Your favourite Valk that has the Worst Toy.

Sandman

Thought this topic may be fun. I was thinking today about the 171 CF from frontier. I loved this design and the colour of it. Unfortunately the toy sucks because of breakage issues and the stupid decision to make the wings removable. We will probably never see a v2 of it. Such  a wasted opportunity.

What are some of your favourite designs that had a bad toy representation?

SV-262, though the model kit has a much better transformation.

Also the YF-21 from Yamato may look awesome in fighter mode, but it's pretty lacking in Battroid. Not that I blame Yamato, what with the unprecedented levels of anime magic involved in that particular VF.

2 hours ago, valhary said:

VF-2SS evolution toys:(

Honestly, that tops the list for me. We waited decades for it! And when it finally came, it landing like a sloppy turd.  It's a legacy toy IMHO. You gotta tip your hat to Evolution for pulling it out of their a$$. And like many, i saw the flaws (those awful chest tabs!) and still bought it. I would've bought them all, lol. If only to keep evolution going for more and better versions. It was a good dream. And, eventually Bandai did us the favor of nailing it with the HMR..

I would go with the YF-21...Don't get me wrong, when the yamato version came out it was a good toy but i am surprised that no company so far attempted a 2.0 version...i mean, except for the prototype Bandai showed us few months ago but i guess we have no news of when we will see a release of it. I also liked a lot the VF-11 from Macross plus and the 1/60 from Yamato was good but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. Looking forward for a 2.0 version from Arcadia or a completely new version from Bandai. 

I also hated yamato for not giving us a 1/48 version of a Max VF-1S and Super Ostrich. I hope Bandai will be able to give us a decent version of those two Valks in a 1/48 scale.

Arii's 15th anniversary VF-1D gerwalk.  No question.

-8194846296132265764.jpg

Low quality, awkwardly-proportioned, poorly detailed, inadequately articulated, and not even show-accurate... and it doesn't even transform!  <_<

Surprisingly the VF/YF-25's on their own were letdowns for me. If you didnt have a super part set or better, they were just there. Not as dynamic as in the show on their own.

The YF-21 I regretted; those legs were ugly. Looked better on screen. Loved the rehash in Delta and considered getting one again.

The 171 CF I regretted, should have been better manufactured- such a gorgeous color.

The 17s; is no fun without a proper stand and the super parts.

The 19 Advance was too complicated transformation. The boosters were also a hindrance on the wings, and I hated the lanky upper body. 2nd 19 of my life, preferred the Yamato I had previously.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Does the TV SDF-1 count??? I mean it IS the name of the freakin show and to this day we have what like only two actual contenders? The original 80's toy and the smaller one that came out a few years back from the company I can't remember the name to right now? Cosmo fleet something or other???

9 hours ago, tekering said:

-8194846296132265764.jpg

Low quality, awkwardly-proportioned, poorly detailed, inadequately articulated, and not even show-accurate... and it doesn't even transform!  <_<

Bah!

I'll raise you a Henkei...anyone of them.....you pick!

large.20200424_134212.jpg.6a79f1d8181521

....but at least it tranforms you say?  They sure do...into this...

large.gallery_12176_633_976217.jpg.74da8

large.gallery_12176_633_267250.jpg.f4846

....actually, never mind.....they're awesome! :wub:

On 4/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, tekering said:

-8194846296132265764.jpg

I agree.  Arii's are horrible.  I have a Roy 1S in gerwalk and its so bad. 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:57 AM, tekering said:

-8194846296132265764.jpg

Yes on all accounts you just mentioned, but is the only alternate VF-1D head ever produced. So for that I would let it slide.

0CBD63E7-5263-4D3E-B5B1-4CC8E810B2C5.jpeg

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Thought that was a VF-1C? :unknw:

gallery_12176_640_120988.jpg

I always use my Perfect Memory as reference. After all my memory is not so perfect.

But I wonder which is correct?

The Alternate VF-1D or VF-1C also makes an appearance during the Max an Miria wedding.

Edited by nightmareB4macross
?

54 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I always use my Perfect Memory as reference. After all my memory is not so perfect.

