1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

There was hinting at even more "legacy" characters.   I'd rather they keep closer to "Pike's own unique crew, with Spock" rather than move towards "Kirk's crew, but with Pike instead of Kirk".   

IMHO, they're right at the limit now.  If they bring in Sulu and Scotty...

Agreed

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

She's crew?  I didn't catch that.  But, time-line-wise, it kinda works, since this would be before Khan was re-awakened?   (though his last name should be pretty famous/historical regardless)

Even so the Federation appears to follow the western world rule that offspring are not guilty for the crimes of parents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After the last two new Star Trek shows, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Anson Mount did a very fine job as Christopher Pike on Star Trek: Discovery - to the extent of being the only character in the series who behaved like he was on a Star Trek show and all but completely stole the entire second season - but I have absolutely no confidence in the writers. :( 

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Anson Mount did a very fine job as Christopher Pike on Star Trek: Discovery - to the extent of being the only character in the series who behaved like he was on a Star Trek show and all but completely stole the entire second season - but I have absolutely no confidence in the writers. :( 

Sadly I feel the same and agree with this. I’ll still give it a try, though, but I’m not “holding my breath”

Chris

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm willing ti give it a chance... but that said: given their track record, I'm kinda hoping against their stupidity.

I love everything about the updated Enterprise model, except for the weird bridge design, and the wonky scale shenanigans they keep pulling.  I don't for a moment believe that the "1/1000" kit is accurately labeled, and I just keep hoping someone will actually clear up the entire mess by giving us some good old-fashioned tech diagrams showing the deck layout.

Seriously, I don't think we've gotten anything like that since the JJ-verse came about.. and I think the reasons are pretty obvious.

Edited by Chronocidal

52 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I love everything about the updated Enterprise model, except for the weird bridge design, and the wonky scale shenanigans they keep pulling.  I don't for a moment believe that the "1/1000" kit is accurately labeled, and I just keep hoping someone will actually clear up the entire mess by giving us some good old-fashioned tech diagrams showing the deck layout.

At the very least, we can write off the odd interior design choices as an interior design fad given that Starfleet ships are fully modular and the modules get replaced on a reasonably frequent basis as upgrades become available (the official justification for the many cosmetic upgrades over the years).

I doubt we'll see anything like proper design rigor until the Abrams crew is gone from the franchise for good, but at least this Enterprise shouldn't have the "bigger on the inside" problem the Discovery has.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, lechuck said:

... why does this feel like we're going to have to sit through another plot where the main character is a broken old man sitting around waiting to die?  

Other than the hints of the omnipresent misery that defines Kurtzman and Chabon's imitation-brand Star Trek, this almost looks promising.  I'm not going to get my hopes up, though.  I've been burned by this stuff too many times already.

I'll give this a chance; that said, if they turn Captain Pike into another "Picard", then Trek  as a whole for me can just fall into the Genesis Planet's atmosphere and do a "Refit burn" for all I care.

Edited by pengbuzz

Well, you can't have a character be shown his own mortality without addressing it later on. It will be an interesting dynamic to see come about, and hopefully they'll do it well, without it overwhelming the entire series. So far, I'm still liking what I'm seeing.

9 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, you can't have a character be shown his own mortality without addressing it later on. It will be an interesting dynamic to see come about, and hopefully they'll do it well, without it overwhelming the entire series. So far, I'm still liking what I'm seeing.

If they can keep what they had in Discovery and build on it (the Enterprise, NOT the Discovery! lol), they might have something there.

And sure: they can show someone their mortality without addressing it later on. it's called bad writing!! :rofl:

Seriously though: if Pike is still on Talos IV by the time Discovery gets to the future, maybe they can cure him of his injuries?

Edited by pengbuzz

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

If they can keep what they had in Discovery and build on it (the Enterprise, NOT the Discovery! lol), they might have something there.

And sure: they can show someone their mortality without addressing it later on. it's called bad writing!! :rofl:

Seriously though: if Pike is still on Talos IV by the time Discovery gets to the future, maybe they can cure him of his injuries?

