Would you like to see return of original characters?

Psajdak

2 hours ago, Psajdak said:

I mean like sequel, or something closely related to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay, and maybe some other characters.

Nope... Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay's story reached its natural conclusion with Flash Back 2012.  A story that's already over doesn't need a continuation, and we DEFINITELY don't want to see them dragged back and subsequently beaten down the way The Show That Must Not Be Named has done to them over the last three decades and change.

Let them be.  Their story is over and they've almost literally sailed off into the sunset.

It's better by far for Macross to continue focusing on moving its story forward, with new people and new places.

2 hours ago, Psajdak said:

Maybe even (soft) reboot.

We've already had two different animated takes on their story (SDF Macross and DYRL?), a novelization by Sukehiro Tomita, several video game adaptations, and a modern manga adaptation (Macross the First).  I think we're good.

3 hours ago, Psajdak said:

I mean like sequel, or something closely related to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay, and maybe some other characters.

- haven't seen anything post Frontier series, btw.

I wouldn't mind a reboot...but it seems unlikely....

Thankfully you can live your reboot fantasies with these....

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I wouldn't mind a reboot...but it seems unlikely....

Thankfully you can live your reboot fantasies with these....

A shame they didn't re-do the whole series like this...unless I'm missing something here.

8 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

A shame they didn't re-do the whole series like this...unless I'm missing something here.

A shame indeed.....these were just snippets of various scenes from the original SDFM that were created for the Macross Fever pachinko game from a few years back.

I already saw this video once...

Can't tell what exactly, but something feels really wrong about how original series characters look in it.

Maybe that they should be redesigned for decades newer animation.

For instance, in Macross Zero, Roy looks nice, because he was redrawn to fit into 2000s anime.

I'm with Seto Kaiba on this one.

We also got to see a "what happened to ...?" story with Max and Miria.  And we all know how that turned out (Macross 7).  Not to mention the story changes necessitated by the modern age.  Mikimoto-san started to dabble with that in Macross the First with the introduction of smart phones... but never got around to addressing how that affected things like Ichijo sneaking out to use a pay phone to call Minmei, or that robot Polaroid camera that invokes much needed humour.

maybe the HOA said they didn’t want any cell towers in Macross City, so they just put in pay phones?

i liked seeing Roy in Macross Zero and evening liked seeing Max and Milia in M7, but I don’t know that I’d want to see more. Although I do like the bits and pieces we’ve gotten of other aspects of the Jenius family tree.

i would be interested in seeing shows set in between the shows already out, instead of jumping ahead in time again. Like a patrol group chasing down pirates from M7 Dynamite, or a random fleet in the 2030s so we could get some VF-4 and VF-11 action. 

I want to see the mechs again more than the people. Is that odd? Maybe a story of the second MegaRoad or something along those lines where the VF-1 is the primary fighter, the destroids are present, and there's some VF-11 precursor (or SV-51 follow-up) as a special ops vehicle. Maybe sprinkle in some VF-4s. Heck, the bad guys can even be Zentraedi or "supervision army". If they want to have a tagalong from the original show, I wouldn't be against that shoehorn. Admiral Claudia? I also wouldn't be opposed to them getting pretty much wiped out halfway through the show, then teaming up with an alien civilization to create some really alien looking mecha, to finally overcome the baddies. I'm thinking like transformable Gradius fighters. 

48 minutes ago, fhrex said:

A little off topic, but was anything ever said about whatever happened to Hikaru and Misa on their voyage in the Megaroad?

Specifically, no.  Indirectly... they travelled to the center of the galaxy and this happened:

http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/OTother/MinmeiLastMessage.php

Edited by sketchley

8 hours ago, jenius said:

I want to see the mechs again more than the people. Is that odd? Maybe a story of the second MegaRoad or something along those lines where the VF-1 is the primary fighter, the destroids are present, and there's some VF-11 precursor (or SV-51 follow-up) as a special ops vehicle. Maybe sprinkle in some VF-4s. Heck, the bad guys can even be Zentraedi or "supervision army". If they want to have a tagalong from the original show, I wouldn't be against that shoehorn. Admiral Claudia? I also wouldn't be opposed to them getting pretty much wiped out halfway through the show, then teaming up with an alien civilization to create some really alien looking mecha, to finally overcome the baddies. I'm thinking like transformable Gradius fighters. 

I agree with this—especially about a series set in the "great blank space" between SDFM and M+/M7—however, I disagree with the part about creating new alien mecha with an alien civilization.  In short, it'd be like Star Trek Enterprise and Discovery, or Macross Zero, with tech that appears more advanced occurring earlier in the timeline.

However, I'm all for it if it happens after Delta.  Would that make it great granny Admiral Claudia? :lol:

19 hours ago, Psajdak said:

No thanks.  As much as it might be cool , I don't think anyone could do it justice. And there's about zero chance Kawamori san would touch it . Having said that, i am working on a Megaroad -01 diorama hangar scene.There's a little bit of a story there, but that's my own pet project. The closest we might get now to any old character is (supposedly) lady M..<_<

Macross the first was working on being that. It was awesome ! But now it's indefinitely shelved.:(

- haven't seen anything post Frontier series, btw

While it's by no means my favorite, I would still recommend watching Delta.  There is, more than likely, going to be connections to the upcoming Delta Zettai Live!!!!!!

