1 hour ago, azrael said:

Episode 10 (season finale)

Hide contents

Interesting what-if take on "Balance of Terror". Interesting to see Pike's take vs what Kirk did.

Now to see how much longer Ms. Romijn/Number One will stick around. Nice that we get some closure on 2 threads (M'Benga's daughter, and now Number One's heritage coming to light). She'll be back for Season 2...but after that...🤷‍♂️

I'm impressed with SNW after this season. Hopefully they continue. I'm still pissed about Hemmer. They better NOT bring in Scotty. It ain't time to bring him in. Not till we get Kirk's tenure as captain of Enterprise.

I agree with your sentiments. Very happy with this season and I absolutely LOVED this episode. 

Spoiler

When Future Pike showed up in the Movie style Uniform I just got a huge grin on my face that continued through the N when I realized they were doing an alternate take on Balance of Terror that was just Icing on the cake. Loved the nodes to that original episode with the music and the light across the eyes effect etc. 

We finally got to see the U.S.S. Farragut too. Cool little SNW (TOS) style Miranda class design. Curious to see how Wesley will do as Kirk. He’s in a tough spot as while he should put his own take on Kirk it should still feel like Shatners portrayal to some extent. I didn’t get that in this episode…though it was technically an alternate timeline.  Don’t get me wrong, Paul Wesley did a fine job acting as a character, I just didn’t really get James T Kirk vibes from him.  Pine was able to do that to some exten, though he did have a movie dedicated to his character to work in. 

I’m really looking forward to more Strange New Worlds as this season was really strong overall for me and I’m a very happy Trekkie again. :)

Edited by Dobber

Spoiler

Great episode!  It really tugged on the heartstrings, seeing hope for Pike and then realizing that it couldn't happen.  It took me a minute to figure out they were purposefully mimicking the dialogue, directing and visual style of the TOS episode, which I loved.   Also Scotty!  One thing though, now that Pike knows he shouldn't have hesitated to blast the Romulans, couldn't he have just done that and still sent the letter?  Or would Spock still croak?

Not to be a stickler, but the Farragut was one of the 12 Constitution class starships that were made, so she should have looked like the Enterprise.  I wonder if the producers got the Peregrine and the Farragut names mixed up in post?  For a series that is so intent on sticking to continuity it's a pretty big miss imho.  I loved the Farragut design though. 

Finally, I really appreciate the tough challenge Paul Wesley had, and he did a decent job, but every time I saw him on screen I was reminded of this: 

He just does not give off a Kirk vibe.  Chris Pine was a way better casting decision, and I wasn't even that sold on him to begin with.  I wish they could have gotten someone to look more like a young Shatner.  I know he's supposed to show up in Season 2, but I really can't see him as James T. Kirk, and I don't think there's anything he can do to change my mind sadly. 

Soooo good, I had to watch Balance of Terror again!!!  Definitely my favourite season 1 SNW episode so far!

Edited by wm cheng

5 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Soooo good, I had to watch Balance of Terror again!!!  Definitely my favourite season 1 SNW episode so far!

Did the same thing and agree. 😁

Chris

9 hours ago, Magnus said:
  Hide contents

Great episode!  It really tugged on the heartstrings, seeing hope for Pike and then realizing that it couldn't happen.  It took me a minute to figure out they were purposefully mimicking the dialogue, directing and visual style of the TOS episode, which I loved.   Also Scotty!  One thing though, now that Pike knows he shouldn't have hesitated to blast the Romulans, couldn't he have just done that and still sent the letter?  Or would Spock still croak?

Not to be a stickler, but the Farragut was one of the 12 Constitution class starships that were made, so she should have looked like the Enterprise.  I wonder if the producers got the Peregrine and the Farragut names mixed up in post?  For a series that is so intent on sticking to continuity it's a pretty big miss imho.  I loved the Farragut design though. 

Finally, I really appreciate the tough challenge Paul Wesley had, and he did a decent job, but every time I saw him on screen I was reminded of this: 

He just does not give off a Kirk vibe.  Chris Pine was a way better casting decision, and I wasn't even that sold on him to begin with.  I wish they could have gotten someone to look more like a young Shatner.  I know he's supposed to show up in Season 2, but I really can't see him as James T. Kirk, and I don't think there's anything he can do to change my mind sadly. 

