And I'm alight with that. In our own Navy, officers can command one ship and then be transferred, and be only an exec on the next, larger ship. In fact, that's probably very common. And who knows, it could be that Kirk could do something so bad that he ends up being demoted. Third season could see him coming to the Enterprise to be mentored by Pike in order to get back onto the fast track. 

I'm even more interested now to see what they're going to do.

And as an aside, it's so nice to be able to talk about this show. On another forum, that shall no be named, this topic has been opened and locked three times because certain people can't control themselves. So this is refreshing!😄

Edited by Thom

20 minutes ago, Thom said:

And I'm alight with that. In our own Navy, officers can command one ship and then be transferred, and be only an exec on the next, larger ship. In fact, that's probably very common. And who knows, it could be that Kirk could do something so bad that he ends up being demoted. Third season could see him coming to the Enterprise to be mentored by Pike in order to get back onto the fast track. 

I'm even more interested now to see what they're going to do.

We'll have to see what happens; keep in mind that Pike was promoted well before he was crippled. So, we may see him promoted and Kirk take command after all. But it will be interesting indeed!

20 minutes ago, Thom said:

And as an aside, it's so nice to be able to talk about this show. On another forum, that shall no be named, this topic has been opened and locked three times because certain people can't control themselves. So this is refreshing!😄

Just wow. I guess some folks out there just can't behave themselves, huh? :p

The problem with Kirk being on the show is it is a gimmick.  MAYBE if it were the last show of the last season and Kirk is given command then.  (I don't keep enough track of the timeline, then again the showrunners don't either, so I don't know how long after Pike was in command of Enterprise that Kirk was given command)

19 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The problem with Kirk being on the show is it is a gimmick.  MAYBE if it were the last show of the last season and Kirk is given command then.  (I don't keep enough track of the timeline, then again the showrunners don't either, so I don't know how long after Pike was in command of Enterprise that Kirk was given command)

It shows a lack of confidence in the series and the franchise... they're still leaning on established characters rather than develop their own.

(Also, shouldn't Jim Kirk be on the Farragut in 2258?)

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, they could always invite Scott Bakula to guest star as Jonathan Archer. :p

Assuming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds picks up approximately where Star Trek: Discovery season two ended in 2258, Jonathan Archer would be 146 years old... and 13 years dead.

(Production materials for Star Trek: Enterprise revealed that Jonathan Archer passed away in 2245, the day after he attended Starfleet's christening of the USS Enterprise.)

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Assuming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds picks up approximately where Star Trek: Discovery season two ended in 2258, Jonathan Archer would be 146 years old... and 13 years dead.

(Production materials for Star Trek: Enterprise revealed that Jonathan Archer passed away in 2245, the day after he attended Starfleet's christening of the USS Enterprise.)

I was thinking a flashback to the Enterprise's launch day; I think it would be a good coda for Archer. T'Pol would still be alive as well, I think.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I was thinking a flashback to the Enterprise's launch day; I think it would be a good coda for Archer. T'Pol would still be alive as well, I think.

IMO, if they're going to reference the NX-01 Enterprise and her crew, it's probably better to stick to file photos.

Spoiler

Not just because of fan ambivalence towards Enterprise... but also because that is inherently pretty dark considering what we know of the eventual fates of many of the crew of the NX-01.

Archer is dying when he attends the Enterprise's christening, and dies less than 24 hours later.  Tucker's been dead for almost a century.  Sato's about a year away from being murdered in Governor Kodos's mass executions on Tarsus IV.  Reed, in some material, was seriously ill with transporter-induced genetic damage by the 2170s (and may have been one of the first victims of transporter psychosis).  Etc. Etc.

FWIW, I think they'd be better off flashing back to the transfer of command where Captain April stepped down and handed the Enterprise to Captain Pike.

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IMO, if they're going to reference the NX-01 Enterprise and her crew, it's probably better to stick to file photos.

