeling is all, truly hope I’m wrong. 

Chris

I hope you're wrong too!:D But so far, SNW has been a better show for its first season than all of Disco's three, with better stories and acting and far better reception, so hopefully, they'll leave the formulas 'as is.'

Edited by Thom

51 minutes ago, Thom said:

I hope you're wrong too!:D But so far, SNW has been a better show for its first season than all of Disco's three, with better stories and acting and far better reception, so hopefully, they'll leave the formulas 'as is.'

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Just a nagging feeling. Maybe because it still has some of the things that do bug me about the latest editions of Trek, though thankfully to a much lesser extent, like the back talking subordinates or the oversized sets. Pikes quarters are cool and all but a bit too extravagant IMO. Just little reminders of Discovery that make me fear they sucked us in with the first season and then will “pull the rug out from under us” and go full on “agenda” driven like Discovery. If so and that’s anyones thing, good for them. It’s just not for me. Fingers crossed. 

Chris

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Agreed. This and Lower Decks are also the only two series from the latest generation that I’m picking up on physical media. 

Same here…though Picard season 3 will likely be got too unless they really screw up the last few episodes. 

Chris

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Same here…though Picard season 3 will likely be got too unless they really screw up the last few episodes. 

Chris

That’s good to read about season 3. I hope you’re right, @Dobber. I might give Picard another chance if the show found its groove, but I have been on a long pause after the first season.

10 hours ago, technoblue said:

That’s good to read about season 3. I hope you’re right, @Dobber. I might give Picard another chance if the show found its groove, but I have been on a long pause after the first season.

I don’t blame you for that at all. I couldn’t bring myself to watch the whole first season and struggled through the second. I didn’t plan on watching this season but some of the reviewers that I like and generally agree with said they really liked season 3, as they got early access to it, so I gave it a shot. Is it perfect, no…far from it, but it feels more like Trek to me overall. The characters are behaving more like you would expect them to with some new interesting ones added as well. Nice ship designs and some good call backs (for me anyway). It’s too bad this wasn’t where the series started from. Hope you like it when you watch, but as with everything, not everyone will like the same things and there is nothing wrong with that. 😉

Chris

On 3/29/2023 at 7:17 AM, Dobber said:

Maybe because it still has some of the things that do bug me about the latest editions of Trek, though thankfully to a much lesser extent, like the back talking subordinates or the oversized sets. Pikes quarters are cool and all but a bit too extravagant IMO.

Hey, they've gotta come up with some way to use all that extra internal space the Enterprise acquired.  Starfleet must have made contact with Gallifrey and acquired TARDIS technology. :lol:

Scale shenaniganry aside, I do have to give them credit for their handling of the visual update of the original TOS design.  It's the first new starship design I really wanted a model of in quite some time.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hey, they've gotta come up with some way to use all that extra internal space the Enterprise acquired.  Starfleet must have made contact with Gallifrey and acquired TARDIS technology. :lol:

Scale shenaniganry aside, I do have to give them credit for their handling of the visual update of the original TOS design.  It's the first new starship design I really wanted a model of in quite some time.

That's one thing I don't like, the spacious cruise ship style quarters. With a fire place! I know they have him doing informal dinners and all that room comes in handy, but I would have preferred a formal dining room just off the ship's galley with a full kitchen to use. Kirk's TOS quarters are for more realistic. But that's just a small quibble.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I guess we’re gonna retcon the Klingon race again….

The klingon cosmetics change so frequently that I'm more surprised when they DON'T.

At this point I'm almost willing to call it intentional, that klingon genetics are canonically unstable and cause major cosmetic differences to manifest within a generation.

21 hours ago, azrael said:

They actually got Klingons to look like Klingons. Was that so hard? But one minor gripe...they should have LESS forehead ridges during this time. LESS

Same here. Actually, if they looked liked the Klingons from TOS, humans with heavy make-up, it would not be a problem. We already have a good in-universe explanation for the look of the Klingons between TOS and TMP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 1:07 PM, sh9000 said:

FBF8946A-C584-42C9-90A6-4EBFC4869607.jpeg.9aca77a0762dbeea50e808a0d40cea4e.jpeg

Season 2 trailer.

In this poster, Chapel is black and white with no color at all; makes me wonder if the character/ actor is departing....

Edited by pengbuzz

On 4/20/2023 at 10:27 AM, Thom said:

Same here. Actually, if they looked liked the Klingons from TOS, humans with heavy make-up, it would not be a problem. We already have a good in-universe explanation for the look of the Klingons between TOS and TMP.

A plausible explanation: Klingons possess adaptive evolution as part of their genetic makeup, designed to adapt to adverse conditions so they can fight in any environment. Takes a generation to show up, but guarantees they can hold wherever they invade.

Strange New Worlds season one finally dropped on home video and digital library the other day, so I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and watch it properly.

All I can think, as I watch the first episode on a proper home theater system is... why couldn't the arseholes running Star Trek these days have put this level of effort into the other two shows?  Third time lucky, I guess, but it just leaves me wondering why Discovery and Picard tallied six seasons of pure garbage and one of pure fanwank between them if the writers, directors, and showrunners were capable of this all along.  I guess the stars just weren't right.

It's amazing what a difference swapping misery and bitterness for optimism has done for what is technically a Star Trek: Discovery spinoff.  If they'd just done away with the few little nods to Discovery you could almost forget there was any relation.

Well, yesterday I realize a childhood dream of mine with the premier of Star Trek Strange New Worlds.  Ever since grade 2 I've always wanted to design a Federation Starship and see it on screen when I first saw Star Trek TOS.  I finally got my chance with the season 2 opening last night.  I wanted to re-design the Enterprise as a kid, but it was shooting the Enterprise and got destroyed by it - ah close enough!  They stuck pretty close to my design SketchUp model and even the establisher was pretty close to my concept art too (just they did it too dark as always!).  I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!  This is what I'm doing when I can't build Macross models 😛

SNW2_A06_False Federation Ship in Cave_EXT_ep201_v04_Sc01_WC_20220120_resize.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-16h43m19s367.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-16h51m25s307.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-16h53m16s594.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-16h55m06s899.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-16h57m06s256.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-16-17h00m11s978.png