The Alternate VF-1D or VF-1C also makes an appearance during the Max an Miria wedding.

Very interesting...I took a look at the most likely sources that may have had another look at that specific "head" and it seems that the Perfect Memory book was the only other officially published SDFM era book that has it.  Took a look at the Kawamori VF book...no mention.  Also took a quick look at the MasterFiles, no "C" model and they are known to make stuff up! ^_^  The only other publication that I did not look at was the Macross Chronicle issue covering the VF-1D.  I found my Macross Chronicle issues covering the VF-1A, J, and S and they had nothing about the D variant or anything referred to as a "C" variant.

I do find it sort of ironic, that the only other spot where this "head" varient is found beyond the Perfect Memory book is on an ARII/IMAI publication...this one released before the show even premiered....

gallery_12176_640_18354.jpg

....and then, years later...ARII/IMAI finally sneaked it onto a figure that no one cared about or really took notice of what it was...until now......of course, now it will jump up in value!

The ultra rare VF-1C!  :lol:

1 hour ago, nightmareB4macross said:

OK...I knew I had seen that head variant somewhere else....still not sure why it is referred to as a VF-1C on the ARII/IMAI booklet.....I'm thinking they were hoping for another variant to milk their VF-1 mold$ with!

large.1568974215_Macrossfurokuplayingcar

Edited by jvmacross

OK, of all places to think of finding this VF-1 head variant....The Macross Healthy Wings Orchestra Program!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1369628

large.20171118_084923.jpg.144a7d235a85a6

Thanks to @Shawn for reminding me!

Note the rough sketches seem to suggest the head rotates between both "lenses"...has there ever been another VF that has a head like this that made it into production?

20200429_173856.jpg

Here is another reference (from the document of macross) and a closeup of it from the arii vf-1d gerwalk kit which the toy is based on.

Google translate says something like "Battroid head variation.  The head of the D type was the one before it was changed in the final draft, but it was distributed with the X attached only there at the scene."

I NEVER knew about the vf-1d/c head on this kit...I always thought it was just a cruddy sculpt...but the head is distinctly different than the battroid kit and official final art

Great find, thanks for sharing this!

20200429_203517.jpg

20200428_224737.jpg

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Might I raise the ante on the Takatoku Henkeis with the Takatoku Chrome/Gold variants?

With the head laser landing gear? :)

20200429_210446.jpg

I was going to say the EVO Toys 2SS, but this one wins the prize 

My guess is that ARII and IMAI had received tons of lineart for all the mecha in the show including 5 distinct VF-1 types: VF-1A, VF-1D, VF-1J, and VF-1S...and one with no designation...so they named it the VF-1C.  It was in their best interest to have as many variants to sell as Valkyrie kits.  However, BW or whoever said "No, that thing you are calling a VF-1C is actually just something Kawamori was tinkering with and we decided to go with the VF-1D as the final head to represent the "trainer" valk". 

ARII perhaps had already created a mold for the "VF-1C" soon after getting a hold of the lineart.  Since they were not given the go ahead to make a VF-1C variant, they sneaked it onto the gerwalk kit anyway without making a big fuss about it.

It's awesome how new info like this can still be "discovered" after all these years.

My favorite Valkyrie is the VF2SS and while the ET one is trash, the HMR is ok but not what I ultimately want: weird canopy cover issue, a bunch of parts resting against each other in a not secure and seamless manner, no accurate transformation, etc.

The only other Valkyrie that comes to mind is the Yamato VF-17: doesn’t hold together in Fighter-Mode, pretty spindly and hollow from the side, looks weird (too big) next to the VF-19 in Battroid-Mode and has zero markings. Not a fitting ride for the best pilot in all of Macross *Gamlin Kick*. ;)

On 4/30/2020 at 12:10 AM, Shawn said:

Might I raise the ante on the Takatoku Henkeis with the Takatoku Chrome/Gold variants?

With the head laser landing gear? :)

20200429_210446.jpg

EYEBLEACH!!!! EYEBLEACH!!!! EYEBLEACH!!!! EYEBLEACH!!!! EYEBLEACH!!!! AAARRRGGHHHH!!