Hide contents

Not just because of fan ambivalence towards Enterprise... but also because that is inherently pretty dark considering what we know of the eventual fates of many of the crew of the NX-01.

Archer is dying when he attends the Enterprise's christening, and dies less than 24 hours later.  Tucker's been dead for almost a century.  Sato's about a year away from being murdered in Governor Kodos's mass executions on Tarsus IV.  Reed, in some material, was seriously ill with transporter-induced genetic damage by the 2170s (and may have been one of the first victims of transporter psychosis).  Etc. Etc.

FWIW, I think they'd be better off flashing back to the transfer of command where Captain April stepped down and handed the Enterprise to Captain Pike.

Wow...didn't know Sato was there when young Jim Kirk was!

36 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Me neither. Bad end there. Although how she ended up on Kodo's list of undesirables would be interesting to know.

It would be cool to see T'pol again. Would mean some work for Jolene Blalock!

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(Also, shouldn't Jim Kirk be on the Farragut in 2258?)

According to Memory Alpha, the Farragut encountered the dikironium cloud creature in 2257. But who knows, maybe that the Farragut's bridge he's on in the promo pic, and he's in the command slot because of losses.

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Like the circumstances of Archer's passing, it was written for the personnel file in the USS Defiant's main computer in "In a Mirror, Darkly".

(Lucky for us they weren't quite so grim as the novelverse's version, where Archer and Reed both suffer lifelong debilitating physical damage from the transporter that may have been early and mild cases of transporter psychosis.)

16 minutes ago, Thom said:

Me neither. Bad end there. Although how she ended up on Kodo's list of undesirables would be interesting to know.

Governor Kodos applied eugenic theory in his execution of half of the Tarsus IV colony's population.  He was prioritizing the survival of the young, strong, and most promising... and she was 117 years old at the time.

For my money, I want Strange New Worlds to spend less time leaning on established characters and more time building up the mostly undeveloped or original crew of the 2250s-era USS Enterprise.  We've had quite enough of Kirk and Spock as it is.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hide contents

Daaaaang.

Like, I appreciate that they wrote ends for everyone, but there seems a penchant for bleakness there.

At least Archer dodges some miserable fate and dies of simple old age?

34 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:
  Hide contents

Like the circumstances of Archer's passing, it was written for the personnel file in the USS Defiant's main computer in "In a Mirror, Darkly".

(Lucky for us they weren't quite so grim as the novelverse's version, where Archer and Reed both suffer lifelong debilitating physical damage from the transporter that may have been early and mild cases of transporter psychosis.)

Governor Kodos applied eugenic theory in his execution of half of the Tarsus IV colony's population.  He was prioritizing the survival of the young, strong, and most promising... and she was 117 years old at the time.

For my money, I want Strange New Worlds to spend less time leaning on established characters and more time building up the mostly undeveloped or original crew of the 2250s-era USS Enterprise.  We've had quite enough of Kirk and Spock as it is.

Like "Mr. Adventure" from STIII: TSFS?

:D

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:
  Hide contents

Well, I'm alright with more Kirk and Spock.😉 But yes, I do hope they build the 'new' characters up, rather than leaning on the originals too much. I could see some of the legacy crew showing up as seasons go by, as Uhura is, as well as Spock, but that should be more transitional as time goes by. Unfortunately, there is name-recognition that it is far too easy to use as a prop, esp if they want to keep buzz going and positive.

Also, adverse reactions to Burnham and others on Disco may have made them shy away from concentrating on new characters.

22 hours ago, JB0 said:

Daaaaang.

Like, I appreciate that they wrote ends for everyone, but there seems a penchant for bleakness there.

'lil bit, yeah... though Star Trek has always been kind of rough on Starfleet officer protagonists.  

Many of them have either tragic backstories, tragic eventual fates, or both.  Trauma makes drama, I guess?  Though I guess part of it is probably just an acknowledgement/tie-in to the fact that in TOS living in the colonies seemed to be pretty darn rough as the Enterprise and other ships spent a LOT of time charging to the rescue of some colony or other.

