Upgrading a classic: yet another custom Bandai/Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1

tekering

23 hours ago, Thom said:

I wonder how easy/hard it would be to use the sections, when you have it apart, to make rubber molds for resin copies. Wouldn't be transformable, but you could make yourself some resin versions to play with.

I think the cost of recasting such large parts would not warrant making copies. Recasting materials keeps getting more expensive. And to recoup costs well that’s a no-no around here at MW.

49 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I think the cost of recasting such large parts would not warrant making copies. Recasting materials keeps getting more expensive. And to recoup costs well that’s a no-no around here at MW.

Ohno, strictly personal, of course.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:45 AM, tekering said:

I only recently learned that Takatoku's original release had spelled Daedalus as "DAIDALOS" on the stickers, and actually came with Lancer II accessories...! 😮

takatoku_bigmacross23.jpg 

One can imagine how quickly those would've gotten lost. 😅

I was nonetheless inspired to do something similar:

374788353_planesonthedeck.jpg.9d78793b4bcd3dd8b454f7acc0b7f690.jpg

I thought Valkyries on the Prometheus deck would be far more appropriate (provided they were properly to scale). 😎

128981348_cleanPrometheusdeckclose-up.jpg.2fb3fb8cad420099b9e70dcf6fe03172.jpg

I kept them in a single color to maintain the toy aesthetic... and also because I'd have a great deal of trouble painting Valks that small anyway. 😬

You're preaching to the choir, buddy. 😔

Everything's glued, puttied, sanded smooth, painted with primer, puttied, sanded smooth, painted with primer, surfacer, base coat and clear coat, and finally ready for final assembly...

1114112874_blueplasticdisaster.jpg.f984a76acb135668b4f8f9658e7d48e8.jpg

...and then when you try and fit the parts back together, there's that horrifying sound of the plastic splitting and cracking, AGAIN. 🤕

I ended up using a lot of scrap styrene for internal reinforcement, wherever I could make space to do so. 

I could only imagine you disappointed and frustration after putting the finishing paints and it would crack.

My thoughts go out to you.

Would you post pics of you re-enforcement of the parts? Are you just adding glue or adding a styrene or metal structure for support?

On 8/22/2022 at 2:27 AM, Thom said:

I wonder how easy/hard it would be to use the sections, when you have it apart, to make rubber molds for resin copies.

It wouldn't be difficult for anyone used to working with silicone molds, but the resulting resin parts would be thin and likely just as fragile... 🤔

836970458_styrenereinforcement.jpg.9ddb842545895e3e5c31e85d52cec0cf.jpg

These styrene beams will reinforce the thin plastic areas and provide greater structural integrity.

115486444_structuralreinforcement.jpg.dde4332408c5b6d70cfe73ca1a47711c.jpg

I'm preparing for phase two, hyper-detailing the surface for a proper sense of scale. I'm pushing my printer to the limits of its resolution, trying to get panel lines as thin as possible:

1350637821_pushingthelimits.jpg.2233de030904566d0c56c64e72218a98.jpg

I might've overdone it a little. 😅

22 hours ago, Thom said:

And real nice on the paneling. Should look great when it's on.

Actually, I'm not so sure...

691162444_greenpanellines.jpg.15a6691fd23ee31b7cf93a7df6a6af38.jpg

The sealant coating turned the ink kind of greenish, and softened up the lines more than I had anticipated.

Plus, the pattern looks more like a circuit board than the hull of a battle fortress. 🤨

49 minutes ago, tekering said:

The sealant coating turned the ink kind of greenish, and softened up the lines more than I had anticipated.

Plus, the pattern looks more like a circuit board than the hull of a battle fortress. 🤨

Perhaps a light, translucent coat of white over the top, not to cover it but to fade it?

1 hour ago, tekering said:

It might just be the initial shock of the unexpected result on a single piece. I think it will look similar to anime close ups when the entire SDF-1 completely covered in this pattern. 

Blending and weathering could diffuse this.

8 hours ago, tekering said:

Basically, I agree with Thom and nighrmareB4macross:

7 hours ago, Thom said:

Perhaps a light, translucent coat of white over the top, not to cover it but to fade it?

6 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

It might just be the initial shock of the unexpected result on a single piece. I think it will look similar to anime close ups when the entire SDF-1 completely covered in this pattern. 

Blending and weathering could diffuse this.

As they said: if you mist a light coat of white over that and then pick out various panels and do them in differing shades of white/ grey, it would remove the circuit board effect. I had a similar result on mine when I did the tiny panels in paint and had to do that.

