Was just about to post the link to this story on Darkhorizons.com.

Looks like some of us got our wish!

Now, I'm curious if the Klingons will get any sort of redesign, because it'd be weird if there were no Klingon based episodes.

43 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Now, I'm curious if the Klingons will get any sort of redesign, because it'd be weird if there were no Klingon based episodes.

They'll run into some Klingons at some point. What they Klingons should have are smaller to zero forehead ridges.

So ViacomCBS's latest, and probably last, attempt to turn a profit on Secret Hideout's wildly unpopular take on Star Trek is... a Captain Pike series?

I mean, yeah... Anson Mount's Captain Christopher Pike was basically the only character on Star Trek: Discovery that anyone actually liked, but it's not like that was an achievement when the entire rest of the cast consisted of shallow stock characters backing up a handful of Mary Sues and complete monsters (and a main character who managed to be all three).  Maybe the third time really will be the charm, but I doubt it.  They've already managed to turn Jean-Luc Picard, master diplomat and moral paragon, into an incredibly selfish and manipulative old man who endangers the entire galaxy for the sake of his own ego and had Pike spend an entire season as Burnham's doormat... I don't think they're going to change how they do things.

26 minutes ago, lechuck said:

But "meh" to the Klingons, they have been done to death now. How about the Tholians as a main antagonist for a change.

Heretic.  

Looking forward to this one.  I'm up to the last two episodes of Discovery season 2 (which I like so far) and the guys playing Pike and Spock did a good job.

This really puts a smile on my face! Pike and crew were definitely the best thing in Discovery Season 2....and I’m saying that not as a hater. Also loved hearing Anson Mount saying “making a classic Star Trek show that deals with Optimism in the future” something missing from most of Discovery.

Chris

Does it involve smoking hot sexy green aliens???   No... not the stage after facehuggers.

:db:

Give me a Captain's Captain... a Kirk.  One who doesn't compromise his true values, which is leaving his seed across the galaxy as he explores...

Edited by kalvasflam

16 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Give me a Captain's Captain... a Kirk.  One who doesn't compromise his true values, which is leaving his seed across the galaxy as he explores...

You won't get a Kirk but you will get a Pike - who was at least interested in the original Pilot...

CBS should have made a Star Trek series starring Wil Wheaton , especially when he regained popularity from their BIG BANG THEORY series.

Another opportunity lost. Just like the George Takei Sulu/ Excelsior series that should have been made but never was.

Edited by TangledThorns

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

CBS should have made a Star Trek series starring Wil Wheaton , especially when he regained popularity from their BIG BANG THEORY series.

Surely you jest.

Wil Wheaton may have managed to use The Big Bang Theory to at least partially separate himself from the antipathy that die-hard Star Trek fans and general audiences had for Wesley Crusher, but that's all he did.  It's not like he managed to diminish the Star Trek fandom's loathing of Wesley Crusher, who was rightly lambasted as Star Trek's first Canon Sue.  He was the Star Trek franchise's most loathed character, with only Star Trek: Voyager's Neelix and Star Trek: Discovery's Michael Burnham coming close to achieving the same levels of fan hate.  (Kai Winn doesn't count, because she was deliberately written to be a Hate Sink.)

Another opportunity lost. Just like the George Takei Sulu/ Excelsior series that should have been made but never was.

Not doing something that's all but guaranteed to fail isn't exactly a "lost opportunity". 

Now, the proposed Hikaru Sulu series... that was a missed opportunity.  Shame Shatner was so dead set against George Takei getting more time in the limelight.

If CBS had an ounce of sense, they'd dump Discovery and Picard altogether and throw their budgets at Strange New Worlds.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Agreed, we don't need Wesley Crusher... didn't his arc end with him going off to be a 'traveler' which was kind of god-like? 

If they want to bring him back, give us a twist and make him Q. 

EDIT - not in this series of course... as that would make no sense.

Edited by jenius

37 minutes ago, jenius said:

Agreed, we don't need Wesley Crusher... didn't his arc end with him going off to be a 'traveler' which was kind of god-like? 

If they want to bring him back, give us a twist and make him Q.

He did return, Wesley was there at the Riker and Troi wedding scene in Nemesis. How and why he was there was never explained though.

Edited by lechuck
Referenced the wrong movie

20 minutes ago, jenius said:

Yeah, and his only appearance after that was a cut cameo in Star Trek: Nemesis.

They could always stick him in Star Trek: Discovery now that the unlovable cast of the show have f*cked off a thousand years or more into the future.  Maybe he and an elderly Neelix can be besties with Burnham and they can change the show's name from STD to Star Trek: Cancer.  With the Buffy the Vampire Slayer level of writing they've got going with the idiots from Secret Hideout, they could set a new speed record for cancellation.

I'm most concerned that we'll start to see crap from Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard bleeding through into Strange New Worlds... especially since "time crystals" have already given Pike a preview of his own future.

• 9 months later...

As much as I want to be enthusiastic about Strange New Worlds trying to get back to being proper Star Trek, I'm going to keep my expectations in the gutter.  As promising as it may look and sound, it's still the same showrunners behind Discovery and Picard.

• 4 months later...

weee bit of Necrothreadmancy....

Lordy, Doomcock is quite... annoyed. But how could Kurtsman even get a second serving at the table (when he clearly took a dump on the table settings the first time)?

• 1 month later...

There was hinting at even more "legacy" characters.   I'd rather they keep closer to "Pike's own unique crew, with Spock" rather than move towards "Kirk's crew, but with Pike instead of Kirk".   

IMHO, they're right at the limit now.  If they bring in Sulu and Scotty...