(Enterprise had plans on that front that went unused after its cancellation, like T'Pol supposedly being half-Romulan via her sleeper agent dad or Archer being the true identity of "Future Guy" trying to correct the distortions in history.)

22 hours ago, JB0 said:

At least Archer dodges some miserable fate and dies of simple old age?

He gets to do both in the novels, which are based on some of the unused plans for the show's later seasons.  Archer's promotion to Admiral in the novelverse came because he lost the Enterprise in the Earth-Romulan War and accumulated damage from transporter use left him with a neurological disorder that would otherwise have made him unfit for duty.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, I'm alright with more Kirk and Spock.😉 But yes, I do hope they build the 'new' characters up, rather than leaning on the originals too much. I could see some of the legacy crew showing up as seasons go by, as Uhura is, as well as Spock, but that should be more transitional as time goes by. Unfortunately, there is name-recognition that it is far too easy to use as a prop, esp if they want to keep buzz going and positive.

Also, adverse reactions to Burnham and others on Disco may have made them shy away from concentrating on new characters.

It's one thing to throw in a nod to them here and there, but they're rushing to appeal to fans by saying "Hey guess what, Kirk is in this!" as if they're not at all confident that they can actually sell the series on its own merits.

Kirk, Spock, et. al. are supposed to be nobodies in this time period.  Spock's only real reason for drawing attention would/should have been the fact that he was the son of Vulcan ambassador Sarek.  Kirk was just some guy until he became Captain of the Enterprise in the 2260s and went on a bunch of space adventures so exciting Starfleet routinely wrote his reports off as bullsh*t.  When Discovery brought Spock in, they made a huge fuss over him totally out of all proportion to the fact that he wasn't anybody special except for his parentage and wouldn't be for another fifteen years or so.  I kind of expect to see the same from a young Kirk as a scene-stealing squad with Spock.

I can certainly understand them being a bit gunshy about fan reactions based on Discovery's... reception... but that was as much a result of their stupidly over-the-top grimdark take on Trek as the characters being a bunch of miserable and utterly unloveable bastards.  This is supposed to be a return to classic form in multiple senses, and that means running on an ensamble cast.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

'lil bit, yeah... though Star Trek has always been kind of rough on Starfleet officer protagonists.  

Many of them have either tragic backstories, tragic eventual fates, or both.  Trauma makes drama, I guess?  Though I guess part of it is probably just an acknowledgement/tie-in to the fact that in TOS living in the colonies seemed to be pretty darn rough as the Enterprise and other ships spent a LOT of time charging to the rescue of some colony or other.

(Enterprise had plans on that front that went unused after its cancellation, like T'Pol supposedly being half-Romulan via her sleeper agent dad or Archer being the true identity of "Future Guy" trying to correct the distortions in history.)

Join Starfleet and end up red goo on a distant planet.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Join Starfleet and end up red goo on a distant planet.

Considering the monotonous regularity of tragic backstories among named characters, one could be forgiven for cynically suspecting redshirts are a form of assisted suicide.

Few are the Star Trek protagonists who haven't been traumatized in some way prior to the "present day" of their respective shows... 

Spoiler

Seriously!

Star Trek: the Original Series

• Kirk was one of 4,000 survivors of the massacre perpetrated by Governor Kodos on Tarsus IV as a child, and it seriously messed him up.  
  • Spock faced bigotry growing up on Vulcan because of his mixed heritage.
  • McCoy has long-term issues as a result of taking his ailing father off life support.
  • Scotty's implied at one point to have a "total hatred of women" he's in treatment for, and it's also implied he's more a functioning alcoholic than merely a hard-drinking Scotsman.
  • Uhura's also implied to have some serious trauma in "This Side of Paradise", though it's never elaborated upon until the movie novelizations.

