Macross Weathered Releases & DIY

DYRL VF-1S

I really enjoy the weathering releases on Macross and Valks that have panel lines etc.  I also love the custom work that I see members doing here, so I thought I'd kick off a thread in honor of that.  Would love to talk about releases or for our talented members to share what they're working on.  Maybe even offer custom work?

To start, I've been contemplating hunting down a Yammie 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru Custom Weathering Version.  As my overly creative screen name would allude (*sarcasm*,) I love the DYRL 1S.  I don't see Bandai releasing something like this anytime soon.  And, KitzConcept has decent paneling but is just not there yet with their molds (plus, it's Robotech).

Is this version worth hunting down?  And how impossible is it to get the Strike Parts weathered as well?  Our good friend @jenius covers it well in his overview of 1/48's but thought I'd crowdsource thoughts on it.  (Pic courtesy of http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=178 )

Yamato-1-48-VF-1S-Hikaru-Weathering-2.jp

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

If you're not going to transform them, they're nice. There are some stickers applied too so it's not just the weathering effect. When they were released, the consensus was that you could get better weathering/effect by paying someone to customize a regular release version of the toy so, if you don't mind the toy being custom, that may still be the better and cheaper way to go.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I really enjoy the weathering releases on Macross and Valks that have panel lines etc.  I also love the custom work that I see members doing here, so I thought I'd kick off a thread in honor of that.  Would love to talk about releases or for our talented members to share what they're working on.  Maybe even offer custom work?

To start, I've been contemplating hunting down a Yammie 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru Custom Weathering Version.  As my overly creative screen name would allude (*sarcasm*,) I love the DYRL 1S.  I don't see Bandai releasing something like this anytime soon.  And, KitzConcept has decent paneling but is just not there yet with their molds (plus, it's Robotech).

Is this version worth hunting down?  And how impossible is it to get the Strike Parts weathered as well?  

The only way to get the matching Yamato 1/48 weathered SSP is to purchase the Macross Chronicle exclusive 1/48 bundled set.  I have never seen a listing where the weathered SSP that came bundled with this set was sold/listed separately.

2722089835_438a5ce651_b.jpg

2753259617_550d1596b9_b.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

57 minutes ago, Kicker773 said:

IBE6BAED3-3B38-47B6-B8FE-DB6B4CEAF6CD.jpeg.8aa6a0290be5457642418d28d803dfe2.jpeg had a few extra weathered FP but used it for the other weathered Yamato releases that didn’t have a weathered FP. 
74B6954A-C2E9-448B-8D3A-25367BB212F9.jpeg.2b61ce73501753859bc31bc5a9452645.jpeg

811D2B32-A0AB-48DC-83E0-DE9960C4DF87.jpeg.f9e0ad908a56e972804bb4a72e6e15a3.jpeg

46464050-4D05-466D-A826-A8015299CADD.jpeg.04d39bf32103d6c855c65ea685e3a846.jpeg

ADBCB9D4-A735-4D47-9C23-79AECFC40DA9.jpeg.8b073cc9fdd478a4c9ec1765ff02f949.jpeg

:shok:  That's amazing man.  And I dig the custom Jetfire I see sneaking at the bottom as well!  Wow. Very cool.  Want to sell me one (Hikaru or Jetfire)?  Haha.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

If you're not going to transform them, they're nice. There are some stickers applied too so it's not just the weathering effect. When they were released, the consensus was that you could get better weathering/effect by paying someone to customize a regular release version of the toy so, if you don't mind the toy being custom, that may still be the better and cheaper way to go.

That's actually a great idea; especially, since @jvmacross pointed out that the SSPs are pretty rare.  Would be really cool to commission that since the regular 1/48 release isn't too shabby on price these days.  I actually have a DX VF-1S with a crack in a leg joint that HS fully refunded me for (well...PayPal did).  I'd be tempted to do that since i already own it, but the fear would be in it breaking if it had to be transformed to complete the job.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Sigh, such a beautiful collection. I wish I held on to a lot more of my toys from that era. LMK if you ever want to sell an extra weathering Focker Kicker.

I will. Not gonna lie I haven’t been in the Macross room in months maybe even a year. Been busy with Hot toys Stuff. But now that a lot of things are delayed might be able to switch gears and look for extras stuff that people were asking for sale. The release of the First Strike Scout marker didn’t help either with my time management. 

30 minutes ago, Kicker773 said:

I will. Not gonna lie I haven’t been in the Macross room in months maybe even a year. Been busy with Hot toys Stuff. But now that a lot of things are delayed might be able to switch gears and look for extras stuff that people were asking for sale. The release of the First Strike Scout marker didn’t help either with my time management. 

Nice. Sign me up for the Hikaru 1S with SSP please :D And the custom Jetfire while we’re taking requests. :drinks:

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

1 hour ago, Kicker773 said:

I'll also totally buy a weathered Roy off you, if you're letting go of more than 1.

I like how this has turned into a FS thread for @Kicker773's stuff. :lol:

Haven't had time to do much recently due to some kind of pandemic sweeping the globe.

I'm hoping to see some work from some of our more talented members like @wm cheng and others.

For years I've derived the most enjoyment out of my valkyrie toys from the work I put into improving them from their stock condition. Though I actually consider myself bottom of the barrel among the customizer world, I do it because it's fun and for the satisfaction of knowing that a toy has been improved through my own efforts.

I also, I couldn't afford the Yamato weathering versions when they came out long ago. :D

Currently working on an Angel Birds 1A, but that's going to be a shiny, clean show plane.

