Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

Mandarake just got back to me and you guys were right. With packaging the weight increased to 2570grams. Thats a lot of carboard right there. 

So be advised that 8100jpy is what you will have to pay for shipping something similar. 

Now it's time for me to decide if 114eur for a yammie yf-19 is a good price or not, but that is another storie. 

Thanks everyone. 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:17 AM, Captain Global said:

One question, Is EMS getting more expensive? Recently placed an order in mandarake for a Yammie YF 19 and they  want to charge me 8100 for a 1220 gram package. It has nothing to do with the prices stated in their charts nor with the estimations I also made with buyee. Has anyone experienced something similar?

On 11/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, Anasazi37 said:

And EMS is more expensive in general these days, often higher than alternatives like FedEx, UPS, and DHL. It used to be very much the opposite. I think it's mostly because Japan Post has to contract with other organizations to get their EMS stuff shipped, which I think historically were commercial airlines, and there simply aren't as many passenger flights out of Japan right now. They're likely contracting with whomever they can find, and it's not cheap. Greater expense for them means higher prices for consumers....

Correct! Not enough normal air travel for the old ways of getting mail around means they have to pay for space on dedicated flights. Which is why they added, like, a 40% "temporary" surcharge. Which may or may not ever disappear for all anyone knows.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share my first experience with using EMS in two years. HLJ was offering discounted shipping before Christmas, but only on EMS or Surface. I wasn't in a hurry to get my Hasegawa VF-1J GBP kit, but I did want to ship it, so I figured what the heck, let's give EMS a try and see what happens. With the discount, it was about $6 less than FedEx and DHL. It usually costs more than those options right now. I won't use EMS again unless/until things return to something like the normal we had pre-pandemic.   Package was posted on 24 Dec and reached the local post office on 25 Dec. Hit customs in Los Angeles on 28 Dec and sat there for 11 days. Finally reached my city on 08 Jan and was delivered yesterday, 10 Jan. So, for only slightly less than a courier service that takes 3-5 days, I had to wait 18 days. And this wasn't a holiday or Omicron slowdown situation. I had an express mail package from Canada take just as long in early December, including more than a week at customs in Chicago. Bottom line: EMS, especially at full price, probably isn't worth it for folks in the US right now (my opinion). I understand that it might be an attractive option for folks in other countries where you get nailed on customs duties when you use a courier service, but don't expect your package to arrive quickly....

I'm going to guess that the bottleneck there is entirely LA.  Everything just stops dead there and sits in limbo for weeks.  FedEx and DHL have the benefit of taking alternate routes, from what I can tell.  FedEx seems to come in through Alaska, and DHL always seems to go through a hub in Ohio.

Edited by Chronocidal

This has been my experience as well. I was mainly running an experiment to see if EMS was even remotely back to what it used to be and...nope. Granted, the package left Japan within a few days, which is good, but once it hit US customs it just sat there, so the benefit of a rapid departure from Japan were completely wiped out. I'd rather continue to pay the same amount (or less) for FedEx or DHL.

I got a Hasegawa GBP from HLJ via EMS on Dec 23rd (just re-checked shipping email) and nothing has arrived here yet...usually says received at the LA Customs...last message still says outbound from Tokyo.

Wonder if the holidays have backed things up again?
image.png.f9c7285dcc5427296cec3fd809ad02db.png

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

I got a Hasegawa GBP from HLJ via EMS on Dec 23rd (just re-checked shipping email) and nothing has arrived here yet...usually says received at the LA Customs...last message still says outbound from Tokyo.

Wonder if the holidays have backed things up again?
image.png.f9c7285dcc5427296cec3fd809ad02db.png

I shipped my Hasegawa GBP from HLJ at the same time and in the same way. Arrived one week ago, after a long delay at LA Customs. Stateside customs seems to be the big bottleneck these days, but yeah, you would normally see an "arrival" notification within a few days of the package leaving Tokyo. However, a friend of mine recently had an EMS package sit in Tokyo at the "dispatch" stage for a few weeks before it finally showed up in LA last week. I don't think he's alone in that happening. Holidays likely had an impact.

image.png.68a21bbc6e23df600e84696a8942d19b.png

Edited by Anasazi37

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

And it's here.  5 days door to door, that's pretty good for EMS from Japan.  

That's great!  I wished they EMS to Canada.

• 1 month later...

Hey any news about shipping to Canada from Japan?  HLJ only offers FedEx or DHL to Canada.  I have a Hasegawa Regult model sitting in the warehouse, I hate to pay more for shipping that the model is worth.  I don't need it any time soon.  Anyone thinks Japan will ship to Canada via other slower/cheaper methods anytime in the next 59 days?

32 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Hey any news about shipping to Canada from Japan?  HLJ only offers FedEx or DHL to Canada.  I have a Hasegawa Regult model sitting in the warehouse, I hate to pay more for shipping that the model is worth.  I don't need it any time soon.  Anyone thinks Japan will ship to Canada via other slower/cheaper methods anytime in the next 59 days?

Hey @wm cheng. Here's the latest info on Japan Post's service availability for Canada:

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/overview_en.html

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/overview_en.pdf

japanpost_canada_2022-02-24.jpg.bbb41f43c1ef9e0c75907745a0a2700f.jpg

I hope this situation changes in the next 58 days - right now I just can't justify $65cdn ($45 Fedex + $20 brokerage & customs & duties) to deliver a $35 model kit to Canada - ARGH!

Wonder whats going on in Japan?  All the restrictions are relaxing here in Canada, in fact they don't even require masks or vaccine passports as of March 1st (at least in Ontario).  Is Japan still bad off with Omicron?