That basically leaves Sulu, Chekhov, and Nurse Chapel.

Star Trek: the Next Generation

• Picard had a major falling-out with his family over his decision to join Starfleet, and the whole mess the death of his best friend Jack Crusher.
  • Riker's mother died when he was very young and he had an incredibly toxic relationship with his father.
  • La Forge's blindness, with the visor causing him constant pain.  That and his disappeared mom.
  • Data's home colony being wiped out by the Crystalline Entity, his disappeared (later dead) dad, and literal evil twin.
  • Yar's nightmare childhood on a colony planet that descended into comically over-the-top anarchy, complete with rampant substance abuse and "rape-gangs".
  • Worf is an orphan - he's a Worf, he's an orphan, he's a Worphan? - after his parents were killed in the Romulan attack on Khitomer.  He also killed another child by accident when he was young.
  • Dr. Crusher's a widow and single mother, after her husband died tragically aboard the Stargazer.
  • Troi's father died young, and she had an older sister who her mother tried to erase all evidence of after her death.
  • Wesley's dad died young, and he was raised by his career-focused single mother.
  • Guinan's species was wiped out by the Borg.
  • O'Brien was a Cardassian War veteran and witness to one of the war's worst massacres.
  • Ro is a Bajoran refugee. 'nuff said.
  • Alexander is Worf's kid, and therefore caught up in the House of Mogh's bullsh*t 24/7.

The only recurring characters who walk away without significant trauma are Dr. Pulaski, Nurse Ogawa, and Keiko O'Brien... though you could argue that Keiko is the traumatic backstory for Chief O'Brien by DS9.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

• Sisko was a broken man after losing his wife in the Battle of Wolf 359.
  • Kira was a Bajoran freedom fighter during the Cardassian occupation, whose mother was a comfort woman and whose father was murdered.
  • Dax is Dax, and therefore is carrying multiple lifetimes worth of traumatic baggage including one past host being a convicted murderer and at least one other dying tragically in a shuttle accident.  Plus Jadzia gets murdered mid-series, as added baggage for next host Ezri.
  • Dr. Bashir was subjected to illegal genetic modification as a child, and grew up believing his original self ceased to exist on modification because his parents couldn't handle having a child that didn't measure up.
  • Worf is Worf, see above.
  • O'Brien is O'Brien, see above.
  • Odo is a foundling who was raised in a lab as a research subject during the Cardassian occupation, and never knew where he came from.
  • Jake lost his mom during the Battle of Wolf 359.
  • Opaka betrayed her own son to the Cardassians to save a province.
  • Winn was a Bajoran religious official living on occupied Bajor.
  • Shakaar was a Bajoran freedom fighter during the occupation.
  • Quark has some lingering issues involving his mother's parental favoritism towards Rom.
  • Rom has trust issues after his first wife took advantage of him.
  • Nog has serious issues stemming from seeing how his father is treated after his mother abandoned them.

Basically the only one without a traumatic backstory is Vedek Bariel.

Star Trek: Voyager

• Chakotay was a member of the Maquis, fighting the losing battle against the Cardassians AND the Federation.
  • Tuvok was an anti-human bigot and has issues with his emotional control, as well as lingering neurological illness that threatens his sanity.
  • Paris starts the series in prison, after getting cashiered out of Starfleet and having joined the Maquis.
  • Torres comes from a broken household after her human father ran out on her Klingon mother.
  • The Doctor learns his software is considered obsolete and hopelessly defective because of his creator's peculiarities.
  • Neelix has survivor's guilt after he avoided the destruction of his homeworld in a war by deserting.
  • Kes was kept prisoner by the Kazon for some time after leaving the Ocampa settlement.
  • Seven was assimilated by the Borg as a child.
  • Icheb was assimilated by the Borg as a child, having been designed to be an anti-Borg tyke bomb by his parents.
  • Suder has uncontrollable homicidal urges he struggles with his entire life.