The very first valkyrie I ever detailed, funny enough, was Roy's DYRL VF-1S:

49806927627_69b6c353b2_o.jpg

The 1/60 versions are not any less expensive....this one just sold today...

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S DYRL Hikaru-type - Weathered Version - 32,500 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m405212923

There are several Yamato 1/60 weathered VF-1's on YJA, but they have starting bids that are way higher than what anyone seems to want to pay for them for at least the last month or longer...

As for 1/48 weathered VF-1's....The last couple of 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Weathered Roy's went for 46,000 JPY and 45,000 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g385822948

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b454493350

A 1/48 Weathered Roy-1S is currently listed with a high starting bid of 55,000 JPY....I think it has already been relisted twice

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g384423615

For whatever reason, the weathering edition Roy (1/60 V2) seems to be the worst Yamato release when it comes to the crinkled canopy issue. It's almost as if Yamato took all the toys returned for crinkled canopies, weathered them, then shipped them back out. What's odd is that they seem to be far worse off than the regular release Roy toys which have a very low prevalence of the crinkled canopy. If you're okay with customs, this is definitely a candidate for grabbing a regular release on the cheap, especially if the shoulders are cracked, then have a customizer beautify it. Get an old Yammy V2 for between $100-$150 and then pay someone $100-$150 to paint it and you could have a much better product.... though I have no idea if that's how much a customizer  would charge.

Edited by jenius

From my perspective, I'm comfortable stripping the canopy and replacing the shoulders, but I'm absolute garbage at doing weathering work, or really anything more complicated than flat paint/detail painting/panel lines. 

Also, since I only got into this a few years back I really have no attachment to the rainbow canopies to begin with.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I like how this has turned into a FS thread for @Kicker773's stuff. :lol:

Haven't had time to do much recently due to some kind of pandemic sweeping the globe.

I'm hoping to see some work from some of our more talented members like @wm cheng and others.

For years I've derived the most enjoyment out of my valkyrie toys from the work I put into improving them from their stock condition. Though I actually consider myself bottom of the barrel among the customizer world, I do it because it's fun and for the satisfaction of knowing that a toy has been improved through my own efforts.

I also, I couldn't afford the Yamato weathering versions when they came out long ago. :D

Currently working on an Angel Birds 1A, but that's going to be a shiny, clean show plane.

The very first valkyrie I ever detailed, funny enough, was Roy's DYRL VF-1S:

49806927627_69b6c353b2_o.jpg

Dude I love your work.  I was hoping you'd pop in here and share.  Can't believe that was your first?! Great job and looking good with a rainbow canopy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, Lolicon said:

:good: 

• 1 month later...

So, I did a thing:  I found both Yammie 1/48 weathered Hikkie AND the weathered SSP NEW/Unused on YJ and won the bid... I was actually the only one to bid.  I was surprised.  I'll probably ship Surface because those damn Yamato boxes are so big, so I won't get it for a couple of months.  But I'm stoked.  I was going to just take @jenius's advice and commission a weathering, but since the SSPs being weathered are rare and I was able to win the bid for under what the Valk alone is going for on eBay, I thought it was worth snagging as a grail of sorts.

Also, I picked up a Gundam Marker #21 so I'm going to give a try on paneling a 1/60 DYRL Hikaru KO that I have as a trial run.  See what happens.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

So, I did a thing:  I found both Yammie 1/48 weathered Hikkie AND the weathered SSP NEW/Unused on YJ and won the bid... I was actually the only one to bid.  I was surprised.  I'll probably ship Surface because those damn Yamato boxes are so big, so I won't get it for a couple of months.  But I'm stoked.  I was going to just take @jenius's advice and commission a weathering, but since the SSPs being weathered are rare and I was able to win the bid for under what the Valk alone is going for on eBay, I thought it was worth snagging as a grail of sorts.

Also, I picked up a Gundam Marker #21 so I'm going to give a try on paneling a 1/60 DYRL Hikaru KO that I have as a trial run.  See what happens.

I saw those, but decided to pick up the 1/60 weathered instead.

Need pics once yours show up.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

18 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I saw those, but decided to pick up the 1/60 weathered instead.

Need pics once yours show up.

Right on man!  Glad you passed on it.  I was only bidding once and moving on for that.  I've been thinking about the 1/60 but reports of flaws out of the box have scared me a bit.  I'm going to try paneling my KO first and see where that gets me.  Likely would do a 1/60 Max 1S weathered though.

And likewise on the pics when yours arrives!

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

I've also got a 1/60 weathered Roy from Jungle (as soon as EMS starts up again to the US). Though that one has flaking rainbow canopy and cracked shoulders I need to fix up.

I'm hoping the Hikaru is in good condition, listed as new in box, but it's an auction so...

6 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Are you experiencing any issues with the 1/60?  Any flaking on the canopy?  Now that I have the Hikaru 1/48 with weathered SSP, my next goal is the 1/60 Max 1S weathered with SSP too.

I don't have any issues with the canopy rainbow paint, as you see on the pictures they are well preserved. I think you must check the condition before buying them to avoid any future problems.

28 minutes ago, jenius said:

Crinkled rainbow effect is VERY common on the VF-1S Focker. I wouldn't buy one without seeing a picture of the canopy first.

Definitely true.

I love the Yamato Weathering editions in both 1/60 and 1/48. The Kakizaki 1/60 VF-1A doesn't show up anywhere very often.  Hoping I can track down a 1S Max that doesn't cost a fortune eventually .