Need help with analysis paralysis. What would you buy?

MInsHairyLegs

Loved robotech as a kid, and oddly enough, ever watched all of SDF Macross. Now, as an adult, I'm finally watching the original dubbed Japanese version, and loving it much more than Robotech. 

The question: well, this new adoration leads me to start collecting the toys, but there's SO MANY OPTIONS, that even with the help on these forums, I'm still a little confused.

So, if you had $250 plus shipping as a starting point of not going overboard on your first buy, and you were looking for a Roy, Hikaru, or Millia, what would you get? Looking to stay in the 1/48 or 1/60 scale, unless of course, you guys say that there's an absolutely amazing 1/100 worth owning above all others.

Thanks so much for all your help!

MHL

35 minutes ago, MInsHairyLegs said:

Loved robotech as a kid, and oddly enough, ever watched all of SDF Macross. Now, as an adult, I'm finally watching the original dubbed Japanese version, and loving it much more than Robotech. 

The question: well, this new adoration leads me to start collecting the toys, but there's SO MANY OPTIONS, that even with the help on these forums, I'm still a little confused.

So, if you had $250 plus shipping as a starting point of not going overboard on your first buy, and you were looking for a Roy, Hikaru, or Millia, what would you get? Looking to stay in the 1/48 or 1/60 scale, unless of course, you guys say that there's an absolutely amazing 1/100 worth owning above all others.

Thanks so much for all your help!

MHL

I started with a Yammie 1/60 V2 DYRL Roy and the urge to collect 'em all gets stronger every time I look at it.

Would not recomend the Yammie V1 Valks unless your plan is to keep them in fighter mode.

I don't own any of the DX VF-1 versions, but if you can abide the minor flaws [when/if they have them] they seem to be the new standard. Time will tell how they hold-up though.

you can't go wrong with Bandai's HMR line either... they got me hook-line-and-sinker on those... they're such great toys, and so fun to zoom around the room.

Personally, If I lost it all and had to start-over: I would start with a Roy 1/60.

And If you can find a TV Roy for your price range snap it up!

I'm going to grab a DX Roy when it happens [PLEASE be a TV version Bandai!!!!!!!!!!!! or at least give us both pilot figures]

Edited by slide

Yeah, it is a lot to take in just getting started.

The Arcadia 1/60 Roy with SS pack is where I started a few years ago, and it is right in your price range.  It's still a great toy, if a little dated.  There are Max and Milia's from that same line even cheaper (if you're not getting the premium finish versions). I'm not sure what it is going for at this point, but you could probably find one at around that price.  There are tons of options with regards to where to buy; I won't get into that here.

You might be able to score an opened/slightly used Bandai DX 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S for something pretty close to that price (you'll have to buy the super parts separately).  

Alternatively, you could play the waiting game and hope Bandai releases the Roy in their 1/48 line sometime soon.  But that is a bit of a gamble, because we don't know when they will release one, and getting one for MSRP is going to be quite difficult.  You'll also have to buy the super parts separately.

Just a word of caution: most of this stuff would have to be shipped from Japan, and shipping from Japan in nearly all forms has been delayed.

Hey @MInsHairyLegs welcome to Macross World . And welcome to collecting Valkyries. Now buckle up!

Yamato V2 , Bandai 1/48, Arcadia non premium finish (at your price range), Yamato 1/48.

Not necessarily in that order but those are what to look for. It's kind of personal what is preferred but the V2 Yamato is much loved. You may get just as overwhelmed on everyone's opinion. Lol. I will mention Bandai's HMR line (1/100) are fun and wonderful toys. But the size of the  1/60 & 1/48 is where i would start. Have fun with this hobby!

A 1/60 Yamato/Arcadia is a solid choice. The new Bandai 1/48’s are impressive. But like previously mentioned would need to pay extra for strike parts. HMR are definitely cool and well engineered but small.  If it were me I’d find a Bandai 1/48 Hikaru and hopefully pick up packs later. 

It's too bad HMR toys are in such limited production and that Bandai made Roy an exclusive. If you could get an HMR Strike Roy for like $80, it'd be a great, accessible, toy for folks who really want something to handle frequently. 

Since Milia is on your list, you can find her Arcadia release on sale at a few different stores right now as they try to liquidate the last of their stock from her previous release. That would be a great test case for you to see if you like what Arcadia is cooking these days. That said, your timing is awful due to the lack of shipping options from Japan right now. I'd wait and check back in like 60 days from now.

25 minutes ago, jenius said:

It's too bad HMR toys are in such limited production and that Bandai made Roy an exclusive. If you could get an HMR Strike Roy for like $80, it'd be a great, accessible, toy for folks who really want something to handle frequently. 

Since Milia is on your list, you can find her Arcadia release on sale at a few different stores right now as they try to liquidate the last of their stock from her previous release. That would be a great test case for you to see if you like what Arcadia is cooking these days. That said, your timing is awful due to the lack of shipping options from Japan right now. I'd wait and check back in like 60 days from now.

Thank you guys so far for your great suggestions! I did see that Japan is having some shipping issues right now, so I'm curious: what about the marketplace on ebay for picking a good deal up to tide me over until this whole issue settles in and Japan "opens up" again?

Thank you all for your help!

3 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Ebay is the devil. Stay away. Macross products are insanely overpriced in my experience, and mostly sold by people who have no love for the hobby. 

+1 

You might get lucky and find someone who wants to let their collection go. But they're probably a member here and would probably sell here first.

Edited by Bolt