Weirdly, Janeway is exempt... she was, by all accounts, a healthy and functional member of society until Voyager got lost in the Delta Quadrant.  Kim is also untraumatized, by dint of being greener than grass and the wettest possible blanket, unless you count "being Harry Kim" as tragic backstory.  Other than that, Naomi Wildman, Vorik, and a few other minor recurring characters also got off scott free.

Star Trek: Enterprise

• Archer has a planet-sized chip on his shoulder because he believes the Vulcans held up his father's warp drive research.
  • T'Pol has some family issues, which would have gotten worse with a season 5 reveal that her father is a Romulan sleeper agent.
  • Reed has lifelong issues with aquaphobia and a shady past via his involvement with Section 31.
  • Mayweather's joining Starfleet caused an estrangement with the rest of his family in the cargo service.
  • Phlox has an estrangement involving one of his children joining a hate group.

Enterprise gets off the easiest, with Tucker, Sato, and the MACOs all having no established trauma aside from Hoshi's incessant complaining.

Star Trek: Discovery

• Burnham's family were killed in a Klingon attack, and she was raised in a very unhealthy way by Sarek.
  • Saru is from a planet where his people were raised as livestock, and was forced to abandon his homeworld to join Starfleet.
  • Lorca lost his ship, the Buran, before the events of the first season and was replaced by his Mirror Universe double who was on the run after a failed coup against the Terran Emperor.
  • Landry's fiance died fighting the Klingons.
  • Reno is a widow.
  • Stamets is a researcher who resents being effectively drafted into the war effort and having his work used for violent ends
  • Tyler was dead all along.
  • Airiam lost her husband and was physically mutilated in a shuttle crash, needing heavy cybernetic reconstruction to lead a normal-ish life.
  • Detmer is a shell-shocked veteran after the Battle of the Binary Stars.
  • Tilly has a fairly toxic relationship with her family, to the extent of indicating she wouldn't even remember her mother if she had Airiam's ability to delete memories.
  • Tal's lover died in her arms before she inherited their symbiont.
  • L'Rell faced discrimination for her gender, and because she was from a house specializing in a dishonorable profession.
  • T'Kuvma was bullied as a child, apparently in connection with his family's religious beliefs.
  • Voq was an outcast his entire life because of his albinism.

The only ones who dodge a tragic backstory are Dr. Culber, who had almost no character development, and various minor background characters who are named but have no development.

Star Trek: Picard

• Picard's life between Nemesis and the series is one long trauma conga line.
  • Musiker was cashiered out of Starfleet for her substance abuse problem.
  • Rios was cashiered out of Starfleet over his involvement in a covert operation.
  • Elnor was mocked for being a male enrolled in a traditionally-female religious order and has abandonment issues involving his surrogate father Picard
  • Dr. Jurati lost her sense of purpose after research into artificial life forms was banned.
  • Dr. Maddox lost his sense of purpose and slipped into depression and paranoia after research into artificial life forms was banned.
  • Seven is a broken vigilante who was seeking revenge after her surrogate son Icheb was dissected alive for his Borg implants.
  • The Riker family was broken by the death of their eldest son to a preventable disease.
  • Hugh has lived for years under the thumb of the oppressive Romulan administration of the Borg "artifact".

Nobody got away in this one, unless you count Picard's pitbull.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Considering the monotonous regularity of tragic backstories among named characters, one could be forgiven for cynically suspecting redshirts are a form of assisted suicide.

Few are the Star Trek protagonists who haven't been traumatized in some way prior to the "present day" of their respective shows... 

Hide contents

Seriously!

Star Trek: the Original Series

• Uhura's also implied to have some serious trauma in "This Side of Paradise", though it's never elaborated upon until the movie novelizations.

Spoiler

Was this before or after her memory was completely erased by Nomad?  Or did they retcon that into temporary amnesia that resolved itself over time, rather than her relearning her entire life from scratch?

