Upgrading a classic: yet another custom Bandai/Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1

tekering

47 minutes ago, tekering said:

So, I've been experimenting with a way to give those flat, featureless portions of the hull a greater sense of scale...

486317503_manualattempt.jpg.39f5337fccb0e997abd3b6a3f3da749e.jpg

Still using the Hasegawa as a guinea pig, I tried the ol' ILM approach, with intersecting lines and raised panels.  This is how the Star Destroyer studio models were detailed.

sloppy.jpg.5d2b932ab85ede335622a0f4529886b5.jpg

Unfortunately, the results looked crude and sloppy, so I abandoned the analog approach and decided to rely on digital tools instead.

405092381_decaltest.jpg.c884b943a8d24a10b775bd880461b7a0.jpg

I created this pattern in Photoshop, and printed it onto clear decal paper.  This is far more detailed than what I could do by hand.

1873618910_theimpressionofscale.jpg.9a7f8b9803bfb18af1e5e8821322b1de.jpg

The results were definitely more encouraging this time.  ^_^

Love your devotion to the build. 

what about “azteking?” Could you achieve the same effect with masking and paint. I believe WMCheng did this with his 1/3000 Yamato SDF-1 and the results were incredible and produced a results that made the ship feel bigger.

You guys are giving me inspiration to do another custom SDF-1 but with a ridiculous amount of bells and whistles. That’s why I love this forum, people are great in sharing and the possibilities are endless for customizing.

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Added “azteking” effect link.

6 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

what about “azteking?” Could you achieve the same effect with masking and paint.

Indeed, I've given some serious thought to getting laser-cut stencils custom-made for masking purposes, since (as recent efforts have proven) doing it by hand is labor-intensive and ultimately ineffective...  :unsure:

The feedback and encouragement is always appreciated.  ^_^

1 minute ago, tekering said:

Indeed, I've given some serious thought to getting laser-cut stencils custom-made for masking purposes, since (as recent efforts have proven) doing it by hand is labor-intensive and ultimately ineffective...  :unsure:

Your dedication to this project is damned inspiring good sir!:good:

I was wondering about the panels themselves. I never really noticed a particular size of panel  that would be used on areas like the booms or legs. Do you have a reference you’re using to determine the size? 

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well...  ^_^

If it's not worth doing, give it to Rimmer.  :p

33 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I never really noticed a particular size of panel  that would be used on areas like the booms or legs. Do you have a reference you’re using to determine the size? 

Nope, just real-world logic.  The smaller, the better.

Honestly, at this scale, there shouldn't be visible panel lines at all... but if they're too small to be visible, what's the point of doing the work?  :lol:

51 minutes ago, tekering said:

If it's not worth doing, give it to Rimmer.  :p

Nope, just real-world logic.  The smaller, the better.

Honestly, at this scale, there shouldn't be visible panel lines at all... but if they're too small to be visible, what's the point of doing the work?  :lol:

That was my thought process. I originally purchased a set of multicolored .07 led pencils to draw panel lines, but the results made the ship feel smaller. Another alter move was to create panels using Tamiya tape but it just didn’t look right as the edges appeared too raised.

Can’t wait to see what you decide to do with this.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Cool ideas Tekering! I think your decal idea was great! Have you considered multiple colors of lines, maybe slightly off color panel lines? Similar to regular models or metalic model finishes? I'm thinking about getting one of those cri-cut machines. It could cut masks, stencils, thin styrene and my decals out after printing. Thin styrene may help too. I think you had a good idea with that. It just has to be straight or it looks off. Keep up the great ideas! - MT  

On 5/5/2020 at 2:33 AM, tekering said:

I would try using pencil to do slightly off-shade "panels", then use a kneaded eraser to fade them (dab them with the eraser), rahter than "lines". Once you're happy with them, then you could clear-coat it to make it permanent (keeping in mind it gets a bit darker with clear coat). I'd get a scrap of flat styrene, paint half white and half blue (hull colors) and try it out on that first to see if it would work for you and to see if the clear coat would make the pencil too dark.

On that note: I've also used colored pencils to do a "color filter" effect on models; you might want to look into those as well if you get a moment.

So, as a slightly ridiculously intensive alternative.. what if you masked panels, and then sprayed from alternating directions, in slightly different shades?

Only reason this pops into my head is that I've been rewatching Babylon 5 recently, and while the CGI is utterly ancient, that's a very prominent feature on the ships.  Everything looked like it was slightly heat-blasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to so many of your wonderful suggestions, I've attempted to incorporate different shades and off-color panels to enhance the level of detail:

1835884546_detailedmidsection.jpg.cbe7554080328d06aa10cb06b2b552ed.jpg

I'm not sure if I want every surface covered, or how well it will show up in the darker areas, but I'm very pleased with how it's looking on the Hasegawa kit so far.  8)

792188781_detailedprow.jpg.bed9399a705556841fe3cf72d1ced687.jpg

In the meantime, I've built up the sides on the Matchbox Daedalus with styrene, hollowed out the interior and scratch-built a prow hatch:

1381656244_Daedalusprofile.jpg.d46a1acabc49e9b7b4833ab2103b82f5.jpg

It's starting to look more like the ship I remember from the anime.  :good:

605342995_Daedalusscratch.jpg.c7a6fa887abe11560f0116557f751849.jpg

Now to figure out a hinge mechanism...!  ^_^

2064205685_Daedalusopen.jpg.9b5052c77223a0ecf5c1dabe9759923f.jpg

Very cool!!!!