Don't get discouraged, tekkering: it's just a small speed-bump on the road to the Macross you always wanted. Been there, done that, ate the t-shirt. :D

Edited by pengbuzz

I appreciate the suggestions, gentlemen. :hi:

My second attempt is closer to the anime look I'm after:

372926653_secondpanelprint.jpg.7ce4ea20ce97ffe1268bc772894c240f.jpg

I added a purple tint to the image, which counteracts the effect of the clearcoat and ends up a neutral grey. :good:

828280214_secondpaneltest.jpg.b176ba5e0fb64214a8e24a82e76b944c.jpg

It's still not exactly what I want, but it's a definite improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 3:44 AM, tekering said:

I appreciate the suggestions, gentlemen. :hi:

My second attempt is closer to the anime look I'm after:

372926653_secondpanelprint.jpg.7ce4ea20ce97ffe1268bc772894c240f.jpg

I added a purple tint to the image, which counteracts the effect of the clearcoat and ends up a neutral grey. :good:

828280214_secondpaneltest.jpg.b176ba5e0fb64214a8e24a82e76b944c.jpg

It's still not exactly what I want, but it's a definite improvement.

Hi Tekering,

Hope your project is coming along and progressing well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year, guys!  🎊

389561331_Nengajo2023.jpg.7e8549c367c2c292e09633cca750c423.jpg

As you can see, I've been busy curating my collection beyond the anime room... 😅

I've been offered a whole table at this year's Mikansei Hobby Show as well, and I'm hoping to complete all my Invid garage kits in time for the event.  The SDF-1 project will be set aside for the time being.

Thanks for your continued interest. ☺️

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, arbit said:

@tekering Wow, the Matchbox has never looked so good! Fantastic work,

A couple questions:  I am worried about your wood screws eating away at the plastic over time. Maybe I misunderstand the mechanism, but could you possibly use a screw and nut with washer instead?  You could lodge the nut with epoxy (Add some pla plate to fully bury the nut).

Since you are planning to change up the guns, have you seen @Nyankodevice's SDF-1 guns on Thingiverse?  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5389365

hi guys i made an updated version of my cannons, also i have uploaded new rail cannons too

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5961035 the new cannon

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5961048 the Rail cannon

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5961088 missile turrets

@tekering this is looking good, keep up the good work

Edited by Nyankodevice

How hard would it be to make the little support vessels in a 3D printer?

Ever since the Model Package Art book came out, I've been hoping someone would take it up as a fun side project, and would look especially good on such a fantastic custom. :)

image.png

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Ever since the Model Package Art book came out, I've been hoping someone would take it up as a fun side project, and would look especially good on such a fantastic custom. :)

image.png

Doesn't look that difficult... although I don't have a 3D printer, I could probably scratch that up by hand. :D

20 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

hi guys i made an updated version of my cannons, also i have uploaded new rail cannons too

Very nice!

19 hours ago, Shawn said:

It's not that clear to me what that elevating gun looks like, or where it goes exactly.

The rolling vehicle to carry the Daedalus is more clear, but you would have to design it for a specific model or toy, I guess.

31 minutes ago, arbit said:

Very nice!

It's not that clear to me what that elevating gun looks like, or where it goes exactly.

The rolling vehicle to carry the Daedalus is more clear, but you would have to design it for a specific model or toy, I guess.

The gun seems to be the entire back of the leg, like on the 1/3000 toy.

54 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

The gun seems to be the entire back of the leg, like on the 1/3000 toy.

Yeah, looking at the diagram, it’s definitely the back of the lower leg in ship mode. I don’t remember seeing the back open up like that in the show, but there appears to be a cannon and oddly placed missile tubes 

40 minutes ago, Big s said:

Yeah, looking at the diagram, it’s definitely the back of the lower leg in ship mode. I don’t remember seeing the back open up like that in the show, but there appears to be a cannon and oddly placed missile tubes 

dont think it made it into any animated media, also imo its a badly placed weapon, theres already a turret and a missile turret placed on top of it..

but i could easily make a version for my ship, since its so big..

Edited by Nyankodevice

2 hours ago, arbit said:

Very nice!

im more concerned about the weight it must carry on those 4 small wheels, wouldnt it sink down into the ground?

Edited by Nyankodevice

22 hours ago, Shawn said:

image.png

looking at the translation it says something about takatoku missile in legs