16 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

So... is Star Trek just not developing original characters anymore?

This is just getting silly.  It's like the franchise's showrunners no longer even consider it worth the effort to look like they're trying.  This is their Hail Mary?  Packing the cast with as many recast established characters as possible regardless of whether or not it makes any sense for them to be there in the hopes that nostalgia-by-association will keep the show from sinking as soon as it launches the way Picard and Discovery did?  

Spock's presence was justified, at least, by his being the only character from the original Star Trek pilot who survived the pilot into the series proper.  He was Pike's science officer.  Announcing that James Kirk was going to be in the series was a blatant admission they have no confidence in Anson Mount's ability to keep the show afloat.  Now they're adding Uhura?  Did they forget that the last time they attempted one of these stupid "how they met" storylines it was a three-film box office disaster that wiped out the then-thriving Star Trek merchandising empire, alienated most of the fanbase, lost them tens of millions of dollars, and got canned when their investors unilaterally withdrew their support?

57 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... is Star Trek just not developing original characters anymore?

This is just getting silly.  It's like the franchise's showrunners no longer even consider it worth the effort to look like they're trying.  This is their Hail Mary?  Packing the cast with as many recast established characters as possible regardless of whether or not it makes any sense for them to be there in the hopes that nostalgia-by-association will keep the show from sinking as soon as it launches the way Picard and Discovery did?  

Spock's presence was justified, at least, by his being the only character from the original Star Trek pilot who survived the pilot into the series proper.  He was Pike's science officer.  Announcing that James Kirk was going to be in the series was a blatant admission they have no confidence in Anson Mount's ability to keep the show afloat.  Now they're adding Uhura?  Did they forget that the last time they attempted one of these stupid "how they met" storylines it was a three-film box office disaster that wiped out the then-thriving Star Trek merchandising empire, alienated most of the fanbase, lost them tens of millions of dollars, and got canned when their investors unilaterally withdrew their support?

Not to mention establishing JJ Abrams as the worst Star Trek villain since Khan Noonien Singh?

Or it could be great. (shrug)

Let's see, we have...

Pike, Number One and Spock from the original original pilot. Only Spock moved on from there. Then we have Uhura and Chapel, and season 2 Kirk, from the original series run.

And being introduced in SNW...

La'an Noonien-Singh, Dr. M'Benga, Erica Ortegas, and Hemmer who is an Andorian. I'm assuming some others as well.

It's not a stretch to say that the main stories will probably revolve amongst Pike, No1 and Spock, with the others adding 'flavor,' so I'm not stressing that we have some legacy characters coming in.

Thom (my other Account is in the shop...)

3 hours ago, TET said:

Or it could be great. (shrug)

Let's see, we have...

Pike, Number One and Spock from the original original pilot. Only Spock moved on from there. Then we have Uhura and Chapel, and season 2 Kirk, from the original series run.

And being introduced in SNW...

La'an Noonien-Singh, Dr. M'Benga, Erica Ortegas, and Hemmer who is an Andorian. I'm assuming some others as well.

It's not a stretch to say that the main stories will probably revolve amongst Pike, No1 and Spock, with the others adding 'flavor,' so I'm not stressing that we have some legacy characters coming in.

Thom (my other Account is in the shop...)

Hey Thom; looks like the log-in bug got you too, huh?

Hey, I thought Hemmer was an Andorian, and was going to complain bitterly about the bad make-up! Never-mind now.

Is it me, is the dialogue in these trailers better, so far, than anything on Disco..?

Thom (original account in WITSEC)

Edited by TET

24 minutes ago, TET said:

Hey, I thought Hemmer was an Andorian, and was going to complain bitterly about the bad make-up! Never-mind now.

Is it me, is the dialogue in these trailers better, so far, than anything on Disco..?

He is Andorian...more appropriately, an Andorian sub-species called Aenar; Andorians from the northern regions who are traditionally blind and telepathic.