38 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Wonder whats going on in Japan?  All the restrictions are relaxing here in Canada, in fact they don't even require masks or vaccine passports as of March 1st (at least in Ontario).  Is Japan still bad off with Omicron?

Going by John Hopkin's coronavirus map: in the last 28 days, Japan has moved up to #9 worst, and Canada has improved to #43.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Another way to visualize it (c/o BBC news):

_123336384_jh_region_chart_region_as_202

59 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

It is not so much how well we are doing in Canada, but rather the shut down of international flights into Japan.  Japan Post uses cargo space on commercial flights to transport items.  The situation will not improve until Japan reopens to tourists.  Surface is still available, but the docks are so backlogged, HLJ will not use them.  HLJ has temporarily lifted the 60 limit on PWH.  If the situation does not improve, maybe  a bunch of Canadians can get together to have a bulk shipment sent to 1 person to redistribute.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Considering that there is zero evidence that the restrictions keep infection/death numbers down (there is actually new evidence out of I think its Stanford the restrictions cause more deaths) what is going on in Japan is politics. Not science.

Huh, I didn't know its so bad over there (or around the world for that matter, the news here generally is really local unfortunately).  It looks like its dropping, hopefully it will improve over the next two months.  Shipping has been killing me lately and causing me to think twice about any new purchases. 

Where does it say the 60 limit has been lifted at HLJ?  I still have that countdown "58 days until automatic shipping" in my Private Warehouse.

7 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Huh, I didn't know its so bad over there (or around the world for that matter, the news here generally is really local unfortunately).  It looks like its dropping, hopefully it will improve over the next two months.  Shipping has been killing me lately and causing me to think twice about any new purchases. 

Where does it say the 60 limit has been lifted at HLJ?  I still have that countdown "58 days until automatic shipping" in my Private Warehouse.

Hope these HLJ links help regarding your inquiry:

As of December 22, 2021:

Japan Post has announced that they will no longer be accepting Airmail Small Packet shipments to the Canada, effective December 22, 2021.    

If your package was dispatched prior to this date: In the event that your package returns to HLJ, we will contact you as soon as possible to inform you.

https://support.hlj.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412634721177-Update-Regarding-Airmail-Small-Packet-to-Canada

As of May 19, 2021:

Japan Post has announced that they will no longer be accepting Surface Parcel shipments to Canada, effective May 19th 2021.      

All Surface Parcel shipments to Canada until this point have been accepted and are still on their way. So for those who have already shipped, there is no need to worry- your orders remain en route and will be processed in order of acceptance. Please also be aware that there is the possibility that arrival times may be delayed by around three months compared to normal transport time owing to extreme cargo congestion.

https://support.hlj.com/hc/en-us/articles/900007208023-Update-Regarding-Surface-Mail-to-Canada

As of December 8, 2021 regarding Private Warehouse:

Is it possible to extend the time in my Private Warehouse?

Yes, it is, and we are doing it for everyone automatically. We know that many of our fellow hobbyists are affected by the Coronavirus and lockdowns, and we are more than willing to work with you regarding your individual situation. All Private Warehouse orders are already being extended, but if you need more personal assistance, please contact us and one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives will do their best to accommodate you.  

We can hold your items for you until things calm down. The Automated Shipping Process for Private Warehouse orders has been temporarily switched off.

https://support.hlj.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000410606-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Regarding-the-Coronavirus-Situation

31 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Japan was "late" in starting their vaccine program. Many residents do not even have their 2nd dose yet. Hospital capacity also seems low. Not sure how much hospital per capita they have there.

There isn't a "vaccine" (put in quotes because it doesn't meet the classic definition of  a vaccine) for Omicron. It doesn't matter when their vax program started.

There is actually significant evidence that the "vaccine" makes you more prone to get Omicron within 2-3 weeks after injection than if you have no vaccine at all.  

Follow the science. 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Hope these HLJ links help regarding your inquiry:

As of December 22, 2021:

As of May 19, 2021:

As of December 8, 2021 regarding Private Warehouse:

Thanks @no3Ljm that last link to "Our website will still show the normal countdown, and you may still receive warning emails, although the actual automated process itself will be stopped and you can ignore these messages." puts me more at ease

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks @no3Ljm that last link to "Our website will still show the normal countdown, and you may still receive warning emails, although the actual automated process itself will be stopped and you can ignore these messages." puts me more at ease

You're welcome sir! Glad to be of help. :hi:

8 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Japan was "late" in starting their vaccine program. Many residents do not even have their 2nd dose yet. Hospital capacity also seems low. Not sure how much hospital per capita they have there.

as of 02/22 (c/o 読売新聞):

80.2% 1 dose

79.0% 2 doses

14.4% 3 doses

13 hours ago, DewPoint said:

11,125 new cases reported today.  Trending down.  I guess we all wait and see.

That's correct, but only for Tokyo (24 hours ago.  Tonight it's 11,562).

24 hours ago, Japan saw 65,671 new cases* (tonight it's 72,165**).

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/topics/covid19/

* https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20220225-OYT1T50247/

** https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20220226-OYT1T50162/

Edited by sketchley

New case counts only means something to politicians. It's an irrelevant number when assessing the danger of a pandemic. There are a zillion factors to consider aside from total number of cases.

Am I the only person on the planet that had 7th grade science classes?:rofl:

I come across this lack of science disregard all the time!  It drives me insane.  Either people are just plain stupid nowadays, or don't think its relevant, or ignore it because it convenient.  The biggest influence on the world Trump ever contributed was the discreditation of science.  It's easier than to learn, so everyone jumps on it's bandwagon (plus it usually doesn't serve politics).