That highlights one of the pitfalls of prequels. Considering the medical tech, even the pre TOS era which this is going to be in, they should be able to find ways to fix Pike without him having to live as an illusion on Talos IV. When this first came about with the original series, the current medical sciences (of the 1960s) could not see a way that a man injured as bad as Pike was, was going to be anything more than a debilitated cripple stuck in a chair. With a series of lights blinking yes or no.

But as shown on Disco, with Airiam, there are medical and scientific advancements achieved that could help this version of Pike, that were never thought of when the original version was written for TOS. Now the questions will be, why don't they just clone a body for him? Or why not some technical/scientific advancements, or even if he does end up in the chair, why would be not be able to speak like Hawking?

Those could be some glaring holes when they finally come to it.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

That highlights one of the pitfalls of prequels. Considering the medical tech, even the pre TOS era which this is going to be in, they should be able to find ways to fix Pike without him having to live as an illusion on Talos IV. When this first came about with the original series, the current medical sciences (of the 1960s) could not see a way that a man injured as bad as Pike was, was going to be anything more than a debilitated cripple stuck in a chair. With a series of lights blinking yes or no.

But as shown on Disco, with Airiam, there are medical and scientific advancements achieved that could help this version of Pike, that were never thought of when the original version was written for TOS. Now the questions will be, why don't they just clone a body for him? Or why not some technical/scientific advancements, or even if he does end up in the chair, why would be not be able to speak like Hawking?

Those could be some glaring holes when they finally come to it.

Or it's entirely possible that since time has been messed with badly, that this version of Pike only saw a possible future.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Or it's entirely possible that since time has been messed with badly, that this version of Pike only saw a possible future.

And I would be all open with them finally saying that, yes, this is an alternate timeline!😁

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

And I would be all open with them finally saying that, yes, this is an alternate timeline!😁

I think almost everyone would be very open to dismissing Kurtzman and Chabon's Trek as an alternate universe... or likely just a part of the Kelvin timeline, given their dystopian focus and shared aesthetics.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

On that front, it's probably worth noting that the "easy out" explanation for why Airiam was able to receive extensive cybernetic prosthetics while Pike was confined to a wheelchair and reduced to speaking in beeps is how they were incapacitated.  Airiam's injuries were ordinary, but extensive, physical trauma from a shuttle crash.  Pike was incapacitated by a near-fatal level of exposure to exotic radiation from a warp drive system.  They could easily explain it that Pike's near-fatal delta radiation exposure caused too much neurological damage for him to accept extensive cybernetic reconstruction.  His wheelchair was supposedly brainwave controlled, so if that's the best they could do his nervous system must've been a complete wreck.

As for why they didn't clone a body for him... that one's answered right in TOS's worst episode, "Spock's Brain".  Transplanting a living brain was beyond the expertise of Federation medicine in the mid-23rd century.  McCoy was only able to do it using knowledge from the Eymorg's "Teacher" system in order to successfully perform a brain transplant and as a consequence of the technology not being designed for humans was unable to retain the knowledge after.  This was apparently still true a century later in TNG's "Ethics", in which Worf's severed spinal cord was not repairable by conventional means and the only fix was to graft a whole new spinal column to his system using an experimental and dangerous process that would've killed him stone dead if not for his Klingon anatomy's excessive redundancies.  (There may also be the ethical issue alluded to in TNG "Up the Long Ladder" and DS9 "A Man Alone" regarding the ethics of cloning and the rights of cloned beings.)

Dr. Hawking's ALS didn't completely incapacitate him, he was still able to use manual controls to maneuver his wheelchair and operate a text-to-speech system.  Pike seems to be completely immobilized and dependent on rudimentary brainwave control to maneuver his wheelchair and answer "Yes" or "No" via beeps.

Too early for me to really have an opinion, but I thought this was supposed to be before his time and yet there he is as a Captain. Also, didn’t want this to become the OS character guest spot series. Guess we will see. 

Chris