Spoiler

As to Pike knowing the future and so why not change his approach  Future Pike said Spock dies in all futures except the Prime one. I’m guessing regardless of a war with Romulans starting at that moment, the fact that Key players are not were they need/should be… ie Spock and Kirk… Galactic events will turn out drastically different.

Edited by Dobber

17 hours ago, Magnus said:
  Hide contents

Amuck time.

Spoiler

All Pike did was write a few letters telling some kids to stay away from a certain ship at a certain time, after which he was never hurt, never left the Enterprise, Kirk never joined the crew, staying on Farragut and leaving the wrong man at the wrong time in the wrong situation and seven years of warfare. That's a lot to happen just because he made a 'minor' change. He was shown that there is no telling where the tapestry is going to unravel even when pulling such a small thread.

Which, I think, is a better lesson than the End Game version, where 'this is the only future in which something something happens, so you only have one chance to get it right!' Though there is a personal price in making someone else take on his future, I think showing Pike that even one small change could change everything would have been enough. 

That aside, I loved the end scene when he goes to the bridge and you can just see him taking it all in and just appreciating what he had right then.

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Amuck time.

Hide contents

All Pike did was write a few letters telling some kids to stay away from a certain ship at a certain time, after which he was never hurt, never left the Enterprise, Kirk never joined the crew, staying on Farragut and leaving the wrong man at the wrong time in the wrong situation and seven years of warfare. That's a lot to happen just because he made a 'minor' change. He was shown that there is no telling where the tapestry is going to unravel even when pulling such a small thread.

Which, I think, is a better lesson than the End Game version, where 'this is the only future in which something something happens, so you only have one chance to get it right!' Though there is a personal price in making someone else take on his future, I think showing Pike that even one small change could change everything would have been enough. 

That aside, I loved the end scene when he goes to the bridge and you can just see him taking it all in and just appreciating what he had right then.

I think there's more to this thread which maybe explored as the series moves on.

Spoiler

Spock dying in all other timelines may be the most significant consequence. But I think it ripples down. From the looks of it, Sam Kirk lives but he maybe he doesn't meet his wife and never has children, never leaves Starfleet to settle down Deneva, etc. Maybe Pike, in that alternate time, never fights for Number One and instead resigning or leaving Starfleet on her own accord, was left in confinement. It's essentially a butterfly effect.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

I think there's more to this thread which maybe explored as the series moves on.

Hide contents

Spock dying in all other timelines may be the most significant consequence. But I think it ripples down. From the looks of it, Sam Kirk lives but he maybe he doesn't meet his wife and never has children, never leaves Starfleet to settle down Deneva, etc. Maybe Pike, in that alternate time, never fights for Number One and instead resigning or leaving Starfleet on her own accord, was left in confinement. It's essentially a butterfly effect.

Spoiler

Plus without Kirk on the Enterprise think of all the things he and his crew accomplished that will never be done now. The Doomsday machine, the Whale probe, V’ger, Kitomer, etc.

I read on another forum that there would be some form of crossover type thing with LD being live action and SNW animated or something, maybe this is what that was referring too. The LD voice cast can easily play their characters IRL. That would be interesting to see.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Thom said:

I actually wish that patterning on the shoulders and down the sleeves had not been there. That uniform did not need the embellishment, and was actually a bit of a distraction from the SQUEE-moment of seeing Pike in a post-TWoK uniform!

100% agree and thought the same thing. Sometimes they just can’t help themselves and overdo things.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Also announced yesterday, our new chief engineer:

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS Adds Carol Kane as New Engineer and Shares Season 2 Tease

...Legendary actress and comedian Carol Kane is joining the crew as a new engineer. Her character’s name is Pelia. Kane is known for her decades-long acting career, which includes roles from a metric ton of TV series—and, of course, The Princess Bride. So, is Pelia replacing the dearly departed Lt. Hemmer as Chief Engineer? It sure seems likely. We have our first look at Kane in her Starfleet uniform above...