I've been in the "hot rod" world (cars, motorcycles, etc) my entire life. What you're doing is classic hot rodding. I LOVE IT!:good:

There aren't enough "hot rodders" left in the world.

Tekering,

Those panels look fantastic!!

I can only imagine how they would look on the 1/3000.

And the reshapeing pf the Daedalus is simply stunning!!

For hinges there are a multitude of sources. You can either look in model train stores or sites for PE types. Or use option parts for Gundam.

Seriously, this build is breathtaking.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:18 PM, tekering said:

I'm waiting patiently to see how you decide to finish this project.  I agree with the above quote.  I see Navy ships all the time. Beyond a certain distance you cannot see the separate plates and welds.  For something that's 1,200-ish meters at 1:3000 scale, it is difficult to see indeed.  Unless the gaps are HUGE.  Or you can go with the "just returned to earth/too big to wash" look.  :p

Random Thought: Star Trek Federation ships baffle me.  You really should see no plates.  If you use transporter technology you should be able to achieve a seamless, one piece hull.  Replicate parts in-place.

Edited by DewPoint
Random thought

46 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Random Thought: Star Trek Federation ships baffle me.  You really should see no plates.  If you use transporter technology you should be able to achieve a seamless, one piece hull.  Replicate parts in-place.

Hmm, never thought of that; randomly or otherwise lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 1:35 AM, Mog said:

Any updates or additional mods done? 

Just the Daedalus, I'm afraid...

416035863_paintedDaedaluslow.jpg.d37f4590ae05d2e594d0652702a98c6e.jpg

Work has kept me busy this month.

232106090_paintedDaedalushigh.jpg.315c30796af79a04bdfed37c07dfdccc.jpg

I'm pleased with this color scheme, so I'll apply it to the Matchbox as well.

On 5/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, tekering said:

Ted,

If you make the file I can cut it on my plotter.

Cheers,

Brett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/23/2020 at 4:45 AM, tekering said:

Just the Daedalus, I'm afraid...

416035863_paintedDaedaluslow.jpg.d37f4590ae05d2e594d0652702a98c6e.jpg

Work has kept me busy this month.

232106090_paintedDaedalushigh.jpg.315c30796af79a04bdfed37c07dfdccc.jpg

I'm pleased with this color scheme, so I'll apply it to the Matchbox as well.

Now that looks good 👍👍

• 3 weeks later...

After a two-year hiatus, I'm finally back at it!  From here on out, I'm going to post weekly updates to this build until it's finally completed.

400656964_redface.jpg.65c7480e73082677516a5bae3be63303.jpg

Despite the narrative significance of the Macross bridge, Takatoku made absolutely no attempt to reproduce it on the toy.  All we got was a solid red inset in the conning tower, where the bridge should've been visible (had there at least been a clear plastic piece)...

1969517016_hollowhead.jpg.0ff60ad87f298871440bccc198940ca4.jpg

So the first thing I did was to hollow out the "head."

1016295244_missingface.jpg.4a4d98ff8a592f205bb17ec977c75779.jpg

I've got plenty of dental files for detailed work like this:

494658392_dentalfiles.jpg.4f2cd9b50bdb08f936c17f92d523ad34.jpg

Nevertheless, it's very difficult to be accurate at this scale.  As you can see, the opening is very small -- less than a centimeter, in fact -- and I needed a special macro focus lens just to photograph it properly.

1848639640_awaitingface.jpg.2735f897df9183a94d8a1c1af231a8b0.jpg

Now, scratchbuilding a bridge at this scale would be impossible, of course (and I don't have access to a liquid-resin 3D printer), so kitbashing is the only viable solution here.  ILM elevated kitbashing to an art form making Star Wars, creating incredibly detailed studio miniatures by adding little bits and pieces from unrelated model kits, so that will be both my inspiration and (thanks to Bandai) my source of parts:

1672404809_Bandaikitbashing.jpg.61686f1ee02c046d69cfd9f8870c14d3.jpg

Bandai's insanely small "Vehicle Model" line of Star Wars kits includes a highly-detailed Star Destroyer I can cannibalize parts from, approximating the multi-level "face" of the SDF-1.

1239194612_kitbashedbridge.jpg.5eb6c5bb83e672fed702dd25d36da23f.jpg

Once the seam lines in the conning tower are removed and the "head" is painted, I can add a transparent plastic cover.