No. Direct sequels that take place a long time after the original generally end being rather poor.

Hikaru, Misa and the gang had their run and a great send off in 2012 with the Megaroad 1- Let the mistery live on forever.

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

No. Direct sequels that take place a long time after the original generally end being rather poor.

Hikaru, Misa and the gang had their run and a great send off in 2012 with the Megaroad 1- Let the mistery live on forever.

Let's face it: as soon as they were sure they were out of earth range, Misa strangled Minmay. :p

Dunno, if you ask me, it is just a shame for original trio to be completely gone forever, especially since they weren't around since 80s, if we only talk about anime.

Plus, even after all this time, they are still the most iconic characters in franchise, not counting major supporting ones.

I mean, sure, their fate kind of seems bittersweet, romantic, and mysterious, but maybe something could be done with the whole center of galaxy, black hole thing, like where they ended up in the future, or rather current time of next main series.

But then again, their story IS concluded, but being around as supporting cast, with maybe Minmay finding someone for herself...

Damn it.

Its a hard call - I would be up for a remake/reboot with modern top notch animation but personally I would want the iconic mech designs, uniforms and general look of the characters to remain the same. My worry if they did a remake they would redesign everything and screw it all the hell up.....

Edited by Petrov27

4 hours ago, Psajdak said:

Dunno, if you ask me, it is just a shame for original trio to be completely gone forever, especially since they weren't around since 80s, if we only talk about anime.

Plus, even after all this time, they are still the most iconic characters in franchise, not counting major supporting ones.

I mean, sure, their fate kind of seems bittersweet, romantic, and mysterious, but maybe something could be done with the whole center of galaxy, black hole thing, like where they ended up in the future, or rather current time of next main series.

But then again, their story IS concluded, but being around as supporting cast, with maybe Minmay finding someone for herself...

Damn it.

A story is only "concluded" as long as those who wrote it deem it so; specifically speaking, a person's "story" continues as long as they are alive.  As far as the story being "finished", I remember a certain Sci-Fi series that ended and then began again with a series of movies a decade later.

I think it was called... "Star Trek".

Folks may disagree; that is their right. But ti is my right to disagree with their disagreement. And I say...

"This is Megaroad-1; Captain Misa Ichijo calling.... thank heaven we were finally able to get through! We have a priority message for the Unity Government."

Edited by pengbuzz

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

A story is only "concluded" as long as those who wrote it deem it so; specifically speaking, a person's "story" continues as long as they are alive.  As far as the story being "finished", I remember a certain Sci-Fi series that ended and then began again with a series of movies a decade later.

I think it was called... "Star Trek".

Folks may disagree; that is their right. But ti is my right to disagree with their disagreement. And I say...

"This is Megaroad-1; Captain Misa Ichijo calling.... thank heaven we were finally able to get through! We have a priority message for the Unity Government."

Funny you should draw that parallel; Macross II and Star Trek The Next Generation debuted around the same time. 

16 hours ago, Psajdak said:

Damn it.

Iconic, yes. 
MOST iconic? No. 
A sequel to Frontier or 7 would make more sense financially, and of the two, Kawamori has said that he does have an idea for the latter.

(Although it’s equally unlikely that anything will come of that either, in my opinion)
https://www.decultureshock.com/nhks-ultimate-macross-poll/

AE4CE621-44E7-42DD-8D7D-00214DCD0C5F.jpeg.2cdee378bd484f38afeefbbde1ccb55c.jpeg

Differing fom the poll results, I take things differently:

1) Macross DYRL

2) Macross F movies

3) Macross SDF (originial TV)

4) Macross Plus

5) Macross F TV

6) Macross II

7) Macross Zero

8}  Macross Delta

9)  Macross 7

IMHO 8) 

Edited by fhrex

1 hour ago, fhrex said:

Differing fom the poll results, I take things differently:

1) Macross DYRL

2) Macross F movies

3) Macross SDF (originial TV)

4) Macross Plus

5) Macross F TV

6) Macross II

7) Macross Zero

8}  Macross Delta

9)  Macross 7

IMHO 8) 

Hope you voted that way in the poll then :-)

On 4/11/2020 at 1:06 AM, jenius said:

I'm with Jenius, I definitely think the Minmei et al. stories are nicely finished, but I'd love to see another fleet from that era, classic mecha with modern CGI. VF-1's of course but I'd love a more star treatment of VF-4's and VF-5000's.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:07 PM, Tochiro said:

Iconic, yes. 
MOST iconic? No. 
A sequel to Frontier or 7 would make more sense financially, and of the two, Kawamori has said that he does have an idea for the latter.

(Although it’s equally unlikely that anything will come of that either, in my opinion)
https://www.decultureshock.com/nhks-ultimate-macross-poll/

AE4CE621-44E7-42DD-8D7D-00214DCD0C5F.jpeg.2cdee378bd484f38afeefbbde1ccb55c.jpeg

I'd love a sequel of either. Yoshiki Fukuyama can still rock like the best of them and more Fire Bomber is always welcome for me.