On 4/26/2020 at 6:31 PM, derex3592 said:

Does the TV SDF-1 count??? I mean it IS the name of the freakin show and to this day we have what like only two actual contenders? The original 80's toy and the smaller one that came out a few years back from the company I can't remember the name to right now? Cosmo fleet something or other???

Right? That's like Kentucky Fried Chicke having served a crappy chicken breast TWICE in their entire history, and the rest of the time was just their sides being served!

Seriously... are they so inept or apathetic out there that they cannot be bothered? O.o

Edited by pengbuzz

I've got to go with the SV-262. I'm not the biggest fan of Macross Delta (the anime), but there's so much to appreciate about the SV-262.

A nontraditional transformation scheme not just for Macross, but for just jet transforming robots in general. 

A fascinating one-engine appearance in jet mode (even though it's really two engines).

Such a menacing Anubis-inspired head.

A Gerwalk mode that looks a lot like a Glaug.

And just a very interesting nontraditional jet that looks like it can actually fly. It actually reminds me a lot of the Batwing (Batman's jet), and the pointy ears in robot mode make it totally seem like something Batman would build for himself if he wanted a transforming jet.

The toy...uh...I mean, it's okay, I guess. The toy certainly does many things correctly. Gorgeous tampo. Certainly, it looks impressive in each mode. I love that the gun can swivel down and function like a turret. Even the microscopic little pilot figure is gorgeous, and looks nothing like other pilot figures in Macross toys. I love that such a beefy robot fits into such a slim jet with such a smooth belly. Seriously, there's barely any robot kibble down there. 

However, it has such a baffling, over-engineered transformation, it's ridiculous. Practically every transformation joint that could/should have been one hinge is, instead, several moving parts whose alignment needs to be exact.

The transformation reminds me of FansToys' recent releases. I'm sure the engineering makes perfect sense in a computer 3D model where you can perfectly "move" things around without pesky physics getting in the way, but once you have to actually put it into physical form, it's like nobody played with it before releasing it. There are so many moments where I practically screamed, "The ONLY way I can do what the manual asks me to do is if this part goes through that part!" (which, again, is totally something you can do in a 3D model on a computer). I've never actually been able to fully transform my DX Chogokin SV-262 back into jet mode. I mean, I've transformed it back into jet mode many times, but I've never been able to replicate the tightly-pegged, completely seamless jet as it was out of the box. But, darn it, I love the jet mode so much, I begrudgingly bought another one to keep in jet mode. My first SV-262, I use that one to transform back and forth between robot and Gerwalk mode.

The DX Chogokin SV-262 hurts because, one whole year prior to its release, Bandai released a transforming model kit of the SV-262. The model kit wasn't perfect, either, but its transformation scheme makes so much more sense than the DX Chogokin. Am I saying I want a fancy shmancy expensive DX Chogokin to be a mere upscale of a relatively inexpensive model kit? Uh...I mean...not really, per se, but this is one case where a freaking model kit does a transformation better than the much-bigger and much more expensive action figure. I mean, how often can you even say that? Plus, the VF-31 uses the same transformation scheme for the model kit and the DX Chogokin, so if it ain't broken, why "fix" it?

If the DX Chogokin SV-262 was the only SV-262 toy in existence and there was no model kit.....eh......it would still be an over-engineered but gorgeous figure. So beautiful, but so poorly engineered, much like the VF-171 toys from Macross Frontier. 

No, SV-262 isn't my favorite transforming jet design. No, I'm not even saying Bandai's SV-262 DX Chogokin is the worst transforming Macross toy. But what I am saying is that the "How cool should the toy be be?" to "How cool is the toy?" ratio is sky-high with the SV-262.

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

• 1 year later...

Ran across this Arii 1/100 Prototype release pic in one of the old magazines(appears to be the same battroid as shown on the playing card above).
This time they got the VF-1D name correct, but that head is the VF-1C
They were still tweaking on the nose in fighter/gerwalk, but wow-those are the biggest hands I've ever seen! :)

image.png.600338192dda9f228dfb76b56e61be0b.png